Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem booked for Dec. 30 in Las Vegas

Former Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion Alistair Overeem has signed with Zuffa and will fight former UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar in his promotion debut in a five-round main event match-up, booked for the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

From UFC President Dana White (via LA Times):

"This is the fight the fans want. Both of these guys are monsters. Can Lesnar take Overeem down?"

"Lesnar vs. Overeem" is expected to serve as the headliner for UFC 141, which broadcasts live via pay-per-view on Friday night -- not Saturday -- so you can still go out and get bombed on New Year's Eve if that's your thing.

If not, no worries, you can ring in the new year right here on MMAmania.com by discussing this clash of titans, which will likely decide one of, if not the next heavyweight title contender.

And in the end, it was all planned.. (in my conspiracy theory anyway.. :D)

Alistair Overeem vs Brock Lesnar at UFC 141..

winner will face winner of Cain Velasquez vs Junior Dos Santos..

Bendo vs Guida also booked - most likely for the LW #1 contender

Matt Hughes vs Josh Koscheck - Kos was a replacement for Diego who suffered a hand injury..

Everything is falling into their places just as UFC planned.. hehe.. the only thing keeping them from getting Gilbert Melendez is that the UFC LW division is so stacked right now..

lesnar vs overeem is gonna be one hell of a fight!!

if brock does not improve his striking i think overeem may take this one...

What Brock really needs to improve on is how to take in shots. It's obvious how much he panics whenever he gets hit. Reem's striking is miles away over Brock's and even if he improves his striking, he'll get smashed if the fight stays on their feet.

UPDATE!!! Nick Diaz out, Carlos Condit in against champ Georges St-Pierre at UFC 137

LAS VEGAS – Carlos Condit (27-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) has replaced Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) and now fights UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) at next month's UFC 137 event.

At a press conference in Las Vegas, UFC president Dana White today announced the news, citing difficulties in getting Diaz to show up for scheduled media events this week.

"He looked me right in my face and lied to me and told me he'd do [the promotional commitments]," said White, who played a video promoting Condit as Diaz's replacement. "Nick Diaz can't handle the pressure of a major main event. ... That's what I think."

UFC 137 takes place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The night's main card, including St-Pierre vs. Condit, airs on pay-per-view.

Condit was scheduled to fight B.J. Penn in the co-headliner of UFC 137. That fight obviously has been scrapped, and White said he'll need to talk to Penn about a possible next fight.

White expressed his disgust and disappointment with Diaz, who no-showed Tuesday's press conference in Toronto and today's presser in Vegas. Diaz left Strikeforce and vacated his welterweight bout to re-sign with the UFC, where he hasn't fought in five years, for the opportunity to fight St-Pierre.

"I've had my reservations about this kid," White said. "Nick Diaz has lost his opportunity at the welterweight championship, and Carlos Condit has gotten it."

White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he's not sure if Diaz will get future fights in the UFC, so he hasn't counted out the possibility he'll still fight in the UFC. Regardless, White said Condit, the WEC's final 170-pound champ, clearly wanted the opportunity against St-Pierre.

"When we called Carlos, he started crying and had to call us back 15 minutes later because he was so happy," White said.

Condit enters the fight on a four-fight win streak (all in the UFC) and with 12 wins in his past 13 fights. His only loss during the streak came via close split decision to Martin Kampmann during his 2009 octagon debut. His past three wins have all come via stoppage, the past two in "Knockout of the Night" performances against Dan Hardy and Dong Hyun Kim.

St-Pierre, while pleased to have an opponent and fighting Condit, is nonetheless baffled by Diaz's no-show.

"I just don't understand how someone doesn't show up for an opportunity like this," St-Pierre said of Diaz. "I just can't believe it. It's amazing."

Cesar Gracie says Nick got what he deserved

If your long time trainer, friend, and the person who awarded you your black belt says this, then you definitely deserve it..

Nick has been known for no-shows on press conferences before but this aint SF.. your causing too much for this childish no-shows..

Cesar Gracie left his sons birthday just to accompany him to the press conference in Toronto and yet he did not show up and again his trainers booked a hotel in Vegas and he still does not show..

Nick Diaz just wasted the best opportunity of his fighting career.. What a shame..

If he did not want to do promotion, then e should not have accepted the fight..

@ G_Skills - i think dana just made an offer to BJ which he can't refuse. sana nga it's nick diaz

@BenRomansa - GSP will school Condit in a boring old fashion way

Looks like Mir/Nog are going to battle again. I hope Nog wins but I have a feeling Mir will end it in like the 2nd/3rd.

Nick Diaz is officially retarded. This moron just doesn't get it, not even when a million dollars is waved in his face.

^^^WTF????????????????

1 DAY LANG AKO DI NAKAPAGNET, ANG DAMI NG NGYARI!!!!!!!

hehehe..sayang c Diaz, i really believe he has a shot @ GSP. but BJ vs Diaz, is awesome also.they have the same style, good boxer and good jiu-jitsu.

Condit is very well rounded, but i think GSP will just wrestlef#&k him, but i hope im wrong, i want Condit to win by KO.

Brock vs Reem, just eclipsed the title fight between Cain and JDS.kawawa nmn yung championship fight, nawalan ng media exposure.

next, i hope they will announce a fight between Hendo and Shogun, or a unification bout against the winner of Bones-Rampage.

this is a very good year for MMA fans..

UFC 140: Tito Ortiz vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira booked for Dec. 10 in Toronto

Almost a full year after they were initially paired up, Tito Ortiz and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira have been booked to get busy once again, this time at UFC 140 on Dec. 10 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, according to UFC.com.

The two were originally set to square off at UFC Fight Night 24 back in March until Ortiz was forced off the card with stitches and what he called a "bad" concussion.

He would rebound quickly, though, as he was matched up with Ryan Bader at UFC 132 on July 2 and improbably managed to score one of the biggest upset victories of the year, effectively resurrecting his career.

He attempted to ride that wave of momentum into a main event rematch against Rashad Evans one month later but had his Cinderella story snuffed out via crushing knee to the body.

Because of his incredible story and persistence through a five year run of futility, he's back to give it one more go.

What the hell.. Did I hear it right??

Cung Le will face Vitor Belfort in UFC in Toronto?? or is that SF commentator on crack? :D

If that indeed is true, that is one hell of a fight..

UPDATE: Just found out that the fight is indeed official! Oh Yeah!

UFC is cleaning out the SF roster one fighter at a time..

Edited by G_sKiLLz