Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

the R2 did it for Rockhold able hurt Weidman then established the striking game between them after the furry he got from Weidman in R1.

http://i.imgur.com/htIIu6T.jpg

you think Jacare and / Romero is / are better than Weidman at this point? I see Weidman being one-sided tbh. His stand-up isn't as good as people claim it to be.

Not sure if it's just me. Jose Aldo looked different when he entered the octagon. It seems that he is out of his element. Maybe he just got too intimidated by Connor? Or is there something else? Well, whatever it is it was definitely a poor performance from an undisputed champion.

Weidman used a technique he is not known for, maybe he was thinking if Vitor can do it so can he. It cost him the fight and the belt. Well, even if it landed flush on Luke I doubt that he can deliver the same damage as Vitor did.

Edited by gwapingsz1

Jacare may have lost but he had proven he is still a contender. He started slow like diesel but when he got his rhythm he looked great. Too bad that round 1 made too much impression on the 2 judges. Romero's conditioning became and issue while Jacare's conditioning proved to be his strength. He recovered well after round 1 and he was moving and breathing better during round 2 and 3.

Not sure if it's just me. Jose Aldo looked different when he entered the octagon. It seems that he is out of his element. Maybe he just got too intimidated by Connor? Or is there something else? Well, whatever it is it was definitely a poor performance from an undisputed champion.

Weidman used a technique he is not known for, maybe he was thinking if Vitor can do it so can he. It cost him the fight and the belt. Well, even if it landed flush on Luke I doubt that he can deliver the same damage as Vitor did.

Pansin ko din Sir... Parang kulang sa kumpyansa kahapon... Ayun tulog...

Aldo looked more like he was under pressure to win as opposed to just focus on the fight like it was any other fight. Being hailed as the best pound for pound fighter and having no losses yet in the UFC coming into the fight. It might have gotten to his head a little bit that's probably what got him distracted as well.

As he was lunging in towards Mcgregor. Mcgregor was waiting to place a good precise shot right on the chin. It didn't even look like it was that powerful. Only that it was a well placed shot that cracked Aldo and put him straight to sleep. As he was going down he was able to land a punch on Mcgregor which didn't really do that much damage

Going into the fight Aldo did not demonstrate any Aura of confidence, he stared blankly on the ground while being introduced and during the staredown. That is the first time I have seen him look like that. Disappointing to see that his performance as a champion going into the fight was only worth 13 seconds of our time.

McGreggor's left seems to have that sledgehammer effect when it lands. Although his left on aldo did not have as much wind up (hooks/crosses) nor forward weight (as with straights), the power of the punch was multiplied by aldo's forward movement. Eksakto yung sinabi nyang "precision beats power; timing beats speed". Sam Alvey seems to be another guy who hits the same way. Not much brute torque, volume or weight. Just those two front knuckles that impact so precisely your brain shuts down.

Tumahimik na lang ako bigla sa laban ni Aldo, iniisip ko na siguradong magiging maganda ang laban. Pero kahit sabihin pa man ni Aldo na hindi sya naapektohan sa mga sinabi s kanya ng kalaban, eh halatang-halata n nanggigigil na sya sa umpisa pa lang. Nadala sya talaga s kanyang emotion.

DJ thoroughly dominated Dodson not once but twice.

yeah, Dodson's great but he kinda lost steam even before the second fight with DJ. I think B/R stated that he just went through the motions against Zach Makovsky (had to Wiki it) because he knew he was in line for a title fight.

Also, didn't know Dodson was half-Filipino lol hahaha

If Mcgregor climbs to lightweight, he will have his hands full against Dos Anjos. Dos Anjos striking is topnotch and his ground game is, just like a majority of Brazilian fighters, outstanding. I think Mcgregor will win if the fight remains standing but if the fight goes to the ground, Mcgregor is done. Chad Mendez's ground game is fine but Dos Anjos' ground game is on another level. My take is Dos Anjos will take him down but he will have to set it up with his striking.

I'm a Cowboy fan so I hope Cerrone avenges his previous loss with RDJ, then set up a trilogy.

Frankie Edgar vs Conor looks great on paper as well :D

Robert Downey, Jr.? :lol: Mcgregor has three choices. Aldo, Edgar or the winner of Dos Anjos/Cerrone. If I were Mcgregor, I'd take out Edgar first then go after Dos Anjos or Cerrone. Edgar would be easier to beat than Dos Anjos or Cerrone, in my opinion.

my bad hahaha RDA pala :lol: Was thinking JDS din kasi while typing :P

Speaking of Dos Santos, he'd be fighting Overeem I think

Four reasons why Jon Jones should move to heavyweight on his UFC return

post-481684-0-95815900-1450411700_thumb.jpg

Jon Jones avoided jail time from a hit-and-run incident last April, and was sentenced to just 18 months probation. While the UFC has stated that they plan on doing a formal review first, this basically paves the way for an eventual return for the former top pound-for-pound fighter.

