Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

Ginebra gets veteran and rookie

MANILA, Philippines — Barangay Ginebra has acquired third year center Rico Maierhofer from B-Meg and rookie forward Allein Maliksi from Barako Bull in a three-team, six-player trade that was consummated Tuesday.

B-Meg will get veteran center Yancy de Ocampo from sister-team Ginebra, while Barako Bull – acting as conduit – will receive sophomore guard Jimbo Aquino also from Ginebra plus two additional rookie picks, one each in the 2013 and 2014 PBA Rookie Draft.

“The trade is good for the teams involved, and it’s also good for the league that we have these deals,” said the source, who is privy to the negotiations but asked not to be named as the trade has yet to be approved by Commissioner Chito Salud.

With the quality of young players they’ve acquired, the deal will benefit Ginebra, which currently sports an even 4-4 record. Kings’ coach Siot Tanquingcen has said that they are hoping get young players to be more competitive.

The 6-foot-6 Maierhofer and the 6-foot-4 Maliksi are expected to strengthen Ginebra’s aging frontline that includes former MVP Eric Menk, Enrico Villanueva, Niño Canaleta, Billy Mamaril and Willy Wilson.

Maierhofer, who won Rookie of the Year honors in 2009, is regaining his old form after being sidelined late last season with an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury, while Maliksi – the first MVP in the PBA D-League – is playing superb after he was tabbed No. 8 overall pick in the last Rookie Draft by Barako Bull.

As for the 6-foot-9 de Ocampo, a former No. 1 pick in 2002 by Federal Express (formerly Air21), B-Meg will be his fourth team. He also played for Talk ’N Text.

Aquino, on the other hand, is now on his second season in the PBA. However, he hasn’t been given enough playing time with Ginebra as he had to compete playing minutes with the likes of Mark Caguioa, Ronald Tubid and JC Intal.

With the Energy, he will be playing behind established players Willie Miller, Sunday Salvacion, as well as rookie Dylan Ababou.

update as of 2:00pm this day:

WILLY MARCIAL: Andito na yung trade proposal. JIMBO plus 2014, 2015 2nd round pick to BARAKO, YANCY to BMEG, MAIERHOFER, MALIKSI to GINEBRA.

1 Multi-titled COACH: Bagay na bagay si RICO MAEIRHOFER sa GINEBRA pare. Kaso sana hindi si YANCY ANG binitawan nila kasi parang 1 minus 1.

(but still, this is up to kume's approval)

WILLY MARCIAL: Pag-aaralan pa ni COMMISSIONER ito. Baka HUWEBES na ito desisyunan. Paki sabi na lang sa mga fans ng liga

now, here's the final trade proposal revised by commissioner...

BMEG gets YANCY de OCAMPO plus GINEBRA's 2012 2nd round pick (Gives up RICO MAIERHOFER)

BARAKO gets JIMBO AQUINO plus GINEBRA's 2013 1st round pick (Gives up ALLEIN MALIKSI)

GINEBRA gets RICO MAIERHOFER & ALLEIN MALIKSI (gives up JIMBO AQUINO, YANCY de OCAMPO, 2012 2nd round pick and 2013 1st round pick)

idagdag ko na din mga kabaragay

hope makatulong sila sa team kahit pareho sila galing ng injury..

The PBA on Wednesday approved a revised trade involving Barangay Ginebra, Barako Bull, and B-MEG.

In the approved transaction Ginebra will receive Rico Maierhofer and Allein Maliksi, Barako Bull will receive Jimbo Aquino, and 2013 first round and 2012 second round picks from Ginebra, while B-MEG will receive Yancy de Ocampo and a 2012 second round pick from Barako.

InterAKTV first broke news of a deal involving the four players on Tuesday morning.

The teams had sent an earlier proposal to the office of PBA commissioner Chito Salud, who has the power to modify deals which he deems unbalanced.

