66 replies to this topic

#21 cyberphobia

cyberphobia

Pilot sana pero nag-IT na lang

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:13 AM

My dad died in V Luna (AFP Gen Hosp) and my brother in PGH. We had no problem with the staff. Kahit wala kang pera, me mag-aasikaso pa rin sayo. Masusungit nga lang yung mga guard (PGH). Ano naging problema?

When my wife had her specialization training in one of the DOH hospitals in Manila, I found out why. Kulang ang pondo, mababa ang sweldo ng residents at kahit consultants, dilapidated buildings, kulang sa medical equipments. Minsan nag-aabono pa misis ko sa lab tests ng mga pasyente nya. Paano pag wala talagang pera at walang tumulong sa pasyente?

I think, people in health services sa govt ay may dedication. If not, mag-aalisan na lang sila papuntang abroad. Ang problema, facilities at equipments.

Sa private naman, I tried sa Medical City. Asikasuhin ka muna then sisingilin ka pag madi-discharge ka na. Sa Makati Med naman, dun nanganak si misis. Pagka-admit, walang hininging deposit. After two days, saka humingi ng deposit (min 10k ata). Pag emergency cases, iti-treat muna patient bago humingi ng payment. Ayos naman experience ko sa kanila. Syempre, mahal nga lang dun.

#22 gift_of_game

gift_of_game

feeling strangely fine

• (12) Mega Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,706 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:33 AM

Paano pag wala talagang pera at walang tumulong sa pasyente?

Medyo OT but to answer your question...
A good number of residents find way to make it happen. Put another way, "inaampon" sila.
When I was a clerk, I was often moved by my residents who went out of their way to help their patients, paying for their labs and providing meds and even---and I'm not exaggerating here---their meals.
Throughout internship, I was doing it on a semi-regular basis as well.
Nothing can be more frustrating than not being able to provide the best care for patients just because they're short on cash.

#23 icetip

icetip

There's more than meets the ice

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

Manila Doctors may bad experience kami with my uncle who had a heart attack. We had no choice but to admit him there dahil yun na yung pinakamalapit na hospital when he got the attack.

Na agapan naman sya pero after a day we wanted to transfer to St Luke's pina stress test sya to check kung ok na for transfer as reccommended by the doctor. So my uncle exerted effort to pass the stress test para makalabas na. Nung naka out na kami. we had a second opinion and found out na sira na pala yung isang artery. nagalit yung family doctor at bakit daw kami pina stress test. We came to realize na para pala bumigay yung heart nya at hinde na kami makalabas ng hospital at ma admit ulit dun.

So sad and bad

#24 cyberphobia

cyberphobia

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:44 AM

Medyo OT but to answer your question...
A good number of residents find way to make it happen. Put another way, "inaampon" sila.
When I was a clerk, I was often moved by my residents who went out of their way to help their patients, paying for their labs and providing meds and even---and I'm not exaggerating here---their meals.
Throughout internship, I was doing it on a semi-regular basis as well.
Nothing can be more frustrating than not being able to provide the best care for patients just because they're short on cash.

I agree. The main reason na nag-stay sa Pinas si misis ay dahil sa mga kababayan nating nangngailangan. There are instances na nag-aaway kami dahil hindi sya nakakain dahil yung pera nya binigay sa pasyente pambili ng gamot. Pag ganon, pinupuntahan ko na lang sya sa hosp kahit gabi para dalhan ng pagkain.

#25 cyberphobia

cyberphobia

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:48 AM

I agree. The main reason na nag-stay sa Pinas si misis ay dahil sa mga kababayan nating nangngailangan. There are instances na nag-aaway kami dahil hindi sya nakakain dahil yung pera nya binigay sa pasyente pambili ng gamot. Pag ganon, pinupuntahan ko na lang sya sa hosp kahit gabi para dalhan ng pagkain.

di ko alam bakit diko ma-edit yung unag post ko.

