Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Question,

Who was Brock Lesnar's latest opponent? Did he win? I haven't seen him in action yet. His discipline would be Wrestling?

That would be the Texas Crazy Horse Heath Herring. And yes he comes from a wrestling background being a former NCAA Division 1 Champion. And yes he did win. As Joe Rogan would put it. It was a 3-round Complete and Total Domination.

Edited by geneticfreak

^^ ipapalabas sa Hardball mamya & Sports Unlimited sa Saturday.. TV Patrol din siguro mamya.

Only things na nakakainis kahapon are:

1) Dian Castillejo, instructing the crowd to "practice" a Chuck greeting. Nawawala tuloy spontaneity.

2) Hina ng mic! Parang nag-mumble lang si Chuck sa pagsalita nya.

meron din sa UFC.com, about Fertita & Chuck being "overwhelmed" with the reception they received.

saw the vid on ufc.com

i thought i saw chuck cringe when he heard the "HI CHACK!" from the crowd

one of the corniest things I've ever seen (the greeting).

if vera beats Jardine, we might see chack vs. brandon in 09 here in manila

our chances get bigger if Philippe Nover does good in TUF

Dyan Castillejo just referred to UFC as the UNIVERSAL Fighting Championships just now on TV Patrol. He! He! Some partner ABS-CBN is...

Having Chuck on the card when the UFC comes here would be a dream. I hate to see what it would do to ticket prices though... Brandon would be a sure thing - provided he is healthy come May 2009. Just look at Jess Liaudin... They could "elevate" Munoz to the UFC. That could work too if he improves in his next couple of fights. Good thing they gave a long lead as I could save up for a good seat.

Only things na nakakainis kahapon are:

1) Dian Castillejo, instructing the crowd to "practice" a Chuck greeting. Nawawala tuloy spontaneity.

got that one right bro!... taragis n yan!... ginawang bata ung mga pumuntang fans..... sad to say may mga ngpauto naman!... :thumbsdownsmiley:

Chuck Liddell receives rockstar reception at SM Mall of Asia in Philippines

With ten years as a pro, a world title belt and scores of megafights over the years, former UFC light heavyweight

champion Chuck Liddell has probably seen it all when it comes to fan adulation. Well, at least until he arrived in the Philippines with UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta on Sunday and saw 4,000 fans waiting to see his open workout at the Mall of Asia in Pasay City.

“I was really surprised,” said the ‘Iceman’ of the reception he received at the third largest shopping mall in the world. “It was kinda shocking how many people actually showed up to watch me work out for an hour. It’s crazy. I didn’t expect it to be that big here. I thought it was a new market for us.”

You may think the Philippines is a new market for the UFC - and technically it is - but with the organization’s relationship with the ABS-CBN network and nationwide media coverage, it has taken over the country in a way that has even stunned Fertitta.

“We’ve always had high ambitions and high expectations for what we’re doing with growing the UFC, but it’s kind of cool now to see it actually happening and unfolding right before our eyes,” said Fertitta, who is on the last leg of a trip that has seen him spread the UFC gospel in the United Kingdom, Dublin, France, Germany, and now the Philippines, over the last week. “I think to some extent we’ve underestimated ourselves over the past couple of years. If you go to a lot of these countries, we’re very well known.”

Fertitta first got a taste of the UFC’s international potential during a trip with Liddell and UFC President Dana White to Ibiza, an island off the coast of Spain, in 2005.

“People knew Chuck when he was walking down the street, and that was before we were on TV,” said Fertitta.

Nothing could have prepared him for Sunday’s reception though, as some fans waited up to three hours to see the mixed martial arts icon.

“Chuck is a rock star over here,” he said. “He walks in the hotel and there are people all over him, and then we ended up doing a public training session and over 4,000 people showed up at the Mall of Asia just to see him. It was very interesting, even at times a little bit scary because there were so many people there.”

“I talked to bunch of people there, but it was really hard because if I got too close to the line, people started piling over security,” added Liddell. “It was an interesting thing, how fanatical the fans are. But it’s great having the fans behind you, and that they understand that this is a sport and not having that negative look at it. It’s always good to have people appreciate you for what you do and the things you’ve done.”

Even a task as mundane as checking into their hotel turned into a big event.

“When we came to the hotel, we checked in about 6:30 in the morning and there were about 20 photographers waiting for us. Then we held a press conference at nine and there were multiple TV stations and reporters. It’s beyond the imagination. They have a full day of press for us tomorrow, and I’ve got to be honest, I knew that we were growing internationally, but I don’t think I really had an appreciation for the amount of momentum we truly have until I came over here and saw it for myself.”

