• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Hunt won by first round KO.

I feel that it was a premature stoppage, Mir's legs gave out yes, but his instincts are still there he looked that he was preparing his guard or he is preparing for Hunt to follow him on the ground. I could be wrong, Mark Goddard is a good referree and he may have seen something I could not.

Rashad Evans predicts Daniel Cormier will beat Jon Jones at UFC 197

Rashad Evans sees an upset brewing at UFC 197 with Daniel Cormier handing Jon Jones his first legitimate defeat.
post-481684-0-02793400-1458620451_thumb.jpg

Rashad Evans knows Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones better than most so he has an educated take on the upcoming rematch between the two light heavyweights set for UFC 197 on April 23.

While Cormier currently holds the title at 205 pounds, he will enter the rematch with Jones as a decided underdog after losing to the former champion by unanimous decision in early 2015.

Much of the world believes the second fight with Jones and Cormier will ultimately end the same as the first, but don't count Evans among those people.

"I am going to go on record and I'm going to go with the upset on this one -- I'm going to go with DC," Evans told FOX Sports while picking Cormier for the win. "For some reason I just feel like DC's going to get this fight. I just feel like he is."

There are several reasons why Evans is going with Cormier in the upset over Jones, but at the top of the list were his recent wins over Anthony Johnson and Alexander Gustafsson.

Evans trains with Johnson on a daily basis so he knows first hand how tough it is to deal with him but he says watching Cormier gut out a hard fought win over Gustafsson this past October was ultra impressive and enough to convince him that he could beat Jones in a rematch.

"I do see a way that DC beats Jon," Evans explained. "I think the pace DC fought in his last fight, coupled with a few things that he could do better as far as when he takes a guy down and being heavy on top, making sure that they carry his weight when they get back up because that exhausts the guys. That way he's not spending energy.

"I felt like DC did a hell of a fight that fight (against Alexander Gustafsson), fought a really good pace, but a lot of times during that fight he really made it 50/50 as far as the effort he's putting in versus the effort his opponent is putting in. I felt like where his opponent was using 70-percent of his energy and he was only using 40-percent, I feel like he really would have been able to dominate Gustafsson in a way that Jon wasn't able to."

post-481684-0-44613200-1458620487_thumb.jpg

Jones beat Gustafsson in a razor-thin decision in a bout that's largely considered one of the greatest light heavyweight fights of all time. Cormier also eked past Gustafsson during their fight at UFC 192 but Evans was blown away by how much the former two-time Olympian had improved since falling to Jones just nine months earlier.

Evans also questions the long layoff that Jones has dealt with over the past year while facing a suspension when he was involved in a hit and run accident in New Mexico that cost him the UFC light heavyweight title.

Jones was reinstated this past October, but by the time he faces Cormier for a second time he will have been out of action for nearly 16 months and that kind of ring rust can hinder even the best fighters in the world.

"I think that DC now is a better DC than the first time that Jon fought him. Also I think the layoff is not easy to come back from and Jon's never really had to face this. Jon's never really faced this layoff. So mentally going into the fight, there's some things different. There's some things different as far as USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) thing, and it just has a different feel," Evans said.

"(Jones) has only been gone a year but things just change so fast and it's hard to say what Jon is going to step into the cage. We've only seen one -- the brave, audacious, amazing Jon Jones. We've never seen a Jon Jones that had to really contemplate any kind of technique, any kind of move, will he return and be that same free flowing fighter that's made him one of the greatest fighters in UFC history?"

It all adds up to a win for Cormier according to Evans, who believes that it's finally his time to conquer Jones and solidify his spot as the best light heavyweight in the world.

"Mentally, coming into this fight, I think (Cormier) is in a different place. I'm a huge Jon Jones fan as far as his talent and everything in the Octagon, but I just worry that Jon under this new mindset, this new Jon Jones, is he going to still be able to go out there and do the things that we've seen him do so easily?" Evans questioned. "At some point, people do start to show that they are human and things do affect them so I wonder what's the real outcome to how he's internalizing everything that's happened in his personal life?

"I do believe he's so dynamic, but will he return as that same dynamic fighter that we've come to know?"

Evans also took time to clarify a recent comment he made where he mentioned that if Cormier did fall to Jones in the rematch that he should consider retirement.

post-481684-0-10207300-1458620560_thumb.jpg

In reality, Evans was speaking more to Cormier's obsession with being the best in the world whether it's wrestling or fighting and if he's no longer going to be in the running for a championship in the UFC, he just doesn't see him moving forward any longer.

"What I was really trying to say with that whole 'DC retiring' is the fact that I've known DC for years. I knew DC before he even put on any MMA gloves or anything like that. I just know competitively speaking, if DC isn't fighting for the gold, DC won't do it," Evans said.

"He's already had such a long career when it comes to wrestling that he's not just going fight if he's not going to have another chance to fight Jon Jones. That's what I meant by that."

Cormier will have his chance to prove Evans right when he meets Jones in the main event at UFC 197 on April 23 in Las Vegas.