Para hindi off-topic. Nasamahan ko si misis minsan mag-conduct ng patient sa isang DOH hosp sa Sta Cruz. OB case na naging IM. Dahil govt hosp, madaming pasyente. Nung pumasok kami sa ER, parang warzone. Me naga-ambu duon, me nagsi-cpr dito, suture dun, etc. Bago na-admit yung pasyente ni misis, kinailangan nilang maghintay ng 30 mins. Kulang kasi yung doctors dun. That time, 3 1st yr residents lang ang andun. Sabi ni misis, yung mga seniors kadalasan nasa itaas nagra-rounds o natutulog.

Nang makausap nina misis yung ROD, sabi nila na puno na sila. pwede nilang i-admit yung patient pero hindi nila maasikaso kaagad. sila din pala ang nagra-rounds sa mga pasyente. pati si misis na-shock. kawawa yung mga residente. at syempre, kawawa yung mga pasyente.

sa isang oras na pag-stay namin dun, me isang patient na nag-expire. sobrang toxic talaga. the patient that my wife brought to that hospital also died after a few days. halos maiyak ako sa sobrang awa dun sa husband ng patient. promise.

#26 id6230

id6230

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

Private Hospitals are indeed profit driven. For one thing, they invest a lot of money in establishing the hospital which from a business perspective needs to generate profit. And the day to day operation is very expensive too. Not many businesses are BIG HEARTED. PROFIT is their desire. It is always a dicey situation when it comes to caring for the patient. There are good people running the hospital too but a lot of them are cynical and stone hearted.

#27 privopraha

privopraha

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Sports Betting and many more...

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

Two hospital incidents peeps...

Id like to endorse the Manila Sanitarium sa Pasay City. Run by the Seventh Day Adventist, they are not at all similar to our 'catholic' run or named hospitals. Im a catholic myself but when i saw how my father was cared for and how sincere the MD's are in this hospital, I have decided to get all my medical needs through them. even if my dad died of complications from lung c., i never felt robbed or disappointed. Parking is not that good but thats the least of my concerns in this situation.

My fiancee recently gave birth sa Asian Hospital and becoz her copany will shoulder the portion, I am forced to bring her ther. Im disappoiunted by the way the xrays are done on preggy women, the nurses get lost within the hospital, the fees are exorbitant and even our OBGYNE pointed out that the services are dam lousy.

Also need to point out the these NEW BORN SCREEN TESTS IS A BIG SCAM! They found something on my son's result but not definite thus they need to do more tests. This time sa PGH na. What is the fuc_in use of the NEW BORN if theyll send me also to PGH to do further tests?! Mabuti sana kung libre!

TOTAL BILL - PhP 120K !!!

wHOOOOA!!! Buti na lang pogi and normal son ko.... ;) AVOID ASIAN HOSPITAL!!!

#28 Fusarium_jimini

Fusarium_jimini

huggable 😊👌

• (10) Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts
  • Location:at places where business, pleasure, and vocation mix c",)
  • Interests:*synopsis, synthesis, hypothesis

*telling patients how they can live instead of how they will die

*pro-bono clinics pag may time💊

*bum squad: airsoft🔫 and bass guitar🎸; graphic novels📖; soundtrip🎧

*playing "wingman" basta libre hehe..😜

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:44 PM

medyo OT but I just wanna endorse St. Luke's.. my dad was admitted for elective TURP december last year.. hindi sila naghihingi ng deposit upon admission.. after the operation which fortunately went well dun na sila humingi ng deposit equal to our 2-days stay (1 day pre-op and the 2nd day op itself)..we were very glad that they were very accomodating... when we said we intend to settle our bill in full upon discharge..ni hindi kami hiningan ng written promisory note (they said it was a SOP to ask all their inpatients a certain amount of deposit, especially the charity patients, para kapag ang outlook mahihirapan ang pasyente mag-settle ng bill later on e maaasikaso nila ang transfer sa mga government hospitals)..saka pala an hour after we were admitted we complained of the carpentery noise coming from the adjacent room (na ginagawa yung wooden cabinet) and requested a room transfer; madali namang nafacilitate request namin and only after 5 minutes we found ourselves in one of the rooms of their newly-renovated GI ward, complete with amenities (kami nagbinyag sa bagong TV, ref, cabinet, bathroom, etc.)...

yung nga lang, ang gripe ko lang sa st. luke's is that the cheapest room costs as much as the suite room of UST hospital, saka reservation via phone is practically ineffective unless yung physician mo tatawag dun..

peace!

