Free-Will or Pre-Destination?

Whenever one prays the "Our Father" and one recites "thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven", he/she advertently casts his vote for pre-destination. Because the word "thy" refers to God. God's will, not free will, reigns. Pre-destination is God's will. It was God's will that Judas betray Christ. Judas was pre-ordained to betray Christ before he was even born. He had no say in the matter. God chose him/pre-ordained him to fulfill the scriptures.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Doesn't matter. Whether you think events happen as a result of man's free will / action, or because it has been pre-determined by a Higher Being, is irrelevant. In the first place, there is no possible way to determine with certainty which is which and time travel, as of this day, is nothing but fantasy.

There is only this truth: What happened, happened, and could not have happened any other way.

1377945970[/url]' post='8853497']

Doesn't matter. Whether you think events happen as a result of man's free will / action, or because it has been pre-determined by a Higher Being, is irrelevant. In the first place, there is no possible way to determine with certainty which is which and time travel, as of this day, is nothing but fantasy.

There is only this truth: What happened, happened, and could not have happened any other way.

hmm, kinda like what Morpheus said to Neo/Mr. anderson in "The Matrix".

• Like (+1) 1
  • 1 month later...

Free will or destiny? Either way there's a sense of truth either way.

Free will as a means we are in control. But in reality what we have is the freedom to choose. Our choice had always been to be with God or not. We can choose which school, job, food to eat, etc., but the reality is those choices are as irrelevant as the choice between our Creator or our own self gratification.

Destiny, yes there is such a thing. When we were created we were always destined to be with God. He created us out of love and selflessness that He gave us everything, but it changed when we chose pride which started from the serpents temptation of Eve and until now where we continue to choose what our eyes could only see.

Free will and destiny. Believe me when I say they come hand in hand. We can either choose our own destiny or choose the destiny. God has prepared for us.

Always remember that man can choose his own destiny, but sometimes it is destiny that makes a man.

• 3 months later...

Life is a combination of free will and destiny. Things that come And people you meet along the road of life are predetermined but how you manage to turn and drive the story of your life all depends on free will. It is like a choose your own adventure thing.you make your own plot but the characters are predetermined.

• 6 months later...

If God is all knowing and knows the future, then we must agree that pre-destination trumps free will. Becasue God know the future, He knew that the passengers on Malaysian Flight17 were doomed to moment they boarded that plane. God knew ahead of time that these people were going to die in a few hours. There's no denying that. Because if He did not know, then he's not all knowing. And if he's not all knowing, God isn't perfect after all.

But we all know that God represents perfection Since he's perfect, he knows all things, past, present and future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The two concepts (i.e. predestination and free will) had long been disputed over the years now. Whether one is true over the other and vice versa is something that anyone has to fully understand especially if we talk about a perfect balance between predestination (by God) and free will (our own choices) for that matter. Yes, I take this as there is no contradiction between the two concepts. Though both are seemingly contradictory concepts, they can be true simultaneously. So it is wise to say that we are predestined to have free will, to do good things. (Ephesians 2:10) Our life is not an accident (Psalm 139:16)

Both Can Be True Logically

Logic says a thing and its opposite cannot both be true (A and -A). The Bible says God predestined everything, and it never says He did not (A and -A). The Bible says people have free will, and it never says they do not (B and -A ). Predestination is what God does (A). Free will is what man does ( B ). So there is no contradiction here. Putting these two together is simply an area where we do not have enough knowledge (see Deuteronomy 29:29).

Related link

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 months later...

If I may and in support of a number prior posts. God has given us free will thus we create our own destiny. It is also His will for us to prosper through His Son and with the help of the Holy Spirit. Now regardless of what choice we make, He has foreknowledge of the end result (i.e. our 'destiny'). Even if we choose to disobey Him doesn't mean He loves us any less, in fact, He always gives us ample opportunity to choose Him again. His will is for our best interest - we are after all made unto His image.

My 2 cents.

Clarification and correction. Our God given 'destiny' is our purpose in life. We may choose to embrace and accept it and be 'happy' or choose not to accept it which is the extent of our free will.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Neither... life experiences has thought me not to hinge my hopes of redemption or salvation on such things. Everyone has their own beliefs and hopes and I respect that. I do not strive to be sinless or guiltless but only to be a good human being to another person as best as a I could... Peace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

we don't have either.

if we sit down and do nothing, well, anything pre determined will never happen. one suicide then is gone.

freewill as well. we have options but not everything is on the table. freewill means you can do what you want. try banging the car infront of you. try taking a bread from the bakeshop. try to step out of the office during working hours.

resign and be free! correct, but that wont go far after you run out of cash.

so neither...

we live our lives with the options that open, that are available, that is possible for us. we cannot be all like bill gates or everyone becomes neil Armstrong or Michael Jordan. we live as what lines are possible to walk on...

our lives will be what we do today that hopefully transcends into the future.