Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

My Thoughts on the UFC 111: St Pierre vs. Hardy

1) It's the 'WRESTLING' Baby.

Fitch, GSP, Pellegrino and Carwin. Yes even Carwin... Let us remember the dirty boxing (and the subsequent knockout) was set up initially by his attempts at a single leg and then by that powerful Greco Roman clinch.

2) Dan Hardy does not even belong in the same octagon as GSP.

I mean apart from the Irish Hand Grenade who the heck did he even beat in his four fight win streak for him to deserve the title shot. Fitch would own him and so would Koscheck (and I say that even more strongly now after seeing how 'easy' it is to take him down). Even an Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson or Paulo Thiago would have his way with him.

3) And so for GSP now the same predicament as BJ Penn...

Who is now left in the ranks of the welterweight division to challenge him. Same problem BJ has in the lightweight division. No disrepect to his upcoming opponent, Frankie Edgar (who is also one of my favorites) but heck again he's a huge underdog to the Prodigy.

4) The Palhares Submission (heel hook) might be looked upon a lot closer by the UFC management...

Remember what happened to former title contender Renato 'Babalu' Sobral... Did not release the submission immediately after the tap and got suspended. I didn't think there was no malicious intent on Palhares' part but still they might look at the tape and give him a warning or something.

5) And finally I think Dan Miragliotta did a lousy job as a referee...

First in the Fitch fight he kept standing both guys up simply cause the crowd was booing... I mean what the heck... Fitch had position and was pounding on Ben Saunders and Saunders was trying to control his posture... 'their fighting'. Why'd you have to stop the action.

He also let Frank Mir absorb a lot more punishment than necessary. I personally feel it was a late stoppage. Mir's base had already collapsed once Carwin took his back and continued raining shots. He was clearly out already and Miragliotta was just there and he saw him take four or five more shots before finally stopping the fight.

Edited by geneticfreak
My Thoughts on the UFC 111: St Pierre vs. Hardy

1) It's the 'WRESTLING' Baby.

Fitch, GSP, Pellegrino and Carwin. Yes even Carwin... Let us remember the dirty boxing (and the subsequent knockout) was set up initially by his attempts at a single leg and then by that powerful Greco Roman clinch.

2) Dan Hardy does not even belong in the same octagon as GSP.

I mean apart from the Irish Hand Grenade who the heck did he even beat in his four fight win streak for him to deserve the title shot. Fitch would own him and so would Koscheck (and I say that even more strongly now after seeing how 'easy' it is to take him down). Even an Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson or Paulo Thiago would have his way with him.

5) And finally I think Dan Miragliotta did a lousy job as a referee...

First in the Fitch fight he kept standing both guys up simply cause the crowd was booing... I mean what the heck... Fitch had position and was pounding on Ben Saunders and Saunders was trying to control his posture... 'their fighting'. Why'd you have to stop the action.

He also let Frank Mir absorb a lot more punishment than necessary. I personally feel it was a late stoppage. Mir's base had already collapsed once Carwin took his back and continued raining shots.

i totally agree. dan hardy did not belong in there with GSP and he was exposed big time. despite another dominating performance by GSP, i feel his disappointment. i really felt like he should've finished the fight with the number of opportunities that he had. the only welterweight now that i think would give him trouble is koscheck as he is probably the best wrestler not named Georges St-Pierre.

and with regards to miragliotta, yeah he did a horrendous refereeing job. the one with fitch while he was gnp-ing and then the heavyweight interim title fight. mir ate waaaaaaaaaay too many punches (altho i'm glad he got his mouth shut AGAIN). i know he was trying to give mir every chance to survive but the ref should also err on the side of caution and he clearly didn't do that. he has to be the worst ref out there (mazzagatti takes 2nd place).

i would also just like to add that GSP seems to lack that killer instinct. the armbar he attempted was lost probably because of a mistake in technique, but the kimura was really deep. im pretty sure GSP could have ripped hardy's arm off if he wanted to (and maybe he should have). but even if GSP did rip hardy's arm off i'm convinced hardy wouldn't have tapped as he later explained in the post fight interview with joe rogan.

Edited by jimmii

too bad mir lost, i was hoping he could get his title shot before carwin, carwin is a monster, i hope he wins against brock..

nice win by GSP, handing the outlaw a beatdown, but dan hardy can only improve with this loss, dami pa butas mma game nya..who's next for GSP?

Brutal win by Carwin. I never thought he will decapitate Mir in just 1 round. Now i'm very excited for Lesnar vs Carwin. WAR LESNAR!!!

GSP...what can i say, another takedown/gnp strategy. it's getting a little tiring watching him fight these days. although he is good in taking down his opponent, but watching fight like this makes me sleepy. i'm just sick and tired of him winning via decision...

Guest megalodon
3) And so for GSP now the same predicament as BJ Penn...

