Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Demian Maia vs Nate Marquardt UFC 102 fight set for Aug. 29

Middleweight standouts, Nate Marquardt (28-8-2) and Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Demian Maia (10-0), are set to collide at UFC 102 from The Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon, on August 29, according to Maia’s official site.

Marquardt is coming off a big win over Wilson Gouveia (12-5) at UFC 95, finishing the bout in the third round via technical knockout with a thrilling combination that looked like it had been lifted from a video game.

It was impressive to say the least.

Before that he demolished Martin Kampmann, beating him at his own game (the stand up) and forcing the Dane to rethink his career at 185 pounds and make the drop to welterweight.

Maia has been impressive in his own right as of late, too.

He has remained undefeated throughout his professional mixed martial arts career, winning five straight bouts inside the Octagon and earning four “submission of the night” bonuses during that span. His list of victims includes submission victories over the likes of Chael Sonnen (21-10-1), Nate Quarry (11-3) and Jason McDonald (21-12), among others.

It’s safe to say Marquardt will do best to avoid going to the ground if possible against Maia.

With a win here both fighters would have a good case to argue for a title shot against 185-pound kingpin Anderson Silva (24-4). However, they may have to get in line and wait behind the winner of Dan Henderson (24-7) vs. Michal Bisping (18-1) — the two coaches from The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) are set to square off at UFC 100 on July 11.

UFC 102 is expected to feature a main event between Randy “The Natural” Couture locking horns with Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira in a dream match-up that most fans expected to see before Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir played spoiler roles in the opening round of the mini heavyweight tournament created in late 2008 to crown an undisputed division champion.

Also slated for the main card is perennial light heavyweight contender Keith Jardine (14-5-1) who has been tapped to replace Forrest Griffin in a 205-pound slugfest against hard-hitting Brazilian import Thiago Silva (13-1).

UFC 102: Keith Jardine to replace Forrest Griffin against Thiago Silva on August 29

Perennial light heavyweight contender Keith Jardine (14-5-1) has been tapped to replace Forrest Griffin in a 205-pound slugfest against hard-hitting Brazilian import Thiago Silva (13-1) at UFC 102 from The Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon, on August 29, MMAmania.com has learned.

Griffin and Silva were originally set to hook ‘em up at UFC 101 in Philadelphia on August 8 — until the bat phone rang in Joe Silva’s office and demanded that Anderson Silva redeem himself for consecutive stand-and-bland performances at UFC 90 and 97.

Thiago was temporarily left without a date for the prom, but the UFC made good on their swap by pitting him against the “Dean of Mean,” as well as a few extra weeks to prepare for his new foe.

Despite dropping a close unanimous decision to former light heavyweight champ Quinton Jackson at UFC 96, the Greg Jackson-disciple has done his share to be atop the 205-pound ladder, putting together a solid record of (6-4) during his time in the Octagon. His resume is highlighted with wins over some of the top names in the sport such as Forrest Griffin, Chuck Liddell, Brandon Vera and others.

His next appearance at UFC 102 will continue his (mis?)fortune of drawing dangerous opponents.

Silva has made a habit of demolishing his challengers. Before getting stopped at UFC 94 “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2″ by uber-enigma Lyoto Machida on January 31, Silva had finished 12 of his 13 fights, including 10 (T)KO’s.

Scary stuff.

Silva brings the fierce Chute Boxe aggression into his fights (even though he is now no longer with the camp). He has an explosive mix of punches and kicks, which can often leave him open to counter strikes.

However, Silva has proven that he can take punishment and dish out more … just ask Tomasz Drwal, Houston Alexander and Antonio Mendes.

UFC 102 is expected to feature a main event between Randy “The Natural” Couture as he locks horns with Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira in a dream match-up that most fans expected to see at UFC 98 on May 23 before Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir played spoiler roles in the opening round of the mini heavyweight tournament created in late 2008 to crown an undisputed division champion.

Jardine, Silva, Couture and Nogueira. UFC 102 is beginning to shape up quite nicely — and we’re still four months away.

May nakapanood ba dito ng Ultimate Strikers, which was held in MOA last April 26? One of my trainers, Manny "Cobra", was a participant. TIA.

I WAS THERE! Manny "Cobra"? Dunno... hindi ko kasi natapos eh! Anu gym sya? But I was impressed with the fighters who came from Davao! Think all of them won! Takenote sponsored sila ni Mayor Duterte thats why they were able to flew in to Manila just to fight! And they all won! Galing! :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by maddromeo
I WAS THERE! Manny "Cobra"? Dunno... hindi ko kasi natapos eh! Anu gym sya? But I was impressed with the fighters who came from Davao! Think all of them won! Takenote sponsored sila ni Mayor Duterte thats why they were able to flew in to Manila just to fight! And they all won! Galing! :thumbsupsmiley:

Manny "Cobra" Silvano. Sa Power Punch gym sya nagtuturo.