Maierhofer won the league’s Rookie of the Year award in 2010, but is coming off an ACL injury which caused him to miss parts of last season. Maliksi, on the other hand, is the No. 8 overall pick in this year’s draft and was the inaugural Most Valuable Player of the PBA D-League.

Ginebra has been looking to upgrade its frontcourt since the departure of starting power forward Rudy Hatfield, who left the team midway through last season.

De Ocampo was the top overall pick in 2002, but has been a backup center for most of his journeyman career. Aquino was picked eighth overall in the first round of last year’s draft, but has languished in Ginebra’s crowded backcourt rotation.

Source: InterAKTV

idagdag ko na din mga kabaragay

hope makatulong sila sa team kahit pareho sila galing ng injury..

The PBA on Wednesday approved a revised trade involving Barangay Ginebra, Barako Bull, and B-MEG.

In the approved transaction Ginebra will receive Rico Maierhofer and Allein Maliksi, Barako Bull will receive Jimbo Aquino, and 2013 first round and 2012 second round picks from Ginebra, while B-MEG will receive Yancy de Ocampo and a 2012 second round pick from Barako.

InterAKTV first broke news of a deal involving the four players on Tuesday morning.

The teams had sent an earlier proposal to the office of PBA commissioner Chito Salud, who has the power to modify deals which he deems unbalanced.

Maierhofer won the league’s Rookie of the Year award in 2010, but is coming off an ACL injury which caused him to miss parts of last season. Maliksi, on the other hand, is the No. 8 overall pick in this year’s draft and was the inaugural Most Valuable Player of the PBA D-League.

Ginebra has been looking to upgrade its frontcourt since the departure of starting power forward Rudy Hatfield, who left the team midway through last season.

De Ocampo was the top overall pick in 2002, but has been a backup center for most of his journeyman career. Aquino was picked eighth overall in the first round of last year’s draft, but has languished in Ginebra’s crowded backcourt rotation.

Source: InterAKTV

these two guys are young and good players. i just hope that they will be given sufficient playing time to show their stuff and not languish on the bench.

about MALIKSI, he's a 6'3 or 6"4 high leaper wingman... the former d-league MVP. magaling itong player, as far as his 1st few games shows. kaso lang nagkaroon ng minor injury. i think siya ang top scorer sa team nung 1st game nila against petron.

i don't think hindi mataas si Maierhoffer... he's about the same height as PINGRIS (6'5), great wingspan, high leaper, defensive minded player. though, galing din sa injury. still, i think he's way better than yancy.

Thanks bro..

now, here's the final trade proposal revised by commissioner...

BMEG gets YANCY de OCAMPO plus GINEBRA's 2012 2nd round pick (Gives up RICO MAIERHOFER)

BARAKO gets JIMBO AQUINO plus GINEBRA's 2013 1st round pick (Gives up ALLEIN MALIKSI)

GINEBRA gets RICO MAIERHOFER & ALLEIN MALIKSI (gives up JIMBO AQUINO, YANCY de OCAMPO, 2012 2nd round pick and 2013 1st round pick)

Ayos, now Ginebra has someone who could help them with the rebounding, sayang nga din si Rico 'di na nagagamit madalas sa b-meg sa dami ng malalaki nila in kerby, reavis, devance at pingris, though tingin ko wrong move ang ginawa ng b-meg in giving him up, matanda na din naman sina kerby at si reavis.

these two guys are young and good players. i just hope that they will be given sufficient playing time to show their stuff and not languish on the bench.

Sana nga para naman makatulong sila, anyways, yancy isn't much of a help sa kanila dahil kahit 6'9 napakahiya sa rebounding at 'di mo maasahan sa depensa unlike Rico who loves to get those rebound at nakikita ko din naman na me shot blocking ability din s'ya.

btw will these two new players be able to play on sunday against b-meg or are they still recuperating from their injuries? it would really be nice to see them play right away :)

Naglaro na si Rico noong nakaraan sa b-meg so i'm sure na makakalaro na s'ya for Ginebra, wag lang mababakangko....

btw will these two new players be able to play on sunday against b-meg or are they still recuperating from their injuries? it would really be nice to see them play right away :)

Rico Maierhofer who just came from an ACL injury is still not 100% healthy, though pwede na siya maglaro sa sunday... kailangan nalang niya ng strenghtening. one month pa bago siya maging 100%.

what a trade, they give up their only legitimate center, outside of eric menk, for a forward, they got smaller hmm...what was coach siot thinking?

