• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

i was talking from a PURE WRESTLING standpoint in the case of carwin and lesnar. it's definitely possible for an upset to occur (as i mentioned in my previous post) but also very unlikely to happen. your examples are good with regards to MMA, but my previous post had NOTHING to do with MMA. it was solely based on div1/div2 wrestling and the skill difference between the 2 divisions.

so being consistent with my previous post and referencing your mma examples of lower belts submitting higher belts, i'm going to put money on the black belt over the purple belt every time in a PURE BJJ grappling match.

MMA of course is a different story altogether as there are many more variables/factors to consider.

If we're talking on purist standpoints then yes, brock has the advantage...

but since we're on the topic of mma ( since the topic is MMA) then its a totally different story....

let me just add a couple of more thoughts to this little wrestling in MMA discussion we're having here:

1) let us remember that when these guys got their NCAA titles they were basically training under their school's respective athletic programs.

We can only speculate that since moving into and making a career out of competing in MMA (more specifically MMA at the UFC level) they have only gotten better due to being adopted by really really good teams like AKA or ATT, Xtreme Couture and the like. So they have better training partners. They have better nutrition. They have better training overall... so that would make all their skills (their wrestling included) a heck of a lot better. Of course the level of improvement in each skill set is of course different from fighter to fighter.

2) Sometimes wrestling pedigree doesn't really decide who is the better wrestler in an MMA match.

Some of the best wrestlers in MMA never even competed in the NCAA, well some like Jon Bones Jones are Junior College Champs and some never even had a wrestling pedigree at all to begin with before even entering MMA. The most famous one of course being George Rush St Pierre, who never competed in wrestling in high school, or college but learned it while trying to improve his overall MMA game. He's gotten so good with his wrestling he has been asked to be part of his country's olympic wrestling team.

According to Yahoo Sports, Anderson Silva signed a new 8-fight deal with UFC..

Also, from the report, A.Silva mentioned that he has plan to fight 2 of those 8 in WW division..

My take on this, if GSP wont go up in weight class, Anderson will go down for the super fight to happen..

Two fights, Fitch and GSP? Maybe Shields (it's almost certain he will sign with UFC unless something really big happens with SF) after his fight with Hendo..

Edited by G_sKiLLz
According to Yahoo Sports, Anderson Silva signed a new 8-fight deal with UFC..

Also, from the report, A.Silva mentioned that he has plan to fight 2 of those 8 in WW division..

My take on this, if GSP wont go up in weight class, Anderson will go down for the super fight to happen..

Two fights, Fitch and GSP? Maybe Shields (it's almost certain he will sign with UFC unless something really big happens with SF) after his fight with Hendo..

wow i can't believe this. silva moving down to WW?! i'm just really skeptical of such a move. silva is a fairly large middleweight. i heard he walks around 220+ which is why him fighting at LHW twice seemed quite logical. but him moving down to WW?? very questionable imho.

could you link the actual article from yahoo sports?? i tried searching it but got nothing.

Well as much as I know BJ will probabbly win. My heart goes with Frankie Edgar on this one.

well I personally think it will be BJ's most competitive title defense so far seeing as how good Edgar's boxing is.

It would be interesting though if perhaps he could somehow take BJ down. that'll definitely change the complexion of the fight

into his favor a lil bit. But since GSP no one has ever really done it, so he probably won't be able to but i'm trying to be hopeful that perhaps he can pull it off.

Edited by geneticfreak