• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#1 devil_lance

devil_lance

MTC's Mr. Gentleman

• (12) Mega Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,576 posts
  • Interests:Intelligent Conversations, Reading, Coffee, Movies, Magic 'the Gathering', Anime, Music, PC and Console Gaming, Anything Singapore!, Swimming, Tequila

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:46 PM

Aside from the Standard English and Filipino Subjects that you took, were there any other foreign languages you learned from school?

For me, unfortunately none, the schools that i went to didn't include any other Language Subjects aside from those mentioned :( Though it is my dream to learn Japanese, Spanish or Mandarin :)

#2 gw@p1t0

gw@p1t0

Wooer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:11 PM

Nung Hi-school ako meron kaming Spanish subject......
Japanese, sa work ko na natutunan ito eh....

#3 jt2003

jt2003

Drunk and falling off his chair

• (09) Manic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:47 AM

In the old days, we were required to take 12 units of Espaņol. One of my biggest regrets from those days was that I never took those courses seriously. I saw them simply as requirements. My mistake.

Edited by jt2003, 12 June 2005 - 03:57 AM.

#4 Guest_vaindoll_*

Guest_vaindoll_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:37 PM

En la universidad de las islas filipinas, yo estudio y hablo lengua espaņol. Es muy interesante y mi proffesora es muy guapa.

alright alright my spanish sucks. I dont know how to speak in the past tense.
hehe. Old curriculum in UP requires the students to learn and take 6 units of the Spanish language whatever your course is. Although the music students are required to take up 5 different languages if i remember it correctly. Im an FA grad and I really wanted to learn Latin if i had the chance.

Intiendes? Bien.

#5 MentalQ

MentalQ

Hottie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

It seems I never stoped attending language courses, but I cant say I ever learned much except the odd phrase or two:
Conversational Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Bahasa Indonesia
Thai

#6 devil_lance

devil_lance

MTC's Mr. Gentleman

• (12) Mega Poster
  • 7,576 posts
  • Interests:Intelligent Conversations, Reading, Coffee, Movies, Magic 'the Gathering', Anime, Music, PC and Console Gaming, Anything Singapore!, Swimming, Tequila

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:18 AM

En la universidad de las islas filipinas, yo estudio y hablo lengua espaņol. Es muy interesante y mi proffesora es muy guapa.
hehe. Old curriculum in UP requires the students to learn and take 6 units of the Spanish language whatever your course is. Although the music students are required to take up 5 different languages if i remember it correctly. Im an FA grad and I really wanted to learn Latin if i had the chance.

Intiendes? Bien.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what were the other languages you took aside from Spanish?

I also crave for French and German, looks very challenging :rolleyes:

#7 jt2003

jt2003

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

Intiendes? Bien.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I was speaking of UP. We had to take 12 units, not six, of Espaņol. That was the old (or should I say older?) curriculum. Later, I believe, students had to take six units of Filipino, thereby decreasing the units of Espaņol. Then Espaņol disappeared altogether as a requirement.

Muy, muy, muy......

#8 Guest_vaindoll_*

Guest_vaindoll_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:01 PM

So what were the other languages you took aside from Spanish?
I also crave for French and German, looks very challenging  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CFA po ako yun lang yung nirequire samin sa 2001 curriculum.
but my ex boyfriend na violinist sa UP took up Japanese, Portugese, Spanish, Mandarin, and French :)

#9 Guest_vaindoll_*

Guest_vaindoll_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:04 PM

Actually, I was speaking of UP.  We had to take 12 units, not six, of Espaņol.  That was the old (or should I say older?) curriculum.  Later, I believe, students had to take six units of Filipino, thereby decreasing the units of Espaņol.  Then Espaņol disappeared altogether as a requirement.

oic. batch 2001 kasi ako eh 6 units lang ni-require sa min na Span :)
Then the curriculum after our batch changed radically pag pasok ng RGEP. Revised General educ program nakakalito buti 2001 ako pumasok

Muy, muy, muy......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#10 jt2003

jt2003

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:17 PM

CFA po ako yun lang yung nirequire samin sa 2001 curriculum.
but my ex boyfriend na violinist sa UP took up Japanese, Portugese, Spanish, Mandarin, and French :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were these requirements or electives?

By the way, when I said Espaņol disappeared as a requirement, I meant that it was no longer a requirement for ALL students, regardless of course. Back in the 1970s, you had to take Espaņol, whether you were a business, engineering, architecture or whatever major.

Edited by jt2003, 14 June 2005 - 03:28 PM.

#11 dem0liti0nman

dem0liti0nman

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:54 PM

fukien and mandarin... galing kc ako ng chinese school eh :D

#12 Magaling

Magaling

Ang Kampeon

• (07) Avid Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:31 AM

Espaņol

Nihonggo

#13 Guest_vaindoll_*

Guest_vaindoll_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

Were these requirements or electives?

