Beer Drinkers -- What Is Your Beer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

San Miguel Beer was always Pale Pilsen when I was growing up although they already had Cerveza Negra even then, it was always a novelty as a beer. So for me real beer is still SMB Pale Pilsen. San Mig Lite is a water down version of the Pale Pilen for more money to me. Red Horse is also good but just too heavy for me sometimes. All the rest of the SMB products are just marketing ploys to saturate the market to put all other competition at bay.

When I was in the US in the mid 80's, SMC tried to market San Miguel beer in the states. Even in California where there where so many Filipinos, SMC miserably failed to market their product effectively. Even in San Francisco where I was staying you could not get hold of San Miguel beer. Even Filipino restaurants in Daly City like Tito Rey of the Islands and Mayon Restaurant did not serve San Miguel. Someone told me at the time that the reason we couldn,'t get hold of our brew was SMC tried to bypass the beer distributor Mafia. The beer distributing business was tightly controlled by well entrenched beer distributors. You could only sell through them or nothing. They could coerce the beer retailers to only get the products they sell otherwise they will not sell the other brands to them. So I had to de-acquire my taste for my cold San Miguel for a Budweiser. After a few rounds of Budweiser-the king of beer, my taste buds had fully forgotten its preference for San Miguel. So for twenty five years or so, my brew of choice was Budweiser.

• 2 weeks later...