Free Legal Advice

Butsoy

mates i just would like to get you opinion on something, I'm thinking of buying a new system but i'm still considering if I should go the Intel way or the AMD way. Cash considerations apply and the power the performance of course. I'm sure may mga dream machines lahat tayo, maybe you can give me the specs that you think is best performance for value. also how does hyper threading work :unsure: and the Dual DDR ram thing? i'm trying to read up on it but i'll appreciate input from you guys.

this is the specs i'm considering:

CPU Pentium 4 2.4C Ghz 800Mhz HT (boxed)

Asus Motherboard P4P800 deluxe i865PE

256 DDRAM Memory 400 MHz (2 pcs to be able to use the dual DDR feature, tama ba ang iniisip ko?)

80 GB Western Digital HD 7200 rpm

GeForce 4 Titanium

help guys!

mates i just would like to get you opinion on something, I'm thinking of buying a new system but i'm still considering if I should go the Intel way or the AMD way. Cash considerations apply and the power the performance of course. I'm sure may mga dream machines lahat tayo, maybe you can give me the specs that you think is best performance for value. also how does hyper threading work :unsure: and the Dual DDR ram thing? i'm trying to read up on it but i'll appreciate input from you guys.

256 DDRAM Memory 400 MHz (2 pcs to be able to use the dual DDR feature, tama ba ang iniisip ko?)

GeForce 4 Titanium

help guys!

Personally sa akin ok na yung specs mo. Saan mo pala gagamitin yan? Kung sa games ok na yan :D

For the same clock speed,2.4 intel vs 2.4 AMD get the AMD, mas mabilis yun. Ang 1.3ghz ng AMD equal siya sa !1.7 ghz na P4. Pang gaming talaga AMD. Sa MB naman, ECS is ok and a little less expensive than asus. Video card, always go for the best that your money can buy, and you can never have too much memory. ;)

GeForce 4 Titanium

help guys!

Personally sa akin ok na yung specs mo. Saan mo pala gagamitin yan? Kung sa games ok na yan :D

thanks for the tips. Gaming is my biggest priority, i've always been into AMD but with all the concern about heat problems nag da-dalawang isip tuloy ako. the main reason i'm buying Intel is for the Hyper threading thingie and the Asus motherboard is for it's great bundle and options for 800 FSB plus Dual DDRAM support (your comments on how this works and how I can make it work will be much appreciated).

May nakita akong casing na maganda sa AMD, aside from the power supply exhaust fan at exhaust fan sa likod, meron isa pang fan na pwede mo flip open sa taas ng casing to tatlo yung fan all in all :D

Also, dagdagan mo na memory to 512MB.

yup, 2 pcs of 256 DDRAM 400MHz so that the Dual DDR capability of the board will be activated (or I think that's how it's supposed to be :unsure: ) puwede dalawang 512 but my cash might not make that possible.

May nakita akong casing na maganda sa AMD, aside from the power supply exhaust fan at exhaust fan sa likod, meron isa pang fan na pwede mo flip open sa taas ng casing to tatlo yung fan all in all :D

Also, dagdagan mo na memory to 512MB.

yup, 2 pcs of 256 DDRAM 400MHz so that the Dual DDR capability of the board will be activated (or I think that's how it's supposed to be :unsure: ) puwede dalawang 512 but my cash might not make that possible.

teka anong ibig mong sabihing dual DDR?

GeForce 4 Titanium

help guys!

thanks for the tips. Gaming is my biggest priority, i've always been into AMD but with all the concern about heat problems nag da-dalawang isip tuloy ako. the main reason i'm buying Intel is for the Hyper threading thingie and the Asus motherboard is for it's great bundle and options for 800 FSB plus Dual DDRAM support (your comments on how this works and how I can make it work will be much appreciated).

Ano nga pala ang Dual DDR na sinasabi mo pala? Bago din yan sa pandinig ko. Bagong type ng DDR ba yan?

pwede rin bang mga tech-related developments dito? anyway, share ko lang to. i wonder how long it will take us before our educational system adapts to the technological world...

IDA-Microsoft initiative brings tablet PCs into classroom

By Bridgette See, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : Instead of pen and paper, 200 River Valley High students are using the stylus and tablet PCs for notetaking.

