• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

<snipped>

Today was my wife's birthday, so we went to a place alled Alexander's for dinner. High-end steakhouse - as in nothing but USDA Prime beef, dry aged at least 2 months, or Wagyu beef from Japan.

<snipped>

Belated bday to the mizzuz!

Anyway, that's the joint in Cupertino, right? OT, but are they still claiming "Kobe" wagyu on their menus? While I'm not against simply selling wagyu from Japan, it's really off-base for them to sell it as "Kobe" seeing as how their Kagoshima-sourced wagyu isn't even in the same prefecture - much less the same island!

Belated bday to the mizzuz!

Anyway, that's the joint in Cupertino, right? OT, but are they still claiming "Kobe" wagyu on their menus? While I'm not against simply selling wagyu from Japan, it's really off-base for them to sell it as "Kobe" seeing as how their Kagoshima-sourced wagyu isn't even in the same prefecture - much less the same island!

Nah - now they call it Wagyu. At least on the menu, and what our waiter called it.

It's the Cupertino place. Another place on our list is Forbes Mill in Los Gatos. Probably some time next month when the memory of overindulgence has faded a bit.

To stay on topic - I had a bottle of XS Cab. Sauv. the other night. XS is supposedly the second label of Hess Collection. Hess puts out a really nice wine so I had high hopes for XS. Alas, it was not to be. The wine had a hint of "Bart" which is another bacteria, similar to TCA that results in corkiness. "Bart" results in a "barnyard"-y like character, similar to what you'd expect from an unrestrained pinot noir, but it's not fromt he grapes, it's from the bacteria. It was also tart and thin with a not-too-pleasing moutfeel to it. All in all, a bad experience. I won't repeat it! Oh, BTW - it was in a screw-top bottle, no less!

hi der, im quite interested in venturing myself to wine drinking but alas i do have very little or close to none knowledge about wines, i have tried some wines that are available in the market, and have found the red mostly to be quite not as tasteful (its bitter and makes me even more thirsty) as I see in their reaction on tv. Now from what i see what taste should i be expecting from a good wine? I really thought it would be a delicious and sweet drink and not a bitter and peculiar smelling.

thanks.....

Love Full dry reds myself.

Big old growtheZinfandels from California, Chateau Neuf de Pape from southern Rhone, Penfolds Syrahs,

My advice to you newbies is to start light and introduce the drier wines with the appropriate foods.

Pairing wine and food is a great way to elevate the delight of both.

Once you have had a masterfully prepared multi course dinner with excellent wine pairings you will have experienced one of the finest joys known to humanity.

Good Tasting! :thumbsupsmiley:

Natawa ako sa post mo pareng bods!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Happy new year!!!

Belated happy birthday to Mrs. Agxo!

I'm getting fat from eating too much beef, lamb, goose or duck and lechon matched with wine some of which I forgot the name (Mont Gras 2004 Cab Sauv, Mont Gras 2004 Merlot, Astica 2004 Malbec, etc.) except for the one we had last night which was a 2003 Jacob's Creek Reserve Cab Sauv. It went well with the calderetang kambing, balat ng lechon and salmon sashimi.

I will have a French man and his family as guests for tomorrow's dinner in our house. I don't know what to serve. I'll appreciate some tips.

I served assorted seafood matched with a South African Sauvignon Blanc.

Belated greetings din pareng storm!

So what happened with the Frenchman guest?

Had a slew of cheap wines to drink with my brothers in law last New Year. All I can say is that the food was more unforgettable than the wines. There was even a Novellino, which I am proud to declare that I was not yet that drunk to have tasted it. Looking at the liquid in my friends' glasses, I was mystified. Ganun pala yun - hindi nawawala yung bula pagkasalin mo. It stays floating there on top of the "wine" like some sickly-looking dishwater!

Got a Normans Encounter Bay Shiraz from a short trip to HK a week ago (twas on sale hehehe). Don't know if the wine needed further cellaring (vintage 2006) but it's so tannic upfront - ang hirap ubusin. Now the most memorable wine I had was the Nine Vines Shiraz Voignier - this is a clear winner. Mild sweet taste fruit upfront but searing finish at the back which we loved so well. Balanced everywhere. Unusual combination there of a red grape with a white grape but I can say that it worked.

Edited by bods1000
Never knew that Jinro ventured into wine making! I thought Jinro only made "shojou" which goes down very well with kalbi.

A Korean gave me a bottle of "raspberry wine" which comes in an exquisite bottle. Never had the courage to open it --- that's why unlike Bods, I'll never climb up Mt. Everest!!!

Remind me to bring this bottle on our wine ebs.

