• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Larry Legend or King James

dfgvan

• 2 weeks later...

Larry Bird never joined forces with superstars to win a championship. Lechoke went to Miami to win a championship. How desperate and pathetic.

Larry Bird was lucky to be drafted by Red Auerbach, Boston Celtics. Red is considered to be brightest mind in basketball surrounded Bird with the right pieces enabling him to win multiple championships. On the other hand, James had a terrible supporting cast and equally terrible front office during his first stint in Cleveland. I cannot blame LBJ for taking matters into his own hands. If James was drafted by competent front office in a big market team, I'm sure he'll have a different narrative. If I'm not mistaken Wilt had to move teams to win his first NBA championship.

Edited by red60

Larry Bird was lucky to be drafted by Red Auerbach, Boston Celtics. Red is considered to be brightest mind in basketball surrounded Bird with the right pieces enabling him to win multiple championships. On the other hand, James had a terrible supporting cast and equally terrible front office during his first stint in Cleveland. I cannot blame LBJ for taking matters into his own hands. If James was drafted by competent front office in a big market team, I'm sure he'll have a different narrative. If I'm not mistaken Wilt had to move teams to win his first NBA championship.

Actually, pare, the season before Larry came along, the Cs were 29-53 and did not qualify for the playoffs. When Larry came on board with him as the only addition to that 29-53 squad, the Cs were the best team in the NBA in the regular season at 60-22 but lost to the seasoned Sixers in the ECF. James didn't even qualify for the playoffs in his rookie season.

Actually, pare, the season before Larry came along, the Cs were 29-53 and did not qualify for the playoffs. When Larry came on board with him as the only addition to that 29-53 squad, the Cs were the best team in the NBA in the regular season at 60-22 but lost to the seasoned Sixers in the ECF. James didn't even qualify for the playoffs in his rookie season.

How old was Larry Bird when he entered the NBA? 22 or 23? How old was Lebron? 18? I don't think it's fair to expect an 18 year old to carry a sh*t team to the playoffs. Bird having played in college for 4 years is obviously more mature physically and mentally. It's no secret that HS-graduate teenagers entering in the NBA tend to struggle. I thought Lebron was phenomenal considering his age. Furthermore, 29-53 squad was suppose to get Larry Bird but since Bird opted to finish college, Celtics didn't get a draft pick that year.

How old was Larry Bird when he entered the NBA? 22 or 23? How old was Lebron? 18? I don't think it's fair to expect an 18 year old to carry a sh*t team to the playoffs. Bird having played in college for 4 years is obviously more mature physically and mentally. It's no secret that HS-graduate teenagers entering in the NBA tend to struggle. I thought Lebron was phenomenal considering his age. Furthermore, 29-53 squad was suppose to get Larry Bird but since Bird opted to finish college, Celtics didn't get a draft pick that year.

He was purported to be the savior of the Cavs. Ok, let us say James finished college. Would he have been able to carry that Cavs team to the best record in the NBA, let alone the ECF in his rookie season?

Anyway, I posted an article comparing James and Bird in the Boston Celtics thread.

Edited by will robie

He was purported to be the savior of the Cavs. Ok, let us say James finished college. Would he have been able to carry that Cavs team to the best record in the NBA, let alone the ECF in his rookie season?

Anyway, I posted an article comparing James and Bird in the Boston Celtics thread.

At age 22 Lebron was already averaging 30-7-7. Can he reach the ECF? IMHO with a good supporting cast, yes. I want to make a point here. Larry Bird won championships because of Celtic's legendary front office making all those savvy moves. If Bird was drafted by a mediocre franchise could he have won all those titles? :rolleyes: Michael Jordan is perhaps the best example. He was so dominant individually but had to wait for 6 years before the front office can build around him. Cavaliers had an inept front office in his first stint with Cavs yet somehow James was able to reach the NBA finals. The best teammate he had was probably Ilgauskas. Nasaan ang hustisya? Dude think about it the BEST teammate he had in his first stint was Ilgauskas :lol:

Edited by red60

At age 22 Lebron was already averaging 30-7-7. Can he reach the ECF? IMHO with a good supporting cast, yes. I want to make a point here. Larry Bird won championships because of Celtic's legendary front office making all those savvy moves. If Bird was drafted by a mediocre franchise could he have won all those titles? Michael Jordan is perhaps the best example. He was so dominant individually but had to wait for 6 years before the front office can build around him. Cavaliers had an inept front office in his first stint with Cavs yet somehow James was able to reach the NBA finals. The best teammate he had was probably Ilgauskas. Nasaan ang hustisya? Dude think about it the BEST teammate he had in his first stint was Ilgauskas

Speaking of mediocre franchises, Larry Bird got into a mediocre franchise with him as the only addition to that miserable 29-53 team and led them to the best record in the NBA, 60-22, an improvement of 31 games, and to the ECF in his rookie season. Larry did not have a great supporting cast, by the way. Can you name another rookie who did that? Lebron James didn't even qualify for the playoffs in his first two seasons.

Yes, Red Auerbach was a genius of a GM but what happened in 1977-78 and 1978-79, back to back seasons when Boston didn't even qualify for the playoffs? Pat Riley is a genius of a GM but why were there seasons when Miami didn't even qualify for the playoffs?

Yes, James was dominant individually but did he make his team mates better than what Bird did?

Edited by will robie

Speaking of mediocre franchises, Larry Bird got into a mediocre franchise with him as the only addition to that miserable 29-53 team and led them to the best record in the NBA, 60-22, an improvement of 31 games, and to the ECF in his rookie season. Larry did not have a great supporting cast, by the way. Can you name another rookie who did that? Lebron James didn't even qualify for the playoffs in his first two seasons.

Yes, Red Auerbach was a genius of a GM but what happened in 1977-78 and 1978-79, back to back seasons when Boston didn't even qualify for the playoffs? Pat Riley is a genius of a GM but why were there seasons when Miami didn't even qualify for the playoffs?

Yes, James was dominant individually but did he make his team mates better than what Bird did?

The Celtics - a mediocre franchise??? For a Celtics stan, it's astounding how little you know about the history of your beloved team. :rolleyes:

The Celtics - a mediocre franchise??? For a Celtics stan, it's astounding how little you know about the history of your beloved team.

Oops! I meant mediocre team during the two years they did not make the playoffs in 1977-78 and 1978-79 seasons. Agree or not? Haha! Just because I used the wrong term does not mean I know little about my beloved team. This is the Lechoke vs. Bird thread and you shallowly called me out on an erroneous term from my reply to red60 instead of quoting my reply to your post. Aren't you gonna defend your post?

Edited by will robie

Oops! I meant mediocre team during the two years they did not make the playoffs in 1977-78 and 1978-79 seasons. Agree or not? Haha! Just because I used the wrong term does not mean I know little about my beloved team. This is the Lechoke vs. Bird thread and you shallowly called me out on an erroneous term from my reply to red60 instead of quoting my reply to your post. Aren't you gonna defend your post?

Wrong term huh?? Well, if you weren't called out, you'd let your statement stand :P

Yes, the Celts had those two down seasons but mediocre? Havlicek was still good enough to make the All-Star team. I'd rather call those years as a transition period - as their stars from the 70s champion teams have started to show their age (Havlicek, Jojo White) or ravaged by injury (Cowens). Not to mention all the coaching changes with Cowens being forced to serve as part-time player-coach.

No help in his rookie season??? Well, maybe you don't consider Cowens and Archibald having All-Star level seasons very helpful. And new coach Bill Fitch having a Coach of the Year season also wasn't very helpful. Wrong term again, Master?? ;)

Which post will I defend? I made a factual statement, you replied with a factual statement.

Wrong term huh?? Well, if you weren't called out, you'd let your statement stand

If I wasn't called out, then that would mean I crucified my own team. Shouldn't you be elated since you always argued against my points? Why are you defending my team? You aren't a Celtic fan, are you?

Edited by will robie

Yes, the Celts had those two down seasons but mediocre? Havlicek was still good enough to make the All-Star team. I'd rather call those years as a transition period - as their stars from the 70s champion teams have started to show their age (Havlicek, Jojo White) or ravaged by injury (Cowens). Not to mention all the coaching changes with Cowens being forced to serve as part-time player-coach.

The fact of the matter is those Boston teams did not qualify for the playoffs which is mediocre in my book. Are you saying that teams that don't qualify for the playoffs aren't mediocre?