Surprise bumping into masi and liberty at wine depot last night..so good to see you again! Makes me thirst for the old days hehe...

also sat down with storm a while back for a lightning dinner...pare nakasakay ka na ba ngayon dun sa sports car na pinuntahan mo?

agxo, as for me any wines in your cellar will do! kudos and congrats for that bachannalian July 4th of yours!

@agxo3

I'm back in the bay area. And my doctor suggested a glass of red each night. So I scored 2 bottles of 2005 Montelena Cab Estate. hehehe And my friend gave me 4 bottles from coppola's director's cut line. 2 2007 cab and 2 2007 pinot noir I would say for the price it was really good.

@masi

All in all, a pretty successful evening. Ribs were great - smoky and tangy and I finally got my sauce right! Just the right amount of sweet and spicy, mustard and vinegar. Daughter's pork was good - Cuban/Puerto Rican style, so not competition for my pulled pork, but really nice nonetheless. Went really well with the Beaujolais rose I picked up. And the black meat - there's just nothing else like it. Overcooked a tiny bit - gotta get a new thermometer. Mine's reading about 5 deg too low!!! Cab franc on the wine menu, and several zins including a mini-vertical from Charles R in Livermore.

@itikbitik

Where are you in the Bay Area? Maybe we can meet up for wine one night in Fremont. Vino y Vida has nightly events this summer. Chateasu Montelena is a classic Napa label, and consistently good! Copolla's Director's Cut labels are now produced in Sonoma at the old Chateau Souverain facility. Nice place, but I prefer his Rubicon Estate (the old Inglenook Vineyards from way back when) for atmosphere and one heck of a civilized tasting. I've been slumming lately, looking for a new fav, so to speak. Domenico's in Redwood City (say where? Redwood City? Yup, on Industrial Blvd., no less) was suprisingly good. Picked up a petite syrah. J. Lohr in San Jose. And Hearts and Fire also in San Jose - sad to say, this was their last weekend. They are closing for good!

agxo3 I'm in Peninsula area Fili Town. hehehe You know where it is. Work schedule is a mess right now as well. But a wine tasting EB would be great. I'll try to ask around if there are other MTC memebers in the area who would like to join. I'll drop by the redwood place you mentioned I'm intrigued. Any recommendations from the los gatos sta cruz area?

• 2 weeks later...

agxo3 I'm in Peninsula area Fili Town. hehehe You know where it is. Work schedule is a mess right now as well. But a wine tasting EB would be great. I'll try to ask around if there are other MTC memebers in the area who would like to join. I'll drop by the redwood place you mentioned I'm intrigued. Any recommendations from the los gatos sta cruz area?

@IB - Just recovering from jet lag....back in the area for at least a couple of weeks.

Let's see....Los Gatos/Santa Cruz area......

Los Gatos -

Fleming-Jenkins (owned by Peggy Flemings of Winter OlympicS gold medal fame)

Testarossa in an old Jesuit seminary

Santa Cruz -

Burrell School

David Bruce

Savannah-Chanelle

.....lots of other wineries that I haven't explored yet.....

Try Livermore as well. That's where I've been going The past several years. Great small wineries, and only now beginning to charge for tastings (it seems the limos and wine tours have discovered them!)

• 1 month later...

Surprise bumping into masi and liberty at wine depot last night..so good to see you again! Makes me thirst for the old days hehe...

also sat down with storm a while back for a lightning dinner...pare nakasakay ka na ba ngayon dun sa sports car na pinuntahan mo?

agxo, as for me any wines in your cellar will do! kudos and congrats for that bachannalian July 4th of yours!

It's been a long while mga winos.

Thanks Bods for a wonderful lightning dinner. Couldn't afford the maserati. But I'm still looking for something I can surely afford. Hindi na tayo nagkausap sa Manilart.

Let's schedule a wine eb soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

wine sucks....

Seems like we have a wine fancier residing in the Palace. Such a tepid position as Assistant secretary or something does not do justice to our wine-savvy resident by the river. If Pnoy knows what's good for him, he should not hesitate to transfer the discriminating lady to another position. Or create a new one. Palace Sommelier perhaps, the better to take advantage of her deep knowledge of wines. But of course, with manners to boot to come in handy during state dinners - with which she has an abundance of. Or perhaps, a title like Arbiter of Good Looks, of which she is obviously and extremely qualified. Or maybe, Traffic Czar, or Traffic Czarina if you will.

