Nba 2016-2017 Season! Let's Get It On!

Eddy Syet

You know the starters for this year’s NBA All-Star Game. Who will be the reserves?

post-481684-0-90559900-1453654362_thumb.jpg

After months of voting, we finally have the 10 names that will be on the court to begin next month’s NBA All-Star Game in Toronto.

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and Kyle Lowry will start for the East, while Stephen Curry, Kobe Bryant, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard will start for the West (though Mavericks center Zaza Pachulia nearly surpassed Leonard in the final days of voting, which would’ve broken the internet for days had it happened).

With those 10 players off the board, that leaves 14 spots available to fill out the respective rosters. So who will the coaches tap to fill them when their choices are revealed later this month? Here are our picks if we had the final say on who should make the team.

(We’re making these picks using the same requirements that the coaches will have: two guards, three frontcourt players and two wild card selections.

Eastern Conference

Guards

John Wall, Washington

The Wizards haven’t been great this season, but Wall has been outstanding ever since recovering from some injuries during a slow opening month. Since Dec. 1, though, Wall has put up the following numbers: 21.9 points, 4.6 rebounds, 10.7 assists, 2.2 steals while shooting 45 percent overall and 38.1 percent from 3-point range. Open-and-shut case.

Jimmy Butler, Chicago

One of the many weird dynamics with the Bulls these days is that Jimmy Butler has ascended past Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah to become the face of the franchise. Butler has become an unquestioned All-Star around the league in the process with his ability to impact the game at both ends.

Frontcourt

Andre Drummond, Detroit

Drummond may not be able to make free throws, but he’s becoming a dominant force at center for the Pistons. The 22-year-old is a massive human being, and is putting that size to good use by averaging 17.6 points and 15.4 rebounds per game.

I thought i'd add this remix that was cooked up by the Pistons Marketing group for fans to vote for Drummond in the all star game. Obama x Eminem - Forgot about Dre' (Remix) which i thought was really funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gByb6QUdYNI

Chris Bosh, Miami

Bosh probably would be happier if LeBron James had remained in Miami, since the Heat would still be more realistic title contenders then. But James leaving South Florida has forced the people who’d forgotten just how talented Bosh is to remember it once again.

Paul Millsap, Atlanta

Millsap flies under the radar, just as the entire Hawks team does, but he’s putting together yet another awesome season – averaging 18.5 points and 8.7 rebounds while shooting 49 percent and getting to the foul line six times per game.

Wild cards

DeMar DeRozan, Toronto

Raptors fans will be thrilled. Not only do they get Lowry in as a starter, but they should get DeRozan in the game, as well. A true throwback, DeRozan is a shooting guard that isn’t a 3-point shooter, but still is an efficient player because he gets to the foul line over eight times per game.

Pau Gasol, Chicago

This final spot could go a few different ways, as with Kyrie Irving coming back from injury there’s a clear opening here. The nod, though, goes to Gasol, who has been a constant in Chicago amidst a lot of uncertainty and confusion within that franchise at the moment.

Honorable mentions: Isaiah Thomas, Boston; Reggie Jackson, Detroit

Western Conference

Guards

Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers

Paul may be beginning to decline just slightly as he enters his 30s, but his numbers under those circumstances – 18.2 points, 9.6 assists and 2.1 steals – are better ones than almost any point guard ever could dream of having in their best seasons.

Klay Thompson, Golden State

Like Wall, Thompson was banged up early in the season but has taken off since the start of December. In 23 games over the past two months, he’s averaging 24 points per game and shooting 43.3 percent from 3-point range while playing excellent defense on the wings for the Warriors.

Frontcourt

Draymond Green, Golden State

Green was just edged out by Leonard for the final starting spot in the West, but is an easy choice as the first big man off the bench. A unique weapon at both ends of the court, Green is not only a point guard on offense, averaging over seven assists, but he’s capable of guarding every spot on the court defensively.

DeMarcus Cousins, Sacramento

Cousins has become the NBA’s best center, and is keeping the dysfunctional Kings within shouting distance of the eighth and final playoff spot in the West. When Cousins has played, the Kings are 17-16. When he doesn’t, they are 1-7.

Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers

Griffin has missed a few weeks due to injury, but is about to return. And given his ridiculous numbers (23.2 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 50.8 percent shooting), it’s hard to make the case he should stay home because he missed some time.

Wild cards

Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas

While Kobe Bryant may be getting a deserved trip to the game as a farewell gesture via the voters, Nowitzki deserves one for remaining one of the league’s outstanding performers. The Mavericks are somehow right in the thick of the West playoff picture, and that’s because of Nowitzki remaining capable of creating an efficient offense no matter who is playing around him.

Anthony Davis, New Orleans

The Pelicans have been one of the NBA’s most disappointing teams this season – maybe it’s most disappointing – but Davis remains a terrific player, averaging 23.1 points, 10.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks. This spot could easily wind up going to someone like James Harden or LaMarcus Aldridge, but will give the nod to Davis.

Honorable mention: James Harden, Houston; LaMarcus Aldridge, San Antonio

Edited by hahnz

east: kevin love, hassan whiteside, jeff teague.. wala?!?! best record in the east - cavs, u have to put at least 2 players in, kevin love is the next best to lebron james, well, maybe kyrie, but he was injured. hassan whiteside, brought gave miami rebounding and league leading shot blocking.. hes got to be here.. jeff teague, because of there better record, but john wall is still the better player.

west: marc gasol wala? he was a starter last year... but hes numbes are down from last year.. so, not surprised.

well, counter-argument to that idea: the Cavs are the best in the East but it's not because they have two efficient all-stars. LeBron's efficient (though his 5 TO game tonight hurt my fantasy team) but K-Love isn't. He's underutilized as the season went on. Teague got hurt mid-season. If you follow Chuck's analysis of Whiteside, he's inconsistent as well. So yeah, Wall > Teague, Pau > Whitesite and Love. I really want IT there. And DeRozan looks like he's gonna be there too.

Yeah I'm hoping Gasol gets picked. But the Grit and Grind Grizz are getting Old and Boring.

And for today's game: I hope the Spurs win. Bawas bandwagoners lang ng Dub Nation hahaha :lol:

can we say that the first GSW-SAS game a telltale sign of things to come: that GSW would run roughshod over the West en route to back-to-back championships?

I think the Spurs got taken out of their game early so they kinda lost composure. I still believe Pop could do something in a series. If they do meet in the West Finals, I'd say the Spurs win it in six

When Pop announced that Tim Duncan won't play against the Warriors. I kind of felt letdown, and i was right. Pop treated this like it was a regular season game like the rest. A game to test out some matchups. One other thing i noticed is how sloppy the spurs played this game. These turnovers were self inflicted and unforced, it wasn't Spurs basketball as far as how sloppy they were turning the ball over. Anyway, they will play 3 more times this season, Another thing i noticed is that Pop even got to make a joke about the loss (referencing the Cavs firing David Blatt) after they were blown out by the Warriors. I believe Pop will have no problem in finding ways to make adjustments and how to play this Warriors team. I think he held out a lot even with certain sets.

Aldridge was a glaring non factor in this game and Pop will certainly make adjustments to that. I'm sure they will see a lot in the gamefilm and how to play Green, because i think he is the key in stopping the flow of the Warriors offense.

The Spurs will be fine. Another game in the season for them.

The starting lineups for the 2016 NBA All-Star game are voted on by the fans, but the reserves are selected by the coaches from each conference. And with the game a little more than two weeks away, we finally have a complete look at each team's roster.

The official announcement came Thursday night live on TNT, so here are the reserves for each conference.

The starters were announced earlier this month. Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard made the cut for the West, and Dwyane Wade, Kyle Lowry, LeBron James, Paul George and Carmelo Anthony were the ones the fans selected to represent the East.

As always, there were other worthy candidates. Dirk Nowitzki and Damian Lillard immediately come to mind as deserving of spots in the West, and Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker and Pau Gasol are among those who probably had a claim to a spot on the roster in the East.

But there are legitimate reasons for including some and excluding others, and it's difficult to find fault in anyone the coaches ultimately named to the rosters.

