• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

I keep saying I have too much wine and I should drink more and buy less......then I go buy some more!!!

I went to a wine warehouse sale - lots of good stuff at really good prices. And I ended up picking up a case of Flying Winemaker (aka Cameron Hughes) tempranillo (2008). Nice.....just had a bottle with BBQ baby back ribs. Went really well with the tomato-based sauce. Nice acidity playing off each other with the slight sweetness of the BBQ sauce rounding off the tannins.

Then I went to yet ANOTHER wine sale the following week (check out www.invino.com - but if you decide to sign up, let me know! I will forward an invite to you.) andpicked up a really nice half case of mixed pinot noirs, ranging from Windward Estates, to a Miura from Spain.

And then there are my regular wine shipments - 2 Pennino zins, 2 Cask Cabernet, and 2 single vineyards cabs all from Rubicon Estate (formerly Francis Ford Coppola - he still owns it but split off the lower end wines to FFC Presents in Sonoma). BTW, you will see the old Inglenook label making a comeback. Francis (I get call him by his first name since I an one of his "most valued" wine club members - LOL) bought the label back from Continental and will be bringing the label back to its old glory. One of the first high end cabs I ever tasted was a 1972 Inglenook cab - and it was memorable.

I also picked up my Michel-Schlumberger shipment - a nice, crisp, very dry rose that will go really well with the annual July 4th meat and wine excess, and really nice cab/syrah/petit sirah blend. I'm a happy guy with waaaaayyyyy toooooo much wine! I'm back to over 30 cases! Come over and help me drink some of it up!!!!

Time to do a vertical of Rubicons - '96 to 2006 - 10 wines, every vintage except for '98 (when they DIDN'T make a Rubicon because the grapes weren't good enough). Time for a trip over this way, guys!!! I need at least 15 wine lovers to sign up...... ;)

Edited by agxo3

I keep saying I have too much wine and I should drink more and buy less......then I go buy some more!!!

I went to a wine warehouse sale - lots of good stuff at really good prices. And I ended up picking up a case of Flying Winemaker (aka Cameron Hughes) tempranillo (2008). Nice.....just had a bottle with BBQ baby back ribs. Went really well with the tomato-based sauce. Nice acidity playing off each other with the slight sweetness of the BBQ sauce rounding off the tannins.

Then I went to yet ANOTHER wine sale the following week (check out www.invino.com - but if you decide to sign up, let me know! I will forward an invite to you.) andpicked up a really nice half case of mixed pinot noirs, ranging from Windward Estates, to a Miura from Spain.

And then there are my regular wine shipments - 2 Pennino zins, 2 Cask Cabernet, and 2 single vineyards cabs all from Rubicon Estate (formerly Francis Ford Coppola - he still owns it but split off the lower end wines to FFC Presents in Sonoma). BTW, you will see the old Inglenook label making a comeback. Francis (I get call him by his first name since I an one of his "most valued" wine club members - LOL) bought the label back from Continental and will be bringing the label back to its old glory. One of the first high end cabs I ever tasted was a 1972 Inglenook cab - and it was memorable.

I also picked up my Michel-Schlumberger shipment - a nice, crisp, very dry rose that will go really well with the annual July 4th meat and wine excess, and really nice cab/syrah/petit sirah blend. I'm a happy guy with waaaaayyyyy toooooo much wine! I'm back to over 30 cases! Come over and help me drink some of it up!!!!

Time to do a vertical of Rubicons - '96 to 2006 - 10 wines, every vintage except for '98 (when they DIDN'T make a Rubicon because the grapes weren't good enough). Time for a trip over this way, guys!!! I need at least 15 wine lovers to sign up...... ;)

Time to get a visa. LOL

Happy drinking!

Time to get a visa. LOL

Happy drinking!

Drink, buy, drink, buy, drink, buy....... ;)

I juat had a 2004 Stonefly Vineyards cab. Bought a case of splits (half-bottles) a a wine warehouse sale for $100. $9/btl for a split! But I was promised it would be good = and wow! Dark red fruit. Leathery tannin to hold it all together. Smooth apricot on the back end. Worth EVERY penny!

Last weekend was my birthday weekend so my wife and daughter took me out for dinner - Prospect in SF. Owned by Nancy Oakes of Boulevard fame. Foie gras torchon. Crispy shaved pig's head terrine. Seared scallops with uni risotto. A perfectly medium-rare rib eye. Duck three ways )the most melt-in-your-mouth confit you ever had, seared roasted breast, a terrine of thighs and legs that defies description. Excess meets decadence - and it was memorable. I brought a Rubicon Estate 2007 cab franc. Red berry flavors, a hint of smoke and leather, smooth rounded tannins and a plum and fig finish. Yup - a great dinner! More! More!

