Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

From what I've heard, there's a Muay Thai gym in that area. I think the name of the gym is Roundhouse Muay Thai, but I don't know its exact location in Merville. I'll just PM you if I ever come across some more info about the gym.

thanks sir :D

how about aikido? any dojo in the same area? my wife wants to learn :)

pareng TequilaJoe, can you please define 'submission sports". Is this like Brazilian Jujitsu or Greco-Roman Wrestling?

And where can we enroll if ever we are interested to learn.

Please pardon my ignorance. Thanks friend  :)

We are a sports organization oriented towards self-defense as a discipline and a discipline as an art of self- defense. We integrate the very foundations of street survival due to the heightening danger of society we dwell upon. Our members are our brothers. Like a family, our ties are not easily broken. We uphold what is morally just and what is beneficial to the community. Our concept of safety is in relation to the contemporary conformity of reality. Our spirit will live on in every generation and in every member. Our passion will always be the driving force in every action that we initiate. Long live PASUKUAN! (Passion & Destroy= Submission Sport)

hey tequilajoe,

need your help pare! I was trying to get the info about the pasukuan here in makati one of our forumer comrades here gave me the place he said you guys practice here in paramount gym..which im not familiar with ..do you happen to know a fone number to call so i can inquire about the rate, the place an all the info,s..tnx in advance tol..

Alpha

Guest uglykid
We are a sports organization oriented towards self-defense as a discipline and a discipline as an art of self- defense. We integrate the very foundations of street survival due to the heightening danger of society we dwell upon. Our members are our brothers. Like a family, our ties are not easily broken. We uphold what is morally just and what is beneficial to the community. Our concept of safety is in relation to the contemporary conformity of reality. Our spirit will live on in every generation and in every member. Our passion will always be the driving force in every action that we initiate. Long live PASUKUAN! (Passion & Destroy= Submission Sport)

TequilaJoe,

Thanks for the clarification. I believe this would help everyone who's interested in joining you.

More power to you and your organization my friend.

bonzai, the first kickboxing gym that comes to mind is the Amateur Muay Thai Associaion of the Philippines gym in Ultra. But, there's several others you can check out like Kalasag kickboxing, Bull Handead, Hybrid Yaw-Yan and Suntokaran Todo Bakbakan also conducts some kickboxing classes. I would'nt be much help with their exact locations, because all I know is that they have gyms in QC. If I ever get some added info I'll just post it here in the board.

Spetsnaz: the kickboxing gym in merville is along vienna st. it's located in one of the houses, have not been able to check it out

Bonzai: the kickboxing gym operated by the Amateru Muay Thai Association is located in the bleacher of the Ultra oval. The gym is decent and if it's your first time you'll have to get used to the smell of sweat on the way in. The cost is P3500 for the sessions (12-15 i'm not sure). basic defense, punching, kicking, use of elbows and knees. then you do pad works and/or spar and then learn and practice combos. After the sessions, it's P100 per session whenever you come in. No fixed schedule of classes. If you're familiar with the URCC, in URCC 3, Asion "The Bull" won the SOT, he's one of the trainers of that gym. One of them, Billy and Brent, represent the Philippines in the World Cup tourneys in Thailand. The gym and association is headed by Kru Robert Valdes. He was trained and competed in Thailand and the association is accredited by the PSC. So it's not a sham - they are the real thing.

Hope this helps you or others.

I'm a shorin-ryu practitioner also of the kobayashi (chibana style). i've been training for 12 years in the style, under the Okinawa Shorin-ryu Clan Phils. Karate Club. We exist to propagate the traditions of Shorin Ryu. This will be accomplished through the teaching of classical martial art forms and applications. Our Goal is to promote the personal growth and mutual respect of every student by fostering a spirit of co-operation and friendship, resulting in enhanced self-esteem, confidence and a positive mental attitude.

http://www.osc.faithweb.com/osclogo.jpg

http://www.osc.faithweb.com/osckanjitrns.gif

http://www.osc.faithweb.com/karate_ani.gif

"Bravery in Battle,Purity of Mind and Spirit,Humility of the Heart"

Spetsnaz: the kickboxing gym in merville is along vienna st. it's located in one of the houses, have not been able to check it out

Bonzai: the kickboxing gym operated by the Amateru Muay Thai Association is located in the bleacher of the Ultra oval. The gym is decent and if it's your first time you'll have to get used to the smell of sweat on the way in. The cost is P3500 for the sessions (12-15 i'm not sure). basic defense, punching, kicking, use of elbows and knees. then you do pad works and/or spar and then learn and practice combos. After the sessions, it's P100 per session whenever you come in. No fixed schedule of classes. If you're familiar with the URCC, in URCC 3, Asion "The Bull" won the SOT, he's one of the trainers of that gym. One of them, Billy and Brent, represent the Philippines in the World Cup tourneys in Thailand. The gym and association is headed by Kru Robert Valdes. He was trained and competed in Thailand and the association is accredited by the PSC. So it's not a sham - they are the real thing.