By the way, when I said Espaņol disappeared as a requirement, I meant that it was no longer a requirement for ALL students, regardless of course.  Back in the 1970s, you had to take Espaņol, whether you were a business, engineering, architecture or whatever major.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Requirement sya talaga hindi sya elective or sa CFA batch 2001. Yung sa music, i am not certain bec we are not in talking terms anymore.
Nasa listahan sya ng 2001 curriculum ng CFA di ko alam sa ibang courses. 2001 curriculum differs from the 1979 curriculum dahil lang sa nadagdagan na units sa FA specifically sfa17 and sfa18.

But when the RGEP curriculum was approved in 2002 (which is university wide) some of my classmates shifted to that curriculum and they did not took up Span and exchanged the subject for other subjects on the Arts and Humanities domain.

On the other hand di ako nag shift doon so I still took up Span classes and old subjects like STS, Philo, SocSci's etc. (for short hindi ako tumakas and still took up GE subjects ng UP dating way back 1979. which i suppose is, hardcore?hehe) Some of my batchmates naman tinakasan yung mga subject na yon including Span by shifting to RGEP.

Pa ikot ikot na ako noh? Parang ikot jeep.
Pero...graduate na ako jan!!!! heheheh

#14 devil_lance

devil_lance

MTC's Mr. Gentleman

• (12) Mega Poster
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:55 AM

Requirement sya talaga hindi sya elective or sa CFA batch 2001. Yung sa music, i am not certain bec we are not in talking terms anymore.
Nasa listahan sya ng 2001 curriculum ng CFA di ko alam sa ibang courses. 2001 curriculum differs from the 1979 curriculum dahil lang sa nadagdagan na units sa FA specifically sfa17 and sfa18.

But when the RGEP curriculum was approved in 2002 (which is university wide) some of my classmates shifted to that curriculum and they did not took up Span and exchanged the subject for other subjects on the Arts and Humanities domain.

On the other hand di ako nag shift doon so I still took up Span classes and old subjects like STS, Philo, SocSci's etc. (for short hindi ako tumakas and still took up GE subjects ng UP dating way back 1979. which i suppose is, hardcore?hehe) Some of my batchmates naman tinakasan yung mga subject na yon including Span by shifting to RGEP.

Pa ikot ikot na ako noh? Parang ikot jeep.
Pero...graduate na ako jan!!!! heheheh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Proud ka naman syempre, these days kaunti nalang nakakapag Spanish. :rolleyes:

#15 Guest_vaindoll_*

Guest_vaindoll_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:51 PM

Proud ka naman syempre, these days kaunti nalang nakakapag Spanish.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hindi maipagmamalaki sapagkat simbolo ito ng pananakop at panunupil ng mga kastila.

panu yan aktibista ako?

#16 jt2003

jt2003

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:56 PM

Hindi maipagmamalaki sapagkat simbolo ito ng pananakop at panunupil ng mga kastila.

panu yan aktibista ako?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naku Ma'am. Take it from someone who was too short-sighted to take this language seriously. Knowing Spanish will serve you well later in life.

Edited by jt2003, 15 June 2005 - 07:14 PM.

#17 missmanners

missmanners

Seducer

• (07) Avid Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • Interests:everything that can't bore me.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:05 PM

we were required to study spanish and latin in grade school all through to high school. when i was choosing which foreign language to take during college, as it was also required, i took spanish. got an easy A. :)

#18 agxo3

agxo3

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:36 AM

Im an FA grad and I really wanted to learn Latin if i had the chance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Latin! Yes!!!! 4 years in high school. Got good enough back then to hold real life converstions with my friends. By now, most of what I learned is gone........at least on the surface.

I hooked up with a few hs buddies not too long ago, and by the end of the day, little bits and pieces of latin crept into the conversation. Then a couple of years ago, I wento to Rome, and walked through the forum in the center of town. Big old blocks of marble, with words carved into them - and I could read most of 'em!!! Surprised the heck out of me, and the people next to me when I started reading the blocks out loud. They trailed me all around, asking me what the blocks said. Made for a really interesting day. Funny what hides in the back of your consciousness.

#19 devil_lance

devil_lance

MTC's Mr. Gentleman

• (12) Mega Poster
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:31 AM

we were required to study spanish and latin in grade school all through to high school. when i was choosing which foreign language to take during college, as it was also required, i took spanish. got an easy A. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sayang, you should have chosen a different one, learning a foreign language these days is costly. sana you took French, the most romantic language :D

Latin! Yes!!!! 4 years in high school. Got good enough back then to hold real life converstions with my friends. By now, most of what I learned is gone........at least on the surface.

I hooked up with a few hs buddies not too long ago, and by the end of the day, little bits and pieces of latin crept into the conversation. Then a couple of years ago, I wento to Rome, and walked through the forum in the center of town. Big old blocks of marble, with words carved into them - and I could read most of 'em!!! Surprised the heck out of me, and the people next to me when I started reading the blocks out loud. They trailed me all around, asking me what the blocks said. Made for a really interesting day. Funny what hides in the back of your consciousness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't it amazing? buti na-remember mo pa, usually pag di kasi nagagamit yung language nakakalimutan.

#20 imijin

imijin

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:00 AM

took up 6 units of Spanish during college days.... twas good... interesting... we were like elementary studs trying to construct a sentence in spanish... we speak a lil but not sufficient to converse...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users