And to end the holiday (yup, my birthday is a national holiday in the US! LOL) weekend - Tomales Bay kumamoto oysters followed by fresh (never frozen) Maryland soft shell crabs, panko breaded and deep fried. You don't know crab until you've had soft shell blue crab from the Maryland/Delaware Bay shallows.

I'm a happy, sated, overstuffed guy..........now for some serious dieting over the next couple of week before I go see my doctor. ;)

Drink, buy, drink, buy, drink, buy....... ;)

I juat had a 2004 Stonefly Vineyards cab. Bought a case of splits (half-bottles) a a wine warehouse sale for $100. $9/btl for a split! But I was promised it would be good = and wow! Dark red fruit. Leathery tannin to hold it all together. Smooth apricot on the back end. Worth EVERY penny!

Last weekend was my birthday weekend so my wife and daughter took me out for dinner - Prospect in SF. Owned by Nancy Oakes of Boulevard fame. Foie gras torchon. Crispy shaved pig's head terrine. Seared scallops with uni risotto. A perfectly medium-rare rib eye. Duck three ways )the most melt-in-your-mouth confit you ever had, seared roasted breast, a terrine of thighs and legs that defies description. Excess meets decadence - and it was memorable. I brought a Rubicon Estate 2007 cab franc. Red berry flavors, a hint of smoke and leather, smooth rounded tannins and a plum and fig finish. Yup - a great dinner! More! More!

And to end the holiday (yup, my birthday is a national holiday in the US! LOL) weekend - Tomales Bay kumamoto oysters followed by fresh (never frozen) Maryland soft shell crabs, panko breaded and deep fried. You don't know crab until you've had soft shell blue crab from the Maryland/Delaware Bay shallows.

I'm a happy, sated, overstuffed guy..........now for some serious dieting over the next couple of week before I go see my doctor. ;)

So that's why you were on a binge.

Belated wishes, pare!

Speaking of SF restos, I read a long time ago that Boz Scaggs owned a restaurant there. Is it still open? I forgot the name. He also dabbled in wines.

He was here for a concert last year....

So that's why you were on a binge.

Belated wishes, pare!

Speaking of SF restos, I read a long time ago that Boz Scaggs owned a restaurant there. Is it still open? I forgot the name. He also dabbled in wines.

He was here for a concert last year....

Is that the Blue Light Bar and Restaurant? It' still open but I don't know if he still owns it. Then there's Slim's, another bar he opened, but like the Blue Light I don'[t know if hes still involved. But he is into wines, I hear. I saw Boz Scaggs a few years ago at the Sonoma Jazz Festival. A great performance. We were lucky enough to get seats in the fourth row, and it was a VERY small venue - a tent that held no more than 500 people.

Lots of celebrities are now into wine. It's the best way to make a small fortune - start with a big fortune and open a winery! ;) Went to the Mario Andretti winery in Napa some time ago. Nice place, great venue, middle-grade wine. Mybe I should make that my summer project - hit all the celebrity wineries and write reviews about them!

Then there's Sammy Hagar and his Cabo Wabo tequila. I'm not a tequila connoisseur, but I hear it's actually pretty good!

Is that the Blue Light Bar and Restaurant? It' still open but I don't know if he still owns it. Then there's Slim's, another bar he opened, but like the Blue Light I don'[t know if hes still involved. But he is into wines, I hear. I saw Boz Scaggs a few years ago at the Sonoma Jazz Festival. A great performance. We were lucky enough to get seats in the fourth row, and it was a VERY small venue - a tent that held no more than 500 people.

Lots of celebrities are now into wine. It's the best way to make a small fortune - start with a big fortune and open a winery! ;) Went to the Mario Andretti winery in Napa some time ago. Nice place, great venue, middle-grade wine. Mybe I should make that my summer project - hit all the celebrity wineries and write reviews about them!

Then there's Sammy Hagar and his Cabo Wabo tequila. I'm not a tequila connoisseur, but I hear it's actually pretty good!

It's Slim's, but yes it was a long time ago

and as with these things, he's probably not the owner anymore. He performed with Michael McDonald at the Araneta last year. Of the two performers, it was Boz Scaggs who stood out. Still got the voice and decent guitar-playing.

Hey that looks like a good project - celebrity wineries. We're looking forward to your reviews.

So Cabo Wabo is still up and about. I've been hearing about it since about 2004 when a fellow overseas-based mtc member promised to bring me one. Sadly, hindi kami nagkita. I wonder if it's available here.

It's Slim's, but yes it was a long time ago

and as with these things, he's probably not the owner anymore. He performed with Michael McDonald at the Araneta last year. Of the two performers, it was Boz Scaggs who stood out. Still got the voice and decent guitar-playing.

Hey that looks like a good project - celebrity wineries. We're looking forward to your reviews.

So Cabo Wabo is still up and about. I've been hearing about it since about 2004 when a fellow overseas-based mtc member promised to bring me one. Sadly, hindi kami nagkita. I wonder if it's available here.

