Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Well the quality has greatly improved if you had been able to watch the previous URCC events. The thing is though some of the fighting teams (and styles) here in the country continue to stagnate and stay seemingly unrefined because more often than not clubs who do that still rely on old or outdated training techniques and philosophies.

One of those prevailing ideas I actually find astounding in some teams is that despite the sport being Mixed Martial Arts they continue to only rely either on their striking or grappling to try and subdue opponents. They still approach and prepare MMA fights from a traditional, purist standpoint which is not the case in the US or where MMA has really taken a quantum leap.

But we're getting there... The pinoy victories at Resort World Singapore's Martial Combat events indicate the continously improving quality of pinoy mma. As URCC founder and Martial Arts hall of famer Alvin Aguilar has stated we actually are the winningest asian race at the moment at the Martial Combat events.

really? i remember 5 years ago when URCC matched up pinoy MMA fighters against chinese counterparts and none of our kbbayan won. well, maybe that was too long ago..

i guess ur ryt..dats why some wrestling base fighters look awkward, when they are striking..

is ur based also wrestling? ur from team sprawl right? is dat ut gym in edsa cubao? i saw a banner there.

i work as a bank examiner and oftentimes i feel bored during office hours, and i always day dream that i should be doing MMA instead.

but my physique doesnt suit my fantasy. i want to try BJJ, but i cant find a reputable school.

nagulat ako kanina sa TMZ, steven seagal trains machida hehe.....

nagcomment si rampage something like, if he needs water, i can pee haha

im also confused if that is serious or not.

remember, Anderson Silva also trains with Steagal before the Sonnen fight.

he was also there during the fight, he even embrace A.S. before he enter the octagon.

well,, maybe we could Machida triangle Rampage...LOL

UFC 123 QUICK RESULTS

Main event:

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson defeats Lyoto Machida via Split Decision

Main card (Televised):

BJ Penn defeats Matt Hughes via TKO (Strikes) Round 1

Phil Davis defeats Tim Boetsch via Submission (Kimura) Round 2

George Sotiropoulos defeats Joe Lauzon via Submission (Kimura) Round 2

Maiquel Jose Falcao Goncalves defeats Gerald Harris via Unanimous Decision

Spike TV broadcast (Televised):

Brian Foster defeats Matt Brown via Submission (Guillotine Choke) Round 2

Mark Munoz defeats Aaron Simpson via Unanimous Decision

Under card (May not be broadcast):

Dennis Hallman defeats Karo Parisyan via technical knockout (strikes) in round one

Edson Barboza defeats Mike Lullo via technical knockout (kicks) in round three

Paul Kelly defeats T.J. O'Brien via technical knockout (strikes) in round two

Nik Lentz defeats Tyson Griffin via split decision

a little disappointed in the bj vs hughes fight. i was really hoping for a 3 round war, but it was not meant to be. good to see bj back in the win column but kinda sad for hughes even thought i really don't like the guy. it could be the end of the road for matt. on the other hand maybe bj should stay at 170 for a while, he could give any welterweight a run for their money. how about bj vs alves eh? i'd love to see that fight.

was it just me or did karo parisyan look skinnier than usual? damn he looked like a normal guy that has done absolutely no training at all. i mean he's never been the type of guy to be lean, but his arms looked really small like zero muscle mass. i thought the fight was at lightweight when i saw how skinny he was.

rampage vs machida exceeded my expectations (i guess i was expecting more of a ortiz vs machida type fight). esp. rampage's performance. he didn't look super slow like he did against rashad and he was the one pushing the pace which also showed a significant improvement in his conditioning.

i thought machida won though. rounds 1 & 2 were pretty close but i thought he won the 1st and he outright won the final round. but props to rampage for openly admitting that he got an ass whoopin cause he really did in the 3rd - which is how a lot of machida fights look like at one point or another (with the exception of the shogun fight). and just as rampage said i think an immediate rematch should be in order.

oh and the fighter from down unda is the real deal. he finished a very tough opponent in joe lauzon. his competition should be upped big time. maybe give him sherk or the winner of dunham vs florian? or if bj decides to move back down he can have a crack at the prodigy. either way sotiropolous is a serious contender and a real test should be put in front of him.

oraaaaaaaaaaaayt GSP vs kos is next! can't wait for that one.

Edited by jimmii

really? i remember 5 years ago when URCC matched up pinoy MMA fighters against chinese counterparts and none of our kbbayan won. well, maybe that was too long ago..

i guess ur ryt..dats why some wrestling base fighters look awkward, when they are striking..

is ur based also wrestling? ur from team sprawl right? is dat ut gym in edsa cubao? i saw a banner there.

i work as a bank examiner and oftentimes i feel bored during office hours, and i always day dream that i should be doing MMA instead.

but my physique doesnt suit my fantasy. i want to try BJJ, but i cant find a reputable school.

