• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

@Agxo

I'm in Portland now but I'm sure to head down there for the Harvest Festival. I was informed by my officemate also about the event.

I was in Seattle over the weekend picked-up a 2005 Stonier Pinot Noir and a Kangarilla Road Cabernet Sauvignon. The Pinot Noir was lighter than most Aussie Pinot Noir that I have had. Very good balance and crisp. I had it with Crispy Pata and it was a perfect match for me. hehehe The Cabarnet had this coco and berry notes. Very bold flavors really worked well with the beef caldereta (laced with guiness hehehe) that I made. It was an Aussie wine weekend for me.

@Agxo

I'm in Portland now but I'm sure to head down there for the Harvest Festival. I was informed by my officemate also about the event.

I was in Seattle over the weekend picked-up a 2005 Stonier Pinot Noir and a Kangarilla Road Cabernet Sauvignon. The Pinot Noir was lighter than most Aussie Pinot Noir that I have had. Very good balance and crisp. I had it with Crispy Pata and it was a perfect match for me. hehehe The Cabarnet had this coco and berry notes. Very bold flavors really worked well with the beef caldereta (laced with guiness hehehe) that I made. It was an Aussie wine weekend for me.

Good! Hope to see you there. My brother will be there as well, but as far as I know there will be only TWO Pinoys pouring - him and me. I'm the older one - the old losing (lost???) his hair! ;)

Aussie wines are a good value right now. There's a glut of wines and grapes in Australia - so bad that they are "mothballing" some vineyards. That is, they are reducing the watering to just enough to keep the vines from dying, but not enough so they produce grapes.

walang viking wine dito...too expensive pero i have tried my hand at home brewing a couple of wine kits: a slightly sweet berry wine and a shiraz kit from australlia. The shiraz turned out great but the berry wine was only good for spritzers.

bods...walang geting old ek ek for wine lovers...everyone matures fine :-)

Back in Iceland?

Oh, wine lovers do get old, as compared maybe to teetotalers, or drinkers of stronger liquors, and I also hope they do mature fine..

Been so busy the last few months but rest assured that I still keep company with our favorite drink. Still indulge nightly with the usual suspects, but they're not with that criminal Carlo or the hoodlum Novellino or the crackpot Franzia etc, or else I might get condemned to vino hell.

Hello winos! nice exchanges there agxo and itikbitik. Thanks for keeping this thread alive and I enjoyed reading your posts. Kakainggit tuloy not being in those places you are in.

Agxo, wala bang red yung Basque wine na yun? That might be interesting. Speaking of Basque country I still remember that old Anthony Quinn movie THE GUNS OF SAN SEBASTIAN. Can't remember much of the movie but what I do recall up to now is the scene where, right before the German troops overran their town, the townsfolks formed a line and transferred one by one to a cave their most precious commodity- WINE!

cheers!

try CAV winebar and cafe at serendra.

good selection of wine and cheese.

not quite. the only thing fancy about cav is the wine "vendo" which if 1 is a true afficionado would not be venturing into. similarly for the cheese.

to get value for money (which is the dogma these days) 1 wouldn't go wrong with Santis Yakal or Terry's in Makati or Podium.

hello there, angel by day! I see you are a wino by night. Please do tell us your favorites, and welcome to the thread!

hi bods, long time no see on this thread. just a "heads up" --- agxo, flying in. we're looking into some ventures. he floated the idea of wine trading. this is up your alley, my friend.

Agxo, wala bang red yung Basque wine na yun? That might be interesting. Speaking of Basque country I still remember that old Anthony Quinn movie THE GUNS OF SAN SEBASTIAN. Can't remember much of the movie but what I do recall up to now is the scene where, right before the German troops overran their town, the townsfolks formed a line and transferred one by one to a cave their most precious commodity- WINE!

cheers!

