My wife and I went to Barolo @ Serendra last Saturday. This place is a quaint wine bar with a moderate Italian (some French, Argentinian, and Chilean) wine selection. After much discussion with the sales staff, who were alright in at least telling me their "best sellers", my wife and I decided to get a bottle of Luigi Leonardo 2003 Chianti. Per label, this Chianti was a blend of Sagiovese, Canail Nero, Trebbiano and Malviasia grapes. Visually the wine was inviting with its mid crimson color.

Nose was lively and floral. It had the flavors of ripe cherries. Tannins were moderate and "legs" were pretty long with 12.5% volume alcohol. No peppery or oaky spice. Finish was good.

Pricewise this bottle was good value.

I have to commend Barolo for their exquisite stemware.

Wow :boo: Nice avatar mareng lips.

I don't believe it's 200lbs. To see is to believe. Hehehe!

O pareng boomouse, let's have an eb within the week.

Pareng Storm naman, 5million years na itong avatar ko anoh! Ngayon mo lang napansin? :lol:

Come now, a liplock from whom would it take, then, to mask a bad wine? Everyone has a "price..." :lol:

Personally, reconstituted Greek amphorae-gelled wine would taste just dandy to me as long as I got to sip it out of Morena Baccarin's navel, or licked from betwixt Monica Bellucci's cleavage... :P

ha ha ha ... Darling, agreeing to drink bad wine from the lips of Brad is different from deluding myself into believing I am drinking good wine! :P Not even Brad's lips could hold that much magic. But hey I would drink bad wine from Brad's lips! :lol:

I got introduced to wine during a strayed visit to a Santi's branch looking for German sausages. The Santi's lady strongly recommended a Cabernet Sauvignon from Chateau Los Boldos (it was below P300 many years back).

It truly is an excellent first step into the journey and adventure of wine appreciation. If I had mistakenly drank a really bad wine, I would probably have sworn never to touch wine again...

My favorite entry-level wine now is La Planta (P500) from the Ribera del Duero region of Spain. The new release is available now in Wine Depot outlets.

Let's go on with the EB and continue our debates there! Meron ba dito Merlot haters like that guy in Sideways? :goatee:

Am not fond of Merlot but strangely the CabSavMerlot went down quite well when I had it. :)

The 'ol reliable Bacchus is still there at 6750. Enjoy!

Wow, this forum is getting more popular!

This thread has always been very popular with many shy lurkers. I wish a lot of them would come out of the closet or cellar so to speak and start posting their vino experiences here :)

Wine Drinker here :thumbsupsmiley:

Welcome jeter08! So tell us about your fave drop :D

I completely agree!

Have a great weekend folks!

Announcement:

You are cordially invited to the opening of my first solo sculpture exhibit for the year 2007. Please pass on the invitation to your family/friends who may be interested in the arts. Thanks and see you there.

Ehermmmmm eto na pagkakataon ko ipamukha ang aking 200lbs butt! I'll be there!!! What would be the best time to catch you guys there?

It's like being camped out, sleeping in your tent, then waking up in the middle of the night to see the Northern Lights for the first time - maybe that was the effect of your post. Everyone was just dumbstruck, and most probably starstruck, to give a quick reply :upside:

I bet you wouldn't know if it's a bad wine if you taste it on the lips of Mrs. Brad Pitt :rolleyes:

well it's still not Seattle weather. It rains then the sun comes back with a vengeance. Bad weather for storing wine hehehe

I remember somebody else saying that rains are her favorite, because...but that's another story and does not belong to this wholesome thread lol....

AWARD BODS!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yes, Mrs. Brad Pitt is way tempestuous not to consider. :evil:

My wife and I went to Barolo @ Serendra last Saturday. This place is a quaint wine bar with a moderate Italian (some French, Argentinian, and Chilean) wine selection. After much discussion with the sales staff, who were alright in at least telling me their "best sellers", my wife and I decided to get a bottle of Luigi Leonardo 2003 Chianti. Per label, this Chianti was a blend of Sagiovese, Canail Nero, Trebbiano and Malviasia grapes. Visually the wine was inviting with its mid crimson color.

Nose was lively and floral. It had the flavors of ripe cherries. Tannins were moderate and "legs" were pretty long with 12.5% volume alcohol. No peppery or oaky spice. Finish was good.

Pricewise this bottle was good value.

I have to commend Barolo for their exquisite stemware.

Hmmm pasabache ba yung baso nila? :lol:

I've had the Leonardo Chianti twice already and they were consistently good -- and man, the legs on that drop were as long as Julia Roberts' legs! :lol: Hope to see you. Ms. Liberty and Bods on Thursday! :D

I completely agree!

Have a great weekend folks!

Announcement:

You are cordially invited to the opening of my first solo sculpture exhibit for the year 2007. Please pass on the invitation to your family/friends who may be interested in the arts. Thanks and see you there.

Congratulations Storm!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

It's like being camped out, sleeping in your tent, then waking up in the middle of the night to see the Northern Lights for the first time - maybe that was the effect of your post. Everyone was just dumbstruck, and most probably starstruck, to give a quick reply :upside:

I bet you wouldn't know if it's a bad wine if you taste it on the lips of Mrs. Brad Pitt :rolleyes:

well it's still not Seattle weather. It rains then the sun comes back with a vengeance. Bad weather for storing wine hehehe

I remember somebody else saying that rains are her favorite, because...but that's another story and does not belong to this wholesome thread lol....

Wow, Bods, you're at it again! (I meant, in the state of drunken stupor!) :D

quite true..

we've been having these informal "wine" drinkings with my partners every Friday night. Needless to say, wine was a very foreign drink to them. I myself am not much of an expert but I've had some experience so it was always me who tries to guide them. It's true - anyone who starts out with mediocre wines then subtly shifts to good enough wine will know the difference, like they did when we progressed through several weeks. In fact, the first wines they tasted were really not that good (think Carlo Rossi and Angove's) and their comments mirrored the wines they were drinking. I kept my comments to a minimum, just let them have a drink and see for themselves.

Then we progressed to Wolf Blass Yellow Label, Rosemount Diamond Label, Mcguigan Bin 4000, Wyndham Bin 555, Grant Burge, etc,- ordinary but decent enough wines and the positive comments came pouring in. NOw they're beginning to enjoy wine. I think there's no way for them to go back to bad wines now that they've had some sip of heaven...

Well, with a mentor like you, their learning curve will be very steep. :thumbsupsmiley:

Hmmm pasabache ba yung baso nila? :lol:

I've had the Leonardo Chianti twice already and they were consistently good -- and man, the legs on that drop were as long as Julia Roberts' legs! :lol: Hope to see you. Ms. Liberty and Bods on Thursday! :D

What is "pasabache" Senyora? I've been out of circulation for so long that I could hardly differentiate alcohol and work!!! :blink:

speaking of Wine Depot we just had their wine of the week - Veramonte Reserva Cab Sauv and it was just great. My friends just loved it, and to think that it was just P400. The Grant Burge shiraz which came after it did not impress anyone anymore, and it was more expensive...gotta check out that La Planta. Thanks pare...

The La Planta that is sold now in Wine Depot is a new release (red label) and is different from before (cream-colored label). There are differences in this new release, most notable is the "appelation" Ribera del Duero is now on the label with a DOC guarantee. There is more fruit and concentration in this release. This is even more intense than Arzuaga's Ribera del Duero Crianza. The problem with Crianza is that by law they have to age the wine for a minimum of 2 years, so they release La Planta earlier and also at a friendlier price. The Crianza, on the other hand, is more balanced and classy. Both are 100% tempranillo.

I also tried Veramonte Reserva Chardonnay. Very crisp with hints of oak. Veramonte Primus was really good, Bordeaux-like, and rated 91 by Wine Spec.

try nyo NUITS ST GEORGE and CHAMBARTIN,

Nuits St. George is a red Burgundy (made from pinot noir grapes) and Gevrey-Chambertin (made from chardonnay grapes) is a white burgundy. Both refer to the village where the wine is from - grapes are grown there, wine is vinted there. As one would expect, there are differences - who's the producer of the wines you are referring to? What vintage?