With Draymond Green and Klay Thompson picked Thursday, the NBA champion Golden State Warriors have three All-Stars for the first time in 40 years.

Sacramento's DeMarcus Cousins, Houston's James Harden, San Antonio's LaMarcus Aldridge, the Clippers' Chris Paul and New Orleans' Anthony Davis were also chosen for the West squad for the Feb. 14 game in Toronto.

The Raptors' DeMar DeRozan will represent the home team and is joined by fellow East reserves Chicago's Jimmy Butler, Detroit's Andre Drummond, Miami's Chris Bosh, Washington's John Wall, Atlanta's Paul Millsap and Boston's Isaiah Thomas.

The reserves were selected by the head coaches in each conference, who had to vote for seven players: two guards, three frontcourt players and two additional players at any position. They were not allowed to vote for players from their own team.

The coaches made Green a first-time selection and picked Thompson for the second year in a row. With Curry voted a starter by fans, the Warriors have three All-Stars for the first time since Rick Barry, Phil Smith and Jamaal Wilkes in 1976.

"It's definitely something I could've never imagined happening," Green said during an interview with TNT. "It's been a lifelong dream of mine to one day see that happen, but I could never imagine it happening like this."

Along with Green, who leads the NBA with eight triple-doubles, Drummond and Thomas were selected by coaches for their first All-Star Game. Drummond tops the league in rebounding and double-doubles, while Thomas, the 60th and final pick in the 2011 draft, is among the NBA's top 12 in scoring and assists.

On the other end, Bosh will return to his original NBA city after being chosen for his 11th consecutive All-Star Game, trailing only the Lakers' Kobe Bryant (18), Cleveland's LeBron James and Miami's Dwyane Wade (both with 12) among active players. Paul is an All-Star for the ninth straight year.

West coaches passed on Lillard, who is in the NBA's top seven in scoring and assists for a Portland team that is surprisingly in playoff position, but there appeared no obvious snubs in either conference.

DeRozan joins Lowry to comprise the first starting backcourt to play an All-Star Game in its home city since the Los Angeles Lakers' Jerry West and Gail Goodrich in 1972.

DeRozan said it was a big moment because of how much pride he has in playing for the Raptors, who have won 10 straight games.

"And now to have the All-Star Game here and have two guys participating, it doesn't get much bigger than that," DeRozan said. "It's definitely a blessing. I have to credit the coaching staff and my teammates for helping me and Kyle get to this point."

Any players who have to withdraw because of injury would be replaced by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.

San Antonio's Gregg Popovich will coach the West and Cleveland's Tyronn Lue leads the East. If a starter is injured, they would select the replacement in the lineup.

Again, I feel like Klay Thompson's all-star case this year is overrated. Moreover, AD got the "superstar call" (or a name recall pick) for this year's selection as Damian Lillard's producing better numbers. LMA also got a superstar call, though the Spurs own the second-best record in the league. As for the East, Pau Gasol should be there before Bosh but I can't argue much about Bosh's numbers given that he was present when the other Heat starters have taken time off due to injuries.

NBA Rumors: Latest Trade Buzz Surrounding Greg Monroe, David Lee and More

Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos might hold most of the headlines right now, but the upcoming NBA trade deadline has plenty to say about how long the NFL can remain in the position.

So it goes when big names such as Blake Griffin, Greg Monroe and David Lee continue to come up in trade rumblings.

With the trade deadline on February 18, it was only a matter of time before a wild amount of rumors crept out of the woodwork. Rebuilders have players on the trade block, contenders want to find the proverbial missing piece and the wild intricacies of the cap system have every team pondering its current and future situation.

With those details in mind, here's the latest buzz making the rounds on the mill.

Greg Monroe Available?

post-481684-0-58460600-1454950755_thumb.jpg

The idea that the Milwaukee Bucks might want to sell at the deadline isn't the craziest.

After all, the Bucks sit at 20-32 and 13th in the Eastern Conference with the core of Michael Carter-Williams, Khris Middleton and Giannis Antetokounmpo not doing much in the way of helping the team win games.