#29 grovel

grovel

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:computers

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:54 AM

Id like to endorse the Manila Sanitarium sa Pasay City. Run by the Seventh Day Adventist, they are not at all similar to our 'catholic' run or named hospitals. Im a catholic myself but when i saw how my father was cared for and how sincere the MD's are in this hospital, I have decided to get all my medical needs through them. even if my dad died of complications from lung c., i never felt robbed or disappointed. Parking is not that good but thats the least of my concerns in this situation.

My fiancee recently gave birth sa Asian Hospital and becoz her copany will shoulder the portion, I am forced to bring her ther. Im disappoiunted by the way the xrays are done on preggy women, the nurses get lost within the hospital, the fees are exorbitant and even our OBGYNE pointed out that the services are dam lousy.

Also need to point out the these NEW BORN SCREEN TESTS IS A BIG SCAM! They found something on my son's result but not definite thus they need to do more tests. This time sa PGH na. What is the fuc_in use of the NEW BORN if theyll send me also to PGH to do further tests?! Mabuti sana kung libre!

Bro sorry pero yung newborn screening is an essential part of making sure that your kid doesn't have any so-called "inborn errors of metabolism" which are correctable. I tell you if you learned early on that your child had cretinism which is treatable if diagnosed early, (this is just an example of one of the things they'd discover with NBS) you'd be glad they did the test.

Maybe mali lang hospital mo kasi siguro kulang sila sa gamit. Kung sa St. luke's yan meron siguro silang way pero mas magastos nga lang.

St. Luke's as far as i know is probably the best hospital in the country especially when it comes to service. Mga doctors nga lang nagrereklamo kasi since the hospital has gotten the bulk of the patient's money sila na ang hindi makasingil sa patient.

#30 nixs

nixs

Totally Lost!

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:27 AM

Speaking of St. Luke's...

Me and my s.o. were referred to a doctor sa 5f ng medical arts bldg ng St. Luke's. I was practically surprised to hear from him na there is no such thing as muscle spasm or "lamig" sa medicine world. My s.o. was complaining about nagging pain below her left shoulder blade. After 1-3mins of examination ay sinabihan ng "wala naman problema sa katawan mo" then bigay ng prescription (ang prescription ay hindi otc and requires a "sn" ata na di naman raw nilagay ng doctor na ito).

So in short you say nothing is really wrong and recommend a hard to buy medicine. By the way maski maliit naman ang makukuha mo sa health care provider eh you should have given more effort to help someone who is in a lot pain.

#31 D. Sanchez

D. Sanchez

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:Napoleon Dynamite RuleZ!

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:58 PM

Newborn Screening is needed at times like this. Have the Pediatrician instructed you regarding the benefits of Newborn Screening in order to correct the abnormalities a child can suffer in the long term? Example is mental retardation detection. NBS has been practiced in the U.S. since the early 1960s however in the Philippines, this was introduced in the late 1990s and was mandatory in 2000 to hospital which also includes one dose of hepa B vaccine.

Yes, it is true that Newborn Screening is done at University of the Philippines Manila, National Institute of Health (UPM-NIH).

UPM-NIH is the only provider of Newborn Screening here in the country and is the only one who can provide confirmatory test(s) for G6PD, Phenylketonuria and others for the newborn.

Philippine General Hospital has only one Medical Doctor specializing in Pediatric Oncology who handles this type of illness and who happens to be the only one who is a Pediatric oncologist in the country. I won't mention his or her name coz I was watching ANC and got tangled on this matter last year.

