• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Trilogy! If there ever will be a third fight, make mine Mcgregor.

no disrespect but what for? I know it is entertaining and it rakes in the money but it is just that, entertainment. the sport side of it is lagging behind. if connor opting for the 3rd fight, that leaves the 145-lb belt in limbo and it will be up to aldo so defend the interim belt he holds, which means nothing in my opinion. I say he should go on with the unification fight with aldo so that other guys at 145 can finally have their crack at the title. that belt has been floating around for 2 years running. what if connor suffers an injury, which he did, as he was barely able to walk after the fight? will we wait for another 2 years for him to fight for his belt? He better let go of the championship and let him fight whoever he wants at whatever division.

BTW, I had Nate winning 3 rounds to 2 but it could have gone either way. Nate exposed flaws in Connor's gameplan. Connor obviously needs to finish guys in under 2 rounds or else he will gas out. His ground game in non-existent as seen in part 1 and that stupid coach should never have told him he is winning the clinch battles. I thought the fight was going to end by round 3. If round 5 was 10 seconds longer, Nate would have submitted him..... too long a tirade but as Nate said, "it's all good!"

UFC returns to Manila for Fight Night event in October

post-481684-0-60005500-1472047385_thumb.jpg

The UFC will make its second trip to Manila on October 15 when SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay, Manila, Philippines plays host to a UFC Fight Night card.

The UFC announced the event via a press release.

“We are very excited to be back in the Philippines,” Executive Vice President and General Manager of UFC Asia Kenneth Berger stated in the press release. “The consistently warm reception we receive from Filipino fans and last year’s sold out event shows us that UFC has an incredibly strong following in the country. Manila is a fighting city and we hope to put on another unforgettable show that will capture the hearts of Filipino sports fans throughout the country.”

The first time the octagon came to the Philippines was UFC Fight Night 66, which took place May 16, 2015. Mark Munoz won his final bout with an emotional decision victory over Luke Barnatt in the co-main event while Frankie Edgar beat Urijah Faber by decision in the night’s featured bout.

Broadcast details for the October card were not given in the press release, but UFC Fight Night 66 streamed live on UFC Fight Pass. Due to time zone differences, it is likely that will be the case again.

Edited by hahnz

BJ is one of my all time faves. In my opinion, if he had the motor, he would have beaten GSP. GSP can't stand and bang with BJ. GSP knew that BJ's weakness is his cardio that is why he was fond of pinning BJ against the cage to exhaust him.

Not GSP's fault though. It was well documented that during BJ's camp for part2, he spent a few days off training to be with his girlfriend for some festival of sorts. While Dana was busy promoting the event and GSP was busting his ass in the gym, Penn was busy partying. Not so smart when you know GSP is always ready to go 5 rounds.

BJ got away with sheer talent in the early part of his career (ask caol uno)but when the athletic types broke into the sport then talent can only get so much. But that is history, I bet he so over it now. I don't know what the UFC's motivation is with bringing him here. They brought Edgar and Faber last year, why not bring other ranked fighters here? I will be skipping this and watch it free on cignal. I am saving up foe U2.

Edited by startoffbeat

The point here is BJ's motor which is suspect. He has a weak motor or cardio. If he had the cardio, I don't see GSP beating him.

With or without cardio, I still pick GSP to win. We saw on 2 occassions that GSP can adjust faster to any situation that BJ put him in and then has masterfully imposed his own gameplan.

CM Punk: People are expecting Mickey Gall to knock me out

post-481684-0-35417800-1472749070_thumb.jpg

By Chisanga Malata /

Published 1st September 2016

CM PUNK is well aware of his critics thoughts on his upcoming fight.

Punk, real name Phil Brooks, will make his mixed martial arts debut at UFC 203 in nine days time.

The former WWE heavyweight champion's first professional fight will see him do battle with the inexperienced Mickey Gall.

Punk goes into his UFC debut with no amateur fights to his name and only a few years of MMA training under his belt.

The Chicago native's lack of experience has prompted many to tip Gall, 2-0, to run right through him.

And Punk is well aware of the little faith mixed martial arts observers have in him.

"I don’t know what the expectations are. I know what my expectations are," he told MMA Junkie.

post-481684-0-22695600-1472749099_thumb.jpg

"I know what my team and my coach – what they expect out of me. I think it depends on what corner of the media or the Internet you look at to see what the expectations are.

"People expect me to get knocked out. People expect me to get starched in 30 seconds. The people who see me work here every day expect me to win."

post-481684-0-24396100-1472749145_thumb.jpg

Punk is refusing to pay attention to his detractors and is determined to prove them wrong by coming out of his MMA debut victorious.

"My expectations are to win – go out there, whether it goes three rounds, whether it goes three seconds, that’s what I expect," he added.

"I expect to show up in the best shape of my life, happiest I’ve ever been, and happy looking in the mirror before the fight knowing: ‘Job well done.'"

Edited by hahnz

That is your opinion. If BJ had Cain's cardio, there is no way GSP would beat him. In their second fight, GSP tried to get him to the ground early because he knows that BJ has a weak cardio. Moreover, GSP put Vaseline on his back which made it slippery and made it hard for BJ to execute his jiujitsu.

Meh, BJ is not really known for cardio. Jens Pulver outlasted him because of that. The vaseline incident has already been cleared. If you watched the fight closely, it was one his coaches, Kru Phil Nurse, that put vaseline on GSP's back. If you watched it closer, you will the Red Suit guy from the Nevada Athletic Comm instructing Nurse to wipe off all excess vaseline from GSP's body which he willingfully obliged. Also, GSP is a master of fighting inside the full guard in which he totally nullified BJ's jiu jitsu. Both men were slippery with swear come 3rd round in which it will be very difficult to put on submission holds, even form a BJJ black belt like Penn. Penn also did very little to negate Georges' transition attempts. Multiple times in a single round GSP moved from inside the guard to half mount to side control with relative ease. Heck, even BJ says he does not remember what happened after the end of round 2.

