Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

tama chief. toroman is the new coach of the indonesian national basketball team. sayang ito. indons might give gilas a run for its money. mukhang mapapalaban tayo dito. it may not be a walk in the park anymore specially if the philippines will not field in its best players.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.inquirer.net/354588/ex-gilas-coach-rajko-toroman-to-call-shots-for-indonesias-in-sea-games/amp

Chief, I think Indonesia is still a gulf away before being able to compete with us but if the Philippines fields amateur players in the SEA games, I think there is a chance the Indons pull off an upset.

Edited by will robie
  • Like (+1) 1

napolitika ni chooke reyes. si tab na dati ang coach, kinuha uli ni choke reyes

Agree with this. Why not appoint Tab Baldwin as head coach. He is being under-utilize coaching a college team.

I only watched the first half last night and noticed di ata tumawag ng time out ang Italy.

Since lahat na ng negative nasabi at na ishare na dito...let me add on the bright side. Let us not forget that sa 2023 we will be co -hosting the FIBAWC..so pasok na tayo. As far as I know yung pool na binuo ng SBP include Kai Sotto,Edu,and the likes of Bolick and Perez. Developed and handled by no other than Tab Baldwin. So most of our wish list is in the works...I for one is hoping SBP continues to support this direction towards fieldin a young, tall,athletic line up.

Will Tab be handling the team for the 2023 FIBA Worlds?

We can model our national team after Espana's, chief. The Spaniards developed their young guns in the early part of the century and became successful. The Gasols, Rudy Fernandez, Juan Carlos Navarro, Jose Calderon, Jorge Garbajosa, etc. were young pups when Spain decided to develop them and stayed with these guys for the long haul and it got them a gold in the World Cup in 2006 and two silvers in the Olympics. Kobe, Ricci, Kai and AJ should be our cornerstones in the next iterations of the national team.

If you envied the Italians, you should see how the Serbs play. Joker was like a bigger Magic Johnson, albeit, slower. They also have size and outside shooting. Radulica is not just a post threat but a threat on the fast break. Their passing and shooting is on another level. Rajko Toroman should have been our long-term coach. May umepal kasi na gusto magcoach kaya ganun. I guess you know who I am talking about.

yes, pati si tab baldwin inagawan nya ng pwesto

Will Tab be handling the team for the 2023 FIBA Worlds?

as far as i know it's the gilas cadets that he's handling chief...but if coach tab is tasked to handle the 2023 team as well, then that surely is welcome news.

come to think of it, dalawa pala ang sinipa ni coach coach puso sa pwesto. after rajko si coach tab naman. baka may balak din siyang sipain si ex-congressman yeng guiao. mahiya naman siya tsk tsk tsk

If I remember it well...Chot was instrumental in kicking out Rajko Toroman,The excuse was that Rajko was ''Serbian military strict'' in training the Gilas 2.0, Some superstars in the team were constantly complaining about the training and the discipline that was ask for by Rajko. Politics quickly came into play and NGUSO was appointed as coach. Siya rin nagpauso nung too much over OA media savvy approach that we know now as paasa then NGA-NGA.

Masyado rin kasi impatient ang mga pinoy fans, naalala ko nung nalaglag tayo nung wildcard sa FIBA olympic qualifier nung 2016 madami kumwestyon sa lineup na binuo ni coach Tab Baldwin. Tenorio at Abueva yung last cut nun and the reason of coach Tab is they're going for a tall lineup. Tapos naalala ko nun madami nagalit kasi if they're going tall during that campaign bakit hindi daw binabad si Japeth Aguilar.

Then may mga PBA vets na nag bigay ng opinyon like Willie Miller, nasabi niya na iba daw siguro kug andun sina Tenorio at Abueva. Kasi wala daw tayo true "point guard" that time puro daw "points" guard(maybe patama kina romeo at castro). May chismis din na sina castro daw nagrereklamo sa practice ni coach tab.

Siguro na pressure that time SBP na palitan si coach tab na dapat hindi naman dapat palitan kasi wala pa 1 taon si coach tab sa gilas that time. And I remember coach tab said sa podcast ni erik menk na we filipinos should adapt the european style of basketball which is less on isolation at mas effective sa international basketball. Sana lang makabalik si coach tab sa gilas and i've been saying this on every post PALITAN NA NG PBA ANG FORMAT NILA kahit ata pinakamagaling na coach hahawak satin mahihirapan dahil sa short preparation. Yun lang hahahaha salamat!

