• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

actually sir agxo3 i think novellino here does that - or do they just import the juice

If they import the juice, then that would partially explain the less than good results. Weeks of cold storage before fermentation would certainly drastically change the character of the resulting wine. I don't know anything about their winemaker, so I couldn't tell you anything about his track record.

If they import the juice, then that would partially explain the less than good results. Weeks of cold storage before fermentation would certainly drastically change the character of the resulting wine. I don't know anything about their winemaker, so I couldn't tell you anything about his track record.

Is it also the reason why they make sweet wines so it masks the quality of the "juice"?

On a side note, I had a Ventisquero Queulat Gran Reserva 2005 - a Chilean cab sauv. It had long legs, deep ruby color. Couldn't get a good sniff due to the raclette, but it had a good balance of flavors - berries and tannins and an oak finish. Couldn't believe I drank more than half a bottle.

Ciao to the masters here! Im not really a big wine fan, but since ill be staying here in italy for 6 long years and it seems that wine is a part of their daily life, would you guys recomend me what kind of red wine should i buy? I always buy red wine whenever its on sale, the cheaper ones at about 2 euros a bottle and its ok with me with regards to the taste, flavor. I also look for the milder one like 11% alcohol content. Any recomendation from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Ciao to the masters here! Im not really a big wine fan, but since ill be staying here in italy for 6 long years and it seems that wine is a part of their daily life, would you guys recomend me what kind of red wine should i buy? I always buy red wine whenever its on sale, the cheaper ones at about 2 euros a bottle and its ok with me with regards to the taste, flavor. I also look for the milder one like 11% alcohol content. Any recomendation from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

if you can afford it, barolo and barbaresco.

if you can afford it, barolo and barbaresco.

Thanks ill try to look at those, however how much do u think a bottle costs? If its too pricey then i guess ill just stick to the cheaper ones.

Where in Italy are you? It's not a large country but it has quite a few distinct wine regions, each of which is known for a certain type of wine. I would go for the whatever is the local wine. Ask your local wine shop to recommend their favorite local wine - make friends with a local winemaker, and ask him to recommend other local winemakers. It's a great way to get to know the locals and learn about the wine, the community, the culture, the food.......

Barolo and barbaresco are among the most expensive of the Italian varietals - unless it's really poor quality, I doubt you'll find any 2EUR examples. You'll also note that it may be difficult to find a wine labeled with the varietal - intead they are more likely to be labeled with the wine REGION, as in France. Therefore unless you know the wine regions in Italy and what varietals each region uses you may not be too successful finding good, lower priced local wines.

For lower priced wines that are best known world-wide, I'd look for a good Chianti, one of the Tuscan wines, or one of the Sicilian wines.

What I found in Italy and France was that the local wines are typically quite good and very reasonably priced. Don't go looking for the internationally known labels. I think they keep the good stuff for themselves and export the schlock stuff to the unsuspecting world. I was drinking wine with dinner every night in Rome (a VERY expensive city to eat in!) and paying less ordering a good bottle in a restaurant than for a bottle of sparkling water - about 5EUR for a bottle of wine vs. 7EUR for a liter of water!

Where in Italy are you? It's not a large country but it has quite a few distinct wine regions, each of which is known for a certain type of wine. I would go for the whatever is the local wine. Ask your local wine shop to recommend their favorite local wine - make friends with a local winemaker, and ask him to recommend other local winemakers. It's a great way to get to know the locals and learn about the wine, the community, the culture, the food.......

Barolo and barbaresco are among the most expensive of the Italian varietals - unless it's really poor quality, I doubt you'll find any 2EUR examples. You'll also note that it may be difficult to find a wine labeled with the varietal - intead they are more likely to be labeled with the wine REGION, as in France. Therefore unless you know the wine regions in Italy and what varietals each region uses you may not be too successful finding good, lower priced local wines.

For lower priced wines that are best known world-wide, I'd look for a good Chianti, one of the Tuscan wines, or one of the Sicilian wines.

What I found in Italy and France was that the local wines are typically quite good and very reasonably priced. Don't go looking for the internationally known labels. I think they keep the good stuff for themselves and export the schlock stuff to the unsuspecting world. I was drinking wine with dinner every night in Rome (a VERY expensive city to eat in!) and paying less ordering a good bottle in a restaurant than for a bottle of sparkling water - about 5EUR for a bottle of wine vs. 7EUR for a liter of water!

And on that note, may I add that the Italians frown upon sodas. To further drive down that point, it costs the same to order a bottle of wine (750ml) as it is to order a can of coke (330ml) in restaurants. But who can argue with that when their local table wines are so good?