I don't know about that but BJ's left leg kept on sliding off GSP's back when was trying to set up the triangle choke. I still hold on to my belief that GSP would not win against BJ if BJ had excellent cardio.

Like I said, GSP is a master of fighting inside the guard. Think Tito Ortiz with more athleticism. GSP is an expert of positioning and posture. Vaseline has little to do with BJ's legs slipping off GSP's huge torso.

Don't get me wrong, I love BJ Penn. I just don't like how he acted before and after the fight. He called out GSP after the Sean Seark fight. He climbed inside the cage when GSP beat Jon Fitch. Then he went partying in the middle of training camp. Then when he lost, he acted the fool by complaining to the UFC brass and bringing his mother to court about the alleged Vaseline on Georges' back.

Ubfortunately, 2 fights are already in the books with GSP winning both. BJ had his moment when he bloodied up Georges' face. He and his brothers were laughing hard when GSP was so dazed that he was going to sit on the wrong corner during the break. I must admit that I had a good laugh as well.

We can keep on speculating who will win if BJ had a huge gas tank. That tank better be full since St Pierre is always ready to fight 5 rounds. They can keep on fighting and I will keep picking GSP to win until BJ Penn will realize the prodigious talent can only get you so far.

I guess we would have to agree to disagree. I just don't see GSP beating BJ if BJ had excellent cardio. GSP didn't want to take Jake Shields down because he knew Jake Shields would submit him which is smart because Jake Shields does not have the elite striking of a BJ Penn. GSP knew that the only way he could beat BJ was by exhausting him. Master of the closed guard or not, BJ is a world class grappler and an excellent cardio would have made the difference.

That sir, is called fighting smart. You never play to your opponent's strength. Remember that GSP stood up with Condit, Diaz and Hendrix and his face got f*cked up on all 3 of those fights. I bet BJ would do the same thing to Georges if this damned Canadian was not too freaking smart. BJ will not need 2 rounds and a good cardio. The fight will end in between rounds as GSP is such a bleeder.

It should be noted that he stood up with Shields with his left eye blinded for 4 rounds. Shields threw that mean overhand but did not capitalize on the situation. Am I fanboying? Yes and no, I am just stating what I saw.

Both men are future hall of famers anyway. GSP is a class act and a good company mascot. He carried the UFC brand well during his time. BJ on the other hand showed everyone that it is not always about the money. This guy is wealthy but he just wanted to test himself he never picked the easy fights.

Most of the time, GSP took Condit to the ground. Condit had a golden chance to finish it off when he hit GSP with a head kick that sent GSP down. If he only went to the side and hammer-fisted the face of GSP, Condit would have finished him off.

Johny Hendricks won that fight. That decision was synonymous to the word "controversial".

Only Condit will know why he did not chase Georges when he was knocked down. Georges defended the jab-straight combo well and you can actually see the surprise on his face when Condit threw that weird-ass looking kick to the head.

As for Hendricks, you can refer back to the 1st Machida-Rua fight. Shogun f*cked up Lyoto's face but only won round 2 and 3. The rest of the fight was won by Lyoto with statistics and strikes landed(that did little damge). Had Hendrix brought the game harder on St. Pierre then he would have been champion. It is controversial because the judges knew better(note sarcasm). That is one of the issues of scoring a fight per round versus Pride where fights are judged in its entirety. I honestly will just take anyone who won the fight, even as a GSP fan.

GSP was lucky that BJ does not have excellent cardio. I agree with you that BJ is too dependent on his talent and sometimes does not train too hard like GSP. To add, BJ does not have the work ethic of GSP. BJ would win all things being equal, meaning BJ had the cardio and work ethic of GSP.

I would not call it luck, historically speaking, Penn never needed cardio as he finishes opponents early. So what happens if he goes to the later rounds? Jens Pulver, St. Pierre and Frankie Edgar(twice) knew what to do.

brandon vera.. magaling sya..

which big name fighter did he beat? if you look at his record. His last 2 UFC fights were losses. so he was let go from the promotion and he transferred to ONE FC. No disrespect to One FC but they're not exactly a big name promotion. Maybe in Singapore. The last 2 fights he had in One FC were agsint fighters the UFC wouldn't consider even signing.

He lost to MMA legends, Randy Couture, Shogun, Jon Jones, Fabricio Werdum. Majority of which were TKO's on punches.

He's average at best.

brandon vera.. magaling sya..

which big name fighter did he beat? if you look at his record. His last 2 UFC fights were losses. so he was let go from the promotion and he transferred to ONE FC. No disrespect to One FC but they're not exactly a big name promotion. Maybe in Singapore. The last 2 fights he had in One FC were agsint fighters the UFC wouldn't consider even signing.

He lost to MMA legends, Randy Couture, Shogun, Jon Jones, Fabricio Werdum. Majority of which were TKO's on punches.

He's average at best.

Relax, Vera did beat Frank Mir. Even Mir admits he lost to this guy who was not even supposed to be a heavyweight. In fairness to Mir, he had his battles outside the cage that he had to deal with.

Exactly my point. Edgar and GSP both have excellent cardio. BJ doesn't. Talent-wise, BJ trumps these two.

Honestly, even his talent fell short when he fought these two guys.