You're referring the Art of War event where Mike Banayad, Salvador Domasian, Christian Wong and Mark Sangiao were matched up against fighters from China/Mongolia. Well Christian and Mark made a good accounting of themselves during their fights (Sangiao was actually winning the fight before he got hit with a head kick) and yes we have made great strides since then.

Occasionally though you will have a pure wrestler step in there and look awkward on the feet (as Roel Pacional looked against Arnel Arancina) or a kickboxer and look awkward on the ground simply cause some of these matchups were made in a hurry.

Yup SPRAWL has two gyms the one you saw in Cubao and another one along Shaw blvd right across pure gold. Why don't you give MMA a try.

If you're looking for a BJJ school there are four main BJJ schools in the manila area. Our Team, Team Fabricio BJJ has gyms in makati and shaw blvd in mandaluyong. Head coach is BJJ Blackbelt and multiple time World Seniors and Masters Champion Stephen Kamphuis we also have multiple time SEA Games gold medalist and Academia AZ BJJ Blackbelt John Baylon within our ranks.

Deftac has several gyms in the metro they have classes at mojo gym qc, parc house building 2 along edsa near gate 5 but their main school is the BAMF martial arts center in p'que. Head coach is URCC founder, Royce Gracie blackbelt Alvin Aguilar.

Then there's also newbreed academy which has dojos at rockwell in makati and tektite building near megamall. Head coaches are BJJ Blackbelts Mike Vives and Justin Doctolero.

Lastly there's Vamos Para Frente (VPF) which have their BJJ clases inside the Ateneo de Manila campus. Head coaches are BJJ Brownbelts Ali Sulit and Ralph Go. They are affliated with Ramon Lemos and the well known Atos BJJ.

There is no shortage of reputable BJJ schools specially here in metro manila. Why don't you try and visit one of these gyms.

Edited by geneticfreak
Guest eljuego

When I saw the look in BJ's eyes before the fight, I knew Matt Hughes would have a long night. As it happened, Hughes only had a short night. :lol: I'm curious to see BJ fight Fitch.

You're referring the Art of War event where Mike Banayad, Salvador Domasian, Christian Wong and Mark Sangiao were matched up against fighters from China/Mongolia. Well Christian and Mark made a good accounting of themselves during their fights (Sangiao was actually winning the fight before he got hit with a head kick) and yes we have made great strides since then.

Occasionally though you will have a pure wrestler step in there and look awkward on the feet (as Roel Pacional looked against Arnel Arancina) or a kickboxer and look awkward on the ground simply cause some of these matchups were made in a hurry.

Yup SPRAWL has two gyms the one you saw in Cubao and another one along Shaw blvd right across pure gold. Why don't you give MMA a try.

If you're looking for a BJJ school there are four main BJJ schools in the manila area. Our Team, Team Fabricio BJJ has gyms in makati and shaw blvd in mandaluyong. Head coach is BJJ Blackbelt and multiple time World Seniors and Masters Champion Stephen Kamphuis we also have multiple time SEA Games gold medalist and Academia AZ BJJ Blackbelt John Baylon within our ranks.

Deftac has several gyms in the metro they have classes at mojo gym qc, parc house building 2 along edsa near gate 5 but their main school is the BAMF martial arts center in p'que. Head coach is URCC founder, Royce Gracie blackbelt Alvin Aguilar.

Then there's also newbreed academy which has dojos at rockwell in makati and tektite building near megamall. Head coaches are BJJ Blackbelts Mike Vives and Justin Doctolero.

Lastly there's Vamos Para Frente (VPF) which have their BJJ clases inside the Ateneo de Manila campus. Head coaches are BJJ Brownbelts Ali Sulit and Ralph Go. They are affliated with Ramon Lemos and the well known Atos BJJ.

There is no shortage of reputable BJJ schools specially here in metro manila. Why don't you try and visit one of these gyms.

alala ko yung sa Art of War sir, si Sangiao nachambahan ng headkick nga sayang ^_^ fight of the night dun yung kay Babalu

boss GF yung Carlos Gracie na school ba eh invite only talaga yun? diba si Isyok Carlos Gracie na?

about UFC 123:

Falcao is a beast dapat lang magkaroon ng killer's instict para tinapos na nya kaagad si Harris nung 3rd round

Karo screamed like a girl ulit after he lost... sayang talaga itong fighter na to, had the potential but i was never really a fan

si Phil Davis anlakas! wrist control para ilagay yung buong arm ni Boetsch sa likod tapos sinungkit nung isang kamay nya para ma-complete yung kimura/americana with two hands

J Lau should go back in training with BJ Penn

George is a world class BJJ fighter ang galing ng positioning nya

si BJ Penn simula pa lang bulong na ng bulong hehehehe galit na galit ba

Machida was robbed

Edited by riceb0i

tnx, master..i will try enroll when i have the time.

