Musicians Here?

exexex

• 10 months later...

Drummer, Guitarist and composer here.

Have a band from Elementary to College Days, but now a fully devoted father.

Musical Influences ranges from:

> the Beatles

> 90's rock (LA 105.9, NU 107.5, Grunge, Metal, pinoy rock)

> New age punk (Mxpx, NFG, and other related genre)

> Indie (Foreign and Local)

> Others that picks my interest like Benfolds, Mae and DLD of course

What's a sonar LE and what's a VST? Saka is there a site you can recommend that can help me set-up my own home recording stuff? Thanks in advance...

Sonar is what's usually called a DAW or digital audio workstation. A few other popular ones are ableton live, logic and even garage band. DAWS essentially allow you to mix and master various tracks together to complete a song. A VST is essentially a plugin standard for DAWs so these add additional capabilities. Typically, these can either be instruments (like synthesizers) or effects.

Therecordingrevolution.com is a good resource. If you're starting out you'll need a reasonably powered PC, an audio interface for recording audio input and good pair of monitoring speakers or headphones and a DAW. You might also want to look into investing in a midi keyboard.

Ok, let's see if I got this. So the Sonar LE is software, located in a PC while the VST is an external machine plugged into the PC to work with the DAW?

I'll take a look at the site you mentioned. I'm used to mixing stuff in a 4track Korg or the 8 track Boss that I have, so am not familiar with all of these. If I have further questions, I hope I can bug you from time to time...

Thanks for the inputs bro!

VSTs are also software. they just extend DAW capabilities. Check out the http://bedroomproducersblog.com/ for a load of free ones.

I think for most people here, we tend to listen to music that we know how to play. I used to prefer acoustic versions of songs since the guitar was my primary instrument. But I Shifted to electronic music since it was hard to organize a group as you get older... At least you can fill in the range of instruments needed to get a complete song done. Composition is still a challenge since I'm not professionally trained though..

IM Using Sonar LE - would anyone know kung ok ang Guitar Rig na ipartner dito for guitar effects and amps? TIA

Guitar Rig ng Native Instruments right? I have Komplete but rarely use Guitar Rig. Medyo mabigat sa CPU yung mega NI plugins but not seeing issues naman . I use Ableton and seems to work for me but not sure about Sonar.

For live or recorded? You might want to consider the various IOS apps out there for effects -- Bias, Amplitude, Jamup. They're pretty decent and costs cheaper than PC based solutions too....

Edited by bufferoverflow

Great inputs, thanks! Yeah, although I play all the instruments and I have a complete set of instruments at home (drums, bass, lots of electric and acoustic guitars, keyboards, mics and portable PA system), it also just takes too much time to record all the stuff individually, plus I can't really record the drums live. So I shifted to electronic stuff and started creating backing tracks on my own. Eventually, I found out you can download backing tracks, with even the original vocals included, so I now play to a selection of minus-1s (no guitar) or minus-2s (no vocals and guitar). I used to rely on my 4/8 track recorder for playing but now, I just use my phone to play the backing tracks on the PA or through my multi-effect pedals and playing the guitar alongside.

Composition is also a challenge for me, but I just make do as hobbyist. But I am not happy with the quality of the audio that I make when I do recording, it's certainly good enough for making demos but not good enough for commercial release. Sometimes lubog yung bass, or my usual mortal sin, guitars that are too dominant. I'm thinking maybe doing things via the PC might prove a better option.

So what music do you play? Got any samples that you care to share? I'll see if I can share mine, get some feedback from you.

Hope somebody also organizes some activities here, cheers!

Cool. Maybe we can collab. Let me figure out first how to do it...

Recording from live input is ALWAYS hard. Plus expensive since the quality of the analog components (microphone and preamp) really do affect the sound. So in many cases it can be a real money pit. You need to invest in both quality instruments plus recording gear plus software and hardware. More so with drums since you need a multi mic setup on the drums plus overhead for room acoustics. For me 2 condenser mics is all I can afford.

I produce mainly dance music since frankly it's the easiest to make from a purely digital context (one week kaya) but I'm not married to the gene. I'm pretty eclectic in my tastes.

Do share your raw recordings so I can practice my mixing and mastering skills as well. Medyo alats sa composition recently so I need to get back into a regular cycle of working with music. Even for me, mixing your own work tends to be too subjective.

Agree with you on sharing samples and feedback...

The acoustic guitar part is the one that's recorded hence the crappiest sound in the mix, the rest are virtual instruments powered by various plugins and ableton live....

Feedback welcome folks or if someone would like to help with lyrics/vocals or take the track in a different direction, I can post the stems elsewhere.

I would suggest that people start posting their recordings via soundcloud, media fire and see where other people can take their work. You never know....

Have a nice day!!! :-)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...