Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

Mark must have heard you guys wishing he still has some left in his tank....

Guess he had his tank cleaned and refilled full tank :)

Nice game by the guards...GIN GUARDS( sa wakas)... Theyll be very hard to beat if they(mark, la, sol and scottie) keep playing like that...their games against alaska and global shows how good the gins are....nde malaman ng kalaban kung double team sa mga bigs or bantayan mga guards nila...

Another great win by ginebra..:)

5 so-so games, then 1 great game. That's Law of Average for Mark. He still has it but Tim Cone should give Thompson more playing time. Somehow, Mark may (sana naman hindi na) revert back to so-so games, as age finally catching up with him. Better that he build a robust support with leadership role in order for the young and skilled teammates to blossom. Think Kobe (di pa yata tanggap for now) and even the Captain, Alvin, in his last years with Purefoods....Graceful long exit, starts now...!

‘He made me look good and stupid’: Scottie Thompson’s playmaking ability draws raves from Tim Cone

In nearly three decades of coaching in the PBA, Tim Cone has been able to coach some of the all-time best players. One guard that stood out the best was Johnny Abarrientos, the best point guard he ever coached.

But on Wednesday, Cone saw a glimpse of another special player who amazed him with several nifty passes.

“I still did a lot of Johnny,” Cone said recalling how rookie guard Scottie Thompson brought him to the edge of his seat when he raised his two hands in shock during one sequence — a reaction he usually reserved when the Flying A made some breathtaking plays in the past.

“That was for the pass.”

Thompson amazed Cone when he fed Greg Slaughter with a beautiful assist that led to a two-handed slam and a three-point play.

“The dunk was the easy part. It would be hard for you and me, but for Greg (Slaughter), that was easy. He (Scottie) made a really great pass there. He hung up in the air and got caught in the air and still has that mental fortitude to make that great pass to Greg for a three-point play. There’s no doubt, he’s special player,” Cone said.

Thompson scored only two points, but came up with four assists, including that big-time move that led to a spectacular and-one.

According to Cone, he had thought of giving veteran guard Jayjay Helterbrand more opportunity over Thompson. But the rookie proved he was more worthy of the minutes.

“I didn’t usually play him in the first half. I wanted to get Jayjay (Helterbrand) a shot out there. He’s been performing well in practice and he’s one of the leaders. Scottie sacrificed that first half, the whole coaching staff was telling me, you’ve got to play Scottie, you’ve got to play Scottie. We did. He made me look good and it made me look stupid at the same time. Stupid for not playing him in the first half,” said Cone.

Cone believes Thompson will just have to play consistent, something which the rookie can achieve in the course of time.

“He’s a rookie, he’s young and he’s gonna have great nights, he’s gonna have average nights. We’re gonna pick the nights that he’s playing great and he played great tonight. I hope he comes out and learns to be consistent, but consistency comes with time. It doesn’t happen right away, especially for a young player. You play him when you can,” added Cone.

Thompson is happy with the trust Cone has given him and vows to be prepared all the time whenever his name is called.

“Nagkataon lang na pinasok ako. Lagi lang akong ready kapag binubunot ako ni coach Tim. Di ako nagsasawa sa ensayo, basta ready lang ako,” he added.

“Sobrang happy at blessed ako kasi napunta kay coach Tim, lalo na ngayong binibigyan nya ako ng tiwala. Kahit konting minuto ang pinapasok nya sa akin, gina-grab ko yun at di ko sinasayang. Sana magtuloy-tuloy. Alam ko naman na si coach Tim, alam nya kung paano ang gagawin sa team at kung paano magpasok ng player.”

• Like (+1) 1

Another defensive night + offensive juggernaut in Mark Caguioa. True that he's had more mediocre games than this, pero i'm seeing an upward trend so far. Just giving credit where it's due.

Now, Sunday's another acid test. RoS has an annoyingly strong front line that won't shy resorting to ugly tactics to win. Good thing that they don't have Paul Lee. No double crossovers to worry about. Hahaha

Even in the triangle under Coach Tim Cone, Mark Caguioa stays relevant

‘Dapat kasi, mag-retire na siya eh.’

‘Mag-coach na lang siya!’

‘Bigay niya na kanila Greg at Japeth ‘yung team!’

‘Wala na. ‘Di na kaya.’

Those are just some of the statements I hear people say about Mark Caguioa.

Once a Rookie of the Year, once an MVP, and once referred to as the heart of the league. Now people contemplate Caguioa hanging up the threads and exchanging shooting sleeves for long sleeves, exchanging Lunarlons for Lunargrands.

People age. Time passes. Those things are inevitable. But sometimes, we are reminded that through all of these, greatness stays.

Last night, against Globalport, we saw a Mark Caguioa that you couldn’t say any of those abovementioned statements to. It would be a stretch to call it ‘throwback Caguioa’. But nonetheless, it still was something far different from the recent Mark The Spark we’ve seen.

Through the first few games of the new Ginebra – one that competes under the system of the winningest coach in the land – the barangay relied heavily on their bigs Japeth Aguilar and Greg Slaughter (who by the way has given nothing to complain about in the past few games).

You’d think that with a mind like Tim Cone and a dominant seven-foot Slaughter, Ginebra should be invincible. But there was still something lacking. They needed production elsewehere. From the backcourt. They needed guys like LA Tenorio and Caguioa – both respected superstars in the L – to show just a little bit of something. Anything, really.