Hope this helps you or others.

thanx bro

hey tequilajoe,

need your help pare! I was trying to get the info about the pasukuan here in makati one of our forumer comrades here gave me the place he said you guys practice here in paramount gym..which im not familiar with ..do you happen to know a fone number to call so i can inquire about the rate, the place an all the info,s..tnx in advance tol..

Alpha

Paramount Gym

Penthouse, Centro Building

180 Salcedo Street, Legaspi Village Makati

Phone No.: 813 8977

We train 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Catcho, is your Shorin Ryu similar to Roberto Gonzales? I know that the late Arnis GM Ben Lema is also a Shorin Ryu instructor who studied in Japan. :)

Our style is the kobayashi style of shorin-ryu from the lineage of Choshin Chibana to the father of Philippine Karate, Latino H. Gonzales. Latino is the brother of Roberto. However, Roberto made some modifications and the style was later on called the SHOTOKAN.

Original JKD was the brainchild of the Legend Bruce Lee based from a mixture of all the arts he had learned, he combined it into one flowing art, JKD.

Lee had a number of students during his time, but only a handful were really able to pick up where he left and continued practicing and mastering the art.

Perico JKD, as implied, is a form of JKD which Joey Perico developed based on the original JKD of Bruce Lee.

Hello, I used to do a little JKD. There are two main schools, the Concepts School and the Original School. The Original school is what Bruce Lee's first students from Oakland teach. It is mainly Jun Fan kung fu -- a modified form of wing chun with borrowed concepts from western boxing, western fencing and white crane kung fu. Ted Wong would probably be among its leaders. After he left Oakland/San Francisco, Bruce Lee moved to Los Angeles and continued his own personal martial arts evolution there. The Concepts school is led by Fil-Am Dan Inosanto, Bruce Lee's training partner. It has a research and development approach that studies anything useful it can find in any martial art. It's curriculum includes Filipino martial arts, muay thai, savate, boxing, bjj, grappling, etc. It seems like a lot, but students gravitate towards a few arts and specialize in them. Their aim is to be efficient in every range of combat. JKD Concepts is much more popular and, honestly speaking, much more respected. In my opinion, JKD Concepts is actually more Dan Inosanto than Bruce Lee because most of it was developed after Lee's death.

Hello, I used to do a little JKD. There are two main schools, the Concepts School and the Original School. The Original school is what Bruce Lee's first students from Oakland teach. It is mainly Jun Fan kung fu -- a modified form of wing chun with borrowed concepts from western boxing, western fencing and white crane kung fu. Ted Wong would probably be among its leaders. After he left Oakland/San Francisco, Bruce Lee moved to Los Angeles and continued his own personal martial arts evolution there. The Concepts school is led by Fil-Am Dan Inosanto, Bruce Lee's training partner. It has a research and development approach that studies anything useful it can find in any martial art. It's curriculum includes Filipino martial arts, muay thai, savate, boxing, bjj, grappling, etc. It seems like a lot, but students gravitate towards a few arts and specialize in them. Their aim is to be efficient in every range of combat. JKD Concepts is much more popular and, honestly speaking, much more respected. In my opinion, JKD Concepts is actually more Dan Inosanto than Bruce Lee because most of it was developed after Lee's death.

Yeah it is true that Oakland started teaching JKD, but the thing really started in the Los Angeles Chinatown School (LA Chinatown for the fans). Bruce coined JKD while he was there in LA utilizing fencing principles, then brought it to Oakland to keep them informed of the developments. He favored a Stop hit principle wherein it became the Cantonese translation of Jeet Kune Do (Way of the Stop hit fist)Bruce Lee and Ted Wong make periodic trips to Oakland to train in JKD.

Jeet Kune Do lost the flavor of Jun Fan Gung Fu since it did away with most of the Wing Chun retaining it to a status of a mere influence in the said art. It was Dan's own thing when he said JKD is Jun Fan Gung Fu. If you get to see Ted Wong which I was fortunate to meet and see his movements, you won't see any WC structure. JKD you could say is a long range boxing attack with non telegraphic fencing movements. Bruce realized he can't do a straight blast when that Chinese challenger kept running away from him and realized some pointers: endurance, adaptation to the opponent's range using footwork and boxing to further gape into the opponent's holes. Linear movements would not always be the key as WC is an advocate of, removing the limitation and adapt to the opponent like water is the key.

I remember attending a seminar abroad which quoted Bruce Lee in his book "Commentaries on the Martial Way" page 50 on mixing arts.

X is Jeet Kune Do

Y is the art you will represent

To represent and teach Y one should drill its members according to the preaching of Y.

This is the same with anyone who is qualiified and has been approved to represent X

To justify by interfusing X and Y is basically the denying of Y -------- but still calling it Y

A man, as you put it, is one who is noble to stick to the road he has chosen.

A garden of rose will yield rose, and a garden of violets will yield violets.

:)

Hi Topher,

You could say concepts jkd is much respected because it got long into the limelight thanks to Dan. But we have to put the real JKD into the limelight too so as to inform the public as to what had been taught in the Oakland and LA Chinatown schools. I find the original JKD really cool and goes straight to the point on fighting.

Snow