If you like these wines, you might want to compare them to wines from other parts of the world,but made from the same grapes, i.e., pinots from Australia (and if you can find them there, pinots from Russian River Valley in Sonona and from Oregon), and chrdonnays from various places around the world. You'll be surprised at the great variation in styles and quality of the wines. Note the vintages - as I said earlier, some years are better than others! That variation is driven by the weather during the growth season and frm year to year can result in a great wine or a really poor example of the breed.

I opened a bottle of Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 Sonoma County which I been keeping in my fridge for a few years.

Very deep red to violet colors. Nose was rich cherries, dark berries and hints of vanilla. Mouth was smooth and complex, mildly tannic and some hints of oak and cocoa. Finish was moderate and velvety.

With all the rushing and stress I subject myself daily, this experience was divine.

Mr. Agxo3 hello!!! :) Failed to greet you some pages back. So are we finally going to have the pleasure of your ebullient company live soon in Manila? Volunteering my backyard patio for us to get together (basta umulan para malamig since the house isn't centrally airconditioned :lol:) with the gang if and when you get here :)

Pareng Storm, sorry I was not able to drag my 200lbs butt to your opening last night because I couldn't find someone to accompany me (belat to Bods and Masi albeit Masi had a valid reason). I'll probably drop by on my own some lonely afternoon (naks, can you hear the violins in the background? :lol:) and hope you and Mrs. Storm are there. :) Am sure it was successful as your previous exhibits have been.

Good Friday Vino Winos! The weather has just been absolutely lovely for sipping an intense red and am going to do just that tonight... with or without a drinking mate! :lol: Salut!

I opened a bottle of Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 Sonoma County which I been keeping in my fridge for a few years.

Very deep red to violet colors. Nose was rich cherries, dark berries and hints of vanilla. Mouth was smooth and complex, mildly tannic and some hints of oak and cocoa. Finish was moderate and velvety.

With all the rushing and stress I subject myself daily, this experience was divine.

Great choice! Overall, 2001 was a very good year for California cabs. By this time The Napa 2001s I've had have all been excellent. Nothing like a great wine that you can simply sit down, sip, and enjoy to take your stress away.

Mr. Agxo3 hello!!! :) Failed to greet you some pages back. So are we finally going to have the pleasure of your ebullient company live soon in Manila? Volunteering my backyard patio for us to get together (basta umulan para malamig since the house isn't centrally airconditioned :lol:) with the gang if and when you get here :)

Pareng Storm, sorry I was not able to drag my 200lbs butt to your opening last night because I couldn't find someone to accompany me (belat to Bods and Masi albeit Masi had a valid reason). I'll probably drop by on my own some lonely afternoon (naks, can you hear the violins in the background? :lol:) and hope you and Mrs. Storm are there. :) Am sure it was successful as your previous exhibits have been.

Good Friday Vino Winos! The weather has just been absolutely lovely for sipping an intense red and am going to do just that tonight... with or without a drinking mate! :lol: Salut!

Ms. Lips! Absatively! I have been plotting a return to Manila these past few months and if I can get my next round of travel approved, I will defintely be dropping by. Right now its looking like around the end of August. If I can, I will bring a bottle or three.

Storm, sorry I missed your last exhibit - will have another one around the end of August? Wifey LOVES the dancer. Everyone who sees her is still blown away!

Off for the weekend - I'm in suuny Taiwan right now but plan to return to SFO tomorrow evening. Take care, all!

I missed you guys. Those who came were mostly friends and fellow artists. Some friends didn't make it also but promised to drop by next week. Please let me know by text when are you planning to drop by so we'll also be there. The gallery closes at 5pm. We're planning to have a closing party on the last day of the show (August 18).

Ms. Lips! Absatively! I have been plotting a return to Manila these past few months and if I can get my next round of travel approved, I will defintely be dropping by. Right now its looking like around the end of August. If I can, I will bring a bottle or three.

