Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

rashad's speed/quickness advantage was just too much. not to mention the conditioning factor, man rashad's got a great tank. unfortunately he doesn't have a very good chin (he's been knocked down/out in his last 3 fights). rampage was doing well early on defending the take down attempts, but no doubt that took a lot out of him and he eventually gassed after the flurry in round 3.

was really hoping for shogun vs rampage II but meh it wasn't meant to be. stylistically, i actually think evans has a much better chance of defeating the newly crowned LHW champ than rampage. we all know how weak shogun's take down defense is, and i don't see evans utilizing any other game plan besides taking shogun to the canvas. we can expect that to happen through 5 rounds.

lil nog vs brilz was a very entertaining fight. lotsa back and forth ground action, it was a real fun fight to watch. i thought brilz won that one but i'm not surprised lil nog got the decision. credit to brilz though for taking the fight to lil nog, no one (myself included) expected him to even go past the first round.

...and a huge LOL at tod duffee hahahahaha. funniest fight i have ever seen in my entire life. WTF was that?! hahahahaha! a ton of respect and credit to russow for hanging in there and pulling off the HUUUUUUUUUGE upset. he was also very humble in the post fight interview so that's always a bonus.

Once again a briliant game plan by the great Greg Jackson. I knew Sugar was gonna go for something of a cross between what he did to both Chuck Lidell and Thiago Alves. Constantly staying outside Rampage's effective boxing range and using his speed to get in punches when he could and takedowns if possible. Rampage despite being able to fend off takedowns by such wrestlers as olympian like Dan Henderson and former ufc champ kevin randleman was not able to stop Rashad's takedowns (albeit but one in the first round when both of them were clinched on the fence).

There were differences in the matches he had with both those two wrestlers and this one that made those takedowns possible. First off is how Rashad takes people down... you see unlike Dan Henderson who mostly operates in the clinch Sugar's takedowns are low and come from well beyond Ramapage's effective range (Henderson is also a bit undersized for someone like Rampage). And unlike the fight with Randleman which was done in a ring... this fight was done inside a cage where again Greg Jackson's man used the 'press and fatigue' approach similar to what GSP used against BJ Penn to tire out Rampage Jackson. This together with that straight up boxing stance Rampage has makes him prone to low double and single leg takedowns. Apart from the near KO in the third... Sugar hardly took damage in any of the other two rounds.

Very smart. Very effective. Not quite as entertaining but got the job done right.

And oh yes... stylistically Sugar does have a great chance of getting a decision win over Shogun Rua given the kind of takedown defense that he has. but... then again the difference in that fight and this fight he just had with Rampage is that'll be a championship fight and thus will be 5 rounds. the longer it is... the more chances Shogun has of catching him with a knockout punch or kick or knee (just like the one Melvin Guillard gave his opponent tonight).

i'm a little disappointed with lil' nog's game, he is having a hard time with his opponent.

i think that goes to show that wrestlers are a handful. and i agree with joe rogan when he says wrestling is the best base to have when crossing over to MMA. with wrestling, you're able to dictate where the fight takes place.

i just wish wrestling (as well as barbell strength training) were part of PE in schools here.

my insights

1. Diego should stay at LW, he got manhandled by Hathaway and he will get manhandled by the newer 170 guys

2. Lil Nog's gameplan got thrown off since he was originally preparing for a striker. Kudos to Brilz though for giving us a heck of a show

3. Hands up and stop winding your punches or get KTFOs like Duffee

4. Miller forgot to use the "jersey style" of fighting which is rough up your opponent and scrap.

5. Rampage lacked the gas and didn't pick his shots when he had the opportunity. Good gameplan by Evans

and yes, Stylistially, Evans has a good chance of beating Shogun. But then again, let's see what Shogun will bring since he surprised us all with how he beat Machida

Shogun will beat Evans Ass Flatt out!!! Just like how Machida KTFO'd Evans in their fight! No doubt!!! Tapos Lil' Nog vs. Shogun!!! Rematch!!! :lol:

i wish it was that simple :lol:

machida KO'd evans because the fight stayed on the feet, and i doubt rashad would have been able to take machida down either (actually the opposite happened). if shogun can't keep the fight standing, he's in for a loooooooooooooooooooooooong night.

lang kwenta yung evans-rampage.

tingin ko masyadong malaki yung binibigay na credit to shogun for defeating machida. kontra-pelo lang talaga. bukod kay shogun, i don't think anybody else has lyoto's number. iba talaga yung style ni machida.

MACHIDA VS. RAMPAGE COULD BE NEXT

Now that Rashad Evans is set to face Mauricio "Shogun" Rua for the UFC light heavyweight title later this year, what about the two fighters they defeated to make that championship fight?

Well, it looks like Lyoto Machida will sit down with UFC president Dana White very soon to decide his next fight and it may very well end up being against the other fighter in this equation, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

"I'm going to get together with Machida in the next couple of days, maybe Rampage," said White on Saturday night following UFC 114.

Machida suffered the first loss of his career in May when he was TKO'd by Rua in a rematch of a fight the two had in 2009. Their first bout ended in controversial fashion with Machida winning a decision in a bout most observers scored the other way.

Obviously looking to get back to the title, Machida's fastest path to that may be fighting another top light heavyweight and Jackson more than fills that requirement.

A former light heavyweight champion in his own right, Jackson suffered a tough loss to Evans on Saturday night, and admitted that the pressure from the fight and from filming the "A-Team" movie got to him, along with ring rust from being out of the game for 14 months.

A bout between Machida and Jackson would surely vault the winner into striking distance of a title shot, and possibly revenge.

More news about Machida's next fight should be released in the coming days when White has a chance to sit down with the Brazilian and his manager.

rampage vs machida would be a terrible fight for rampage, but a good one for machida. this is gonna end up exactly like ortiz vs machida and probably won't be the most exciting fight (unless somebody gets KO'd).

machida is light years ahead of rampage in terms of speed and quickness. if rampage looked slow against evans then he'll look like he's in SLOW MOTION against machida. it's gonna be 3 rounds of rampage chasing machida, getting frustrated and losing via unanimous or KO just like everyone else not named shogun.

i think rampage vs lil nog would make for a much more exciting fight. maybe you could pair machida with bones jones or couture for the time being.

Shogun will have time to prepare and have a gamplan for Rashad.He said in his interviews that his new methods is to based his techniques through his opponents game like he did with Lyoto. I hope shogun knocks the f#&k out of Rashad.

He will my Friend... He will!!! Tapos Rematch kay Forrest Griffin or Lil' Nog!!! :lol:

Chael Sonnen Talks 205lb Division, Talks 'Karate Guy' Champ

Love him or hate him, Chael Sonnen likes to keep things interesting with a little trash talk like the following gem:

"If I beat Anderson Silva, win the world title, I imagine I'll get in a public dispute with the UFC. I'll call Dana a bunch of the names throughout the media. I imagine I'll leave the company. After about a year or so I'll realize there is no where else to go, return to the UFC with a raise and probably coach the reality show."

"I would love to go 205. 185 pounds is the toughest division in the business. So if you're going to go after the belt, go after the tough one. But I'd love to get a night off and beat up some of those... for god sake, 205 had a karate guy that was their champion. I mean that weight class is a joke."

hehehehe, chael obviously hates any member of team black house, insultuhin ba pati si Lyoto!