Back when the Bammies (the Bay Area Music Awards) were still a big event, the newspaper where TC worked at the time would give us tickets. Always a great show. Carlos Santana (another Bay Area great - he now owns a chain of Mexican restaurants called Maria-Maria), Sammy Hagar, Greg Kihn, Green Day.......Anyway - Cabo Wabo was always featured at the bar. If, of course, always hit the B.R. Cohn red wines. Yes - B. R. Cohn, another celebrity winery (he manages the Doobie Brothers) in the Sonoma Valley.

Back when the Bammies (the Bay Area Music Awards) were still a big event, the newspaper where TC worked at the time would give us tickets. Always a great show. Carlos Santana (another Bay Area great - he now owns a chain of Mexican restaurants called Maria-Maria), Sammy Hagar, Greg Kihn, Green Day.......Anyway - Cabo Wabo was always featured at the bar. If, of course, always hit the B.R. Cohn red wines. Yes - B. R. Cohn, another celebrity winery (he manages the Doobie Brothers) in the Sonoma Valley.

Didn't know that the Greg Kihn Band and Green Day were SF regulars. Anyway the Bay Area spawned a lot of great bands in the 60s/70s. Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Santana, .....were you already there at the time?

Didn't know that the Greg Kihn Band and Green Day were SF regulars. Anyway the Bay Area spawned a lot of great bands in the 60s/70s. Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Santana, .....were you already there at the time?

Greg Kihn now hosts a morning radio show on KUFX (also called K-FOX) in the Bay Area. Classic rock format. With a heavy dose of anecdotes from his rock star days and interviews with the rock performers who come through the area on performances. He lives in Lafayette or MOraga - somewhere in that area.

I've caught a few of the performances in the area over the years, but tended to stay away from bashes like the Grateful Dead New Year concerts which were way too crowded. U2 performed just the other night and the roads were so crowded and backed up some people were stuck in traffic for over 4 hours, and never even got to the arena for the show. I'd be pissed off too!

I did drive by to inhale! ;) Crosby, Stills and Nash are also BA regulars - Graham Nash has a house in SF, and David Crosby lives in Marin County. I think Stephen Stills also has a house in the area but not sure where. I drive through Marin County on my way to the Sonoma County wineries and saw a few years back that Grace Slick's house had a fire! I hope she didn't lose too many bits of memorabilia.

Green Day performed at the Bammies a few years running and had an early career in the SF music scene but I don't think they are really from the Bay Area.

Greg Kihn now hosts a morning radio show on KUFX (also called K-FOX) in the Bay Area. Classic rock format. With a heavy dose of anecdotes from his rock star days and interviews with the rock performers who come through the area on performances. He lives in Lafayette or MOraga - somewhere in that area.

I've caught a few of the performances in the area over the years, but tended to stay away from bashes like the Grateful Dead New Year concerts which were way too crowded. U2 performed just the other night and the roads were so crowded and backed up some people were stuck in traffic for over 4 hours, and never even got to the arena for the show. I'd be pissed off too!

I did drive by to inhale! ;) Crosby, Stills and Nash are also BA regulars - Graham Nash has a house in SF, and David Crosby lives in Marin County. I think Stephen Stills also has a house in the area but not sure where. I drive through Marin County on my way to the Sonoma County wineries and saw a few years back that Grace Slick's house had a fire! I hope she didn't lose too many bits of memorabilia.

Green Day performed at the Bammies a few years running and had an early career in the SF music scene but I don't think they are really from the Bay Area.

Nice bits of trivia! Thanks, pare. For all of us who may never get to see U2 in our lifetime here in Manila, those trivia are precious for their vicarious value hehe.

Does The Dead still perform even without Jerry Garcia now? Anyway their music is too loopy for me but I got most of their classics in my record collection.

Neil Young is Canadian so I guess he does not live there like his former bandmates.

Does Greg Kihn play their hits on his radio show? The Break-up Song and Jeopardy are regulars in my ipod hehe.. Great songs...

Edited by bods1000

Nice bits of trivia! Thanks, pare. For all of us who may never get to see U2 in our lifetime here in Manila, those trivia are precious for their vicarious value hehe.

Does The Dead still perform even without Jerry Garcia now? Anyway their music is too loopy for me but I got most of their classics in my record collection.

Neil Young is Canadian so I guess he does not live there like his former bandmates.

Does Greg Kihn play their hits on his radio show? The Break-up Song and Jeopardy are regulars in my ipod hehe.. Great songs...

Neil Young lives in Santa Cruz, just over the hill from San Jose. He puts on a concert every year to benefit special children - the Bridge Concert, usually at Shoreline Amphitheater.

The Dead still perform but not under that name. Can't remember off-hand what name they perform under. Still play the Dead classics, tho.

Greg Kihn does play his own hits sometimes. He also puts on a yearly concert called the Kihn-cert also as a charity benefit.