Those two did just that last night, contributing a little more than a little. While LA was beyond decent with 18 points, what stands out more was Caguioa’s 22.
Not only because he scored more. But because had already people sentenced him irrelevant. And last night, he made all of those people eat their words.

Before the Globalport game, Mark’s best scoring night this conference was an 11-point output versus Alaska. Yes. His best. Just 11 points. Needless to say, he has gone far from his best.

That’s why last night felt nostalgic. It was a trip to a few years back. When Caguioa was, well, more than relevant.

Ginebra will always take games and performances like this from The Spark. Inevitably, questions will arise. How often will they get these from him? How many times in a conference, in a season, will Mark defy the process of aging?

But as Ginebra fans, as Caguioa fans, and in all seriousness, as basketball fans in general, nights like last night should put a smile on all our faces. Here’s a guy who helped shape one generation of Philippine basketball.

Through wicked hairdos and hair color, through slick crossovers, Mark Caguioa has become a pillar of the modern day PBA.

This year, we welcomed a strong draft class that could take over the league more quickly than previous batches did. Guys like Caguioa will eventually have to give way. But for now, let’s celebrate the greatness that continues to linger in previous batches.

I know it can sometimes be difficult to watch now. I know we all wish he never went past his prime. But for now, after a youthful performance, let’s stop questioning his relevance and acknowledge the greatness that will always be attached to Mark Caguioa.

Edited by dinibdib
  • Like (+1) 1

Sa mga fans na inabutan yung umpisa....kahit masakit ay kelangan naten hintayin ang napipintong katapusan.caguioa's contributions in ginebra will never be forgotten. After kay jawo eh sya ang isa pang pundasyon ng nsd ng barangay. It looks like ctc is what the doctor ordered. Mukang makakatikim ng championship ang number 47 bago itaas ang jersey sa bubungan ng araneta.

Mark i think is still good for 10 - 15 points per game...anything above that is a bonus... he needs his outside game to be consistent just like before...

Nagtataka lang ako sa hype na he needed to focus on d.... caguioa, during his initial years, was known for his steals... i remember several coaching huddles against ginebra where coaches were heard reminding their guards to watch out for mark's quick hands...

Ang tanong....anong role ba ni mark for him to play consistently?

Loaded question yan...isa lang ang tamang sagot hehe

Let's face it, me edad na din si MC47, minsan nga hirap na yumuko para habulin ang loose ball, also, parang naninibago din sa system ni Tim Cone

Makuha lang nila si RR Garcia, JC Intal at isa pang reliable na shooter. Ok na yung Ginebra eh. Mejo mahihirapan lang talaga sila pakawalan sila Caguia dahil wala ng kukuhang team sa kanila. hehehe

Nasa kanila na nga noon si Intal several years ago, kaso tinapon din, just look at what Intal is doing for barako bull nowadays

And let's face the truth. Ginebra will never dare make an attempt to trade Caguioa and Helterbrand. Or even LA for that matter. At least, as long as Chua is there.

Geez, yan ngang 3 'yan ang tingin ko kung bakit natatapon ang mga young players na nakuha ng GSM

LA lately looked like unimpressive becoz he scored lower than he used to do. Nevertheless, he can do other things on the floor that cant be reflected in stats...he's just a smart proud player. However, its always better if you can score to fortify your threat on the floor

S'ya pa 'yung sabi ng sabi sa mga fellow GSM players n'ya base nababasa ko noon na pag-aralan nila ang triangle offense ni Cone, tapos s'ya pa yata ang 'di makapag-adjust.

Maiba lang mga kabarangay....kung si jervy ang inassign ni ctc na "bong hawkins" nya sa ginebra eh sino naman si marcelo? Si kevin ramas o si dinky bachmann. Hahaha

Parang mas may hawig sya kay ramas....hehehe

Giving credit where credit is due...a nice game by mark...still its only one game...besides...sabi nga ng mag posters....mark doesnt have to produce 20+ points na...kahit 10-12points malaking bagay na(pero with good shooting percentages ha) plus kaunting defense...i think we will be happy with that...

RoS next...kayang kaya natin to...nagugulangan lang tayo ni kalbo dati dahil bano coach natin nun...nde nakakapagadjust sa mga antics ni kalbo agad....with the newfound maturity ng twin towers natin plus si jervy cruz..no match sina belga nyan...mahihirapan lang nga tayo sa backcourt nila...esp with the way jericho cruz is playing....sana sa RoS nalang tayo humingi ng guards..pwede na sila magtayi ng security agency hehehe...kahit ipamigay nlang nila si cris tiu o kahit si teng satin...:)

Edited by azraelmd

pasali lang sa topic...

matagal ng di lumalaban ang ginebra sa championship...

nakakalungkot, kung kailan malakas sila, tsaka naman laging natatalo...

ganon pa man, GINEBRA PA DIN... =)

Sinabi mo pa, 2008 pa sila huling nag-champion with Chris Alexander as their import, kaya talagang gutom na sa championship ang GSM at syempre ang mga fans....

Maiba lang mga kabarangay....kung si jervy ang inassign ni ctc na "bong hawkins" nya sa ginebra eh sino naman si marcelo? Si kevin ramas o si dinky bachmann. Hahaha

Mas Dicky Bachmann si Marcelo, kaso si Marcelo puro papogi lang, dapat yan na lang binalik sa barako bull imbes na si Brondial