#32 rayt64

rayt64

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:51 AM

Worst PGH, don't go there if you can afford other hospitals.

Medical City gusto agad opera kaya O-PERA tawag dun ng friend ko na Doctor. Gusto operahan ang pamangkin ko dun kahit masakit lang tyan. So we transfered my pamangkin sa Cardinal Santos and dun lumabas na malingering lang pala yung pamangkin ko.

UST pag may pera ka ayaw ka paalisin kahit pwede ka na at magaling ka na. Pag nakita na may gadget ka like laptop or pda phone pati mga bisita mo, cash register tingin nila sa iyo. Ang tagal pumirma ng release yung Doctor para kumita sila sa everyday stay mo. Alma Mater ko pa naman UST and all of us in the family tapos ganun gagawin nila. Ang ok lang sa UST magaganda NURSE pag na-ospital father, mother, and sister ko at pati ako. Pero ayoko na dun nadala na ako sa last experience ko.

Best Manila Sanitarium sa Pasay very good service. Run by 7 day Adventist. Mas Christian pa ata sila kesa sa mga Christian kuno na taga UST.

Lung Center is good service too despite being run by the government. Mahusay Administrator nila.

I also experianced Makati Med and ok dun. May cable na masarap pa pagkain even sa bantay pwede isama sa pagkain at affordable naman rate.

Edited by rayt64, 13 July 2008 - 10:53 AM.

#33 gift_of_game

gift_of_game

feeling strangely fine

• (12) Mega Poster
  • 13,706 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:32 PM

can I ask what you meant by "worst".
I mean, since pinintasan mo na rin naman, you might as well spill the beans.

and mind you, it's not the "People's Gateway to Hell" for nothing. :P

#34 Pinoymale

Pinoymale

Wooer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:36 PM

My sister was recently admitted into the Las Pinas Medical Center along Marcos Alvarez Ave. When the janitress was cleaning her room, she snagged the dextrose tube. It wasn't pulled out of my sister's arm but she said it hurt like hell and the surrounding area swelled up. Worse, when she was still in the ER, one of the nurses almost injected a needle into her which contained AIR!!! I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure that could've been very painful or even fatal.

#35 chillinsamurai

chillinsamurai

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:39 PM

My take on this?
Hospitals to avoid-
FEU-NRMF - BASTOS YUNG DOCTORA, WALANG KWENTA SERVICES. MAMATAY KA NG DI NILA ALAM.
DELOS SANTOS MEDICAL ( E. RODRIGUEZ) - WALA DIN KWENTA, PINANOOD AKO HABANG INOOPERAHAN AGAINST MY WILL.

BEST HOSPITALS TO BE IN-
ST. LUKE'S - SOBRA THOROUGH MAG TEST AND CHECK UP.
MEDICAL CITY- SOBRA ALAGA GINAWA SA ANAK KO LATELY LANG. SOBRA PA COURTEOUS NG MGA TAO/ STAFF.

#36 feckingood

feckingood

Voyeur

• (02) Sinless
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:35 AM

Medical City gusto agad opera kaya O-PERA tawag dun ng friend ko na Doctor. Gusto operahan ang pamangkin ko dun kahit masakit lang tyan. So we transfered my pamangkin sa Cardinal Santos and dun lumabas na malingering lang pala yung pamangkin ko.

It all depends kasi kung ano ang specialty ng doctor na tumitingin. Most likely, yung doctor na yun eh surgeon. When my mom was diagnosed with Kidney stones, she first consulted a Surgeon. So yun nga naoperahan nga sha. The second time around, though, we consulted an Internist (tama ba term? Doctor ng Internal Medicine) and he said that an operation was not necessary.