Storm, sorry I missed your last exhibit - will have another one around the end of August? Wifey LOVES the dancer. Everyone who sees her is still blown away!

Off for the weekend - I'm in suuny Taiwan right now but plan to return to SFO tomorrow evening. Take care, all!

Sayang you were not able to drop by Manila. My next show will be either September or October. Have a safe trip.

AWARD BODS!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yes, Mrs. Brad Pitt is way tempestuous not to consider. :evil:

let's get back to MR. Brad Pitt before this thread resembles the eye of that tempest hehehe...

sorry storm for not making it on opening night but it has really been my wont to go on just an ordinary day, and yes Senyora Lipstick, being averse to crowds of people IS a valid reason. Besides baka malasing ako dun ang dami pa namang tao lol....Planning to go there either Monday or Tuesday.

Congratulations Storm!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Wow, Bods, you're at it again! (I meant, in the state of drunken stupor!) :D

Well, with a mentor like you, their learning curve will be very steep. :thumbsupsmiley:

Drunken stupor from a lot of bad wine lately and that's not a very attractive combination!

The curve is quite choppy still - difficult to wean them away from ordinary drinks. Kung minsan nga naiisip ko mag martinin na lang kami or whiskey with the way we conduct the sessions. I mean the foods don't usually match and most of them come out with sorry faces. But we're getting there hehehe...

That's why I miss our gatherings - food and company and the selection of wine is hard to top.

The La Planta that is sold now in Wine Depot is a new release (red label) and is different from before (cream-colored label). There are differences in this new release, most notable is the "appelation" Ribera del Duero is now on the label with a DOC guarantee. There is more fruit and concentration in this release. This is even more intense than Arzuaga's Ribera del Duero Crianza. The problem with Crianza is that by law they have to age the wine for a minimum of 2 years, so they release La Planta earlier and also at a friendlier price. The Crianza, on the other hand, is more balanced and classy. Both are 100% tempranillo.

I also tried Veramonte Reserva Chardonnay. Very crisp with hints of oak. Veramonte Primus was really good, Bordeaux-like, and rated 91 by Wine Spec.

Veramonte it turns out has an excellent pedigree. It is owned by August Huneeus who started the Errazuriz line in Chile. He went out on his own to vint Veramonte and that's when Robert Mondavi took over Errazuriz. Primus is Veramonte's top-of-the line and I believe it is quite excellent.

See you on Thursday at Hiraya Gallery.

We'll be there early before the opening which is at 6 pm.

Hiraya Gallery is located at 530 U.N. Avenue, Ermita, Manila.

Pareng storm, congrats with the exhibit. Hope you get sold out so we can celebrate with wine!!!

I checked out Gaster's Deli and Resto in 6750 over the weekend. They have a decent wine selection. Nothing spectacular but a couple of Jané Ventura (from Spain) selections caught my eye. What is good here is they charge you only 10% service charge for opening a bottle of wine. They also have a couple of deli items to go with your wine. Instead of wine, I opted for some German wheat beers and Irish dark ale.

Desptie doctor's orders, I had the pleasure of savoring a South African red - A Brampton 2004 OVR from a blend of Cab Sauv, Merlot and Shiraz. Though young, it was a drink now wine. Very long legs, deep purple color, dark berries aroma. Strong taste of licorice, strong tannins (quite bitter!) with hints of pepper. Very good wine!

Sayang you were not able to drop by Manila. My next show will be either September or October. Have a safe trip.

I'm going to miss the end of your show, Storm! :wacko:

BUT - my travel was approved so I will be making reservations. :cool: Current plan is to stop by Manila before my meetings in China. So, I go from SFO to Manila then on to HK where I take off into China. My meeting start Aug 27 so I will liklely be in Manila the Friday before (Aug 24) and leave Sunday (Aug 26). A bit of family business to attend to mid-day saturday but other than that I think I'm flexible. Storm, Lips, Bods, Masi - I leave it to you to make the plans, okay? Just let me know where, what time and what day (Friday or Saturday), and I'll be there. I plan to take a box for my nephew so I'll pack a bottle for us while I'm at it!