Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

Kaso andami naman nating imports nun eh..tatlo ba yun?.. Nung panahon na yun di pa yata ganun mahigpit kung ilang naturalized players... Nakapag gold ba tayo nung time na yun sa asia?

It does not matter because we were playing by the rules. Jeff Moore and Dennis Still were the naturalized players when we won the 1986 FIBA-Asia. I dont think we had a naturalized player when we won the 1982 FIBA U18 with Hec Calma and Alfie Almario leading the way. Edited by will robie

i know kai will get there chief...a little bulking up. as i've been saying, give these boys the right coach, and the philippines will lord it over its asian rivals. we have the height, ballhandlers in panopio and amsai, shooters (that ildefonso kid is phenomenal)...3 successive 3-pointers against tall chinese defenders. sayang napunta sa NU hehehehe

not only did we have the proper program and personnel during those golden years...we also had the brainiest coach. name? - RON JACOBS. i remember coach ron when he was calling the shots for NCC...walang board na hawak. chalk lang at nagdra-drawing sa sahig. ang hirap kasi ngayon, philippine basketball is now about advertisements and politics. can't the players even wear jerseys without "SMART" or "CHOOKS TO GO" pasted on their jerseys? how pathetic :angry: :angry: :angry:

Ron was a transcendent coach and I see Ron in Tab. Puso is a good PBA coach; he just does not cut the mustard in the international arena. Kai and Edu will be dominant under the tutelage of Tab.

• Like (+1) 1

Why not MVP and SMC co-sponsor our national teams? Ganun naman talaga dapat eh.. SBP should be a neutral agency or organization at nasa Philippines lang ang kanilang loyalty..

Try looking at where we were when our national team was under SMC. We won the 1986 FIBA Asia which was a qualifier for the FIBA Worlds but that joke of an Edsa Revolution happened.

So why the SMC and the one that handles the RP mens basketball team did not push through with sending our team to the FIBA worlds? Sayang..dahil ba wala nang support? Di na makakakuha ng sponsors.. Pag pulitika at pera talaga ang pumasok walang kahihinatnan eh.. Anyway nakalipas na yun eh..

Due to the joke that was the Edsa Revolution but we already had a slot in the Worlds by virtue of being the champs of FIBA Asia that year. The silver and bronze medalists of that tourney also qualified for the Worlds.

Edited by will robie

Yeah.. Pero parang sobra tayong nakadepende sa foreign players that time... Good thing at binago ang rules na yun. Iba pa rin yung di gaanong umaasa sa ibang lahi.. Sarap ng pakiramdam. Hopefully someday magawa natin yun..

It was and still is in the rules. Nothing wrong with that but I disagree with your opinion that masyado tayo umasa sa foreign players. It is not as if Moore and Still were NBA superstars. Samboy and Allan were our leading scorers in that gold-medal game so we did not depend heavily on Still snd Moore. Edited by will robie

Ron was a transcendent coach and I see Ron in Tab. Puso is a good PBA coach; he just does not cut the mustard in the international arena. Kai and Edu will be dominant under the tutelage of Tab.

proper development...proper guidance by the proper coach chief. isaac go was a mere player riding the ateneo bench under perasol. enter coach tab. look at where isaac go is now.

I agree.. Coach CHot is a very good motivator.... Pero di na nagimprove ng malaki for international competition... Up the ante na nga.. get an international coach....

proper development...proper guidance by the proper coach chief. isaac go was a mere player riding the ateneo bench under perasol. enter coach tab. look at where isaac go is now.

Reminds me of a coach from Boston. Haha! Players shine under him. Tab should really be our coach for life.

I agree.. Coach CHot is a very good motivator.... Pero di na nagimprove ng malaki for international competition... Up the ante na nga.. get an international coach....

Andyan na nga pero nasa Ateneo ngayon. Edited by will robie

It was and still is in the rules. Nothing wrong with that but I disagree with your opinion that masyado tayo umasa sa foreign players. It is not as if Moore and Still were NBA superstars.

i agree...we were not dependent on dennis and jeff at that time. these two naturalized players were mere support to a solid filipino crew. we had samboy, allan, hec, yves, franz. what made the big difference was the presence of coach ron jacobs on the bench.

Reminds me of a coach from Boston. Haha! Players shine under him. Tab should really be our coach for life.

Andyan na nga pero nasa Ateneo ngayon.

if only SBP will one day realize...i'm sure the ateneo community won't mind for the sake of philippine basketball.

