The Art of War

I'm giving the advantage to Alexander the Great mainly coz of the countries he conquered.

@macbolan

The phrase "of all-time" was used by historians in the History channel when they described Hannibal.

unfortunately, even american media men are not spared the stupidity. they apply it to all sorts of things like michael jordan to basketball, phelps to olympic swimming, etc. i suppose it sounds nice, even when used editorially.

you can use the qualifier only if the record appears "physically impossible" to surpass or, if there are likely no future contenders to the record. jordan has no record that looks remotely impossible to break (my greatest hoopster is still jabbar with chamberlain a close second.)

an example of the first is baseball great ty cobb whose lifetime hits amounted to such an impossible level, compared to past and present baseball players, that he was named by the guiness book to be the greatest batter of all time. his record for lifetime number of hits and lifetime batting average stood well after his death at an old age in 1961. but, writers didn't reckon on a player who would stick to professional baseball as long as pete rose. he broke ty cobb's hallowed record for number of hits in the 80s, more than 20 years after the latter's death. rose played many more years than cobb. and rose's lifetime batting average is nowhere near cobb's. so writers revised the pronouncement on cobb as "the greatest batter in history." rose has the most hits.

an example of the second instance is olympic wrestler tabb thacker who retired from wrestling with a fighting weight of 400 pounds. after that, the IOC put a cap on wrestlers' weight at 250 pounds, making thacker the heaviest olympian of all time.

and don't confuse "all-time" record with a record "for all time."

Edited by macbolan00
Guest megalodon
Caesar did outgeneral Pompey in the civil war, though in my personal opinion that was because Pompey was saddled by the Senate of Rome.

So if Caesar and ATG went head to head, who's army would you think would be victorious?

Guest megalodon
I really don't know, which is why I was asking it here. I can (and have) debate both sides, citing examples of why so and so would be in so and so's favor, in the end though, I'm drawing a blank.

I see. I gave my pick. Let's fast forward to the 20th century. All things being equal meaning both have the same armor: Apaches, Comanches, M1a1s, Bradleys, etc. Who do you think will win in desert warfare, the The Desert Fox or Fred Franks?

Edited by megalodon
I see. I gave my pick. Let's fast forward to the 20th century. All things being equal meaning both have the same armor: Apaches, Comanches, M1a1s, Bradleys, etc. Who do you think will win in desert warfare, the The Desert Fox or Fred Franks?

Rommel was a past master at stretching his supplies to the limit, he won many battles despite the odds against him. Franks seems to be good also, but then again with the overwhelming advantage of tech and supplies, not to mention forces against the Iraqis. For this, I'd say Rommel would win.

i found out only recently that lee's estate consisted of much of arlington cemetary. it was expropriated by the yankees. sad.
Actually a US Supreme Court decision returned the estate to the heirs of Marse Lee in 1878, however, it was sold back to the Federal Government a year later as a place to bury the dead for US150,000.00 (a very big amount back then.)

Hmmm ... I wonder though how any of the modern generals of today would have fared in warfare similar to that found during the American Civil War.

20th century warfare was won and lost through logistics (production and transport.) 18th and 19th century warfare was still the era of sea supremacy; the ability to outflank an enemy by whole latitudes or, in the case of the USCW, keep sea lanes open. it's a war won by presidents and kings, not generals. but if you'll ask me which general would have fared best for land fighting, i'll go with macarthur. he wasn't so great in mechanized but understood infantry fighting best.

20th century warfare was won and lost through logistics (production and transport.) 18th and 19th century warfare was still the era of sea supremacy; the ability to outflank an enemy by whole latitudes or, in the case of the USCW, keep sea lanes open. it's a war won by presidents and kings, not generals. but if you'll ask me which general would have fared best for land fighting, i'll go with macarthur. he wasn't so great in mechanized but understood infantry fighting best.
I don't know about that, all the campaigns I've read, everything was won or loss based on Logistics, for example Julian the Apostate won each and every battle he fought in, but because he burnt his own ships, was unable to support his army which caused his defeat and death.

Even Hannibal could barely support his armies, whereas the Roman Republic and later the Roman Empire, would build those stupendous roads to help move their supplies. Has anything changed today? I don't think so ... somehow it seems that logistics is still very important, Hitler's armies in North Africa and Russia lost because he couldn't supply them properly.

MacArthur? Hmmm ... interesting choice ... he was pretty darned good.

for one thing, macarthur remembers both world war 1 and even the pacification of the philippines (his dad's handiwork.)

ancient warfare depended in large part on one's capacity for "complete victory." to really defeat a nation, you destroy its army, prevent the creation of a new army, and in general weaken that country's capacity to wage war in the future. a strong logistics doesn't always accomplish this. armies then lived off the land! all genghis khan's cavalry needed to keep fighting were enough remounts (easy to keep well horses and capture new ones,) enough horse meat and milk to feed the troops (they were riding mobile food dispensers,) and grass for the horses (ok, avoid desert and tundra fighting.) hannibal hardly had anything to add to his force in italy, so what support would he have wanted? edward I, II, up to the black prince (who would have been edward III) had everything going for them in the 100 years they fought france. same thing with the british who tried to retain their US colonies. so why did they fail? in ancient times up to the 19th century, the mechanism of war dampened the effectiveness of "invasive" logistics. that's because your enemy, though he is fighting right in his front yard, can easily match your production at home. everything's even-steven as long as both sides are lined up and fighting. there was no concept of "strategic production." of course, kings could patiently wait up to 10 years to amass gold, troops, weapons and ships to mount a campaign but all that preparation, and subsequent support will be useless if you don't achieve total victory.