Hindi ko nakita... maybe I missed Him! I left nung last two fights na eh.

Sir baka nga Davo Death Squad training Team yun! Hehe... Muay Thai rin ila but I saw something on their jacket na "Soh Bak Do" ata yun?! Di ko sure! Hehe... :hypocritesmiley:

Hindi ko nakita... maybe I missed Him! I left nung last two fights na eh.

Sir baka nga Davo Death Squad training Team yun! Hehe... Muay Thai rin ila but I saw something on their jacket na "Soh Bak Do" ata yun?! Di ko sure! Hehe... :hypocritesmiley:

pre, sa saturday na laban. tumuloy na rin ako kahit sobrang tight ng sked ko, bawi na lang sa hangin and technique. goodluck na lang.

MY FAVORITE FIGHTERS

Filipino Fighters - Brandon Vera, Felix Nover, Mark Munoz

American Fighters - Dan Henderson, Frankie Edgar, Frank Mir, Rashard Evans

Russian Fighters (or any fighter from the former Soviet Union) - Fedor Emilianenko and Andrei Arlovski

Brazillian Fighters - Mauricio Shogun Rua and Lyoto Machida, The Gracies (actually isa lang sa kanila, si Rickson Gracie)

Canadian Fighters - GSP and Dennis Kang.

32 pa lang naman. si silva 34.

Yup! Mas matanda si A. Silva kaysa kay Vitor Belfort! You thought he's old because when he debuted in the UFC he was only 18 yrs. old! Kaya nga "Phenom"! He was knockin older and bigger opponents back then! :hypocritesmiley:

Ganun ba wala na kc ako balita sa belport na yan kaya akala ko matanda na... really Im baffled on why his sisters was kidnapped and never found...

May nakapanood ba dito ng Ultimate Strikers, which was held in MOA last April 26? One of my trainers, Manny "Cobra", was a participant. TIA.

mukhang kilala kita chief...power punch don antonio ka ba?

pre, sa saturday na laban. tumuloy na rin ako kahit sobrang tight ng sked ko, bawi na lang sa hangin and technique. goodluck na lang.

Ok lang yan! Punta kba sa weigh-ins sa Friday?! Almost pasok nako a weight limit ko eh!? Hehe... GoodLuck! :thumbsupsmiley:

pareng madremeo goodluck sa tournament bro

wala pa din balita tungkol sa Pan Asians ah..

paging boss geneticfreak nanalo po ba kayo sa Pan Asians? ^_^

Hey guys what's up.

Results of the Recent Pan Asian Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grappling Championships area already posted at www.bjj-asia.com I also posted them under the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Thread under the Hobbies section. http://manilatonight.com/index.php?showtop...0&start=140

Event was once again graced by bjj fighters and grapplers from different parts of Asia.

The highlight of the event was a blackbelt match between brazilian Marcos Escobar, owner and head Instructor of Checkmat/Escobar BJJ in Malaysia and Jason Bukich from Taiwan BJJ. The blackbelts went at it twice with Bukich winning both times. Great Display of mad BJJ Skill. Bukich was also voted Most Technical Fighter. Here's a vid of the fight posted on youtube:

As for the Davao Boys... Mukhang may malaking contingent talaga yung Davao and they were here not just for the UKC but some of them also fought during the Pan Asians. Philippine Judo Team Member Paolo Tancontian brought some of his boys to play during the gi event and the Cenojas Brothers (coaches of Cenojas Mixed Martial Arts or CMMA, the most well known MMA team in Davao) and one of their more famous team members Jubert 'Pitbull' Menguito joined and were successful at last sunday's no-gi event. Menguito is also a three time winner in the 'Engkwentro' MMA event Davao's own version of the UFC.

Ive been training with both Kru Sulpiano Laurio and Kru Swing Ellar at the Acueza Martial Arts Center in Cubao (formerly PMA) since around '07 for a time sir Cobra also trained at the said gym dito na pala siya napunta sa Power Punch. Balita ko si Gary Garay (URCC Veteran and one of Alvin Aguilar's former bodyguards) has a school there at the Don Antonio area. Di kaya dyan din siya sa Power Punch.

mukhang kilala kita chief...power punch don antonio ka ba?

Power Punch Libis bro. Nag train na rin ako dun sa Don Antonio pero ever since sa libis na.

HHHHHMMMMMMMM

Ive been training with both Kru Sulpiano Laurio and Kru Swing Ellar at the Acueza Martial Arts Center in Cubao (formerly PMA) since around '07 for a time sir Cobra also trained at the said gym dito na pala siya napunta sa Power Punch. Balita ko si Gary Garay (URCC Veteran and one of Alvin Aguilar's former bodyguards) has a school there at the Don Antonio area. Di kaya dyan din siya sa Power Punch.

Indeed gary is ins power punch don antonio... I do boxing in power punch don antonio...no its not gary' s school as I knew...