UFC owner teases 'epic, massive' event for debut in New York

Lorenzo Fertitta reveals the UFC's plans for New York in 2016 now that the sport has been legalized there for the first time in nearly 20 years.

post-481684-0-21127900-1458708898_thumb.jpg

Following the historic vote that legalized mixed martial arts in New York, UFC officials immediately started plans for events that will be held in the Empire State by the end of 2016.

According to UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta, the promotion will obviously target at least one massive event for the launch in New York with potentially a second show taking place there before the year is over.

"We're hoping that (Governor Andrew Cuomo) will sign the bill in fairly short order here. Once that happens the New York State Athletic Commission will have to promulgate rules, adopt rules and regulations and we are hopeful that we'll be holding one, possibly two events, before the end of the year here in 2016," Fertitta said during a media conference call on Tuesday.

"The minute that the vote passed, our teams started calling various arenas and looking at what dates are available. Obviously as I mentioned before, we don't to put the cart before the horse, the governor still has to sign the bill, the athletic commission needs to adopt the rules, promulgate regulations, 120 days from when the governor signs the bill before we could hold an event. So we're hopeful that we'll be able to get at least two in by the end of the year."

Fertitta said that the UFC obviously has plans to put the first big event in New York at the world famous Madison Square Garden in Manhattan but he can't guarantee anything until the bill is signed into law and they can begin securing dates and venues.

Ferttita also mentioned the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, as another destination the UFC holds in very high regard and as a possible landing spot for a landmark event. The UFC will also plan events in many other cities around New York, including Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester and even Utica.

"Our first major event, we expect to be at Madison Square Garden. I'll tell you one thing, they've been incredible supporters of the MMA bill from day one," Fertitta said.

"We anticipate the first major event will be at Madison Square Garden. We haven't signed any contracts, we don't have any exact dates held, we are talking to them about some potential weekends."

Fertitta stressed that no dates would be locked down until the MMA bill to legalize New York is signed into law and the state commission finalizes the rule set for New York. The commission has 120 days from the day the bill is signed into law to finalize those rules and regulations and then MMA can begin in New York.

The one thing Fertitta could guarantee is that when the UFC finally books their first major card, the promotion and the magnitude will be off the charts.

"I think it's going to be an epic moment for the sport and for our company," Fertitta said. "Obviously, right now all of our focus is on trying to put together the matches for UFC 200, but when we go to New York and we eventually debut at Madison Square Garden, me and Dana (White) and the rest of the team are going to be very focused on delivering for the fans. We're going to put together the best available matches that we can. You'd have the biggest names that we can possibly put on, the biggest names that are available at the time. Believe me, we want to knock it out of the park and we want to deliver to New York in a big way.

"It's going to be massive and when you do massive events it takes time, it takes runway, it's going to be a tremendous amount of promotion, a ton of marketing assets, we're going to have to book the fights that make sense for there, it's going to be big. I think the fourth quarter is a good target for us. A realistic target for us."

• Like (+1) 1

With UFC debut coming at 'right time,' Cris 'Cyborg' eyes fights with Tate, Rousey, Holm

post-481684-0-70000500-1459379032_thumb.jpg

To steal one of the UFC’s promotional phrases, the time is now for Cristiane Justino to make her octagon debut.

For “Cyborg,” finally getting the chance to compete under the UFC banner isn’t a case of better late than never. It’s happening at the exact right moment, Justino (15-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) said, and she will look to prove that statement against Leslie Smith (8-6-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) at UFC 198.

“I don’t think it was soon or late, I think it was at the right time,” Justino told reporters at today’s UFC 198 news conference. “I think everything that I went through in my career (is) going to culminate in this UFC in Curitiba and UFC 198. I’ve prepared very well and I want to put on a great fight for everyone and bring a great knockout for Brazil.”

UFC 198 takes place May 14 at Arena da Baixada in Curitiba, Parana, Brazil, and the main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Justino, who is the current Invicta FC women’s featherweight champion, meets Smith in a 140-pound catchweight bout in her hometown of Curitiba. The option of Justino fighting in the UFC has long been discussed, but for one reason or another terms could never be settled on.

A fight with former UFC champion Ronda Rousey was repeatedly teased over the years. However, Rousey and UFC boss Dana White’s insistence she had to fight at 135 pounds prevented anything from coming to reality.

With Rousey no longer holding the UFC women’s bantamweight belt and the division more or less blown wide open after Miesha Tate took the title from Holly Holm at UFC 196 earlier this month, it opened the door for Justino to get a fight – even if it wasn’t in the bantamweight division.

For now, it seems the UFC 198 showdown with Smith is a one-off and doesn’t indicate a permanent move. Justino said she intends to hold and defend her Invicta FC title for as long as possible, however, the chance to compete at an event as significant as UFC 198 was something she couldn’t pass up.