#labanpilipinas

• Like (+1) 1

Its about time for SBP to have a serious Gilas program. First to do is to appoint a headcoach who is expert on international style of basketball. No PBA coach right now is better to be the Head coach than TAB Baldwin.. In my opinion Chot Reyes is still the best available true blood Filipino, he just need to control his emotion. But for a long term plan, we need Tab Baldwin.. The game last nyt againts Italy only showed the lack of Discipline from all the players including the coach who not even bothered to call a time out early to avert the situation. He can at least motivate the players to stay on the game plan and remind them that millions of filipinos are supporting them. Its not important whether we will lose or win the game but how we played the game.

We always have to choose our poison:

Get the best and most skillful players but won't be able to prepare long (bcoz the best players are in the PBA, where sked could be a challenge and somehow business schemes could get in a way)

VS.

A long tedious preparation will be laid out using cadet players (bcoz the best players can't be kept together at the beck and call of coaching staff)

as far as i know it's the gilas cadets that he's handling chief...but if coach tab is tasked to handle the 2023 team as well, then that surely is welcome news.

come to think of it, dalawa pala ang sinipa ni coach coach puso sa pwesto. after rajko si coach tab naman. baka may balak din siyang sipain si ex-congressman yeng guiao. mahiya naman siya tsk tsk tsk

We were making headway with Toroman. We finished 4th in the FIBA-Asia in 2011 then Chot took over. Had Toroman still been the coach in the 2013 FIBA-Asia, we would have won the gold and advanced to the second round in the 2014 FIBA Worlds. I hope Reyes does not screw up the program because he wants to coach again. We won't make any headway if he's the coach.

Coach Tab's Ateneo team is the prototype international team. He has quick guards, reliable shooters, athletic wingmen, physical forwards, and an agile big man. Ateneo's performance in the Jones Cup and their consistent strong showing against professional teams (both local and international) are testaments to Coach Tab's system. Now, imagine applying his principles to our national team program, giving him 4 years to exclusively mold the players, and we may have a competitive team by 2023.

Of course, Coach Tab's program is all for nothing if the PBA cannot get its act together. The FIBA World Cup is every 4 years only and they didn't even adjust their calendar this year to help the training of the Gilas players. Our players are not that tall, not that skilled, that's why I still don't get it why we still pattern our training program after the USA Team. We are dwarves compared to the other teams, so we need to always be better, faster, and tougher and 2 weeks of training will not fix our disadvantages.

3 conference format pa haha. Mas mahalaga daw kasi yung PBA kesa World cup at karangalan ng bansa. Ampuchang preparation time yan dinaig pa yung US Team eh akala mo Generation of Miracles yung mga player ng Gilas 😂

exactly...pili dito, pili doon...training ng 2 months at sabak sa fiba world. nadisgrasya!!! can't the pba sacrifice its schedule for the sake of the country? alam naman ng pba ang mga schedule ng fiba asia, fiba world, asian games. anak ng p#@*!? pag ganyan ang programa natin hanggang sea games lang tayo maghahari. at kung hindi tayo mag-iingat baka maungusan tayo ng singapore o kaya indonesia.

We can't compete or do well sa International stage (Olympics, FIBA World Cup, Asian Games). The only solution is to start by building a team from scratch. Ung mga tipong bata pa lang mga Under 14 talents pa lang simulan ng itrain ng international coach and not PBA coaches. Start from the basics and fundamentals of the game, focus on shooting and ball movement. Hindi ung turuan mamisikal, manira, mambalya. Have a system na suitable on our height, physical kills, and athleticism. Model our brand of game sa mga European countries. We lack athleticism and height to compete kaya magfocus sa shooting and ball movement. Pansinin nyo sa NBA, nagevolve na ung laro, it's more on getting small rather than getting big line up. Small ball na, kaya sana gawin natin un as advantage as we Filipinos lack in height.

Next point is, never allow that team to go and play professionally, kung kelangan swelduhan ung mga bata habang lumalaki at nagmamature dapat gawin, kasi kung ittrain natin ung mga bata, pero ang ending maglalaro sa PBA para kumita ng pera wala din mangyayari. Babalik din tayo na ung mga players natin, kukunin pa din sa PBA.

Pero malabo to mangyari lalo na kung di nman tlaga pagtutunan ng pansin dito sa bansa natin. Magugulat nlang tayo after ilang years, ung mga neighboring countries natin from Southeast Asia mas gumaling pa satin pagdating sa basketball.