Edited by junix

i know kai will get there chief...a little bulking up. as i've been saying, give these boys the right coach, and the philippines will lord it over its asian rivals. we have the height, ballhandlers in panopio and amsai, shooters (that ildefonso kid is phenomenal)...3 successive 3-pointers against tall chinese defenders. sayang napunta sa NU hehehehe

not only did we have the proper program and personnel during those golden years...we also had the brainiest coach. name? - RON JACOBS. i remember coach ron when he was calling the shots for NCC...walang board na hawak. chalk lang at nagdra-drawing sa sahig. ang hirap kasi ngayon, philippine basketball is now about advertisements and politics. can't the players even wear jerseys without "SMART" or "CHOOKS TO GO" pasted on their jerseys? how pathetic :angry: :angry: :angry:

Hmmm ... but you're okay with the 80s RP Team wearing San Miguel Beer or Northern Cement (NCC) on their jerseys? :huh: As to Coach Ron, yes he was an excellent coach, but not because he was only using chalk. Si Coach Baby nga, pakumpas-kumpas lang ng kamay. Good coaches should be able to adopt to the technologies available at the time.

But I agree that the politics (or inggitan??) in sports particularly basketball today is worse. Just speculating here, but maybe that's one reason coach Tab is in the collegiate ranks - he doesn't want to deal with all the primadonnas in the PBA (players, coaches, owners included). In Ateneo, he is king - answering only to MVP.

I was skeptical at first with Chot's son coaching the cadets - siempre baka nepotism lang yan. But after watching last night's game, I'm willing to give the guy a chance. To me, one characteristic of good coaching is to be able to employ various defenses effectively. And I saw that last night - as the boys switched from man-to-man, 2-3 zone, and half-court traps to throw the Chinese off-balance. On offense, he maximized the height and mobility of the big boys with simple low post-and-cut moves which were executed brilliantly.

As one poster here said, Sotto needs to be more aggressive. He should be able to just dunk above people's heads when he's near the basket. Also, I saw some moves he made that reminded me of Kareem (nahahalata ang eded :D ). I hope he can polish those as he matures.

Overall, a very impressive game from the lads! Praying for their continued success in the tournament.

• Like (+1) 1

Hmmm ... but you're okay with the 80s RP Team wearing San Miguel Beer or Northern Cement (NCC) on their jerseys? :huh: As to Coach Ron, yes he was an excellent coach, but not because he was only using chalk. Si Coach Baby nga, pakumpas-kumpas lang ng kamay. Good coaches should be able to adopt to the technologies available at the time.

But I agree that the politics (or inggitan??) in sports particularly basketball today is worse. Just speculating here, but maybe that's one reason coach Tab is in the collegiate ranks - he doesn't want to deal with all the primadonnas in the PBA (players, coaches, owners included). In Ateneo, he is king - answering only to MVP.

I was skeptical at first with Chot's son coaching the cadets - siempre baka nepotism lang yan. But after watching last night's game, I'm willing to give the guy a chance. To me, one characteristic of good coaching is to be able to employ various defenses effectively. And I saw that last night - as the boys switched from man-to-man, 2-3 zone, and half-court traps to throw the Chinese off-balance. On offense, he maximized the height and mobility of the big boys with simple low post-and-cut moves which were executed brilliantly.

As one poster here said, Sotto needs to be more aggressive. He should be able to just dunk above people's heads when he's near the basket. Also, I saw some moves he made that reminded me of Kareem (nahahalata ang eded :D ). I hope he can polish those as he matures.

Overall, a very impressive game from the lads! Praying for their continued success in the tournament.

Kai is move smoothly for a big man.. Minsan kala mo lambutin.. pero kung tumira fadeaway... malaki na fadeaway pa..pano mababalanka..hihi.. anyway... Maganda post up moves nga bata.. tama... bulk pa at more aggressive.... Mga tipong Jabbar at Olajuwon na galaw..tapos may 3's at pde running game...

Si AJ.. medyo magasapang pa ang galaw.. pero magiging dominant to sa ilalim.. brusko e... Parang si dunca/robinson... na may 3s.

i agree...we were not dependent on dennis and jeff at that time. these two naturalized players were mere support to a solid filipino crew. we had samboy, allan, hec, yves, franz. what made the big difference was the presence of coach ron jacobs on the bench.

Ron was the foundational coach who made that SMB team into a well-oiled machine and not because of the coaching of Norman Black. Edited by will robie

if only SBP will one day realize...i'm sure the ateneo community won't mind for the sake of philippine basketball.

Yup. Tab should coach all Gilas teams. Imagine a team of Kobe, Kyrie, este Ricci pala, Edu, and Kai coached by Tab. Wed be batlling the Aussies for Asian dominance for years.

Edited by will robie

edu, sotto, paras, rivero, nieto, panopio et al...these are the young guns of philippine basketball. with still 5 years before the fiba in 2023 and with proper training and exposure, these boys should be in their prime by then. wag sanang masayang ang mga talents nitong mga batang ito.

edu, sotto, paras, rivero, nieto, panopio et al...these are the young guns of philippine basketball. with still 5 years before the fiba in 2023 and with proper training and exposure, these boys should be in their prime by then. wag sanang masayang ang mga talents nitong mga batang ito.

Huwag masayang sa coach na hindi marunong gumamit ng players. Magaling nga mag motivate, walang kwenta naman sa in-game adjustments.

• Like (+1) 1