Some have speculated that he will eventually return to face the winner of the upcoming title bout between Daniel Cormier and Alexander Gustafsson, but I believe Jones (and the UFC) should seriously consider a run at heavyweight first. Here are four reasons why he should move up a division upon his return to competition:

IT CAN HELP SHOW THAT HE'S REINVENTING HIMSELF

This may be the least important of all four reasons, but from a marketing perspective, the biggest story line from a return is how Jones gets back on track to reinvent himself after his troubles.

While it's obviously not the same thing, the easiest way to supplement that narrative of change outside the cage, is to show a completely different person inside the cage as well. Instead of looking like the same 'cocky' dominant champ beating on 'shorter, smaller' men, it would be so easy for the UFC to sell him as a ‘new' Jon Jones at heavyweight.

Picture a former champ who is more mature outside the cage, and testing his wares on a completely new division against 'bigger and badder’ opposition inside of it. That would certainly paint a better picture than another grudge match against Cormier, who can possibly bring out that ugly side of Jones. I’m sure the lead up to a rematch is likely to play out differently, but if you’re invested in Jones (e.g. His camp, and the UFC), you don’t want to risk the guy issuing more death threats or getting in brawls when you're trying to clean up his image.

JONES IS A HUGE STAR, BEING A TWO DIVISION CHAMP MAKES HIM A MASSIVE ONE

During his reign, Jones was already considered the top pound-for-pound fighter and one of the biggest and most dominant stars in the sport. It obviously won't be easy to attain, but being a two-division champ will put him in the history books and elevate his star to new heights.

If Jones wants to gain even more traction with casual fans, he should move up and take out one of the name heavyweights, then gun for that belt immediately after.

We've seen this in boxing, and we've seen this in Mixed Martial Arts. Even if he doesn't want to go for the belt, fighting up a division is guaranteed to do much more for his career than rematching another guy in a division he has already cleaned out. Jones has spoken about eventually making that jump multiple times before, and now is the perfect time to do that.

And speaking of heavyweight champs...

HE ALREADY HAS THAT RIVALRY WITH WERDUM

Prior to Jones' last title win against Cormier, he spoke about moving up to heavyweight and said he's confident about beating heavyweights like Fabricio Werdum. Jones said he'd fight him "everyday, all day", prompting a back and forth that had Werdum accepting the challenge, and then even going further to ask for a gym brawl with no time limit.

Since then, Werdum has dominated Cain Velasquez to take his title. Now you have that story line to go with an already intriguing stylistic match up, making it a really marketable fight. Now that Werdum's the undisputed heavyweight champion, there's no better time to put those words into actions.

THIS ALSO GIVES THE LHW DIVISION TIME TO DEVELOP

There's just no reason for Jones to rematch guys who he already beat just yet.

Moving up, even for a couple of fights, lets the light heavyweight division mature and build more stars in his absence. Some hoped that would be the case by now, but let's face it, nobody thinks Daniel Cormier is the real champ just yet. Even DC himself has said as much.

Despite being a stacked card, UFC 187 headlined by Cormier was a box office disappointment, and the same is likely to happen to the upcoming UFC 192 title defense against Gustafsson. 205 used to be the UFC's marquee division, but the fact is, Cormier just hasn't translated in to a draw yet. It's not his fault either. He's just not too far removed from the loss to Jones, and Jon's looming return just kills any chances of that happening.

Let DC, or whoever leaves with the belt, become a bigger star by getting a few more title defenses and getting accepted as a true champ on their own. If he cleans out the top of the division, even better.

In the mean time, Jones can fight Struve to answer silly criticisms about height and reach, or maybe Crocop to get a legend and a suitable tune up bout like Anderson Silva's first contest at 205. It can be against any name fighter, really. If he's impressive enough, Jones can go straight to a title shot against Werdum if he wanted it.

Whether it'd be a temporary move or a legitimate title run, time away from light heavyweight not only helps build his own career, it also helps develop the division and set up more marketable bouts (or rematches) at either weight.

- i think he should move to heavyweight and go up against guys like Dos Santos, Cain and Werdum. it makes for an interesting matchup. I think there's no one in the Light Heavyweight division that can challenge Jones at this point. Even the current champ Cormier couldn't beat him. Its time to move up in weight and get better challengers. Besides i think Cormier is a "paper champion", the real champion is the one who got suspended (Jones). There's really no one in the LHD that can take on Jones right now. I think he might dominate the Heavyweight division too. He has the speed of a LHW coupled with good wrestling skills which is his base

Edited by hahnz