They are testing out a new way of learning as part of a S$20m initiative by the Infocomm Development Authority and Microsoft.

The project, called BackPack.NET, is a 5-year project to test and develop innovative technologies in education.

Acting Education Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said the project is just one example of how the classroom of the future might look like, as schools have the freedom to explore ways to integrate IT into their curricula.

Two other schools are looking into a similar trial. - CNA

Edited by DarkAngel

Dual-Channel DDR:

Dual-channel DDR technology doubles the bandwidth of your system memory and hence boost the system performance to out perform any memory existing solutions in the market.

What's dual-channel DDR?

To add to the confusion, enter dual-channel DDR. The terminology "dual-channel DDR" is being misused by some in the memory industry, which can mislead the consumer. The fact is there's no such thing as dual-channel DDR memory. There are, however, dual-channel platforms.

When properly used, the term "dual channel" refers to the DDR chipset on certain motherboards designed with two memory channels instead of one. The two channels handle memory-processing more efficiently by utilizing the theoretical bandwidth of the two modules, thus reducing system latencies, the timing delays that inherently occur with one memory module. For example, one controller reads and writes data while the second controller prepares for the next access, hence, eliminating the reset and setup delays that occur before one memory module can begin the read/write process all over again. Think of it like two relay runners. The first runner runs one leg while the second runner sets up and prepares to receive the baton smoothly and carry on the task at hand without delay. While performance gains from dual-channel chipsets aren't huge, they can increase bandwidth by as much as 10 percent. To those seeking to push the performance envelope, that 10 percent can be very important.

So the next time you come across a product that's touted and sold as dual-channel DDR, know this: It's simply two DDR memory modules, packaged and marketed as a specialty product or a must-have "kit." If indeed you have a dual-channel platform and you want to take advantage of the performance gain it offers, our advice is to opt for high quality and service over expensive packaging, and simply purchase your DDR memory in pairs. However, be very careful to order two modules with the exact same specifications; the modules must be identical to each other to perform correctly.

GeForce 4 Titanium

help guys!

Oi dude...pareho tayo ng spec ng PC.

Ok yung HT ng Intel....yung OS ko (Win2K pro) will see 2 processors.

Para ka na ding naka-dual pro.

As for ur memory, ok yung pareho ng klase at speed. U should get 2 x 256.

Nasa BIOS lng yun disable/enable yung feature na yun.

extreme thanks for posting the Dual DDR explanation, that was my initial feel of what they meant when I first heard about it. to make it more simple, Dual DDR technology (w/c is in the Mobo not the ram) makes use of a program that enables the use of 2 pcs of memory modules w/ the same specs (i.e. 256 at 400MHz) and basically when it runs it, the MHz is doubled, so instead of having 512 at 400 MHz, you have 512 at 800MHz, which is why most Dual DDR capable boards have FSB at 800MHz. This is basically emulating the Rambus frequency.

matsutsu bro, so you already have this system? bibili pa lang ako actually w/c is why i was asking the opinion of the peeps here. maybe you can post performance differences that you experienced while using the set up. Yes, cool nga ang hyperthreading! pag up ng bios eh 2 CPU's are detected!

NOTE for the peeps who might be interested in using Dual DDR technology, only windows XP recognizes this so kailangan ang OS ninyo is XP or it wont work, that's what i've read anyways. goodluck!

from my opinion, AMD AThlon XP will give you the best bang for the buck. the T-Bred generation and Barton Generation doesn't heat up that much na. Just use the appropriate fan and it will work fine. the HT of P4 is useless and was proved to degrade performance since most programs run on single threads. however, HT will be useful if programs will be accustomed to it, which is not the case as of this time.

Suggestion lang, when u buy the processor, tell them not to include the fan(buy back value mga 100-200), then bili ka ng Thermaltake HSF, preferably made of copper.

yung Dual DDR, nvidia Nforce2 ang initiator nyan. then ginaya ng Intel.