ancient warfare depended in large part on one's capacity for "complete victory." to really defeat a nation, you destroy its army, prevent the creation of a new army, and in general weaken that country's capacity to wage war in the future. a strong logistics doesn't always accomplish this. armies then lived off the land! all genghis khan's cavalry needed to keep fighting were enough remounts (easy to keep well horses and capture new ones,) enough horse meat and milk to feed the troops (they were riding mobile food dispensers,) and grass for the horses (ok, avoid desert and tundra fighting.) hannibal hardly had anything to add to his force in italy, so what support would he have wanted? edward I, II, up to the black prince (who would have been edward III) had everything going for them in the 100 years they fought france. same thing with the british who tried to retain their US colonies. so why did they fail? in ancient times up to the 19th century, the mechanism of war dampened the effectiveness of "invasive" logistics. that's because your enemy, though he is fighting right in his front yard, can easily match your production at home. everything's even-steven as long as both sides are lined up and fighting. there was no concept of "strategic production." of course, kings could patiently wait up to 10 years to amass gold, troops, weapons and ships to mount a campaign but all that preparation, and subsequent support will be useless if you don't achieve total victory.

Seriously? Hannibal needed to replace his dead and wounded, while he was able to recruit from the other Italian cities, if Carthage had been able to ship him reinforcements and replacements, as well as give him a secure source of supplies, then he would have won and conquered Rome.

Edward Longshanks and Edward II never fought in the Hundred Years War. Edward III (who's eldest son was nicknamed the Black Prince) did capture most of France, only to finally lose out when Henry VI gave up all rights to the French throne.

George III lost the New World colonies since the House of Commons voted to end the war, which had lost support due to the number of dead as well as the high cost of waging a war overseas, while George had the soldiers to fight it, he didn't have the money to support it logistically.

Guest hastati
Seriously? Hannibal needed to replace his dead and wounded, while he was able to recruit from the other Italian cities, if Carthage had been able to ship him reinforcements and replacements, as well as give him a secure source of supplies, then he would have won and conquered Rome.

The reason why Hannibal wasn't able to conquer Rome was coz he didn't have the siege equipment like onagers to break through its walls. But in a battlefield, the Romans couldn't take him out. It was only when Scipio Africanus took the war to Carthage when the Romans had success against Hannibal.

The reason why Hannibal wasn't able to conquer Rome was coz he didn't have the siege equipment like onagers to break through its walls. But in a battlefield, the Romans couldn't take him out. It was only when Scipio Africanus took the war to Carthage when the Romans had success against Hannibal.

Even the Romans rarely brought assembled siege equipments, what they did bring were engineers, something that Hannibal didn't have.

Why is it that the AFP can't seem to win their war against the CPP-NPA and the MNLF/MILF/ASG?

Its very hard to beat a guerrilla force, the British couldn't beat the colonialists, nor the Americans the VC. There are only 2 ways to beat such a force, the first is to have popular support from the native population against the guerrillas, the 2nd way is to wipe out the indigenous population where the guerrillas hide. The first method was how the British army won against the Malayan Emergency.

Its very hard to beat a guerrilla force, the British couldn't beat the colonialists, nor the Americans the VC. There are only 2 ways to beat such a force, the first is to have popular support from the native population against the guerrillas, the 2nd way is to wipe out the indigenous population where the guerrillas hide. The first method was how the British army won against the Malayan Emergency.

Has anyone ever tried the 2nd technique?

Has anyone ever tried the 2nd technique?
The Romans never had a problem with Carthage after they enslaved the population slaughtering those that they didn't enslave, then they destroyed the walls and houses and burnt the Carthaginian navy in the port to create a hazard to shipping, they also burnt the crops and slaughtered whatever animals they didn't take. Its pretty effective, Carthage never did any guerrilla warfare against Rome after that.

The Mongols also never had a problem with guerrilla warfare because they did the same thing.

Why is it that the AFP can't seem to win their war against the CPP-NPA and the MNLF/MILF/ASG?

that's like asking why can't the the russians and even the americans can't wipe out the taliban, and why the US pulled out of vietnam. eradicating a stubborn guerilla force capable of living off the land and the populace depends on the civilian government's long-term development efforts. we have NPAs because the bottom fell out for our coconut oil market internationally. the huks and sakadas in negros and iloilo were eradicated when they were given land to till on the other side of the visayas (leyte and samar.)

Edited by macbolan00
that's like asking why can't the the russians and even the americans can't wipe out the taliban, and why the US pulled out of vietnam. eradicating a stubborn guerilla force capable of living off the land and the populace depends on the civilian government's long-term development efforts. we have NPAs because the bottom fell out for our coconut oil market internationally. the huks and sakadas in negros and iloilo were eradicated when they were given land to till on the other side of the visayas (leyte and samar.)
The last people to conquer the Afgans were the Mongols, they did it by wiping out those who resist them, as there were no news coverages, they even purposely spread and magnified rumours and tales of their cruelty, peoples who were conquered later didn't even bother to resist.
Guest hastati
Even the Romans rarely brought assembled siege equipments, what they did bring were engineers, something that Hannibal didn't have.

Hannibal did have engineers, otherwise he and his army could not have crossed the Alps.

Guest hastati
Care to explain that statement more fully please?

It would not have been possible to traverse the Alps without engineers since you needed them to break big boulders and the engineers of Hannibal concocted a formula to break big boulders. The heated the boulders using fire then poured vinegar on it to break it.