Computers: Frequently Asked Questions

For those using Acer laptops and netbooks.. (ventilation intake usually located underneath, near the front; exhaust loacated on the left side)

Get a laptop cooler, preferably yung may 3-fan versions and meron deployable legs (increases the space between the cooler and table, bed,etc..)..

Since laptop coolers basically suck hot air (supposedly from the underside of the netbook) then konti lang yung ma-f-feed na air into the ventilation inlet.. ergo, less air intake sa netbook, less cooling inside..

Ganito ginawa ko: I opened the laptop cooler and turned every fan upside-down..closed the casing..attached the cooler sa laptop..patong ang laptop sa cooler.. viola! cold air from laptop cooler fed towards the ventilation intake. decreases the heat on the underside and innards of the notebook.. less heat felt on the exhaust din..

Any feedback from users of Windows 8 OS?

I've used it on my dad's computer that he recently bought. Nakakalito sya compared to the previous Windows 7 and XP. It's different since wala nang start button and you have switch between the interface made for a touchscreen and the one that's probably opitmal for a mouse and keyboard. You'll get the best experience from it if you have a computer with an LCD touchscreen and a mouse and keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...

a cheap alternative would be to get a book & put the laptop edge on top of the edge of the book. this will increase the gap (necessary for airflow) between the bottom of your laptop & top surface of the resting table or bed. just make sure the two materials (book & laptop) overlap only on the edge not all over

Make that 'hard bound book'

guys question.... i have a ati 5850 gpu xtreme series how do i set up the eye finity feature and what ports and cable do i use??

The main problem here is the lack of monitors with displayport cables. Or you can buy a very expensive ACTIVE displayport adapter (about $60) to make it work.

• 1 month later...

Bakit sobra kung mag-init laptop ko? Nag-iinternet lang naman ako. Ano kaya puede remedyo dito?

As mentioned by some, excess heat is usually brought about by blocked exhaust or intake ports, yung mukhang grilles sa ilalim and/or sides ng laptop. Kung meron kayong vacuum cleaner, gawin nyo ito (please make sure na naka-off ang laptop nyo at nakatanggal ang battery) vacuum the intake ports (yung hinihigupan ng hangin papasok sa laptop), dito ang malaking probability na maraming alikabok o cobwebs (magugulat kayo minsan at meron talagang sapot ng gagamba sa mga laptops). Kapag naka 3-5 minutes na kayo ng vacuum sa intake ports, vacuum naman po kayo sa exhaust ports ng laptop (dito yung nararamdaman nyo yung mainit na hangin na lumalabas sa laptop nyo). After that, kung may temp monitor kayo, mapapansin nyo na lower na ang operating temperature ng laptop nyo sa normal use.

In usage naman, madalas ko nakikita sa mga pics na nakapost sa FB, Instagram, etc... karamihan ng users ginagamit ang laptop nila sa ibabaw ng kama. This is a big no-no for most laptops which usually have intake ports at the bottom. Natatakpan kasi nito ang intake and as a result, walang malamig na hangin na nahihigop ang fan, leading to overheat. As mentioned by another poster, lagyan na lang ng libro or something that can prop up the bottom of the laptop without blocking the ports.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Im kinda thorn between Samsung Galaxy s4, Sony Xperia V, Xperia SP, and Galaxy Mega. Any recommendations guys? Sawa na ko sa 4s ko eh, narealize ko amboring talaga ng iOS.

Why don't you try the ipad or other tablets?

It is boring to play around on a small screen.

Im kinda thorn between Samsung Galaxy s4, Sony Xperia V, Xperia SP, and Galaxy Mega. Any recommendations guys? Sawa na ko sa 4s ko eh, narealize ko amboring talaga ng iOS.

You may try Galaxy S4 or Galaxy Note 2. S4 has the capability of using dual camera and multitasking, as for the galaxy note 2, is for bigger display. I don't recommend any sony as of now.

In my experience between Iphone, Samsung and Sony:

Sony's got some issues with their receiver.

Iphone is lacking the crispy screen that Samsung offers... It also lacks multitasking ability but Iphone's use of the camera is more clear than Samsung(or i just don't know how to use the samsung's camera).

As for Samsung S4. The battery sucks bigtime as it uses LTE, battery of iphone 5 is much better even if using LTE. But for multitasking, Samsung Galaxy S4 wins.

Im planning to buy a laptop.

Main purpose: writing papers, surfing, a little photo editing /archiving, video streaming/watching, sound tripping

Secondary purpose: games, edit my ipod formatted in a mac.

Budget: up to 55k

Which is the better choice: macbook or windows-based laptop?

Main purpose: writing papers, surfing, a little photo editing /archiving, video streaming/watching, sound tripping

What type of gaming, may I ask? Personally, I'm a Windows guy because of the number of programs readily available for the OS. Mac doesn't really have much games that go with the OS if you're looking into hardcore gaming.

Also you get your money's worth in terms of hardware specs with a Windows-based laptop.

What type of gaming, may I ask? Personally, I'm a Windows guy because of the number of programs readily available for the OS. Mac doesn't really have much games that go with the OS if you're looking into hardcore gaming.

Also you get your money's worth in terms of hardware specs with a Windows-based laptop.

Right now, flash games will do. Though I may look for old school rpg like the sims

Since I can't edit my ipod in a windows laptop, am I left with no other recourse but to reformat it?

• 3 weeks later...

Since playing games is your secondary purpose, get a macbook. And Apple products tend to perform better on audio video applications.

• 4 weeks later...

Do modern laptop batteries need to be fully charged and fully discharged to prevent memory effect? Or can they be charged anytime? I'm worried that charging batteries of laptops and other gadgets such as mobile/smart phones without first completely draining them of charge may shorten the operating life of the battery.

Nope, depende lang siguro sa paggamit, ok lang naman yan but (i dont know if someone would agree) but totoo yung nababawasan ng liffespan ang battery ng laptop.

Me dalawa akong laptop dati, yung isa ginagawa ko yung ordinary charging at discharging, ang effect is nabawasan ng lifespan ang baterya ko after 1 year (from 4 to 2 hours) kaya ang 2nd laptop ko is nakadirekta minsan at kung alam kong hindi mawawalan ng kuryent, tinatanggal ko na lang yung baterya

Edited by evilson

sir, what would be the signs of a hard drive failure in a laptop?tnx

sakin, biglaan na lang itong magpapakita lalo na kung:

1. minsan hindi na makita ng bios ang hard disk mo

2. nagkakaroon na sya ng bad sector pang nag chkdsk

3. courupt ang files(depende kung anung drive)

pero ang mahalaga, kung nagkaroon ka ng ganitong mga problema, panahon na para mag backup ka na

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For a budget of up to 30k, my techie officemate suggested that I buy either of these:

Lenovo g480, Asus k450ca

Im using it for typing, surfing, movie watching, sound tripping, playing rpg like the sims, possible photo and video editing.

Any opinion? TIA.

i dont care about brandnames. i always pay attention to the specs particularly the processor speed. the rest can easily be added. but i will never buy an HP because my stupid bro in law works for them.

Edited by nolz