Coke Zero

They contain aspartame - artificial sugar like splenda, equal, etc.

My physics teacher taught me to "never believe EVERYTHING you read, see or hear". He taught me to investigate, scientifically and methodically, claims that were being passed on to me as truth. The conclusion one must reach, even if it does NOT align with one's political, religious, or ideological views, is the conclusion that is supported by a prepoderance of evidence that is derived methodically, and scientifically, in a tracable, well-documented manner. Hence, the following --

Aspartame (generic name for Equal) and sucralose (generic name for Splenda) are totally different.

On the subject of sucralose, Wikipedia says:

"It is manufactured by the selective chlorination of sucrose (table sugar), in which three of the hydroxyl groups are replaced with chlorine atoms to produce sucralose."

"Splenda usually contains 95% dextrose (the "right-handed" isomer of glucose - see dextrorotation and chirality), which the body readily metabolizes. Splenda is recognized as safe to ingest as a diabetic sugar substitute"

and

"Sucralose is the only artificial sweetener ranked as "safe" by the consumer advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest.[9][10] According to the Canadian Diabetes Association, one can consume 15 mg/kg/day of Sucralose "on a daily basis over a ... lifetime without any adverse effects"."

and

"“In determining the safety of sucralose, the FDA reviewed data from more than 110 studies in humans and animals. Many of the studies were designed to identify possible toxic effects including carcinogenic, reproductive and neurological effects. No such effects were found, and FDA's approval is based on the finding that sucralose is safe for human consumption.”[12] For example, McNeil Nutritional LLC studies submitted as part of its U.S. FDA Food Additive Petition 7A3987, indicated that "in the 2-year rodent bioassays...there was no evidence of carcinogenic activity for either sucralose or its hydrolysis products...."["

Whereas, for aspartame, Wikipedia says:

"Aspartame is the methyl ester of the dipeptide of the natural amino acids L-aspartic acid and L-phenylalanine. Under strongly acidic or alkaline conditions, aspartame may generate methanol by hydrolysis. Under more severe conditions, the peptide bonds are also hydrolyzed, resulting in the free amino acids.[4]

In certain markets aspartame is manufactured using a genetically modified variation of E. coli."

Yikes!!!!

and regarding claims of health risks associated with aspartame, Wikipedia says:

"An elaborate hoax disseminated through the internet attributes deleterious medical effects to aspartame. This conspiracy theory claims that the FDA approval process of aspartame was tainted[3][4] and cites as its source an email based upon a supposed talk by a "Nancy Markle" at a "World Environmental Conference".[4][29][3] Specifically, the hoax websites allege that aspartame is responsible for multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, and methanol toxicity, causing "blindness, spasms, shooting pains, seizures, headaches, depression, anxiety, memory loss, birth defects" and death.[30]

The dissemination of the Nancy Markle letter was considered so notable that the Media Awareness Network featured one version of it in a tutorial determining the credibility of a web page. The tutorial concluded that the Markle letter was not credible.[30] Betty Martini, who posted similar messages to Usenet newsgroups in late 1995 and early 1996,[4] claims that an unknown person combined her original letter with other information and redistributed it as Nancy Markle.[31] [32] She believes that there is a conspiracy between the FDA and the producers of aspartame.This conspiracy theory has become a canonical example discussed on several internet conspiracy theory and urban legend websites.[33][34][4] Although most of the allegations of this theory contradict the bulk of medical evidence,[3] this misinformation has spread around the world as chain emails since mid-December 1998,[4] influencing many websites, such as those citing an association between aspartame and systemic lupus.[33] It has become an urban legend that continues to scare consumers."

There's a LOT more where that came from, and it is possible to search for, and find, CREDIBLE SCIENTIFIC studies on both substances. It's fun to indulge in speculation and conspiracy theories, but when it comes to health issues, I would look only to MULTIPLE CREDIBLE SCIENTIFIC STUDIES that come to the same conclusion. Why did I choose to quote Wikipedia? Because the sources cited are verifiable, and because Wikipedia summarizes in one place what I would have had to go to multiple sources to get.

First time I tried Zero, I didn't like it. I have been a Coke Light drinker for years now. Then 1 day there was no other choice but Zero so I tried it again, the taste kinda grows on you. While I still prefer Light, I now don't have any problems drinking Zero if left with no other choice

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Stopped drinking Coke Zero (and all other no-calorie drinks sweetened with aspartame), kasi it induces artificial hunger. 2 hrs after a full meal, gutom na naman ako sobra. WHen I stopped drinking, totoo ngang nawala din yung mysterious hunger pangs ko. Back to original Coke, pero hinay-hinay lang kasi loaded with sugar.