Mislang misspoke, or mistweeted, but in no way should we continue mistreating her hehe.

cheers!

Winos, may sale ba sa Wine Depot ngayon?

Tomorrow na 10th Grand Wine Experience sa New World Hotel in Makati. Punta kayo. Thanks.

Great event!

There was a wide variety of wines and liquor. Had some great finds last friday night! The only downside was that we couldn't convince the tequila reps to open their top bottle of aged anejo. The unfiltered sake was fantastic! Specially when it was right in front of the yakitori grill and beside the band.

Another Thanksgiving come and gone.......my wines are aging gracefully but with the continuous unbridled growth of my inventory it was time to start enjoying the older stuff, before it goes over the hill and down that slope to certain mediocrity.

Daughter visited from Lalaland, flying in Wed. Morning. So we had rib eye steaks for dinner - medium rare, of course - and I opened myLAST bottle of '97 S. Anderson cab Sauvignon. Smooth, rounded tannins giving way to velvety fruit. Plum, dark cherries, a hint of cocoa and leather, and a dose of espresso. Too bad I'm all out now! That was one great bottle.

Yesterday for Thanksgiving at my brother's place, I decided to bring my '95 Opus One to share. First bottle of the night, and clearly the highlight! Firm but well-integrated tannins, vibrant fruit. Leather and a tiny bit of smoke. Great mouth feel and body. Thank goodness Ihave one more.....this one will go down into the back of my wine fridge, there to hibernate another 3 years or so.

Christmas is coming up - time to bring that '96 Rubicon up from under that pile of magnums to join the '90 Retzlaff on front shelf.......

• 2 weeks later...

agxo3 belated happy thanksgiving

Was able to score some 2007 cliff lede cab sauvignon and a 2006 cliff lede cab sauvignon poetry just a week before thanksgiving. We went to Yountville. We had the 2007 for thanksgiving and I made a crown roast of pork with cornbread stuffing. I was not in the mood for turkey. hehehe I'll fly the 2006 with me and 2 2007 to NY for a family gathering this Christmas. I might make cochinillo for the event if my brother can secure a suckling pig.

You really enjoy Livermore wines. :)

@agxo3

I'm back in the bay area. And my doctor suggested a glass of red each night. So I scored 2 bottles of 2005 Montelena Cab Estate. hehehe And my friend gave me 4 bottles from coppola's director's cut line. 2 2007 cab and 2 2007 pinot noir I would say for the price it was really good.

Got a taste of coppola's director's cut in San Jose and was wondering why no one has bothered to bring that here in the Philippines.

• 2 weeks later...

agxo3 belated happy thanksgiving

Was able to score some 2007 cliff lede cab sauvignon and a 2006 cliff lede cab sauvignon poetry just a week before thanksgiving. We went to Yountville. We had the 2007 for thanksgiving and I made a crown roast of pork with cornbread stuffing. I was not in the mood for turkey. hehehe I'll fly the 2006 with me and 2 2007 to NY for a family gathering this Christmas. I might make cochinillo for the event if my brother can secure a suckling pig.

You really enjoy Livermore wines. :)

Hi IB!

Livermore is close by to me and I know some of the winemakers.

Christmas was ablest. My brother and fAmily came ore for dinner. Opened a '96 Rubicon, a '03 Rubicon Estates Cask Cabernet and a '05 Turnbull Petit Syrah. For dinner we had horseradish crusted prime rib, ham, creamed spinach and savory bread pudding with Parmesan cheese and prosciutto.

Dessert rang red from apple pie to kakanin to homemade cannolis.

All in all a great evening.

Tonight was my wife's g'day so we went to dinner in San Francisco - RN 74, a Michael Mina restaurant. Grat food and a very good wine. DetaiLs in another post.....

Hi IB!

Livermore is close by to me and I know some of the winemakers.

Christmas was ablest. My brother and fAmily came ore for dinner. Opened a '96 Rubicon, a '03 Rubicon Estates Cask Cabernet and a '05 Turnbull Petit Syrah. For dinner we had horseradish crusted prime rib, ham, creamed spinach and savory bread pudding with Parmesan cheese and prosciutto.