4 months ago, i searched for a good bjj school here. and i saw the website of Team Fabricio, the resume of the head coach is pretty impressive.i called the branch in wack wack, a guy answered, kxo wlang kwenta kausap..di ko malaman kung "boy" ba nila yung nksagot. kya kinalimutan ko na..

ayos laban ni Mark Munoz....sagupaan tlg

master, san mo napanood to? cant remember that this was shown on Balls.

i agree with the one who sed that the main event is becoming boring.

i was also suprised to see Rampage's improved footwork.syang, yung triangle ni machida, kala ko mkkta tau uli ng slam ala-ricardo arona..hehehe...

my prediction in hughes-penn fight was wrong..but, its interesting to see bj takes on fitch.i like fitch khit mejo boring..its a gud thing dat his fight with ellenberger was cancelled.

G-Sot will fight Dennis Siver in Australia. he wished for that, and Dana granted that. he is on a 7-fight winning streak (1win away from the previous record of the most consecutive win of 8 of Jon Fitch and Royce Gracie.A.S. now holds the record with 12).IMO he should be fighting a top 10 guy to elevate him as a title contender, like the winner of dunham-florian fight. or sherk, or Charles Oliviera to see how good he really is in grappling.im betting on the latter for that..im not really impressd with G-Sot, he jst got lucky that J-lau gassed in the 2nd.

Or Edson Mendes Barboza Jr. have any1 seen his fight with Mike Lullo.cause this wasnt shown on Balls either.but accodring to the results, he kicked the legs of his foe for a 3rd round stoppage..that was his UFC debut..i seen some of his fight in youtube. and DAMN! this guy is like a LW Jose Aldo. their styles are the same..i thnk he is only 26 and is really tall for a LW.i thnk he could go up as WW..he is undeafeted. with all wins by stoppage.his UFC debut was the only one that went to round 3..this guy is the next real deal.

the harris-falcao fight was both boring and entertaining.ever1 predicts that Harris will win this via TKO/KO, cause no1 knew who falcao was..had any1 noticed that the bell on the 1st round sounded too early? when Falcao caught Harris in a deep RNC and the ref stopped the former for holding it too long..it was like 3-4 seconds earlier..gerald should be unconscious by then..and when the decision was announced, he was very disappointed that he didnt get the nod..where in the world that he got the idea, that he actually win the fight???? he obviously lost the 1st 2 rounds, for he was almost submitted, and then do nothing in the 3rd round, where falcao was just coasting..

Edited by sujiro

I was hoping Hughes to win the fight! But a "mad" BJ showed out and KTFO'd him early :ohmy:

Phil Davis is a contender on 205... should be matched up against Jon Jones

The Falcao vs. Harris fight was a good one except for the 3rd round! Falcao showed good striking ang jiujitsu! Credits to Harris as he was not finished by Falcao! Both good solid fighters! -_-

Finally the "old" Rampage showed up! too bad Machida was running away most of the fight and tried to steal it on the last dying minutes of the 3rd!

IMO Quinton deserve the split decision, Machida was barely making any offense on the 1st and 2nd rounds which went to Rampage, while he stole the third one! No need for a rematch, Dana White already downed the idea, we will just see the same thing what happend in that fight! Zzzzzz -_-

tnx, master..i will try enroll when i have the time.

4 months ago, i searched for a good bjj school here. and i saw the website of Team Fabricio, the resume of the head coach is pretty impressive.i called the branch in wack wack, a guy answered, kxo wlang kwenta kausap..di ko malaman kung "boy" ba nila yung nksagot. kya kinalimutan ko na..

naku malamang boy nga lang niya yun. Si coach stephen kasi unfortunately despite living here in the country for a decade already hindi pa din siya masyado nakakaintindi ng tagalog. hehe. I suggest talking to him in english if you ever decide to call him again or just visit this website for details on rates, venues and training schedules bjjphilippines.com. Hope to see you OTM one of these days.

Guest eljuego

Yup I felt Machida was robbed but that's how it is when you leave it up to the judges. We'll all be surely awaiting the immediate rematch.

Phil Davis and Jon Jones are like clones. =p Jon Jones I think has a lot more fluidity in his strikes

I also think that Machida was robbed. Rampage couldn't believe the decision as indicated in the surprised look in his eyes. He himself admitted he got his ass whooped by Machida.

I'd like to see a Davis vs. Jones fight. I agree that Jon Jones is the better striker but I think Davis is the better grappler.

Edited by eljuego