• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Today's music is garbage

ricardo23

Nope. Not subjective. There's crap music and then there's art, and I don't know what the hell today's music is but it sure ain't art.

I can't be the only one who thinks One Direction, Justin Bieber, 5 Seconds of Summer and the like are just tired rehashes of the 90's blonde-and-tanned boyband era.

And that Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj, and all these new up-and-coming artists are just too close for comfort to their influences who were successful because they were innovators.

I can't believe how difficult good music comes by nowadays. It took me months to discover Channel Orange, D'Angelo or even Sunbather!

I guess underground is the way to go for the rest of us with seasoned ears.

• 2 weeks later...

singers.. musicians.. technicians are superior than the past decades.. look at Lady Gaga at the Academy awards... at Miley Cyrus when she's singing and not undressing..at the winners of reality contests like the Voice.. American Idol..and other talents shows..etc.. The problem lies with the songs being written today.. Too much emotion..BUT TOO LITTLE OR NO MELODY AT ALL.. try humming or whistling their tune.. impossible.. too many lyrics..not enough music to carry it through.. computers are the bane??? not at all.. it's the musicians total dependence on them that is the culprit.. The Grammy's have noticed the lethargy that is the music scene of today.. A good example would be Adele (she's a great singer.. in any musical era) award-winning rendition of the James Bond theme SKYFALL.. it was old school keeping to tradition of all the previous Bond themes.. THEN CAME . LET IT GO from Frozen,, it won the award.. but was it memorable..??? hardly..

singers.. musicians.. technicians are superior than the past decades.. look at Lady Gaga at the Academy awards... at Miley Cyrus when she's singing and not undressing..at the winners of reality contests like the Voice.. American Idol..and other talents shows..etc.. The problem lies with the songs being written today.. Too much emotion..BUT TOO LITTLE OR NO MELODY AT ALL.. try humming or whistling their tune.. impossible.. too many lyrics..not enough music to carry it through.. computers are the bane??? not at all.. it's the musicians total dependence on them that is the culprit.. The Grammy's have noticed the lethargy that is the music scene of today.. A good example would be Adele (she's a great singer.. in any musical era) award-winning rendition of the James Bond theme SKYFALL.. it was old school keeping to tradition of all the previous Bond themes.. THEN CAME . LET IT GO from Frozen,, it won the award.. but was it memorable..??? hardly..

That may be the case if you limit your references to the US music industry.

If you listen to UK bands, it's a whole new different story

• 4 weeks later...