• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

What kind of sake is drank hot and what kind is drank cold? How do you know just by looking at the label???

According to my Japanese friend and a few other Japanese I met, drinking sake hot or cold is a matter of personal preference. However, it is customary that during the autumn and winter months in Japan sake is drank warm and cold during the warm and summer months.

Was at Barolo with Liberty last Saturday night since we were "empty-nesting". Lately, we've both been in "wining" moods and we would grab a glass or sometimes a bottle every moment we can.

We got the Refosco Rigoni 2005, Veneto. My mistake was that I smoked a pipe before we ordered so my taste buds were overwhelmed by Captain Black. The only thing I could sense with this label was its fruitness in the nose and some hints of cedar. The rest was simply drank.

... I've already had a few glasses this week of the Peppercorn Lane Cabernet Merlot 2002 at Bianca's Vinotek in Yakal for lunch. This is a good everyday wine that I already bought a couple of bottles to drink at home.

Oh, before I would be accused by Liberty of censoring the wines I post on this thread, we had a bottle of Fortunella, sweet red table wine at Song Do, a Korean restaurant at El Pueblo. We were having a barbeque dinner when the waiter brought the wine saying that the owner sent it. Reading the label alone sent a chill run down my spine, drinking it was a scary proposition. But, I didn't want to offend the owner so I obliged. My verdict, it was better than any other "economy" wines I tried and I would recommend it to those who want to start wine appreciation by the numbers.

Storm - I'm good for an EB.

Profuse apologies winos, been crook on and off the last two weeks till influenza finally hit me last week (just about 80% recovered now). Missed all of you as profusely too :) Pareng Storm, thanks for trying to reach me but I was totally knocked out that day on meds.

Senyor agxo3, I missed you in the flesh again :P

How long does it take kaya for tastebuds to fully recover? :unsure: You guys wanna meet up at Cyrano sometime next week? I'm buying 2bottles of my new flirtations .... white MonkeyBays! :D

Profuse apologies winos, been crook on and off the last two weeks till influenza finally hit me last week (just about 80% recovered now). Missed all of you as profusely too :) Pareng Storm, thanks for trying to reach me but I was totally knocked out that day on meds.

Senyor agxo3, I missed you in the flesh again :P

How long does it take kaya for tastebuds to fully recover? :unsure: You guys wanna meet up at Cyrano sometime next week? I'm buying 2bottles of my new flirtations .... white MonkeyBays! :D

Hey Lips! Sorry to hear you were sick - and glad to hear you're feeling better. Yup, missed again! I guess I just need yet another excuse to visit Manila! Then we can sit and sip some good wine together! Hey Masi - how about setting me up to consult with your crew for a day or two so we can see how they can expand their horizons?

hello all!

haven't been here for quite a while. my wine consumption has also drastically gone down this year; however, a wine i had with dinner last week woke up my interest all over again.

wife and i had dinner at san francisco's house of prime rib. looking through the wine list, i was drawn to a cabernet from a winery that i pass by all the time when i go to visit my daughter in st helena, whitehall winery. i've been meaning to stop by and do a tasting at this winery but always found an excuse not to. so i thought we'd try their wine and use it as some sort of a barometer if the winery is worth a visit. i ordered a 2004 napa valley cabernet sauvignon at $60something for the bottle..

cherry and spicy oak on the nose; blackberry, plum and cherry flavors. very smooth. it was glorious! :)

i need to get a couple of bottles of this and perhaps try some of whitehall lane's other offerings. cheers.

just remembered...back in dorm days...once a month...buddies of mine would hang out...each bring 1 bottle of wine (something we never tried before). we downloaded in the internet a professional wine scoring sheet and pretend we were wine experts and knew how to score...trying to sound intelligent with our comments as we went along. by our 5th bottle (and we were only 7) we would be slushed and would be drinking off the bottle's mouth but still pretend we knew what we were doing...crazy days...fun days

hmmm... any suggestions on how i should take my wine drinking to a higher level? i go usually for napa valley whites and some cabernet. or some french merlot... don't really get how to "appreciate" it .... any tips?

You can educate yourself with books or magazines or in more accessible websites/blogs. Try experimenting and go out of your comfort zone. Lastly, enjoy!

Or you can also join the EB! :thumbsupsmiley: