Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Rafael Dos Anjos (foot) pulls out of UFC 196 fight vs. Conor McGregor

post-481684-0-03174500-1456252193_thumb.jpg

For the second time in seven months, a defending UFC champion has pulled out of a title fight against Conor McGregor.

UFC lightweight titleholder Rafael dos Anjos (25-7) has withdrawn from a scheduled defense against McGregor in the main event of UFC 196 on March 5 with a foot injury, sources confirmed to ESPN.

McGregor (19-2), the current featherweight champion, has not yet been pulled from the card. Sources said the UFC is looking at potential options to keep McGregor on the Las Vegas pay-per-view event. The Irishman was looking to make history against dos Anjos by becoming the first fighter to hold titles in multiple weight classes simultaneously.

The situation is reminiscent of July 2015, when then-featherweight champion Jose Aldo withdrew from a defense against McGregor on less than two weeks notice with a rib injury. McGregor eventually fought Aldo at UFC 194 on Dec. 12, defeating the longtime champ via knockout in 13 seconds.

One potential replacement for McGregor is recent lightweight title contender Donald Cerrone (29-7). Cerrone's manager, Josh Jones, told ESPN that Cerrone has already expressed interest. Cerrone, 32, lost to dos Anjos in December and just returned Sunday as a welterweight. According to Jones, Cerrone currently weighs approximately 174 pounds, but he would cut as much as possible to get the fight.

The UFC also could consider Nate Diaz (18-10) of Stockton, California. Diaz is coming off a decision win against Michael Johnson in December, and McGregor's camp has expressed interest in facing him previously.

UFC 196 will take place at MGM Grand Garden Arena. A female bantamweight title fight between Holly Holm and Miesha Tate is slotted as the co-main event.

Pag manalo si diaz,iiyak nyan si dana white hahaha

Haha! Bakit mo naman nasabi?

I think no-brainer talaga si Connor to win this one. Although hopefully it would be an exciting fight. Dapat toe to toe ang laban at wasakan talaga ng mukha.

Wag na masyado mag aksaya ng panahon na mahabang sukatan pa. Let both loudmouths talk with their fists this time.

i'm fairly surprised and impressed that Mcgregor on maybe a week's notice took another fight and moved up two weight classes just so Diaz has no excuses in trying to make weight which was originally at 155. Gotta give Mcgregor props after preparing for a fighter for months and then having to change his whole fight preparation in 2 weeks for another fighter.

After UFC 196 this upcoming heavyweight fight between Mark Hunt and Frank Mir is next

March 20, 2016

Brisbane

post-481684-0-15392700-1457207230_thumb.jpg

Edited by hahnz

UFC #Unstoppable Press Conference was aired yesterday where Dana White announced the upcoming fights from April until July

post-481684-0-20754600-1457207924_thumb.jpg

post-481684-0-08956000-1457208118_thumb.jpg

post-481684-0-80914600-1457208137_thumb.jpg

post-481684-0-79550100-1457209256_thumb.jpg

post-481684-0-88026000-1457208154_thumb.jpg

post-481684-0-09714100-1457208167_thumb.jpg

post-481684-0-16719500-1457208248_thumb.jpg

post-481684-0-32256000-1457208267_thumb.jpg

The Ultimate Fighter Series will be these two women as coaches which airs on April 20

post-481684-0-22395300-1457208380_thumb.jpg

This fight between Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Claudia Gadelha will be on July 8 at the Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale

Here are some highlights from the press conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etHQVvlBvFM

There were some really funny and intense staredowns between the fighters Like Joanna Jędrzejczyk and Claudia Gadelha, Jones and Cormier, Rockhold & Weidman among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OBIFm-tYg

Edited by hahnz
  • Like (+1) 1

Haha! Bakit mo naman nasabi?

I think no-brainer talaga si Connor to win this one. Although hopefully it would be an exciting fight. Dapat toe to toe ang laban at wasakan talaga ng mukha.

Wag na masyado mag aksaya ng panahon na mahabang sukatan pa. Let both loudmouths talk with their fists this time.

I think what he meant that Dana White would suddenly frown is because Mcgregor is pulling in the crowd and is a great hype machine for the UFC to rake in more money. If he loses to Diaz it would be like how Rousey lost, he needs that face for the UFC in order to make people want to come and watch the fights.

He used to have that with Jon Jones, so after he got suspended for that MVA, he looked to Ronda to hype up the fights, but after she lost to Holm he is now looking to Mcgregor to do that. God forbid, Mcgregor loses, it would get people to lose interest with no one to create the drama. But Jones is coming back in April so it would be interesting who the UFC would like to put up as their face for the company

for the Tate fight. Before she loses to Rousey again. let her hold onto the belt for a while and have Rousey fight Holm since they were supposed to get a rematch anyway. And the winner of that fight will fight Tate for the championship. or also give Tate a fight to defend the title with another fighter other than Rousey or Holm.

Holm was exposed in this fight with her ground defense being a weakness. She was able to stuff the Miesha takedowns before that 5th round. She was actually winning and would have won if she just stuck to the sidekicks and keeping Tate at a distance.

as for the Mcgregor fight. i don't know if Mcgregor went in there thinking that Diaz would just roll over and lose to him. He did win the 1st round and could have finished Nate off. But one thing i noticed is, Diaz can take a punch. He was the one who was cut above the eye and bleeding, he still stuck in there. Diaz got heart. He definitely would fight to the last second. Once he got a clean left shot to Mcgregor and seeing Mcgregor go wobbly I knew that Mcgregor was in trouble. Mcgregor shouldn't have gone in there and traded blows, bad strategy. Diaz's punch rocked him hard. I don't think he expected that Diaz punches that hard seeing Mcgregor trading shots with him from the get go.

That Diaz punch clearly rocked him and threw him off his balance. Saw the replay over and over and i saw Mcgregor step back and try to knock the cobwebs out from the punch but Nate followed it up and didn't give him a chance to recover.

Edited by hahnz