It was more like going down the depths of the Korean Sea when I opened the Jinro.

yes, pare that Korean "raspberry" wine is at the bottom, I mean, the top of our list in our next EB hehehe...

regards to all and another Happy Drinking Year!

thanks Mr. Albert. My rating for the wine will come as soon the two Koreas unite - Robert Parker

Get that rating ready, Robert! If I believe the esteemed Georgie-porgie, NoKor will be toeing the line real soon! Along the same lines as "Mission accomplished!" and "great job, Brownie!" :lol:

On a more related note - I opened a 2003 Ravenswood Vintner's Blend tonight, to go with the leftover prime rib from Christmas dinner (frozen 'til now, of course!). Wow! Black fruit (berries, cherries and plum). a hint of fig (??). Rich, tannins well-subdued but still well-structured. I saved a bit for tomorrow. I wish I had more of those babies! And that was a $10 bottle, IIRC! On sale, natch! Otherwise it's more like $13-15. Safeway was having a wine sale, so I picked up a Hess Collection Mt. Veeder cab. 2003. I hope it was a good deal - at $40 it better be!

Get that rating ready, Robert! If I believe the esteemed Georgie-porgie, NoKor will be toeing the line real soon! Along the same lines as "Mission accomplished!" and "great job, Brownie!" :lol:

On a more related note - I opened a 2003 Ravenswood Vintner's Blend tonight, to go with the leftover prime rib from Christmas dinner (frozen 'til now, of course!). Wow! Black fruit (berries, cherries and plum). a hint of fig (??). Rich, tannins well-subdued but still well-structured. I saved a bit for tomorrow. I wish I had more of those babies! And that was a $10 bottle, IIRC! On sale, natch! Otherwise it's more like $13-15. Safeway was having a wine sale, so I picked up a Hess Collection Mt. Veeder cab. 2003. I hope it was a good deal - at $40 it better be!

For the Jinro, a new set of ratings will be devised. Instead of little wine glasses to indicate classification, it would be small drawings of nuclear warheads - with 5 nukes being the worst.

It was more like going down the depths of the Korean Sea when I opened the Jinro.

yes, pare that Korean "raspberry" wine is at the bottom, I mean, the top of our list in our next EB hehehe...

regards to all and another Happy Drinking Year!

For the Jinro, a new set of ratings will be devised. Instead of little wine glasses to indicate classification, it would be small drawings of nuclear warheads - with 5 nukes being the worst.

Sounds like a good candidate for my annual bad wine contest. I hold it every 4th of July - will you be around to introduce your entry? :rolleyes:

On a happier note - I stopped by Savannah-Chanelle winery over the weekend. Just driving around.......and my wife suggested we stop there. Good stop! I tasted (and ended up buyng a case of) their 2004 Syrah. I joined their wine club ($48 every 3 months - not bad!) and got the case for 50% off retail. A truly serependitious stop.

Lots of fruit. Jammy! Yummy black fruits, some black berries and black cherries. Some dark plum. A hint of raisin (!) but all balanced by nice structure and some soft tannins. Their tasting notes say this should be good now through 2011, but my case won't make it that long!! Had some tonight with some leftover (frozen then thawed out tonight) prime rib. My cholesterol hates me but I gave myself two glasses of wine to keep that nasty artery-clogging s$%t at bay!

Sounds like a good candidate for my annual bad wine contest. I hold it every 4th of July - will you be around to introduce your entry? :rolleyes:

On a happier note - I stopped by Savannah-Chanelle winery over the weekend. Just driving around.......and my wife suggested we stop there. Good stop! I tasted (and ended up buyng a case of) their 2004 Syrah. I joined their wine club ($48 every 3 months - not bad!) and got the case for 50% off retail. A truly serependitious stop.

Lots of fruit. Jammy! Yummy black fruits, some black berries and black cherries. Some dark plum. A hint of raisin (!) but all balanced by nice structure and some soft tannins. Their tasting notes say this should be good now through 2011, but my case won't make it that long!! Had some tonight with some leftover (frozen then thawed out tonight) prime rib. My cholesterol hates me but I gave myself two glasses of wine to keep that nasty artery-clogging s$%t at bay!

I could be around, but my problem would be how to get out of California if ever I introduce that entry. It is a great possibility that Southern-style lynch mobs might resurface in sunny California :upside:

Tasted some new cheap wines over the weekend - Jackaroo from Oz and Casa Cervantes from Spain.

I'd say that Jackaroo should be pulled out of the endangered species list and be allowed to suffer some natural extinction while with the Casa Cervantes, I think it would be more fun and exciting running with the bulls in Pamplona than drinking that bottle. :sick:

hi der, im quite interested in venturing myself to wine drinking but alas i do have very little or close to none knowledge about wines, i have tried some wines that are available in the market, and have found the red mostly to be quite not as tasteful (its bitter and makes me even more thirsty) as I see in their reaction on tv. Now from what i see what taste should i be expecting from a good wine? I really thought it would be a delicious and sweet drink and not a bitter and peculiar smelling.

thanks.....

Try out Paul Masson Red Wine.

It's good not only for drinking, but for cooking as well.

Lalo na pag gagamitin mong cooking liquid sa Braised Beef. :thumbsupsmiley:

Mas mura at masarap daw ang Carlo Rossi, pero hindi ko pa natitikman yun.