• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Fedor Emelianenko says he's closer than ever to signing with the UFC

post-481684-0-28193000-1466064862_thumb.jpg

Fedor Emelianenko to the UFC? Finally? It could happen in 2016, said the man himself.

Emelianenko told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour that he is closer than ever to signing a contract with the world's leading MMA promotion. And his next fight, after this weekend's bout under the Eurasia Fight Nights banner, could very well be in the Octagon.

"Yes," Emelianenko said through a translator. "In a word, yes. That possibility does exist."

Emelianenko will meet UFC veteran Fabio Maldonado at EFN 50 on Friday in St. Petersburg, Russia. The bout will air on UFC Fight Pass. After that, the MMA legend said he will be a free agent and ready to speak with any and all organizations. Emelianenko said he does have an offer on the table from the UFC.

"I always wanted to fight for UFC and I would fight for UFC, but at this moment we're looking at the deal and the deal has to satisfy both parties -- them and my organization," Emelianenko said. "Until there's no friction, until we are 100 percent in terms of seeing eye-to-eye, we are all basically in limbo."

Emelianenko, 39, and the UFC have negotiated multiple times, but it has never come together. There was even talks a few years ago about having Emelianenko face Brock Lesnar at Cowboys Stadium, but UFC president Dana White said Emelianenko passed on it after his father died.

Lesnar is now back in the UFC and fighting Mark Hunt at UFC 200. Emelianenko, though, said there has been no talk of that potential future matchup.

"All I wanted to say is for now we never received a proposal like that," Emelianenko said. "But if somebody were to make that proposal, we'll definitely look at it closely."

Emelianenko (35-4, 1 NC), a huge star in PRIDE and Strikeforce, went undefeated in MMA from 2000 to 2010, one of the greatest runs in the history of the sport. He is arguably the best heavyweight in MMA history and some would say he's the greatest pound-for-pound fighter of all time.

"The Last Emperor" dropped three straight to finish his Strikeforce career and then retired in 2012 after winning three in a row in Japan and Russia. Emelianenko returned to much buzz this past New Year's Eve under the Rizin Fighting Federation banner, defeating Indian kickboxing champion Jaideep Singh via first-round submission (punches). The Russian star said he felt like his old self in that bout.

"I did get that feeling," Emelianenko said. "I feel like I am back. A fighter is measured by the last fight. I'm looking forward to illustrate I am back in my usual form."

Kamil Gadzhiev, an EFN executive, appeared with Emelianenko on The MMA Hour. He said his promotion is planning on being at the negotiating table with Emelianenko after Friday. There will surely be others, too, like Bellator and Rizin.

After the bout with Maldonado, Emelianenko will be a free agent again. And once again, the MMA world will be waiting to find out whether or not a deal between the UFC and perhaps the greatest fighter ever to never have fought for the UFC can finally be hammered out.

"Right now, I'm much closer compared to when I just came back to MMA," Emelianenko said. ... "Yes, we did receive an offer. But there are some finer points that we wanted to discuss."

CM Punk announces his UFC debut will come against Mickey Gall at UFC 203

post-481684-0-71367500-1466687847_thumb.jpg

By Marc Raimondi

@marc_raimondi on Jun 23, 2016, 3:54a

The date for CM Punk's highly anticipated debut has been set.

CM Punk announced Thursday morning on the new UFC Unfiltered podcast that he will be facing Mickey Gall at UFC 203 on Sept. 10 in Cleveland. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani had previously reported that debuting at UFC 203 was the plan for Punk.

post-481684-0-66925500-1466687856_thumb.jpg

Punk broke the news officially to Unfiltered hosts Matt Serra and comedian Jim Norton. The former WWE star signed with the UFC in December 2014 to much buzz and most expected him to have fought by now, but a series of injuries sidelined him.

Punk, whose real name is Phil Brooks, said he was just cleared by doctors this week after a back injury put him on the shelf in February. He has been training for more than a year now at Roufusport in Milwaukee.

The Chicago native left WWE in early 2014 after butting heads with company execs. He stunned the pro-wrestling and MMA worlds later that year by announcing his signing with the UFC. Punk had no previous combat sports experience and very little martial arts training outside of some Brazilian jiu-jitsu with Rener Gracie and kenpo karate when he was younger.

