• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

San Antonio Spurs

Labuyo

partly. The fact that the Spurs went with the Dubs' pace didn't help them as well.

I think it wont help the spurs even if tim duncan plays. IMHO, the matchup is overrated, madami nagsasabi na spurs ang magtutumba sa warriors and this game proves that the warriors are too much for the spurs. The dubs exploited their weakness on both ends. But it's just me, give them a 7 game series to prove their worth. But for now, im not buying the spurs-gsw matchup.

Positive and Negatives of Last Nights game

First the negatives:

1. TP needs to stop trying to match Curry on offense. He kept on making mistakes and literally cost the Spurs the game in the 1st half. TP needs to realized he is past his prime and needs to stop be the focal point of the offense and to keep his ego in check.

2. LMA should be schooling Green. Grant it, Green gets away with A LOT of fouls, most noticeable one is when he tugs on someone posting him throwing them off balance. He did that like 5+ times and the refs only called him on one. But still LMA, has schooled Green in the past. LMA needs to get his s@%t together.

3. Turnovers. 20+ is unacceptable.

4. TP needs to be limited against GS. He is a defensive liability and Pop needs to pull the plug on him next game early.

5. Quit doubling. Only Curry needs a double team put even then don't. In a 7 games series he will wear himself out playing like last night. Just like Amare avg 39 ppg I believe on series against the Spurs, let Curry have his and SHUT EVERYONE ELSE DOWN.

6. Refs. Pop needs to send the film to the league office. Moving Screens, Handchecking, and Pushing off. Even OKC doesn't get away with how much GS got away with last night.

Positive:

1. Spurs have two players that can guard Curry very well in Kawhi and Simmons. Curry should have been called for pushing off like 4-5x times last night, I'm not joking. That s@%t is an offensive foul. You can't knock either one that the refs were letting Curry get away with it last night. Even Patty did a good job. Curry scored like 2/3 of his points with Parker guarding him.

2. I think Pop found the perfect lineup to match GS small ball. Manu, Butler, Simmons, Kawhi and Diaw let that comeback before the half, cutting 8 points off the GS lead. The size and quickness of that lineup really bother GS from where I was sitting. Pop didn't play that lineup at all in the 2nd half for some reason. I guess he saw all he needed in those 3 minutes.

3. Boban is the man. There is nobody on the GS roster that can guard him. Boban should have had like 20 points last night but the Spurs weren't feeding him the ball enough. I love the particular one, where Boban is deep on Speights, McCallum resume not to pass it to him but crosses over and takes an ill advised jumper. Boban against 3 warriors, bats the ball back out to McCallum. McCallum is open at the 3 point line and NOW resumes to pass it back to Boban whose TRIPLED TEAM in the paint. I was like s@%t, ARE YOU FOR REAL. Speights got 5 fouls guarding Boban and he should have had like 8 for those 3 OBVIOUS push offs that the refs didn't call.

4. Spurs really didn't show anything. They ran basic offensive sets. They shot one corner 3 all game. They ONLY design play I could really see was out of a timeout and the Spurs ran a double pick for patty at the top of the key. Honestly, with how aggressive the GS was last night, the Spurs could have done that one play ALL GAME and scored at will against GS. Running that play and then seeing the Spurs resuming their pass around the perimeter play just show me that was showing GS anything at this point.

5. Game film. That is the bread and butter of the Spurs success. I hate it, but Pop throws games like these. He ran a bunch of flukely lineups last night. Didn't pull Parker when his ass was getting handed to him by Curry. If this was the playoffs, there is no doubt in my mind Parker wouldn't have played a minute in the 2nd half last night, much like game 6 against OKC 2 years ago when WB has handing Parker his ass. But the

6. LMA should have a fire lit under him. This is going to show what LMA is truly made of. If I was him I would be pissed. A game like this was what LMA needed to get him going again. I guarantee when he watches the film again and sees foul machine Green acting like his usual punk self, its going to piss him off.

Gregg Popovich takes loss to Warriors well, fires shots at Cavaliers

Following a 30-point loss to the Golden State Warriors in a highly anticipated regular-season matchup between two historic teams, the San Antonio Spurs coach wasn't happy but he also wasn't devastated. In fact, he joked with reporters that "we almost got them" referring to the Warriors and then took a shot at the Cleveland Cavaliers and the way they handled the David Blatt situation and firing. From Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express-News:

"We almost got them," Gregg Popovich began.

He was just warming up. "My opening comment here will be," he said, "I'm just glad my general manager wasn't in the locker room, because it might have gotten me fired."

Told of that, R.C. Buford had his own line:

"We'll see how Wednesday goes."

Spurs executive R.C. Buford piling on to the joke there certainly adds a bit more.

Watching the game against the Warriors. The Spurs didn't look like the team who won 13 straight games before they lost this one. Anyone who actually know how the game of basketball is played knows, that this was not how the Spurs played, not even close. Careless self inflicted turnovers were one of them. It wasn't what the Warriors were doing that affected them, it was more on what the Spurs did wrong. Sloppy play killed the Spurs here. It felt more like Pop was trying to feel out this game by trying certain matchups putting certain players together to see how they would work. If he wanted to really test the Warriors he would have played Duncan, but once i saw that he held Duncan out of this game i kind of knew that this wouldn't be the kind of game the Spurs were going to play all out, given the fact that they will have to play each other 3 more times in the season. Pop wasn't even all that grouchy as per his usual demeanor when it came to the questions in the media after the loss. I think the Spurs will be fine. I guess the one thing that i was a little bit annoyed with was with Aldridge's play. How could he just let Draymond Green embarass him like that. Pop is a master at getting his message across when one of his players gets outplayed this badly. In fact, i like the way the Warriors beat them this bad. It will only fuel the media to go put focus and exposure to the Warriors. Come playoff time, everyone will know, why the Spurs are the Spurs.

Spurs Vs Rockets thoughts http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/black_downward_arrow.png

1) Starting Kyle was interesting. It goes against the grain of what we've been doing all year. I wonder if this was an adjustment in preparation for the Warriors. Either way he played very well. On offense he played within himself and made plays. On defense, he was crafty, although it was easy to hide him with non penetrating threats. It was when we played him against capela that I was really watching. He played smart with box outs and fouling when he was beat.

2) was it just the lineup or did it seem we were playing at a faster pace. Thoughts here

3) watching Duncan on the bench gave me some hope that he'll still be with the team when he retires. He's so much of a gamer it might be attractive. He looked really involved and his mere presence made a difference.

4) Aldridge had a bounce back game and that was promising. Watching him play against Howard as center made me come to a realization that if he wants to be tougher he needs to grind against players like Howard, and Jordan, and Drummond. He's not gonna overcome his weakness by taking the easy way out. Him wanting to not play center may be the problem. He has the size to play center and he needs that imo. But, as a defender he lacks the instincts of a Duncan. Many times tonight he stunted and didn't try to alter shots. I understand he was trying to not let Howard go off but there were times he could of made more of an impact.

5) overall great bounce back game. Very dominant and focused. Good sign. Seems we have gotten over the Houston hump. Really liked the small ball and developing Kyle there. Curious not to see juice tonight but green was hitting so we didn't need him. Still think the bench lacked energy without any of the Kyle, juice, boban three.

The NBA announced on Wednesday that San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich will be coaching the 2016 Western Conference All-Star team. This will mark the fourth time Popovich has coached in the All-Star Game.

San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich will coach the Western Conference All-Stars in the 2016 NBA All-Star Game, to be televised by TNT at 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, Feb. 14 from Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

Head coaches whose teams have the best records in each conference following the games played two weeks prior to the All-Star Game serve as the All-Star Game head coaches, but no head coach is allowed to participate in two consecutive All-Star Games.

Interim head coach Luke Walton led the Golden State Warriors to a 39-4 record in the season's first 43 games prior to the Jan. 22 return of head coach Steve Kerr. Despite Golden State holding the conference's best record (41-4, .911), Kerr is ineligible for the coaching honor because he led last year's West All-Stars. Popovich's Spurs (38-7, .844) have clinched the next best record in the Western Conference, earning the five-time NBA Champion his fourth nod as the head coach of the West.

The 2016 All-Star Game will take place on Sunday, Feb. 14 in Toronto.

A team trainer and teammate Tim Duncan helped Ginobili to the locker room late in the fourth quarter after the guard collapsed to the court and doubled over in pain from an apparent knee to the groin area from New Orleans' Ryan Anderson. The Pelicans power forward was whistled on the play for an offensive foul.

Several Spurs and team personnel quickly rushed to check on Ginobili before helping the guard to his feet. Ginobili took a few steps, and nearly collapsed again, before a trainer and Duncan were able to walk him to the locker room.

"I don't want to joke with that," point guard Tony Parker said when asked about Ginobili's condition Wednesday. "It doesn't look good."

Added guard Danny Green: "Hopefully Manu's OK."

Spurs power forward David West said he thought Ginobili would be fine. But immediately after the game, none of the Spurs knew the extent of Ginobili's injury.

"I have no clue," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "I haven't seen him. He wasn't in the locker room, I don't think. I don't know what the hell happened."

The Spurs entered Thursday in second place in the Western Conference with a 41-8 record, four games behind the Golden State Warriors. Ginobili is averaging 10.0 points, 3.3 assists and 3.0 rebounds per game, sparking a bench that now likely will turn to rookie wing Jonathon Simmons for more minutes and energy.

The Spurs also have been without Duncan, who has a sore knee. He's missed the past five games and was ruled out for Friday's matchup against the Dallas Mavericks. Popovich hasn't ruled out the possibility of keeping Duncan sidelined through the Feb. 14 All-Star Game.