• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Yes true. The thing that sets a Brock Lesnar apart though is that the guy actually had a 'real' combative sport background (which was wrestling of course) even before he did the 'fake' stuff. So it depends really on the background and perhaps just how fast a learner a particular athlete is. collegiate wrestlers, judokas, former boxers and kickboxers already have one aspect of the MMA down that they simply need to learn pieces of the other parts of the MMA puzzle. Former pro football players and bodybuilders might have a chance but need a heck of a lot of work though.

The first time brock fought and submit hos oponent i thought he just got lucky, then he fought frank mir and I thought he did a good job controlling frank but did what I expected him to do.. Give up his leg/arm for nd submit. I thought he will never be back and cant stand the real pressure on MMA. But Brock has proven that he got what it takes to be an MMA fighter, hell great MMa fighter. Laki na ng talo ko kay brock, at hanggang ngayon di parin ako pupusta sa kanya, Cain velasquez ako pupusta. Kung makaka lusot siya kay Cain, Im pretty sure pababagsakin na siya ni junior Dos Santos!!!!

Brock Lesnar is a former NCAA Division 1 National Champion and All American. Definitely an elite level wrestler. And we all know what Joe Rogan himself says about which martial art background seems to be best in transitioning to MMA. Forgive me for being biased but in the US at least it is the high level wrestlers who have adapted the best to MMA. It seems the grit and conditioning of these high level wrestlers translate well into learning other arts such as BJJ, boxing and muay thai.

In our country though this is just starting to happen. Noel Norada's dominating victory during the last URCC proved that point. Another of our elite wrestlers, SEA Games medalist in Greco Roman Roel Pacional will be making his MMA debut at this year's Rogue Magazine Black Tie Brawl. I will surely be anticipating how this will turn out.

wow edgar does it again. it was just like their first fight except he did much better this time around.

maynard is next in line for a title shot and i duno how edgar's gonna stop the maynard takedown. bj isn't known for his takedowns and he got edgar down pretty easily whenever he tried.

i smell a new champ in the lightweight division.

Guest hastati

wow edgar does it again. it was just like their first fight except he did much better this time around.

maynard is next in line for a title shot and i duno how edgar's gonna stop the maynard takedown. bj isn't known for his takedowns and he got edgar down pretty easily whenever he tried.

i smell a new champ in the lightweight division.

I agree that Frankie is gonna have a difficult time avoiding the take-downs of Maynard. But then again Edgar showed that he is an elite wrestler by wiggling out of that situation wherein BJ had his back and could have appplied the rear naked choke. Maynard vs. Edgar 2 would be a dandy. Maynard, meanwhile, grinded Florian to the ground.

FreakShow! Easy lng tayo dyan Sir... medyo biased tayo when it comes to Orgs!

I remember when everybody laughed at Brock Lesnar when he started his MMA Career, now He's UFC HW Champion everybody's riding his bandwagon!

Anybody can fight But it takes real people to step inside the ring or cage!!! :rolleyes:

Here is my take on this one, Brock is a former Division 1 National Champ. He at least have combat experience under his belt even if that was back in his college days.

Lashley - Division 2 wrestler - Big difference from Division 1

Conseco - Former baseball player - Hong Man Choi showed him what's up in MMA.

Walker - Former football player - When he faced a legit MMA fighter, he will fall as well

Batista - Former WWE star - also former bouncer

3 out of 4 has no combat experience. My point is if you are gonna put someone on TV (especially SF has a TV deal), put someone who will best represent the sports. MMA is a growing sports and putting these guys on TV just shows a bad representation.

Parang dito lang yan sa Pinas, lets say sa URCC, most guys have been training their ass off for a spot on that show. What if some showbiz personality wanted to fight there and gets the spot because of his fame and not for his skills. Imagine what the other fighters would feel.

Parang dito lang yan sa Pinas, lets say sa URCC, most guys have been training their ass off for a spot on that show. What if some showbiz personality wanted to fight there and gets the spot because of his fame and not for his skills. Imagine what the other fighters would feel.

Amen to that. Some showbiz personalities have had a chance to step in the ring here in the local scene. I remember TJ Trinidad facing off against Deftac BJJ Bluebelt Carl Rodriguez in one of the amateur promotions.

As for Bobby Lashley well Division 2 and Division 3 Wrestlers do have a legitimate shot at glory when they throw their hats into the MMA ring (Shane Carwin is actually a D3 standout as someone here had pointed out), the thing is though some people are just for wrestling, some are for BJJ, some are just meant to compete in muay thai etc. etc. It takes not only a special athlete but a special grit and determination to succeed as an MMA fighter.

Great night for wrestlers overall this recently concluded UFC. Good old Randy, then Maynard and of course Frankie Edgar. Styles make fights it really is just that Frankie Edgar's style is a terrible style for BJ to fight against as Joe Rogan pointed out he has never been in the octagon with anyone who had a speed advantage over him and this was the puzzle of Edgar that he has now failed to solve twice now. Now that we have Maynard and Edgar about to fight it out again this will hold true... Maynard's already got a win over Frankie Edgar and it is exactly again due to the fact that Maynard's nullifying style of fighting is a terrible style for Frankie Edgar to fight against. It will be interesting to see what adjustments he makes and what effect the so-called 'championship' rounds will have on the outcome of that fight.