The reason why dual ddr is because you need two sticks of the same type(64 Bit each), in Dual channel mode it adds up (128bit) making the processes faster.

about your HDD, mas ok maxtor coz of the 133MB/sec rate nila. (sila lang meron nun), if u can find the 8mb cache, better, (the 8mb cache of WD is slower than its 2mb) with maxtor, its the other way around.

try mong memory, Geil or Corsair. if u are lucky, get the TwinMos DDR333, its much faster and overclockable than its DDR400 variety (coz the JEDEC hasn't even appproved of this yet kaya wala pang standardization)

ASUS is a good brand but if u are after performance, go with Abit (imported lang to) or Gigabyte.

GForce4 Ti is good but ATI Radeon 9500 or 9600 is much much better ( i think on the same price range) kung may second hand na Radeon 9700, the better.

good luck.

jupiter thanks for the information, the thing is i'm a bit held down by being in saudi arabia, the people here selling pc's dont know jack s**t about what they're selling, as long there's an intel sticker on it, it must be good as far as they are concerned.

could you perhaps post pc specs here of what you think would be an ideal system, like what I posted. With the brand of the mobo (i.e Asus P4P 800 deluxe i 865Pe) coz there's lots of Abit mobo's and i'll have to point it out to the guy so I need to have the full name and specification of whatever i'm ordering or they might give me something crappy. what's the name of the maxtor HD you said had 333mb/sec rate? i'll remember twinmoss DDR333, is spektek a good enough memory module? yun kasi ang laging available dito eh. If you get the chance to put up the specs, please include an alternative just in case the first choice isnt available, thanks!

sure bro, no prob

AMD Athlon XP Tbred 2400+ (pag tinignan mo yung sticker nya, dapat ang umpisa "AXDA****" pag kabit sa Nforce2 Ultra board or KT600, unlocked na so you can overclock it to 2800XP+ no sweat.

if marami ka talaga cash to spend, bili ka na ng Barton (333Mhz FSB) pero 2500 lang bilhin mo para ma-overclock mo ng maganda.

since nasa Saudi ka, i assume malakas aircon mo, so ok lang talaga ang AMD. About sa fan, akala ko kasi nandito ka sa 'Pinas, but then tanong mo rin kung pwede rebate pag hindi mo sinama fan. dito kasi for an additional of 500, copper and Thermaltake TR2-m2 (Volcano 9 -11 ok din) fan ka na, na may expected lifetime of 50K-75K hours, mga 7yrs plus yun. pag may option, ask them to put Arctic Silver III(thermal paste) on the processor chip.

about sa Mobo,

ABIT NF7-S ver 2.0 Dual Channel, Nforce2 Ultra, soundstorm (ganda ng tunog nito, between Audigy and Audigy2 ang performance), Firewire etc

go to http://www.abit.com

Gigabyte 7NNXP Nforce2 Ultra, soundstorm, dual bios (best for overclocking), Dual DDR, USB2.0, SATA,

ASUS A7N8X De luxe version 2.0

yung ECS N2u400 ok din kahit mura lang kasi dual channel pa rin to. not recommended nga lang for overclocking.

yung maxtor ang model nun:

6Y080L0- 2mb cache memory (common)

6Y080P0- 8MB cache memory (mas ok) yung "P" ang sign na 8mb

yung TwinMos, ang palatandaan nun, WinBond yung tatak ng chips then may nakalagay na "BH-6" this can go up to 240Mhz (installed with memory cooling kit, of course) that like 480Mhz!

magkano ATI Radeon 9700 or 9500 jan? mas ok yun pre. DX9 compliant so lahat ng future games ok ang graphics, sa GF4 Ti, DX8.1 lang yun.

good luck.

jupiter thanks a lot bro, i havent fully read your post yet but i'm saving it and reading it at home so i could have more time to check things out. i've known about cooling fans and the like but i didnt know they were marketing the rigs i saw at thermaltake and artic, just checked out there site, ang galing!