Dessert rang red from apple pie to kakanin to homemade cannolis.

All in all a great evening.

Tonight was my wife's g'day so we went to dinner in San Francisco - RN 74, a Michael Mina restaurant. Grat food and a very good wine. DetaiLs in another post.....

When will you visit Pinas?

It' been so quiet here.

Happy new year to all!

Can someone enlighten me about the concept of alcohol content? Say, for beer which normally is 5% alcohol. If you drink a bottle, do you get 5% alcohol in your system? So if you have 5 bottles, does this mean you have imbibed 5 x 5 = 25& alcohol? :wacko:

cheers!

It' been so quiet here.

Happy new year to all!

Can someone enlighten me about the concept of alcohol content? Say, for beer which normally is 5% alcohol. If you drink a bottle, do you get 5% alcohol in your system? So if you have 5 bottles, does this mean you have imbibed 5 x 5 = 25& alcohol? :wacko:

cheers!

The alcohol content of beer/wine/liquor is the measure of the volume of ethanol in it. It is commonly expressed as a percent, such as those found in bottles of beer that says it's 5%, 7%, etc. This is way of writing the alcohol content is called Alcohol By Volume (ABV). Thus, 5% beer means that if you drink 100mL of beer, you actually consume 5mL of ethanol. I think most bottler of beer are 330mL so if you drink a bottle, you take in about 16mL of alcohol. Five bottles would mean 80mL of alcohol. Whoa, that's a cup! :lol: :lol:

Another common way to indicate alcohol content is the proof. Proof is twice the ABV. So if your drink is 30-proof, that means it's actually 15%ABV. :)

The measure of alcohol in your system would now depend on how much ethanol you've taken in in relation to the volume of blood in your body.

Edited by erato

The alcohol content of beer/wine/liquor is the measure of the volume of ethanol in it. It is commonly expressed as a percent, such as those found in bottles of beer that says it's 5%, 7%, etc. This is way of writing the alcohol content is called Alcohol By Volume (ABV). Thus, 5% beer means that if you drink 100mL of beer, you actually consume 5mL of ethanol. I think most bottler of beer are 330mL so if you drink a bottle, you take in about 16mL of alcohol. Five bottles would mean 80mL of alcohol. Whoa, that's a cup! :lol: :lol:

Another common way to indicate alcohol content is the proof. Proof is twice the ABV. So if your drink is 30-proof, that means it's actually 15%ABV. :)

The measure of alcohol in your system would now depend on how much ethanol you've taken in in relation to the volume of blood in your body.

Such a scholarly reply. Thanks! Now I can put my drinking in perspective. :P

Now I also know what engineering dept you were in Melchor Hall. I should have guessed it

earlier when you said that you and LC belonged to the same dept., after having remembered

that LC is (or was?)connected with that big multinational.

cheers, and welcome to the thread!

My apologies, as you will notice that the thread is full of cobwebs, empty wine bottles,

discarded corks and the debris of happy postings.

Is that a cocktail on your avatar?

Such a scholarly reply. Thanks! Now I can put my drinking in perspective. :P

Now I also know what engineering dept you were in Melchor Hall. I should have guessed it

earlier when you said that you and LC belonged to the same dept., after having remembered

that LC is (or was?)connected with that big multinational.

cheers, and welcome to the thread!

My apologies, as you will notice that the thread is full of cobwebs, empty wine bottles,

discarded corks and the debris of happy postings.

Is that a cocktail on your avatar?

Hey Bods! Just dropped by here 'cause I happened to know the answer to the question you posted.

Other than that, no reason for me to be here since I barely drink anything alcoholic; I can't handle it.

And oh, it's Dalandan Juice on my avatar. ;)

Cheers to you and the thread patrons!

Edited by erato

Hey Bods! Just dropped by here 'cause I happened to know the answer to the question you posted.

Other than that, no reason for me to be here since I barely drink anything alcoholic; I can't handle it.

And oh, it's Dalandan Juice on my avatar. ;)

Cheers to you and the thread patrons!

thanks again but you are always welcome here, even if alcohol disagrees with you. the patrons here, on the otherhand, you will find very agreeable.