“I’m going to continue in my division; I’m going to continue holding my belt,” Justino said. “I think it’s what people want to see. It’s a great opportunity at UFC 198, and I want to have a great fight. After this fight, I think the doors are going to open for a lot of things. That’s it. I want to keep fighting in my division.”

White said Smith was the “only one” willing to accept the fight, which Justino said she’s grateful for, even if others have refuted his statement. “Cyborg” is undefeated over her past 15 fights and has won 13 of those contests by knockout. She plans to add Smith to her list of victims and afterward will turn her attention to bigger targets.

“(Smith) chose to fight – she accepted to fight me,” Justino said. “I think a lot of them would not do the same. I’m thankful for the opportunity to fight her, and obviously after this fight I want to fight Ronda, I want to fight Holly, I want to fight Miesha.

“We’re going to talk to the boss, Dana White, (and UFC Senior VP and GM of Brazil) Giovanni (Decker) to give me that opportunity and I hope they can take it to fight at this weight. Not just talk about it, actually accept it.”

In this ESPN interview, Dana White explains that it was Mcgregor who requested or asked to fight Diaz, even though Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta said that he should defend the FW title. I guess the Diaz loss really got to him and he wants to get him back since he felt he should have won the fight. Dana also mentioned that if he fights Diaz, he should fight at 155. But again, Mcgregor said no, he wants to fight him at 170. I'm guessing he actually feels great at that fighting weight. He definitely had more definition than when he fought at 145.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJmV95gVWew

Jon Jones ordered to attend anger management class

Former UFC champion Jon Jones appeared before a judge in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Thursday and was ordered to enlist in a driver improvement course, anger management class and 60 hours of community service.

The Bernalillo District Attorney's Office also requested Jones be placed under curfew, however Jones' defense successfully argued against it. According to a court spokesperson, Jones was released from a local detention center Thursday.

Jones, 28, was arrested Tuesday for violating probation. He is currently serving an 18-month supervised probation sentence, which stems from a felony hit-and-run charge for which he entered into a plea agreement last year. In February, Jones was pulled over and received citations for driving without a license, registration or proof of insurance. Those citations did not trigger a violation of his probation, but last week, Jones was pulled over again in downtown Albuquerque and issued a ticket for drag racing.

Jones, who is originally from New York, has adamantly denied he was drag racing, saying he simply revved the engine of his white Corvette to acknowledge a nearby fan. Footage released by the Albuquerque Police Department shows Jones arguing with the officer who pulled him over, at one point calling him "a f---ing liar." Jones has since apologized for those comments but maintains his innocence.

Although Judge Michael Martinez ruled against enforcing a curfew on Jones, he did order the fighter to not drive a vehicle without approval from his probation officer. The judge placed no travel restrictions on Jones as a condition of release, meaning he should be free to travel to Las Vegas for a scheduled title fight against Daniel Cormier at UFC 197 on April 23.

Before Jones left the courtroom, Martinez stated to Jones, "If you do come back, it won't go well."

Despite the potential distraction of the recent events, Jones remains focused on the April 23 title fight, according to a prepared statement from his representatives at EAG Sports Management.

"Jon is focused on the fight, and we are focused on the traffic charges that were brought against him," the statement read. "We are confident that those charges will be dismissed because they are baseless.

"More importantly, however, Jon has done extremely well while he's been under supervision. He has been sober for more than 6 months, and he has completed more than 100 hours of community service, working with those most at need in New Mexico: our youth."

The UFC said later that Jones' title fight is still on.

"The organization was disappointed to learn that Jones was cited for several traffic offenses last week, as well as concerned by the nature and tone of portions of the conversation between Jones and the citing officer," the UFC said in a statement. "Still, UFC respects Jones' right to contest those traffic citations in court and receive a fair hearing on the matter. Jones' scheduled bout on April 23 will proceed as planned, however, Jones understands that the UFC expects him to fully cooperate with the terms of his probation as set forth by Judge Martinez."

Last April, Jones became the first champion in UFC history to be stripped of his title for disciplinary reasons, after he fled the scene of a three-car accident that left a pregnant woman injured. At a news conference earlier this month, Jones said he was sober for the first time in his athletic career. His defense made mention of that during court proceedings on Thursday as well.

Putting an interim belt at featherweight would allow UFC to explore setting up a fight between Mcgregor and GSP at MSG (If Mcgregor wins against Diaz). If Mcgregor loses to Diaz,MSG is still open for Mcgregor v Edgar (if edgar wins against Aldo). Both options will sell big in NY given the Irish ethnics in NY and Canada and New Jersey around the border. Mcgregot v Aldo 2 would still sell but not as big as a GSP or an Edgar fight.

Poor Edgar, he deserves that FW championship match after he whooped mini Mendez. McGregor will get his ass whooped again in UFC 200. The L from Nate definitely hurt his ego. He overrated himself to the point that he thinks that he is unstoppable. Now he wants to get the W from Nate even though he is easily gassed, cant take a punch from a heavier guy and no ground game. He cannot overcome this adversity.