It comes as a surprise, though, to hear that the team might be willing to move center Greg Monroe, as Gery Woelfel of the Journal Times noted recently: "Carter-Williams isn’t the only frontline player the Bucks are apparently willing to move. A much bigger surprise is the Bucks have made known that center Greg Monroe is available at the right price, according to some NBA officials."

In fact, the Bucks are known for surprises as of late. Dishing Brandon Knight last year certainly doesn't look good. Getting Monroe on board in the first place was a surprise.

The addition simply hasn't worked out from a chemistry standpoint, though. The Georgetown product averages 16.5 points, 9.6 rebounds and 0.9 blocks per game and a player efficiency rating (PER) of 23.09, according to ESPN.com.

But the fit just hasn't worked on the defensive end of the court. Jabari Parker isn't exactly the biggest power forward, so Monroe's issues in that regard have made the Bucks an absolutely miserable team to watch on defense.

The Bucks are smart to do this if the rumors prove true. Backup John Henson is a much better defender in the paint and makes more sense alongside Parker. Monroe, on the other hand, will fetch a nice price from a buyer given his numbers and upside. It's certainly one of the top situations to watch.

Teams Asking About Blake Griffin?

post-481684-0-45076000-1454950851_thumb.jpg

Let's get this out of the way—the Los Angeles Clippers, so far as anyone can tell, haven't placed Griffin on the trade block.

The off-court issues surrounding the team won't stop others from asking, of course.

By now, most should know the deal with Griffin and the Clippers, but here's a brief summary: Griffin hurt his hand punching a staff member and friend, an injury that might sideline him until the postseason.

To make matters worse for the relationship, there is plenty of merit to the argument that the Clippers have been better with Griffin on the bench, though his repeated absences due to injury haven't helped the team past fourth place in the Western Conference, clearly leagues behind the Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs and Oklahoma City Thunder.

Add it all up, and one has a situation in which it only makes sense for teams around the league to ask a few questions. According to Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times, they have done just that:

As Bolch notes, the Clippers don't seem to have interest in a deal. Why would they? Griffin is still 26 years old and averages 23.2 points and 8.7 rebounds per game. The hope for head coach Doc Rivers and the front office has to be that the team can remain afloat until he returns for a potential playoff push.

The opposite is simple. If the Clippers continue to fall apart and there has been irreparable damage between Griffin and the organization, he'll surely hit the trade block before Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan. He's a guy without a jump shot who relies on energy and athleticism to post his numbers, which makes him a niche player with an intriguing stopwatch on his abilities.

Undoubtedly, teams such as the Philadelphia 76ers would be all about shoring up a position of need to build around. Los Angeles might not have an interest now, but much can change on the sprint to the deadline.

Celtics Shopping David Lee

The Boston Celtics find themselves in a great position at 31-22 and third place in the Eastern Conference, recently surging past the plummeting Atlanta Hawks.

Success won't stop general manager Danny Ainge and the team from working the trade phones, though.

The biggest topic around the Celtics right now isn't about what the team might bring up, but what it might unload. Specifically, the team and Lee have an interest in parting ways, according to Bleacher Report's Howard Beck, who also explained how Lee continues to handle the situation:

It doesn't sound like there's much in the way of a disgruntled relationship here. After all, Lee has been through this before. The Warriors cut his minutes to an average of 18.4 per game last year, down from 33.2 the year prior.

So Lee did what any veteran who wants to contribute did and found his way to Boston, where he thought he might have a bigger role while contending for the playoffs. Instead, he's averaging just 15.7 minutes while acting as a mentor off the bench.

It's hard to know who, if anyone, has a role for the 32-year-old forward at this point. When he last posted starter minutes on an average of 33.2, he managed 18.2 points and 9.3 rebounds. That was a few years ago, though, and a team that might come calling about his services could be more interested in the fact he's a valuable expiring contract.

Lee is at a bit of a crossroads. A contender might emerge and decide it needs him in the rotation down the stretch. But right now he's viewed more as an asset because of his contractual situation, for better or worse.

Regardless, the Celtics are helping Lee find a better situation. Look for this situation to keep gaining steam as the march to the deadline continues.

Edited by hahnz