Current Events Tidbits Et Al

• 2 weeks later...

My brother recently had a long conversation with an ex-military type who claimed to be involved in black ops. Let's call him Oscar. My brother described Oscar as a stockily built former NAVSOG in his mid-50s, with scars and deformities littering his sunkissed skin. Oscar was an expert-level marksman with a misshapen trigger finger. He described his life to be full of color and misadventures. I guess that's a safe bet, if his claims to being a hitman, a bank robber, a bagman, and an almost kidnapper are all true.

One of Oscar's fantastic stories revolved around his role in the 2003 Oakwood mutiny. Yes, he rolled with pre-politicians Trillanes, Danilo Lim, and Faeldon. Oscar's role was to lead a group of mutineers in securing several apartments surrounding Oakwood and crucial arteries in Makati CBD. They completed this task a few weeks before the mutiny took place. Once the mutiny went live, Oscar and his merry band of killers took up their positions in the rented apartments, waiting for the order to provide a murderous, crisscrossing rain of bullets upon the unsuspecting government troops. That order never came, much to Oscar's consternation, for Trillanes allegedly pussied out and surrendered. That guy's all talk, a certified coward, according to Oscar.

According to my brother, Oscar's scathing disdain for Trillanes was in stark contrast to how he described Faeldon. To him, Faeldon was a principled, gung-ho man's man who took his duty to his nation rather too seriously.

Oscar refused to believe that Faeldon really had anything to do with the 6.4B shabs shipment. He's just a fall guy, he said. Oscar added that he'll happily help Faeldon in a heartbeat, if he was asked. Well, may God help the poor soul in Oscar's crosshairs.

I'm not so sure if I should put any stock in Oscar's incredible stories, but I do see why Faeldon's still around. Perhaps Oscar's high regard for Faeldon reflects the ex-BOC chief's influence within the military circles that matter. Maybe, just maybe, that level of influence is enough to cow Duterte.

• Like (+1) 1

My brother recently had a long conversation with an ex-military type who claimed to be involved in black ops. Let's call him Oscar. My brother described Oscar as a stockily built former NAVSOG in his mid-50s, with scars and deformities littering his sunkissed skin. Oscar was an expert-level marksman with a misshapen trigger finger. He described his life to be full of color and misadventures. I guess that's a safe bet, if his claims to being a hitman, a bank robber, a bagman, and an almost kidnapper are all true.

One of Oscar's fantastic stories revolved around his role in the 2003 Oakwood mutiny. Yes, he rolled with pre-politicians Trillanes, Danilo Lim, and Faeldon. Oscar's role was to lead a group of mutineers in securing several apartments surrounding Oakwood and crucial arteries in Makati CBD. They completed this task a few weeks before the mutiny took place. Once the mutiny went live, Oscar and his merry band of killers took up their positions in the rented apartments, waiting for the order to provide a murderous, crisscrossing rain of bullets upon the unsuspecting government troops. That order never came, much to Oscar's consternation, for Trillanes allegedly pussied out and surrendered. That guy's all talk, a certified coward, according to Oscar.

According to my brother, Oscar's scathing disdain for Trillanes was in stark contrast to how he described Faeldon. To him, Faeldon was a principled, gung-ho man's man who took his duty to his nation rather too seriously.

Oscar refused to believe that Faeldon really had anything to do with the 6.4B shabs shipment. He's just a fall guy, he said. Oscar added that he'll happily help Faeldon in a heartbeat, if he was asked. Well, may God help the poor soul in Oscar's crosshairs.

I'm not so sure if I should put any stock in Oscar's incredible stories, but I do see why Faeldon's still around. Perhaps Oscar's high regard for Faeldon reflects the ex-BOC chief's influence within the military circles that matter. Maybe, just maybe, that level of influence is enough to cow Duterte.

Nice to meet somebody in this who can corroborate my info on Trillanes and Faeldon, and for that matter, the main players of the Oakwood mutiny.

I met an ex-navy officer (resigned from service) working in Qatar, who in my impression was a PMA batchmate or at least a mistah of the Oakwood mutineers . That person basically has the same opinion of Trillanes.