While you're there, might as well enjoy real pizza cooked in brick ovens using fresh ingredients, their hams and cheeses. You'll have a whole new perspective of what good food should be!

Im staying in milan bro. As i was saying, im just starting to appeciate wine. They have loads and loads of varieties here and ive heard that they produce good wines here however wala nga ako alam pagdating sa kung ano dapat pilliin and of course yung kaya ko bilhin. I will not go for the expensive ones just for the heck of saying i have tasted this and that bro if u know what i mean. I recently bought 2 bottles of red from a grocery, Nero Davola from sicilia and Oltrepo Pavese, dunno which part in italy it came from. Sabi nung binilhan ko it goes well with salami and cheese and its a good wine daw at a bargain price of 5 euros each. Anyway, thanks for the info bro, ill try to look for those uve mentioned and will post it here. Ciao.

And on that note, may I add that the Italians frown upon sodas. To further drive down that point, it costs the same to order a bottle of wine (750ml) as it is to order a can of coke (330ml) in restaurants. But who can argue with that when their local table wines are so good?

While you're there, might as well enjoy real pizza cooked in brick ovens using fresh ingredients, their hams and cheeses. You'll have a whole new perspective of what good food should be!

Youre right bro, they have bars here wherein u can order a glass of wine for a mere 1 euro, same price as coke and beer. They also have a big assortment of cheese, salami, hams, and olives which is a good condiment for wine. can u tell me whats the difference between american and european wines? I heard from some barkadas in manila that italian wines are quite more pricey compared to those american made wines. They even contemplate of us doing business like me sending wine and them looking for prospects in manila which makes me think why not di ba? Anyway thanks for the info bro, ill definitely try to explore more about wines here and will post here for you guys.

Youre right bro, they have bars here wherein u can order a glass of wine for a mere 1 euro, same price as coke and beer. They also have a big assortment of cheese, salami, hams, and olives which is a good condiment for wine. can u tell me whats the difference between american and european wines? I heard from some barkadas in manila that italian wines are quite more pricey compared to those american made wines. They even contemplate of us doing business like me sending wine and them looking for prospects in manila which makes me think why not di ba? Anyway thanks for the info bro, ill definitely try to explore more about wines here and will post here for you guys.

Differences between American vs. European wines? Might as well ask what are the differences between the wines from two neighboring winemakers! Even year to year, wines from the same vineyard and the same winemaker can be dramatically different.

What drives the differences? Time, temperature, weather, fertilizer, soil, winemaker and winemaking style..........

Price is an artificial way of comparing wines and is only useful to determine if you are willing to pay for what you get with each bottle you buy.

Local wines will tend to go well with the foods that are common locally - that only makes sense. Why make a wine you can't drink with your food? That nero davola you bought from Sicily should be good. I've had some that were awesome.

You should get a wine map of Italy so you can see what is grown where and get some tasting notes. Then don't just swill the wine - TASTE it. SMELL it. FEEL it. THINK about it as you swirl it around in your mouth. Taste the different fruits and foods around you, then see what responses the wine generates in your mouth - what flavors come to mind? What impressions do you get? Does the smell remind you of straberries? OR of a barnyard? Does the taste recall that blueberry or raspberry you just had, or a piece of roasted meat?

With wine so cheap around you, you are in a perfect position to learn so much about wine that I envy you! Take advantage of it.

Get yourself out my way and PM me......depending on what's going on, where and with which group......this goes for you all. Storm, Masi, Bods - you still owe me a Livermore wine day! When are you coming this way for that?

There's a PAL promo which has among others, a US$418 round trip fare to the West Coast. Goes on sale tomorrow and Tuesday only, with trip to be taken between Sept and Dec or something like that. Looks inviting and we're studying it hehehe. Been my dream to go to SF and the vineyards there.

There's a PAL promo which has among others, a US$418 round trip fare to the West Coast. Goes on sale tomorrow and Tuesday only, with trip to be taken between Sept and Dec or something like that. Looks inviting and we're studying it hehehe. Been my dream to go to SF and the vineyards there.

What are you waiting for? RUN, don't walk to the nearest PAL office and buy that ticket!!! Then let me know when you're coming and we can plan your California wine adventure. ;)

Edited by agxo3
What are you waiting for? RUN, don't walk to the nearest PAL office and buy that ticket!!! Then let me know when you're coming and we can plan your California wine adventure. ;)

Online booking lang pards. We tried it MOnday pero inabot na kami ng hatinggabi hindi kami maka-book. Seems like the site had glitches or was overloaded. Bad experience booking there online :grr: