69 replies to this topic

#61 will robie

will robie

Lover

• (09) Manic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:53 PM

So, the accusation that Bistek is anti-business seems to be unfounded.

The accusation that Bistek is pro-squatter still have to be substantiated. The sprouting of squatter sitios in Fairview doesn't mean he is behind it. Professional squatters are a powerful group with links to leftist political parties, trapo ward leaders, and corrupt city officials. They are the city governments' big headache.

Correct me if i am wrong but when Bautista increased the land tax a couple of years back, a percentage if that tax was dedicated to squatters. I forgot the exact purpose but it had something to do with squatters.

#62 camiar

camiar

Camiar

• (10) Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4016 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:36 PM

Correct me if i am wrong but when Bautista increased the land tax a couple of years back, a percentage if that tax was dedicated to squatters. I forgot the exact purpose but it had something to do with squatters.

Quezon City Council (not necessarily the mayor) effectively raised the taxes by 500% when they updated the Fair Market Values of real estates which has remained unchanged since 22 years ago (1996).

The move was challenged in court but the Supreme Court sided with the City Government.

Even with an SC ruling in their favor, the council suspended the implementation of the tax hike. The hike would have generated additional revenue close to a billion pesos per year to the city treasury. 

I don't know what exactly the squatters have to do with the issue, but definitely, the additional revenue can support mass housing projects, for one.

#63 will robie

will robie

Lover

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 1909 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:12 PM

The accusation that Bistek is pro-squatter still have to be substantiated. The sprouting of squatter sitios in Fairview doesn't mean he is behind it. Professional squatters are a powerful group with links to leftist political parties, trapo ward leaders, and corrupt city officials. They are the city governments' big headache.

Yes, he may not be behind it but he could have stopped it. If he had the political will, the proliferation of these "sitios", which are effectively squatter colonies, can be stopped. This is Bautista's last term and I hope the next mayor will do a better job than the younger brother of Janice De Belen in Flordeluna.  :lol:  

Edited by will robie, 13 February 2019 - 10:12 PM.

#64 camiar

camiar

Camiar

• (10) Super Poster
  • 4016 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:57 PM

Yes, he may not be behind it but he could have stopped it. If he had the political will, the proliferation of these "sitios", which are effectively squatter colonies, can be stopped. This is Bautista's last term and I hope the next mayor will do a better job than the younger brother of Janice De Belen in Flordeluna.  :lol:  

He could not have stopped it.

Going after the professional squatting syndicate is beyond political will. Jun Simon started the squatter problem but none of the succeeding mayors had the "political will" to reverse the situation. Including Bistek. 

Again, it is a matter of choice on who can do a better job. Who is running against Bistek?

Edited by camiar, 14 February 2019 - 12:58 PM.

#65 will robie

will robie

Lover

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 1909 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

He could not have stopped it.

Going after the professional squatting syndicate is beyond political will. Jun Simon started the squatter problem but none of the succeeding mayors had the "political will" to reverse the situation. Including Bistek. 

Again, it is a matter of choice on who can do a better job. Who is running against Bistek?

The mayor controls the police. He can direct the police to take out these squatters, especially, the ones squatting on government land. However, he should have a relocation plan for the squatters.

I blame the incompetent and dumb Cory Aquino for squatter proliferation.

Bautista is forbidden to run since this is his third trrm. Joy Belmonte is one of the mayoralty candidates in QC.

#66 camiar

camiar

Camiar

• (10) Super Poster
  • 4016 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

The mayor controls the police. He can direct the police to take out these squatters, especially, the ones squatting on government land. However, he should have a relocation plan for the squatters.

I blame the incompetent and dumb Cory Aquino for squatter proliferation.

Bautista is forbidden to run since this is his third trrm. Joy Belmonte is one of the mayoralty candidates in QC.

Using the police is the city mayor's last resort. Demolition of squatter dwellings is a very politically sensitive issue. 

The leftists and the professional squatter syndicates will use it as an excuse to escalate the issue and call it heartless repression of the poor.

They will incite a riot, provoke the police to shoot, hoping that somebody gets injured, or better yet, die. The media will have a grand time getting news mileage out of it.

The city government will lose the battle of emotions.

#67 will robie

will robie

Lover

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 1909 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

Using the police is the city mayor's last resort. Demolition of squatter dwellings is a very politically sensitive issue. 

The leftists and the professional squatter syndicates will use it as an excuse to escalate the issue and call it heartless repression of the poor.

They will incite a riot, provoke the police to shoot, hoping that somebody gets injured, or better yet, die. The media will have a grand time getting news mileage out of it.

The city government will lose the battle of emotions.

Being scared of leftists and professional squatter syndicates means that Bautista is a lame-duck mayor when it comes to making the difficult decisions. 

Yes, maybe the media will have a grand time getting news mileage but do you think anyone will care about these squatters aside from the opportunistic leftists and "yellowtards"? If the media magnifies it and sees that it does not improve ratings, these media outfits would k*ll the issue as soon as possible. 

Speaking of emotions, that is what the "yellows" are hoping for. Unfortunately for them, the Filipino has matured and don't just fall prey to these "yellowtards" who use emotion instead of reason to get the result they want. 

Edited by will robie, 14 February 2019 - 09:24 PM.

#68 camiar

camiar

Camiar

• (10) Super Poster
  • 4016 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:12 PM

Being scared of leftists and professional squatter syndicates means that Bautista is a lame-duck mayor when it comes to making the difficult decisions. 

Yes, maybe the media will have a grand time getting news mileage but do you think anyone will care about these squatters aside from the opportunistic leftists and "yellowtards"? If the media magnifies it and sees that it does not improve ratings, these media outfits would k*ll the issue as soon as possible. 

Speaking of emotions, that is what the "yellows" are hoping for. Unfortunately for them, the Filipino has matured and don't just fall prey to these "yellowtards" who use emotion instead of reason to get the result they want. 

I'm not saying they are scared of the leftists and professional squatters. But these groups are more powerful than the individual mayors.

These squatter coddlers  have cultivated and developed tacit support from politicians at higher levels (national level politicians).

Did you ever see any congressman or senator openly siding with city governments in the demolition and clearing operations of squatters? No, because the leftists and professional squatter syndicates are selling the squatters' votes to these trapos. These people want to keep the poor in their miserable conditions to keep them dependent on the patronage system.

#69 juan t

juan t

Charmer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

I'm not saying they are scared of the leftists and professional squatters. But these groups are more powerful than the individual mayors.

These squatter coddlers  have cultivated and developed tacit support from politicians at higher levels (national level politicians).

Did you ever see any congressman or senator openly siding with city governments in the demolition and clearing operations of squatters? No, because the leftists and professional squatter syndicates are selling the squatters' votes to these trapos. These people want to keep the poor in their miserable conditions to keep them dependent on the patronage system.

Reminds me of the time when a Davao sheriff went through with a court order to demolish a squatters area, when Mayor Sara Duterte later comes to the rescue and punches him several times in the face to the delight of the squatters.  

#70 will robie

will robie

Lover

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 1909 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

Of course, the senators are not gonna intervene with squatters of a certain city or any city for that matter lest they be accused of meddling in the affairs of a city when they are supposed to be minding their business and making laws. 

Regarding support from politicians, perhaps Akbayan or Makabayan or any "yellow" political organization who want the support of these squatters since they are slowly and surely becoming politically extinct. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Phil Election 2019, Comelec

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users