Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

I concede the UAAP title to Ateneo this year. I think it's time for Tab to take over. If Chot interferes again, the SBP should just tell him to shut his mouth. Puro daldal lang siya.

i agree chief...tab should be tapped the soonest so he can instill the system and mold the team into fighting form. i cannot think of any other coach who can take over coach yeng. coach rajko is now with indonesia.

as to ateneo, not yet my friend. we have a big target at our back. UP with ricci, kobe and juan is strong. so is your archers. but this is another discussion in the uaap thread.

SBP GISING NA. SABIHAN NYO NA SI TAB BALDWIN. nasa katipunan lang sya nakatambay :D :D :D

i agree chief...tab should be tapped the soonest so he can instill the system and mold the team into fighting form. i cannot think of any other coach who can take over coach yeng. coach rajko is now with indonesia.

as to ateneo, not yet my friend. we have a big target at our back. UP with ricci, kobe and juan is strong. so is your archers. but this is another discussion in the uaap thread.

SBP GISING NA. SABIHAN NYO NA SI TAB BALDWIN. nasa katipunan lang sya nakatambay

Yes, I hope the SBP brain trust realizes that Chot, Yeng, Tim, Norman or whichever PBA coach does not hold a candle to Tab in terms of coaching in the international game. Tab has a mastery of the nuances of the international game.

ADMU has talented players but it's the coach that is really the main advantage of ADMU, chief. In my opinion, if Tab was the coach, we'd still lose to Srbija but we will lose by a much smaller margin. Maybe 20 to 25. We also would have upset Italia had Tab been the coach.

Edited by will robie

Yes, I hope the SBP brain trust realizes that Chot, Yeng, Tim, Norman or whichever PBA coach does not hold a candle to Tab in terms of coaching in the international game. Tab has a mastery of the nuances of the international game.

ADMU has talented players but it's the coach that is really the main advantage of ADMU, chief. In my opinion, if Tab was the coach, we'd still lose to Srbija but we will lose by a much smaller margin. Maybe 20 to 25. We also would have upset Italia had Tab been the coach.

i couldn't agree more to what you've written chief. this is where we separate coach tab from the rest of the pba coaches, i.e., the international game. i just cannot comprehend why the brain trust of sbp still has not made any move to appoint coach tab to take over the men's basketball team. you might have some insights on this chief. SBP MALAPIT LANG ANG KATIPUNAN! :D

i couldn't agree more to what you've written chief. this is where we separate coach tab from the rest of the pba coaches, i.e., the international game. i just cannot comprehend why the brain trust of sbp still has not made any move to appoint coach tab to take over the men's basketball team. you might have some insights on this chief. SBP MALAPIT LANG ANG KATIPUNAN!

I don't see any reason why Tab shouldn't be coaching the next Gilas team. The writing is explicitly written in the wall. His college basketball team beat an excellent professional Australian team which made the Finals of the NBL last year. Maybe ADMU would have had a more respectable showing had it been sent as the representative of the Philippines to the FIBA-Worlds. :lol:

Di ba nag coach na si tab from 2014-16 para sa olympic qualifiers... he failed in that??? His 4 year contract as head coach was cut into half... and nag serve na lang sya as consultant...

According to rumors, his training regimen was difficult. The PBA players complained about it. The SBP had to step in and replace him or else there will be a mutiny.

According to rumors, his training regimen was difficult. The PBA players complained about it. The SBP had to step in and replace him or else there will be a mutiny.

Sounds familiar...happened to Toroman as well. If those PBA players who complained about the difficult training,then walang mangyayari sa programa kung puro cry babies sila.

Gilas has to win against Angola tomorrow to salvage some pride. We have the players but we don't have the coach who could take us to the second round. Yeng is a fine coach in the PBA but there's something wrong in his coaching even in the FIBA World Cup qualifiers. In the game against Kazakhstan, the the Kazakh bigs were sniping from the outside but Yeng still put Greg Slaughter in although it was pretty obvious he is not quick enough for the closeouts. When the Italians were running us to the ground, Yeng didn't even make adjustments to counter the defensive pressure of the Italians on us. Yeng is not just cut out to coach in the international game.

i don't think it was the training regimen that resulted in tab's ouster as gilas' head coach. in fact, coach tab, in his 1st (?) assignment as head coach, brought gilas to the championship against the mighty chinese in the 2015 fiba asia hosted by?...china. this was the infamous home cooking in changsha, china. the chinese led by nba players yi jinlian and qi zhou had to resort to home cooking and other dirty tactics (destroyed team bus for gilas, no tickets for the assistant coaches, etc.) just to get rid of the pinoys. notwithstanding the obvious "luto" in changsha, tab and his players fought gallantly til thd end. with the 3 refs on the side of the host all game long, china went on to win the gold and booked a ticket to the rio olympics in 2016. in 2016, mr. reyes took over the reins and we all know what happened after including that australia-philippines basketbrawl. well, we can only surmise what would've happened if coach tab continued to coach gilas up to this date. imho though, gilas pilipinas would've been in good hands with coach thomas anthony "tab" baldwin.

• Like (+1) 1

Gilas has to win against Angola tomorrow to salvage some pride. We have the players but we don't have the coach who could take us to the second round. Yeng is a fine coach in the PBA but there's something wrong in his coaching even in the FIBA World Cup qualifiers. In the game against Kazakhstan, the the Kazakh bigs were sniping from the outside but Yeng still put Greg Slaughter in although it was pretty obvious he is not quick enough for the closeouts. When the Italians were running us to the ground, Yeng didn't even make adjustments to counter the defensive pressure of the Italians on us. Yeng is not just cut out to coach in the international game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.philstar.com/sports/2019/09/01/1948171/dismal-start-doomed-gilas-vs-italy-says-ateneos-baldwin/amp/

chief, this kiwi really knows what he is talking about.

we have the personnel...it's a competent captain to man the ship that we lack.