A key part of the UFC’s success in the Philippines can be traced to the aforementioned relationship with the ABS-CBN network.

“This happens to be one of the best partnerships we have, with ABS-CBN, the largest media company in the Philippines,” said Fertitta. “They have really gotten behind us and we’re the number one rated program on their sports network, so it’s carried over very well and the UFC brand is very strong here. We’re talking

Click here to find out more!

to them about the possibility of bringing a live event to Manila as part of our international expansion.”

A show in the Philippines, the home of boxing superstar and national icon Manny Pacquiao, is a no-brainer for the diehard fight fans of the nation, whom Fertitta describes as having “a deep understanding of the sport.” Summer of 2009 is being projected for the UFC’s initial foray into Southeast Asia, with the plan not only to showcase the company’s established stars, but to also give the event a local flavor.

“It will be a combination of bringing over some of our stars and then hopefully having some local Filipino fighters, and maybe bringing in some of the guys from Japan and South Korea,” said Fertitta, who believes the UFC’s success in the country can be boiled down to a couple key elements.

“First of all, based upon our popularity and success in the United States, that helps in a lot of these international markets,” he said. “Entertainment is one of the number one exports that we have in America, and a lot of these countries like to follow what is big and what is happening in the US, and we’ve built a strong brand. But beyond that, I think it has to do with the fact that we have a great partner in ABS-CBN. We’re broadcast in every home, they’re really getting behind it and really promoting it. I think that makes a big difference.”

It also doesn’t hurt that as Fertitta points out, “We’re probably more mainstream in the Philippines than we are in the US.”

The UFC owner says all this at 6pm local time on Sunday, and as he looks to the television, what does he see? UFC programming. It’s a long way from the dark ages of mixed martial arts, and Fertitta only sees bright days ahead – not only in the United States, but around the world.

“The plans are all coming into place,” said Fertitta. “We’re going to be moving the show around the world, and we’re creating the UFC global footprint.”

video:

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=VideoPlaye...e&gid=14689

not sure if guys saw it...meron na MMA as in nabugbog na kalbong guy when chuck was getting out of MOA...gustong lapitan si chuck..ayun! pinagtulungan ng mga bouncers....agaw eksena siya, in fairness....

yun ba yung naka-football jersey?

once again.. "Hi! Chuck!" :lol:

===

one more thing, bat ba pinipilit natin magsalita ng Filipino mga foreign gusts? Tapos pag nagsalita, hiyawan mga tao.. Yun ang loudest props sa buong event when Chuck said, "Mabuhay!")

Edited by fatso8

I was there at MOA around 1:30pm and I can say jam packed na yung mga tao. Too bad I wasn't able to get a UFC cap and a wristband para makapasok sa loob. I was at the side taking pics anyways I was really lucky to have his autograph kahit nasa labas ako, inabot ko sa isa sa mga kasama ni Chuck yung mag and sign pen ko at inakyat nya sa ring to have "Chak" este Chuck to sign it. Pics below yung best na kuha ko kay Chuck and my signed magazine :D

post-163388-1222126680.jpg

post-163388-1222126798.jpg

Edited by reachard
saw the vid on ufc.com

i thought i saw chuck cringe when he heard the "HI CHACK!" from the crowd

one of the corniest things I've ever seen (the greeting).

if vera beats Jardine, we might see chack vs. brandon in 09 here in manila

our chances get bigger if Philippe Nover does good in TUF

vera and nover to fight in their...uhmmm.... homecrowd? would be lovely to see... we all know how pinoy cheers for our kabayan!

Anderson Silva pondering retirement?

By Maggie Hendricks

Anderson Silva is saying that he is going to retire:

"I'll retire next year, I already gave my all. I don't need to prove anything for anyone and within one year I'll put my gloves aside."

To say that I'm shocked is an understatement. Silva currently sits atop the Yahoo! Sports pound-for-pound rankings, and is one of the best fighters in MMA's short history. His well-rounded game has forced other fighters to advance their technique to merely attempt to compete with him. His retirement, if he actually follows through, would leave a definite hole in the sport.

So what does that mean for the year? Are his next fights going to be the Anderson Silva farewell tour? His next fight is against Patrick Cote at UFC 90 on October 25 in Chicago. If he is serious about retiring, Silva could make it official there.

He has talked in the past about getting in the boxing ring and could bring a cadre of fans with him. Though he has been a UFC company man, doing whatever Dana White asked of him, Silva's possible entry into the ranks of the sweet science could be a dream-come-true for the Affliction/Golden Boy partnership. Of course, he could also truly put his gloves aside, sit back, relax and enjoy some golf. I hear that's what other retired athletes like to do.