Radeon hasnt really taken a foothold here at KSA, puro Geforce cards and the occassional all-in-wonder ng radeon so Geforce talaga ang choice at the moment. Prices are actually higher here kasi hindi kagaya sa pinas na ang daming competition and most items are available, dito eh talagang hahanapin mo pa tapos ang kausap mo eh yung hunghang na pinipilit sa iyo yung di mo gusto para lang maka benta sila, hmmp! buwiset talaga!

thanks, i'll post again tomorrow on my findings.

jupiter thanks for the information, the thing is i'm a bit held down by being in saudi arabia, the people here selling pc's dont know jack s**t about what they're selling, as long there's an intel sticker on it, it must be good as far as they are concerned.

could you perhaps post pc specs here of what you think would be an ideal system, like what I posted. With the brand of the mobo (i.e Asus P4P 800 deluxe i 865Pe) coz there's lots of Abit mobo's and i'll have to point it out to the guy so I need to have the full name and specification of whatever i'm ordering or they might give me something crappy. what's the name of the maxtor HD you said had 333mb/sec rate? i'll remember twinmoss DDR333, is spektek a good enough memory module? yun kasi ang laging available dito eh. If you get the chance to put up the specs, please include an alternative just in case the first choice isnt available, thanks!

I saw somewhere in a website (tomshardware.com or extremetech.com) na yung 2.8 ghz C intel (OC) ay comparable sa perf with 3.2 ghz.

yun ang binili ko kasi bihira lng ako bumili ng pc, every 3 yrs or so. (mahal kasi so i have to recover my investment)

since HT is new wala pang OS fully utilizes its features. Yung XP, Win NT at Win2K will see 2 CPU.

the application does not need to be aware that it's running on a pc with 2 processor. sa Windows, yung OS mo yung maghahandle ng interface between the application and the hardware. yung OS bahala mag-juggle ng mga tasks between 2 processors, therefore may performance gain.

yup, tama depende din sa application. kung yung program mo eh number crunching like finding for the biggest prime then may advantage yung dual pro. pero kung net surfing or chatting lng....walang computation so no strain sa CPU.

given that direction that intel started microsoft will likely to follow and fully support HT.

Vicaner:

nasa opis ako so I can't get the specs of my PC.

dude, when ur buying a PC, the only thing that restricts u is ur budget.

how much are you willing to spend for the fastest, greatest and baddest PC?

before I buy, I set my limit. think how much you are willing to spend for each component. let's say ur limit is 50K, then ito yung probably breakdown:

mobo - 10K

proc - 10K

video card - 5K

monitor - 10K

memory - 5K

misc - 10K

after you have set the limit for each component, then do ur research.

research on each component and then see if they will fit ur budget.

i-consider mo na din yung trip mo like gusto to mo ng HT so Intel na or kung gusto mo murang pro bili ka AMD para makabili ka ng magandang video card (Radeon 9700).

then adjust mo yung list mo, u can subtract 1K from mobo and 1K from monitor para makabili kaw ng video card na 7K.

once ur done with the list, u will get the best value for your budget.

recommended sites: www.tomshardware.com www.extremetech.com

:lol:

May tanong ako ... anong pinaka ok, Php vs Performance na motherboard for Athlon considering andame na bagong specs ngayon?

pag mobo ng Athlon, isa lang ang chipset na ok ngayon, Nvidia Nforce2. However, dalawang clase to:

nVidia Nforce2 400- single channel

nVidia Nforce2 Ultra 400- dual channel (mas ok)

dalawa rin ang southbridge nito:

MCP- walang soundstorm

MCP-T-may soundstorm

soundstorm is a must kung hindi ka pa bibili ng Audigy2. mas ok kasi ang sound performance ng Soundstorm to Audigy1.

so, the best board should have Nforce2 Ultra 400+MCP-T

kaso mahal na to. meron namang Nforce2 Ultra 400+MCP

You can try ECS N2U400-A Nforce2 Ultra, Dual Channel, Audio, USB 2.0 mga Php3200 lang to.

second Epox 8RDA3+ Nforce2 Ultra din.

pwede na rin ASUS A7N8X De luxe ver 2.0

the best tlaga is ABIT NF7-S ver 2.0(imported lang) or Gigabyte 7NNXP (12K last i checked)

mas ok performance nila kung gagamitin mong memory TwinMos DDR333 512MB x2 o kaya Geil or Corsair. wala nang ibang maganda, either not overclockable or madaling mamatay.

goodluck.