• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

hi! may i ask if anyone has an idea if barefoot wines are available in metro manila? or any brand suggestions that is close to its taste? i was able to taste their riesling during a xmas party and it's very refreshing. sadly my friend told me that they bought it from the u.s.

• 2 months later...

I'm a sucker for news on health sites.

Well yes, tannins in red wine protect against heart disease because it contains procyanidins, whatever they are.

And accordingly, wines from southwest France has abundant procyanidins.

So back to Google Maps and Fodor France Guidebook. What is southwest France?

There it is - the Bordeaux. Should have guessed it right away. The Languedoc region. (I am pretty mystified by the Languedoc as it figures prominently in Holy Blood, Holy Grail, whose original thesis was shamelessly filched by this someone named Dan Brown. I hope he drowns in must).Some other places there.

Medoc. Pauillac. Graves. Sauternes. Bergerac. Cahors. St. Emilion. Pomerol. These are the names.

Been into French lately. What I do know is that I have noticed that Australian wines have been giving me some bad buzz lately. What is it in those Aussies? Too much sulphites? The particular vintage of late? Bad grapes? HopingOverly technical, therefore bad processing? I don't know.

What I also know lately is that the French have been quite forgiving. Not cloying. Sometimes too tannic. (Must be the voluminous procyanidins or whatever they're called?).

I am trying to free up some moolah to go upscale with these French wines because those in the lower rungs are an evil puckerish lot.

Hoping to taste good in time.

Cheers!

Edited by bods1000

best for me:

Cabernet Sauvignon

Merlot

Shiraz

from either of these three Argentina, Chile, Australia

great choices!

but whenever I drink a product from any specific country, I make it a point to have the wine grape native to them. So therefore"

Argentina - malbecs

Chile - carmeneres

Australia - shiraz

California - zinfandel or cabernet sauvignon

South Africa - pinotage

Spain - tempranillo

New Zealand - not really native to them, but the Kiwis make good pinot noirs. The other great region for pinot noirs is Oregon, in the US.

France - the Bordeaux wines

Germany/Austria - the rieslings and the gewurtztraminers

Anything I missed out?

But these are not hard-and-fast rules.

Go drink whatever you like best - that is the rule!

cheers!

Chateau Armallac

Is that available here, and for how much?

I'm still a miser with wines.

For the past few weeks, I've been having this Bordeaux called Chateau Bouteilley - reasonably priced and the 14% alcohol being a big factor in buying and drinking it. lol!

Just being new with French wines. Any recommendations? Not too expensive, ok? thanks in advance.

I have a question: My friend said that you should always remove the wine bag from the box and use it like a bota bag. Ive always been of the firm belief that they built the box the way they did because they want you to keep the bag in the box and use it like a coffee dispenser. Whos right?

• 3 weeks later...

Latest haul. Had a few guests over and we head up to Napa and visit some wineries.

From Chateau Montelena

1 2011 Montelena Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

2 2013 Montelena Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

2 2014 Napa Valley Chardonnay

From Rutherford Hill

1 2002 Merlot Reserve

From Grgich Estate

2 2014 Miljenko's Selection Chardonnay

From Elizabeth Spencer Winery

2 2016 Pinot Blanc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Storm dpent a vouple of days with us. Went to the Napa Valley yesterday and took him and another couple to Inglenook for tasting. We got lucky - great host who took us on a tour og the vineyards and through the caves. Bods, Masi - you really need to come and visit!

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...