I dont understand why people view Trillanes as a coward just because he surrendered.

His mission was to expose corruption within the Arroyo government when he orchestrated the mutiny. He did that. There was no further need for violence.

I'm not ready to describe Trillanes as a coward, either. I simply stated how the ex-military guy described Trillanes to my brother. For all we know, the guy may not have been privy to all the circumstances that led to the mutineers' surrender.

After hearing my brother's story about Oscar, I told him about an old man who once shared to me this little nugget of wisdom: if you're telling a great story, you might as well do some embellishing while you're at it. The old military hand might have been prone to telling tall tales and to leaning on his personal biases, but there's some measure of truth in his stories.

I don't think Trillanes is a coward, despite what some people would say. Besides, to assume his antagonistic stance towards the Duterte regime takes a lot of balls. Remember, the senator is always butting heads with a deeply entrenched establishment that would normally do away with critics in a heartbeat (see De Lima, Sereno). Ask yourselves this: if the guy really has nothing on Duterte and his cronies, then why is he still around?

@moneyball

Sa tingin ko matapang si trollanes na mang inis. May ginagawa ba siya na maganda sa bansa natin? Hindi ko alam. Ang naramdaman ko pa lang na gawa niya eh ang CPD units para sa license renewal ko. Masakit sa bulsa. May mtutunan ba ako sa cpd units na yun? Oo. Masakit lang tlaga sa bulsa.

Nakaka miss din yung time na may hinamon siya na kandidato na mag bigay ng waiver at magkita sa isang bangko nang magkaharapan na at magka-alaman. Ayun, inindyan si trollanes. Walang bayag na magpunta para pahiyain ng harap-harapan si trollanes. Ganda sanang balita yun kung napahiya si trollanes. Wala na tayong magawa. Yung matapang lang sa harap ng camera eh takot naman pala pag face to face na.

CPD Law sucks. It's another example of bad legislation crafted with good intentions. Imagine already having a PhD from an Ivy League school, and you have to cough up a lot of dough just to put up with seminars conducted by people who got theirs from diploma mills. Obsolete na nga ang ise-seminar sayo, libo-libo pa ang babayaran mo para dun. Kairita, di ba?

Aside from that bad idea, Trillanes should also be credited for amending the AFP Modernization Law. Without his inputs, our soldiers probably wouldn't have enough toys to quickly deal with insurgents. How long would it have taken our military to deal with the Maute in Marawi without those FA-50s?

Speaking of military hardware, funding for the next phase of military modernization has been slashed. Under whose purview is that?

Edited by moneyball

CPD Law sucks. It's another example of bad legislation crafted with good intentions. Imagine already having a PhD from an Ivy League school, and you have to cough up a lot of dough just to put up with seminars conducted by people who got theirs from diploma mills. Obsolete na nga ang ise-seminar sayo, libo-libo pa ang babayaran mo para dun. Kairita, di ba?

Aside from that bad idea, Trillanes should also be credited for amending the AFP Modernization Law. Without his inputs, our soldiers probably wouldn't have enough toys to quickly deal with insurgents. How long would it have taken our military to deal with the Maute in Marawi without those FA-50s?

Speaking of military hardware, funding for the next phase of military modernization has been slashed. Under whose purview is that?

Are you giving credit to Trillanes for the FA-50s?

The FA-50s has been specified by the AFP as part of the modernization program long before Trillanes' stint as Senator. The credit should go to the military leadership and Department of Defense strategic planning staff, not to the politicians.

And I don't think he said that Trillianes specifically said that the military should get the FA-50s. What he's saying is it ENABLED the military to actually BUY whatever was in their shopping list.

Military panning to buy anything means squat if there will be no budget allocated to it by POLITICIANS.

Are you giving credit to Trillanes for the FA-50s?

The FA-50s has been specified by the AFP as part of the modernization program long before Trillanes' stint as Senator. The credit should go to the military leadership and Department of Defense strategic planning staff, not to the politicians.

K

This is an excerpt from CNN News Online:

Bigger budget for PNP, AFP

"...The PNP however still stands to gain a bigger budget this 2018.

