Motorcycles and Scooters

Guest Dennis®
great. u plan to go to clark this sunday?

dude, tama nga. hindi subic, but clark pala. anyway, hope to see you guys on sunday. i'll be there at around 8am.

ride safe everyone.

why are riders so hated? to the point that some people would intentionally go out of their way to make life miserable for riders?

nagtataka lang ako.

Not all, it is because any dingbat can get a motorcycle. And these people ride their bikes as if it will be taken away by the repo man the next day.

Education and responsibility plays a big part of this, and it seems some of our fellowriders are too young for that.

I wonder why people upgrade their rides even if payment is due for some long months.

why are riders so hated? to the point that some people would intentionally go out of their way to make life miserable for riders?

nagtataka lang ako.

One thing i've noticed is that people in cages get freaked and irritated when they don't see a biker coming from behind, and when they perceive that we're cutting it close when overtaking and getting in front of them. You do see bikers doing that often. Then there are the differences in rhythm, spatial relationships, vehicle dimensions, speed and ability to accelerate and stop between bikes and cars. So perceptions and reaction time are different as well, when one is riding and one is driving. As riders, when we time an overtake properly, we know that relative to speed and distance, the cage will never hit us. But the driver's perceptions are different, especially in limited road space, and he gets pissed off.

Plus a driver feels resentful when he sees a rider pulling forward and disappearing up ahead, dealing with traffic much better than he can, while he's stuck in place (that's one reason why we ride bikes, right?).

For better safety, whenever possible, i try not to stay in the blind spots of cages (areas of the road that cannot be seen while looking forward or through either the rear-view or side mirrors in a car). This way, there is more of a chance the driver can see me, but of course the road environment is fluid and there are many drivers whose minds are on other things. Also when overtaking, i try as much as i can to judge speed and distance so, that when i get in front of a cage, i don't violate the driver's sense of safety. It helps to wait until i can see him fully in my side mirror before pulling forward in front of him.

For me, it also helps to anticipate hat other people on the road will always do stupid things.

Riding with bike headlight on also makes you more visible, which is why some bikes are designed for the lights to turn on with the ignition.

Ride safe.

Guest Dennis®

here is one of the best approach in tackling that problem, just assume that the cars infront, beside and behind you doesn't see you. so you have to be alert all the time. when i'm riding my bike, i try to stay clear off their path. minsan, napansin ko may palapit ng palapit sakin na sasakyan (to my left) nung tiningnan ko yung driver, he was texting. <_< stupid moron! always ride defensively. and try not to be a stuntman when riding your bike. hindi ko naman nilalahat. pero minsan kasi may mga nakikita ako na kung sumingit eh akala mo hinahabol ng SWAT. it's ok to overtake, for as long as, you think it's safe to do so. basta ride defensively. tandaan niyo, minsan lang tayo magkamali (it may be our last) wear safety gears also. :thumbsupsmiley:

maiba naman, sino nagpunta clark yesterday, ang balita is someone died sa ironman challenge. driver was from alabang (i think) and he was riding a BMW K1200. ang kwento ng marshal is he was navigating a turn, eh nag overshoot. sumasak sa ilalim ng parked truck. hindi bumitaw sa bike. and sa lakas daw ng impact, eh sumabog 2 gulong ng truck. :blink: well, yun ang kwento. i saw the bike and it was a wreck.

maiba naman, sino nagpunta clark yesterday, ang balita is someone died sa ironman challenge. driver was from alabang (i think) and he was riding a BMW K1200. ang kwento ng marshal is he was navigating a turn, eh nag overshoot. sumasak sa ilalim ng parked truck. hindi bumitaw sa bike. and sa lakas daw ng impact, eh sumabog 2 gulong ng truck. :blink: well, yun ang kwento. i saw the bike and it was a wreck.

that's sad to hear.

Its true dennis, and i saw the wreck too sa picture nga lang from our guys. Deepest condolences to Ariel's family and friends.

sama sana ko sa ClubR sa salubong kaso the S4 is not yet ready, i still havent change the tires yet kaya di nakasama.

Its true dennis, and i saw the wreck too sa picture nga lang from our guys. Deepest condolences to Ariel's family and friends.

sama sana ko sa ClubR sa salubong kaso the S4 is not yet ready, i still havent change the tires yet kaya di nakasama.

Condolences and prayers on the passing of Ariel.

greetings from a fellow vespinoy.

i spoke to jake swann (he finished the endurance run, incidentally) and got details on what happened in the run.

it seems a lot of riders (many newbies) were actually unprepared for the conditions that they encountered - cold, wet, gusty winds, slippery roads, etc.

my sympathies go to those who had mishaps, and particularly to the rider who lost his life.

ride safe always ...

greetings from a fellow vespinoy.

i spoke to jake swann (he finished the endurance run, incidentally) and got details on what happened in the run.

it seems a lot of riders (many newbies) were actually unprepared for the conditions that they encountered - cold, wet, gusty winds, slippery roads, etc.

my sympathies go to those who had mishaps, and particularly to the rider who lost his life.

ride safe always ...

Yes, another rider who was there told me that in Cagayan, he was with someone whose hands had gotten so cold he could not roll on properly going into a curve, and so he went down.

Also, if possible, it's always a good idea to get pointers from riders who are knowledgeable about conditions to expect when riding somewhere, especially if it's a challenging ride.

Ride safe.

dcrazyrascal -

you'll be glad to know that the vespa scene in the philippines is alive and kicking. there are a couple hundred of us in metro manila alone, and most of those riders belong to one of three scooter clubs that have vespa and other european scooter enthusiasts and owners.

check out the websites/forums of:

vespinoy

vespa club of the philippines (VCOP)

euroscoot

scoot66

i myself ride a vespa GT200L. do you ride a vespa? what model?

ride safe!

sir, how old is your vespa? i seldom see a vespa on the road (except those Yellowcab delivery vespas).

mine's a px150 i bought way back in '98. still in pretty good condition

^

yeah, you'd be surprised at how many vespa enthusiasts there are in the city. they're a pretty varied and fun bunch to hang around with

I checked the vespinoy site, and glad to see that the vespa scene here is so festive. Mine is just like the Paper Replica in the vespinoy site. Vespa 150, been in the family from 1980. Restored once. And I am planning to give it some new paint and chrome some parts. Is there a store here selling accessories for vespa (an old vespa, that is)?

dcrazyrascal -

you'll be glad to know that the vespa scene in the philippines is alive and kicking. there are a couple hundred of us in metro manila alone, and most of those riders belong to one of three scooter clubs that have vespa and other european scooter enthusiasts and owners.

check out the websites/forums of:

vespinoy

vespa club of the philippines (VCOP)

euroscoot

scoot66

i myself ride a vespa GT200L. do you ride a vespa? what model?

ride safe!

there are actually several vespa & other european scooter suppliers in the metro.

foremost is 2211works in leon guinto malate. they sell brand-new and secondhand units, parts & accessories.

they also do full servicing of units - repair, maintenance, body restoration and painting.

check the vespinoy forums for other parts and accessories vendors; whatever you need, they probably have it.

my first vespa was a PX150E that i had for 8 years. i had to part with it to trade up to the GT200L.

ride safe ...