Height is not the only factor in a basketball game. Its skill, sipag, and will to win. Pingris and Ali Peek can prove that. Sorry to say but the legitimate center you are talking about does not perform his task very well. Majority of sports analysts say that the trade favors really Ginebra. It got young and agressive players with bright future in the league. Yancy? a forever journeyman just a notch higher than Marlou Aquino of old.

what a trade, they give up their only legitimate center, outside of eric menk, for a forward, they got smaller hmm...what was coach siot thinking?

Simple. They want to win. Again, as many before me have said: Anyone who's tall and not a guard is BETTER than keeping Yancy.

Height is not the only factor in a basketball game. Its skill, sipag, and will to win. Pingris and Ali Peek can prove that. Sorry to say but the legitimate center you are talking about does not perform his task very well. Majority of sports analysts say that the trade favors really Ginebra. It got young and agressive players with bright future in the league. Yancy? a forever journeyman just a notch higher than Marlou Aquino of old.

Well said. The only legitimate center who I see in the PBA who embodies the meaning of height is might nowadays is Sonny Thoss.

yancy- a legit center---- in height

getting rico M - smaller but a definite plus in rebounds and defense...

then a bright prospect next Year on the draft with the availability of Fajardo...

sakto lang ang building up....since nxt conference me import..

a center as an import will make do for that confy... ;)

Is that import and center appropriately named Chris Alexander? :)

Simple. They want to win. Again, as many before me have said: Anyone who's tall and not a guard is BETTER than keeping Yancy.

Well said. The only legitimate center who I see in the PBA who embodies the meaning of height is might nowadays is Sonny Thoss.

Absolutely...no one else chief :)

maganda pa susunod na laban ng BGK dahil BMEG kalaban nila... BGK with Rico M. vs. BMEG with Yancy De Ocampo... di kaya magpakita ng bangis si yancy diyan? hehe... ^_^ ^_^

Kumbaga sasabihin ni Rico M. at yancy sa former teams nila "pagsisihan n'yo ang pag-trade n'yo sa akin" hehe. Seriously, bagay na bagay sa Ginebra ang klase ng laro na meron si Rico M., jong ayusin mo ang rotation mo ha....

i beg to differ, yancy is a complete package he has post moves and an outside shot, i would rather keep him and instead trade enrico villanueva who is much shorter and no jumper and is always being eaten alive in the paint, it seems like that they will go for the run and gun system but whenever they are battling a team with a legitimate center they are being killed in the paint

i beg to differ, yancy is a complete package he has post moves and an outside shot, i would rather keep him and instead trade enrico villanueva who is much shorter and no jumper and is always being eaten alive in the paint, it seems like that they will go for the run and gun system but whenever they are battling a team with a legitimate center they are being killed in the paint

Complete package? 'Yung kapatid n'ya siguro 'yun ang complete package sir whereas yancy can't even get a rebound off the likes of Ali Peek or maybe even against a Jondan Salvador (mga undersized players who played the center and power forward position pero magagaling pumuwesto para kumuha ng rebound), saka kung complete package s'ya 'di s'ya naging journeyman sa PBA.

Complete package? 'Yung kapatid n'ya siguro 'yun ang complete package sir whereas yancy can't even get a rebound off the likes of Ali Peek or maybe even against a Jondan Salvador (mga undersized players who played the center and power forward position pero magagaling pumuwesto para kumuha ng rebound), saka kung complete package s'ya 'di s'ya naging journeyman sa PBA.