Bods - the only Basque wines I've found locally so far are all Txacoli (whites). No reds yet. Apparently there are some riojas and tempranillos. Gotta go find those. And have to do some research on the Web.

As Masi noted, I'm visiting the beginning of Dec. - going to talk to Masi investigating boing business there,but also interested in talking to you about wine importation and a couple of other things. Can you join the wine EB that Masiw ill set up? Then we can set aside a bit of time to talk!

hello there, angel by day! I see you are a wino by night. Please do tell us your favorites, and welcome to the thread!

oh no sir. not a wine-expert nor regular drinker, even.

i just found their selection ok, for my newbie taste buds.... :rolleyes:

that was just me, speaking.

but i do want to turn it into a habit, albeit a healthy one. :)

hopefully, in the next years to come, when i'd be more than able to afford even half-a-glass of the best that there is.

Good! Hope to see you there. My brother will be there as well, but as far as I know there will be only TWO Pinoys pouring - him and me. I'm the older one - the old losing (lost???) his hair! ;)

Hey IB! Didn't see you @ Retzlaff today. Did you go to the Harvest Festival? I'll be around there tomorrow as well, but probably going wine tasting at a bunch of different wineries. Wood Family for sure. Les Chenes. Boaventuras. Maybe Deer Ridge. Possibly Rodrigue-Molyneaux. Going to pend a bit of time @ Retzlaff also.

I was supposed to be there today. Just had problems in the office and with some shipment that was supposed to go and that I would need in Frankfurt on Wednesday.

I'll try to be there tomorrow. I'm just pissed because the purchasing department just messed up my badly needed vacation and the trip there hehehe.

I'll look for you at Retzlaff tomorrow if I get to go. Good thing I have the 2 day pass.

hi bods, long time no see on this thread. just a "heads up" --- agxo, flying in. we're looking into some ventures. he floated the idea of wine trading. this is up your alley, my friend.

Wine trading....again?

Well, it's always like entering a cul-de-sac when you engage in wine trading here in Manila. But it's always worth a second look. Let's see what you and agxo have in mind. Cheers, pare, and regards to the family.

Bods - the only Basque wines I've found locally so far are all Txacoli (whites). No reds yet. Apparently there are some riojas and tempranillos. Gotta go find those. And have to do some research on the Web.

As Masi noted, I'm visiting the beginning of Dec. - going to talk to Masi investigating boing business there,but also interested in talking to you about wine importation and a couple of other things. Can you join the wine EB that Masiw ill set up? Then we can set aside a bit of time to talk!

Sure thing, agxo. And I hope your planned ventures with masi push through as I would sure like to see you here more often hehehe...My thoughts about wine trading here may now be a bit outmoded as I quit the thing almost 6 years ago but I sure am enthusiastic to share them with you..

oh no sir. not a wine-expert nor regular drinker, even.

i just found their selection ok, for my newbie taste buds.... :rolleyes:

that was just me, speaking.

but i do want to turn it into a habit, albeit a healthy one. :)

hopefully, in the next years to come, when i'd be more than able to afford even half-a-glass of the best that there is.

Hi!

You don't actually need tons of money to enjoy wine. You can buy a lot of good wines here without burning a hole in your pocket. The market is awash in reasonably-priced but enjoyable wines. Check out the Aussie wines here. And as masi said check out the decent outlets - Santi's, Terry's, Premiere Wine Exchange, Wine Depot

I was supposed to be there today. Just had problems in the office and with some shipment that was supposed to go and that I would need in Frankfurt on Wednesday.

I'll try to be there tomorrow. I'm just pissed because the purchasing department just messed up my badly needed vacation and the trip there hehehe.

I'll look for you at Retzlaff tomorrow if I get to go. Good thing I have the 2 day pass.

Didn't get to Retzlaff until around 330 this afternoon, but stayed until past closing chatting with the folks there. Spent a lot of time @ Charles R and Boaventuras earlier in the afternoon. Great wines at both places!