Too bad though my mom still died because of medical malpractice. We did not pursue this in the courts because the Doctor and his family has connections with the Gov't (HINT: He has a high-ranking official for a brother in Department of Health) She was scheduled to be operated so that the abcess (as a result of surviving pancreatitis) can be drained out of her system. On the day of operation, the Doctor cancelled the operation and went to a "conference" knowing that my mom's condition was fatal. Because the abcess was never drained, A day before she died, my mom grew weak and our family had asked the ICU nurses to contact the (killer) Doctor. The Doctor never responded to any of the call but suddenly showed up when they need to resuscitate my mom. What's worst is that 25% of our hospital bill was his PF. We consulted a doctor (a family friend) and referred my mom's case to him. we gave him all the details and confirmed that the doctor sould have not cancelled the scheduled operation. Unfortunately, though he doesn't want to testify against this doctor because they're under a stupid, selfish, profession oath. :grr:

I wish that our lawmakers would give attention to Medical Malpractices in the Philippines.

#37 feckingood

feckingood

Voyeur

• (02) Sinless
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:41 AM

It all depends kasi kung ano ang specialty ng doctor na tumitingin. Most likely, yung doctor na yun eh surgeon. When my mom was diagnosed with Kidney stones, she first consulted a Surgeon. So yun nga naoperahan nga sha. The second time around, though, we consulted an Internist (tama ba term? Doctor ng Internal Medicine) and he said that an operation was not necessary.

Too bad though my mom still died because of medical malpractice. We did not pursue this in the courts because the Doctor and his family has connections with the Gov't (HINT: He has a high-ranking official for a brother in Department of Health) She was scheduled to be operated so that the abcess (as a result of surviving pancreatitis) can be drained out of her system. On the day of operation, the Doctor cancelled the operation and went to a "conference" knowing that my mom's condition was fatal. Because the abcess was never drained, A day before she died, my mom grew weak and our family had asked the ICU nurses to contact the (killer) Doctor. The Doctor never responded to any of the call but suddenly showed up when they need to resuscitate my mom. What's worst is that 25% of our hospital bill was his PF. We consulted a doctor (a family friend) and referred my mom's case to him. we gave him all the details and confirmed that the doctor sould have not cancelled the scheduled operation. Unfortunately, though he doesn't want to testify against this doctor because they're under a stupid, selfish, profession oath. :grr:

I wish that our lawmakers would give attention to Medical Malpractices in the Philippines.

I forgot nga pala i went back to the killer-doctor's office a week after my mom died. Surprisingly, all her files were gone! I was told by the receptionist to check with the hospital. So i went to the Records section and they said that we they never received any copies of my mom's files.

Obviously, there was a cover-up.

#38 gift_of_game

gift_of_game

feeling strangely fine

• (12) Mega Poster
  • 13,706 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:03 AM

wow.
from a complaint thread to a doctor-bashing thread.

#39 tallpaul

tallpaul

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

wow.
from a complaint thread to a doctor-bashing thread.

bakit doc, natamaan ka ba?

doctors are part of the hospitals of course. kaya dito nilagay ang complaint niya. besides, what the doctor did was completely wrong. and mind you, doc, i know many similar cases like these. kahit dito sa baguio. i think its part of the PRACTICE. so please.

#40 mwah

mwah

primum non nocere

• (11) Wyld
  • 5,988 posts
  • Interests:idiosyncratic reactions

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

This is OT but I felt the need to react to some points.

@feckingood - I see your need to ventilate but if you feel that there was negligence in your mom's case then find a really good lawyer and take your case to court. Potah, ano ngayon kung kapatid sya ng kung sinong Hudas sa gobyerno?

@taulpall - Ano ngayon kung natatamaan ang mga duktor? Yes, we're part of the hospital system and we are also appalled at other MDs who are negligent with their patients. If my loved one dies in the hands of a negligent doctor, I would move heaven and earth to have that doctor's license removed. So please, we also have the right to react to people who generalize the medical practice because there are doctors who truly care and would even risk life and limb for a patient's well-being.

BTW, you don't need the malpractice law to sue a doctor for malpractice. It's just a matter of taking the case to court.

Edited by mwah, 14 September 2008 - 08:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users