Serra and Norton asked him for his motivation on the podcast. Many critics thought he would never go through with stepping in the Octagon, but now the date has been set. Punk was a former WWE champion and one of the biggest stars in sports entertainment.

"I think there's probably something seriously wrong with me," Punk said with a laugh. "Everyone is trying to figure out why I would want to do this. I'm a guy who gets bored easily and I have goals and there's things in life I enjoy. It's not about the destination; it's about the journey."

Gall (2-0) debuted in the UFC with a first-round submission victory over Mike Jackson in February. He was picked up after being discovered by UFC president Dana White and Serra on the "Lookin' for a Fight" show on UFC Fight Pass. Gall called out Punk while White and Serra were in the audience and White liked his style and personality.

Gall, 24, was told if he beat Jackson, he'd get his wish: a fight with CM Punk. And that's exactly what the New Jersey native did.

UFC 203 is headlined by a heavyweight title fight between champion Stipe Miocic and challenger Alistair Overeem. In the co-main event, former heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum meets Ben Rothwell.

It's unclear where on the card Punk vs. Gall will be, but it is likely to be featured on pay-per-view.

Rafael dos Anjos still open to having super-fight with Conor McGregor

post-481684-0-31494400-1466789985_thumb.jpg

UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos has revealed he's still open to fighting Conor McGregor.

By Chisanga Malata /

Published 24th June 2016

The Brazilian, 25-7, was scheduled to face his featherweight counterpart in a champion vs. champion bout at UFC 196 back in March.

However, a foot injury forced Dos Anjos out of the eagerly anticipated contest and denied McGregor the opportunity to become the first man in UFC history to simultaneously hold two titles in two different weight classes.

McGregor is allegedly still keen on a future bout with Dos Anjos, who will defend his 155-pound title against Eddie Alvarez at UFC Fight Night on July 7.

And the Brazilian has told McGregor that if he wants his title he's more than welcome to challenge him.

"No man, I'm fighting somebody who earned that. Eddie Alvarez has been in the game for so long and he earned the title shot and he's the next guy in line," he told TMZ when asked if he was disappointed to not be facing a big name like McGregor.

"But if one day down the road Conor deserves it (I'll fight him). If he wants my belt I'm here. I'm the champion. I'm the lightweight champion he's the featherweight champion. I can't make featherweight, I need to cut my leg off.

"But, he's the one who wants to have two belts. So if he wants to have one more belt I'm here, he's welcome (to challenge me) anytime."

Michael Bisping on Georges St-Pierre fight: 'If he wants to get knocked out, I'm in'

The new middleweight champ says he 'loves' GSP, but won't have a problem putting him to sleep, if they should fight.

By Elias Cepeda @EliasCepeda

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:10p ET

post-481684-0-26595000-1466790293_thumb.jpg

Michael Bisping has implied, strongly, that members of former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre's team have reached out to his team and started discussions about "Rush" taking on the new middleweight champ in a UFC comeback fight. "The Count" is alright with that idea.

The Brit recently told Gareth Davies that he has a great deal of affection for the retired champion as a fighter, professional and big draw. "I loves Georges St-Pierre," he said.

"He's an incredible fighter. He's a legend of the sport -- the biggest pay-per-view draw that there was for a long time, the consummate professional. Georges is amazing."

With all that said, Bisping wouldn't mind knocking GSP's block off. "But, if he wants to get knocked out, I'm in," he said, with confidence.

post-481684-0-31773000-1466790302_thumb.jpg

We've already taken a look at this potential dream fight. Both men continue to seem eager for this mega-bout, and we will keep you posted with updates as they become available.

i can't believe people actually bought tickets for this f-uckin nonsense. i was watching the first 30 seconds of this so called sanctioned fight between two guys who haven't fought professionally at all then i turned it off. i get a kick more from watching the backyard brawls of Kimbo Slice than be subjected to this poorly executed circus.

to be honest the idiot ref should have stopped the fight because the Geisler guy was on his back being grounded and pounded above by Matos, he looked like he wasn't even defending intelligently. SMH

can we move on to the upcoming REAL fights instead of this nonsense