The Car Buying Guide - Brand New Cars

my concern on the mazda3 is they try to be like Honda. parts/service sa kanila lang. Baka maging expensive ang maintenance like the Honda.

Feedback pa sa customer service ng Honda. Hindi sila firm sa commitment on when matatapos ang work. Bigay ng araw ( puwede ka wait the whole day). Compared to Toyota daw.

How about the Chevy Optra or Chevy? How's the after sales/parts support?

my concern on the mazda3 is they try to be like Honda.  parts/service sa kanila lang.  Baka maging expensive ang maintenance like the Honda.

Feedback pa sa customer service ng Honda.  Hindi sila firm sa commitment on when matatapos ang work.  Bigay ng araw ( puwede ka wait the whole day).  Compared to Toyota daw. 

How about the Chevy Optra or Chevy?  How's the after sales/parts support?

wala pa naman akong nagiging problem sa Optra ko, bought it last Dec 2003.Excellent ang kanyang quality, sobrang silent at superb ang suspension and engine.Sa aftersales service, ok na ok! ang problem lng is yung queuing, mrami na kse owners nito,kaya full ang sched.FREE kasi ang Periodic Maintenance Service up to 2 years kaya alang problem. Basta sa GM pasong tamo ako laging pa-service, ok dun.Gas consumtion is quite nominal at 8.5 km/l for this is an automatic on city driving.

Compared with my previous Toyota corolla 1999 GLi, nothing lives up to the standard im enjoying right now with CHEVROLET OPTRA LS.First 2 years ko pa lng sa corolla ko, dami ng nagiging problems, especially sa steering.Therefore,i'm speaking as a satisfied owner,the Optra is the choice right now. :thumbsupsmiley:

The Chevrolet Aveo too is a fine choice for a "swatch"inspired compact car. My cousin has one and also is a big head turner,too. Very practical and affordable at below P590,000. Mas maganda rin ang fuel consumption at 13.5 km/l for it competes on a market dominated by the Jazz.

I believe malaking turnaround ito sa previous mindset natin sa Gm cars. These new generation of Chevrolet cars are truly remarkable. :thumbsupsmiley:

I had a 1996 Civic 1.6VT which I sold in 2002 and I've been driving an altis 1.6G since 2001. I did several aftermarket upgrades on my civic, since I found the stock abit flimsy. I had good power, standing and top-end thanks to a free flow intake and exhaust system, stable ride due to eibach and 17 inch 50-series tyres.

i didnt do aftermarket upgrades on my altis since it came with 15 inch wheels already. power is abit poor even if i switch off econo drive and O/D. topend is hard to reach. so far 160 kph is the fastest i've driven it compared to 190kph on my civic.

i would say that the civic has sporty interiors compared to the altis, especially i am not a guy who likes wood grain finish on the dash board. what i also like about the civic is the flat floor panel on the back seats. in 2001, when i bought the altis, 2 front airbags were standard, 4 wheel discs brakes(which were not there even on the vti-s), aux driving lamps, abs system and cup holders on front and back seats (since my wife, daughter and i would always have a bottle of water or a cup of coffee in hand.)

the best 1.6 sedan you could buy would be the best that would give you the stretch in your budget. after all it's just a car that depreciates over time. it will get scratched, rained on, bumped, dings, etc. i may not go for u.s. brand cars.

good luck.

Edited by masi
my concern on the mazda3 is they try to be like Honda.  parts/service sa kanila lang.  Baka maging expensive ang maintenance like the Honda

If Mazda 3's performance is anything like a Honda Civic then you shouldn't be worried about it's maintenance. Because, aside from the periodic maintenance work, you won't expect any breakdowns from it till you sell it 5-6 years down the road. Kaso nga lang those periodic maintenance check-ups get costly every 40,000 km or so when you will have to change all those belts, filters and brake pads.

On the upside, you can budget your car-related expenses since they come in a relatively regular interval. Walang unexpected expense. Plus I don't bother to check under the hood in between check-ups myself (not even to add water to the radiator) so can do the same too if you're like me- lazy.

What I used to do (sold my honda's already) is I bring my cars in for periodic maintenance with Honda every 10,000 km and bring it to my fave gas station for change oil at every 5,000 in between. With today's cars, you won't have to change oil in between the 10,000 km check-up anymore.

Hope this helps.

BTW, hindi na compact 1.6 L vehicles ang vios and jazz. They are subcompacts that are truly practical.

Never a GM/Opel..... My mom owns a GM vehicle, a 1.6L wagon and it drinks petrol like a thirsty GRO!!!!!!

Being a German company, the parts are simply too expensive.... The blurb on their ad "This could be your first German car" is true... Yes, the doors close lke a Chubb safe but they accelerate like a snail on shabu....

I own a 1996 Honda Civic VTi for 9 years now and I have nary a problem with it.....

So my vote: Honda Civic

Basga when buying don't look at just the present if you'll be keeping the car for a long time. If you are selling cars after usage of 2 years ok cguro bumili ng Optra. Pero if you are planning a long time car. go for corolla, civic or even lancer.