Edited by kelvingastelum1989
  • Like (+1) 1

If I remember it well...Chot was instrumental in kicking out Rajko Toroman,The excuse was that Rajko was ''Serbian military strict'' in training the Gilas 2.0, Some superstars in the team were constantly complaining about the training and the discipline that was ask for by Rajko. Politics quickly came into play and NGUSO was appointed as coach. Siya rin nagpauso nung too much over OA media savvy approach that we know now as paasa then NGA-NGA.

Whoever complained about the training should have been kicked out or maybe it was just Chot who said that to ingratiate himself with the SBP. Toroman and Tab are better than Chot in terms of international coaching. Yeng tried but it is apparent after the Italy game that his coaching won't cut it in the international arena.

• Like (+1) 1

Get the best and most skillful players but won't be able to prepare long (bcoz the best players are in the PBA, where sked could be a challenge and somehow business schemes could get in a way)

VS.

A long tedious preparation will be laid out using cadet players (bcoz the best players can't be kept together at the beck and call of coaching staff)

VS.

The above is were I will put my 2 cents. This is the original Gilas program consisting of college player; Tiu, Casio,Lutz,Lassiter,Slaugther,Barocca,Kuya Marcus Bacarael to name a few,Toroman is the Head coach and thru the auspices of MVP thru Smart. The problem is they made a short cut and tap the PBA players and instead of the long road to success, they opted to go for the shorter route,while there are some success on it we always end up missing something in the end. What could have been the outcome of the original Gilas program if it went full circle is for another discussion.

We can't compete or do well sa International stage (Olympics, FIBA World Cup, Asian Games). The only solution is to start by building a team from scratch. Ung mga tipong bata pa lang mga Under 14 talents pa lang simulan ng itrain ng international coach and not PBA coaches. Start from the basics and fundamentals of the game, focus on shooting and ball movement. Hindi ung turuan mamisikal, manira, mambalya. Have a system na suitable on our height, physical kills, and athleticism. Model our brand of game sa mga European countries. We lack athleticism and height to compete kaya magfocus sa shooting and ball movement. Pansinin nyo sa NBA, nagevolve na ung laro, it's more on getting small rather than getting big line up. Small ball na, kaya sana gawin natin un as advantage as we Filipinos lack in height.
Next point is, never allow that team to go and play professionally, kung kelangan swelduhan ung mga bata habang lumalaki at nagmamature dapat gawin, kasi kung ittrain natin ung mga bata, pero ang ending maglalaro sa PBA para kumita ng pera wala din mangyayari. Babalik din tayo na ung mga players natin, kukunin pa din sa PBA.
Pero malabo to mangyari lalo na kung di nman tlaga pagtutunan ng pansin dito sa bansa natin. Magugulat nlang tayo after ilang years, ung mga neighboring countries natin from Southeast Asia mas gumaling pa satin pagdating sa basketball.

I agree with this...

we assemble a team habang bata pa... say 14-18 years old simula na sila sa Team Pilipinas...only the best... me sweldo na kasing taas sa PBA.... get a sponsor parang NCC...this will cure yung inggitan na bakit player ng ganitong team pero palaging namemetion eh Smart or MVP Corporation...

pag 18 na, isali yung team sa PBA... mag compete para madevelop... tapos mag compete din sa international events... patigasin katawan, hasaain ang shooting, instill ang defensive culture at trust sa isat isa...

invest on time kasi and money, obviously, the best that we can offer eh nasa 31st lang sa world stage and will not hurt kung mag train maige... and while we are developing these people, continue muna yung current formula kahit masakit sa mata... baka maka tsamba...

now kung maganda ang build-up, regular sila mag compete sa PBA with special consideration na pag me international competition sila, mag mag leave of absence sa PBA... ginawa na dati ito nun... remember NCC... ang kaibahan lang, they will continuously compete sa PBA as a team, sweldong PBA pero hindi magpapadraft sa PBA...

Whoever complained about the training should have been kicked out or maybe it was just Chot who said that to ingratiate himself with the SBP. Toroman and Tab are better than Chot in terms of international coaching. Yeng tried but it is apparent after the Italy game that his coaching won't cut it in the international arena.

i'll say it again chief. as of this writing, tab baldwin is the most competent/qualified to coach the national basketball team. let him take over the gilas cadets/batang gilas with 2023 as the main goal. kai soto, thirdy ravena, aj edu, carl tamayo, dave ildefonso, juan gomez de liano, ricci rivero plus maybe talented pba rookies like cj perez, bolick and rayray parks can be included in the pool. the most important thing is getting the right naturalized player. if tab will be picked to coach gilas, i'm sure he knows who to pick.