Its about time for SBP to have a serious Gilas program. First to do is to appoint a headcoach who is expert on international style of basketball. No PBA coach right now is better to be the Head coach than TAB Baldwin.. In my opinion Chot Reyes is still the best available true blood Filipino, he just need to control his emotion. But for a long term plan, we need Tab Baldwin.. The game last nyt againts Italy only showed the lack of Discipline from all the players including the coach who not even bothered to call a time out early to avert the situation. He can at least motivate the players to stay on the game plan and remind them that millions of filipinos are supporting them. Its not important whether we will lose or win the game but how we played the game.

Kunin coach yung coach ng Serbia.

I concede the UAAP title to Ateneo this year. I think it's time for Tab to take over. If Chot interferes again, the SBP should just tell him to shut his mouth. Puro daldal lang siya.

Akala ko UP ang malakas.

i'll say it again chief. as of this writing, tab baldwin is the most competent/qualified to coach the national basketball team. let him take over the gilas cadets/batang gilas with 2023 as the main goal. kai soto, thirdy ravena, aj edu, carl tamayo, dave ildefonso, juan gomez de liano, ricci rivero plus maybe talented pba rookies like cj perez, bolick and rayray parks can be included in the pool. the most important thing is getting the right naturalized player. if tab will be picked to coach gilas, i'm sure he knows who to pick.

Hindi na kelangan pang pagtalunan -- Jordan Clarkson as naturalized player.

Kunin coach yung coach ng Serbia.

Akala ko UP ang malakas.

Serbia is gifted with NBA players and players who play within a stringent system. Djorjevic is a good coach but I think Tab is better. Serbia will still win even with Yeng Guaio as their coach.

Yes, UP has excellent individual players. However, my opinion changed after ADMU beat the Adelaide 36ers and NLEX, both professional teams which are supposedly better than ADMU, a college basketball team.

Edited by will robie

I never considered this guy an elite coach. Anyone who coaches that Serbian team will win against the Philippines because, as far as I can recall, this is the best Serbian team ever assembled. This is Serbia's version of the "Dream Team". Yes, we are missing quality because we did not include Scottie Thompson and Jayson Castro. He didn't mention that we almost beat their neighbor,Croatia, a couple of years back with future NBA players Dario Saric and Bojan Bogdanovic (not to be confused with Serbia's Bogdan Bogdanovic).

Edited by will robie

I never considered this guy an elite coach. Anyone who coaches that Serbian team will win against the Philippines because, as far as I can recall, this is the best Serbian team ever assembled. This is Serbia's version of the "Dream Team". Yes, we are missing quality because we did not include Scottie Thompson and Jayson Castro. He didn't mention that we almost beat their neighbor,Croatia, a couple of years back with future NBA players Dario Saric and Bojan Bogdanovic (not to be confused with Serbia's Bogdan Bogdanovic).

Tingin ko there are plenty of reasons kaya mas maganda performance natin nung 2014 compare this 2019

1. Andray Blatche is more fit that time and fresh from NBA pa siya noon, and compare mo yung fitness niya ngayon.

2. Fresh tayo on international competition sabi nga nila may surprise factor tayo that time

3. Pagkakaalala ko andun na rin si Coach Tab Baldwin before and during 2014 FWC

4. LONGER PREPARATION, nakapag tune up pa tayo noon with numerous teams at nag adjust si comm. Chito Salud that time pinaikli niya yung Governor's cup that time para may preparation yung nat'l team.

To be honest medyo nahihirapan rin ako para kay CYG kasi since he took over the national team parang puro short preparation binibigay sa kanya, 1 month na ata yung pinakamatagal na preparation niya.

#LabanPilipinas

Tingin ko there are plenty of reasons kaya mas maganda performance natin nung 2014 compare this 2019

1. Andray Blatche is more fit that time and fresh from NBA pa siya noon, and compare mo yung fitness niya ngayon.

2. Fresh tayo on international competition sabi nga nila may surprise factor tayo that time

3. Pagkakaalala ko andun na rin si Coach Tab Baldwin before and during 2014 FWC

4. LONGER PREPARATION, nakapag tune up pa tayo noon with numerous teams at nag adjust si comm. Chito Salud that time pinaikli niya yung Governor's cup that time para may preparation yung nat'l team.

To be honest medyo nahihirapan rin ako para kay CYG kasi since he took over the national team parang puro short preparation binibigay sa kanya, 1 month na ata yung pinakamatagal na preparation niya.

#LabanPilipinas

You showed good points but Italy was beatable. If Tab had been the coach and we stuck with the 2014 line-up, I think we pull off a surprise against Italy. Serbia was just too good for us. In my opinion, this is the best Serbian team ever assembled. We can't beat Serbia.

That's it. I'm done supporting this version of Gilas. So many boneheaded plays. Blatche out of sync with Junemar and Japeth. CJ Perez played well until he channeled his inner JR Smith at the end of regulation. Kiefer Ravena playing hero ball when he's obviously not ready yet. Yeng Guiao opting to play Kiefer over Bolick, Barroca, or Paul Lee in the end game. This team is just plain terrible.

It's time to reset the national team program.