What Every Car Owner Should Have

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is not a requirement, but a great asset: Experience. Both driving, and experience with the location.

The problem with Metro Manila, as I observed, is the apparent lack of trust towards police officers and MMDA's. While there are upright and loyal authorities, I believe that most are crooked. For example, near the Manila City Hall, Lawton towards Roxas/Taft underpass, there are officers always near the tree, looking for someone to nab. The 10+ years I have lived here, I have never seen an accident happen in the location; so why do these crooked cops hide in there? For me, the answer is only to accept bribes from people who changed lanes. Even if you changed lanes in a lane that has broken line, they say that you are "swerving", a violation that simply does not exist.

These MMDA's exist not to help alleviate traffic, but rather, to worsen it, and to nab unsuspecting drivers. They are not there when we need them the most; during traffic or rain, but they are always there when the roads are clear, and the traffic is flowing. These are the sort of authorities that we do not require. I am against the attitude of MMDA, but I am appreciative of the enforcers in the province, I have experienced their willingness to assist, and as I have seen, they prioritize the traffic, rather than the driver.

I may not necessarily follow all of the rules of the road, but I believe that as a driver, we need to respect each other. I am not a perfect driver, and I make mistakes, driving is a privilege, and not a right. We need to learn how to respect each other, because after respect comes trust. I want to drive in a location where we are perfectly comfortable driving, because we know we can trust our fellow drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

first time car owner and this thread is really helpful.

though there are some stupid (namimilosopo) and outdated comments(thread is over 10 yrs old so that's to be expected, could still be helpful though to people with older cars)

so for me i'd definitely have this in my car:

basic tool kit (spare tires/ ewd has been included with the car)

emergency kit and first aid kit

or cr, maski photocopy lng

comprehensive insurance

personal supplies (change of clothes/ snacks/ water/ tissues)

spare cash for emergencies

and most importantly proper training before getting your license

doesn't matter if it's thru a driving school or just informally from friends/ family. basta matuto muna kayo bago mag maneho mag isa

Edited by MajBe
  • 2 months later...