Under Senate's 2018 budget, PNP will get P131.628 billion in 2018. This is P20 billion more than its P111.6 billion budget this 2017.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines will also benefit from increased funds. As the military seeks to modernize itself, Senate gave the AFP a P141.860 billion.

In light of the Marawi Crisis, Senate also increased intelligence funds for AFP and the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency (NICA).

To help prevent the emergence of similar threats in the future, military intelligence funds were increased to P137.312 million. NICA was also given an additional P100 million..."

I know that the modernization fund and the annual budget are different, but it is hard to understand the logic behind slashing the military modernization fund while increasing the military budget, unless they found a cheaper way to modernize, which I doubt.

Can you show us where you got your story that military modernization fund has been slashed? and the reasons behind it?

Edited by camiar

Can you show us where you got your story that military modernization fund has been slashed? and the reasons behind it?

Have you heard of Max Montero and his little defense blog? That blog has been spot on about the frigate deal fiasco, the FA-50 acquisition, military budget hearings, etc. The blog is reliable enough to be quoted by both local and foreign news outlets, and other defense blogs.

Have you heard of Max Montero and his little defense blog? That blog has been spot on about the frigate deal fiasco, the FA-50 acquisition, military budget hearings, etc. The blog is reliable enough to be quoted by both local and foreign news outlets, and other defense blogs.

Probably, I'm not sure. Is it the MaxDefense blog?

What is confusing me is that AFP modernization is a law. It defines what needs to be procured over a mandated implementation period. Who has the authority to slash what has already been defined by law? And for what reason?

• 1 month later...

Kawawa naman yun mga DDS: kelangan pa nila i photoshop at i hijack yun photos (pinalitan yun signage digitally from itakwil ang duterte chacha to say itakwil ang dilawan) ng anti-Duterte protesters sa SONA. Mas maliit kasi yun hakot nila at hindi photogenic.

Kawawa naman yun mga DDS: kelangan pa nila i photoshop at i hijack yun photos (pinalitan yun signage digitally from itakwil ang duterte chacha to say itakwil ang dilawan) ng anti-Duterte protesters sa SONA. Mas maliit kasi yun hakot nila at hindi photogenic.

Ibig mong sabihin mas malakas humakot ang dilawan :D Obvious namn kasi mas mapera sila.

Ibig mong sabihin mas malakas humakot ang dilawan :D Obvious namn kasi mas mapera sila.

Basta ang alam ko nakaka awa na nakaka tawa yun ginawa nila... kelangan mameke ng mga supporters. LOL.

Speaking of fakes. I noticed that there are also fake "testimonies" circulating around one of the activists' leaders: Nato Reyes. Not that I share my ideologies with him, but I do know that they are fakes.

How? Because one of the "testimonials" came from a certain Khesia Fornea Bordios who says she was a classmate of him... in HS.

Proof: 1) because she was born too late (for around 10 years) to be his HS classmate, and 2) she's a girl. Nato came from an exclusive boys school.

Now if they can fake testimonials like these... I'm not sure what other fakes news you get from your oh-so-reliable social media platform vs legitimate news sources. LOL.

Fake news factories are working overtime, DDS?

Basta ang alam ko nakaka awa na nakaka tawa yun ginawa nila... kelangan mameke ng mga supporters. LOL.

Speaking of fakes. I noticed that there are also fake "testimonies" circulating around one of the activists' leaders: Nato Reyes. Not that I share my ideologies with him, but I do know that they are fakes.

How? Because one of the "testimonials" came from a certain Khesia Fornea Bordios who says she was a classmate of him... in HS.

Proof: 1) because she was born too late (for around 10 years) to be his HS classmate, and 2) she's a girl. Nato came from an exclusive boys school.

Now if they can fake testimonials like these... I'm not sure what other fakes news you get from your oh-so-reliable social media platform vs legitimate news sources. LOL.

Fake news factories are working overtime, DDS?

So why do you keep finding/reading all those non reliable source that keeps giving fake news? Ni hindi ko nga alam mayroong mga ganyan and I don't even bother looking them up.