Who is now left in the ranks of the welterweight division to challenge him. Same problem BJ has in the lightweight division. No disrepect to his upcoming opponent, Frankie Edgar (who is also one of my favorites) but heck again he's a huge underdog to the Prodigy.

Perhaps a BJ-GSP 3? :thumbsupsmiley:

i would also just like to add that GSP seems to lack that killer instinct. the armbar he attempted was lost probably because of a mistake in technique, but the kimura was really deep. im pretty sure GSP could have ripped hardy's arm off if he wanted to (and maybe he should have). but even if GSP did rip hardy's arm off i'm convinced hardy wouldn't have tapped as he later explained in the post fight interview with joe rogan.

A mistake in technique on the armbar indeed, not to criticize GSP (I mean he is a BJJ blackbelt and I'm merely a bluebelt) but he forgot to bring his knees together on the armbar. If you watch the numerous replays of the said armbar you can see GSP pulling on the arm but with his knees pointing outwards and not toward each other. The knees are supposed to come/point toward each other in the middle to secure the arm in place like a vise while hyperextending the elbow joint.

oh well what the heck Hardy might have still not tapped even if GSP had perfect technique...

The person I think who would be most deserving of a shot at GSP's title at the moment would be Jon Fitch, after the loss in their title fight Fitch has just been slowly running through the opposition and has in fact started another four or five fight win streak. His striking looks a lot smoother and a lot more fluid and he appears to have improved in the areas of strength and athleticism as well. I would love to see them in a title rematch.

well that or yeah... BJ can climb up to welterweight again after he's done dealing with Frankie Edgar though.

Very good game plan by Carwin... he took out the new found striking confidence from Mir and pressed him against the cage...

A mistake in technique on the armbar indeed, not to criticize GSP (I mean he is a BJJ blackbelt and I'm merely a bluebelt) but he forgot to bring his knees together on the armbar. If you watch the numerous replays of the said armbar you can see GSP pulling on the arm but with his knees pointing outwards and not toward each other. The knees are supposed to come/point toward each other in the middle to secure the arm in place like a vise while hyperextending the elbow joint.

Now that you pointed that out, yeah I did notice that... he didn't pinch his knees together and raise his hips... his armbar was loose..

I have to watch the details on the kimura, but now that I noticed it, he should have placed the arm on his chest and torqued with his body and not just the arms

I have to watch the details on the kimura, but now that I noticed it, he should have placed the arm on his chest and torqued with his body and not just the arms

Yup that is correct. I can't remember though if he had one leg over Hardy's head during the kimura that would have helped GSP with putting his entire weight into the submission.

syanga pala, ano kaibahan ng "no contest" sa "draw"?

NC is usually due to stoppage due to accidental cuts, etfc draw is when the match was finished but the judges scores rule it a draw

can't wait for carwin vs lesnar

Me too... especially since Brock had the scared look when he saw how Carwin beat Mir

I think Paulo Thiago, Kosh and Daley are much more dangerous opponents for GSP than Hardy. But then GSP can negate their explosive punches. So we need a striker with a godly takedown defense to beat gsp.

@ Carwin

Woww ^^ didn't expect the fight would end just like that. Pure power short punches, he's a monster. I will love too see Brock eating those punches

4) The Palhares Submission (heel hook) might be looked upon a lot closer by the UFC management...

Remember what happened to former title contender Renato 'Babalu' Sobral... Did not release the submission immediately after the tap and got suspended. I didn't think there was no malicious intent on Palhares' part but still they might look at the tape and give him a warning or something.

Palhares was suspended by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board for 90 days for not releasing the hold. IMO, the referee should be blamed for that, he just waited for the referee to stop the fight.

The Sobral incident was different because of the post-fight interview. Palhares was apologetic for his actions unlike Babalu who was proud and told that he did it intentionally.

That heel hook was nasty. Drwal was scraming in agony right from the start and even after he released the hold. Im sure the case to ban the heel hook would surface again. Some organizations have banned the heel hook as a submission.

Now we know why Hendo did not want any part of Palhares' ground game. 5 of his 11 wins via heel hook. I hope we get to see Maia against Palhares after Anderson beats Demian.

Palhares was suspended by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board for 90 days for not releasing the hold. IMO, the referee should be blamed for that, he just waited for the referee to stop the fight.

Yes the ref should have been quicker.. A fighter's mentality is not to let go until the ref tells him to or the ref yanks him away from his opponent..

Just my 2 cents, even the Mir Carwin fight was stopped a bit late

Carwin got lucky, Brock Lesnras bad as he is.. i dont think their in the same league to begin with.. nevertheless this is gonna be a good fight.

I wouldn't say he got lucky... he executed a very smart game plan, which was to pressure Mir against the cage and make him fight in the clinch since Mir has been known to get beaten in the clinch by stronger guys...