Overrated Nba/pba Players

We have a new winner for most overrated (read: overpaid) player this year because the Cleveland Cavs just folded and awarded Tristan Thompson an $82M contract for 5 years. That's more than $16M/season which makes him the 6th highest paid PF in the NBA. Wow. If that's not overrating him, then I don't know what overrated means. :lol:

Kobe now

i think he's not being rated high as he was before. espn ranked him 93rd best in the current nba player rankings. i don't really agree with the ranking. i don't really think he should be ranked that low, i would maybe rank him as low as 20th because his play has deteriorated these past 3 seasons but not as low as espn ranked him,

Kobe Bryant ranked 93rd in #NBArank countdown

ESPN.com’s #NBArank project is counting down the NBA’s top players for this upcoming season. Over 100 NBA experts from across ESPN (including analysts, writers, researchers and editors) participated in this season’s #NBArank project with the goal of ranking players in terms of both quantity and quality of each player’s contributions to his team’s ability to win games in the upcoming season.

The countdown continued on Wednesday with Nos. 100-91, with Kobe Bryant coming in at No. 93. Bryant was ranked No. 6 in the 2012-13 countdown, then dropped to No. 25 the following season and was No. 40 last year.

At No. 93, Bryant is still the highest-ranked player on the Los Angeles Lakers. Every other team in the NBA has at least one player ranked higher than him, making him the lowest-ranked "best player" on any team.

Bryant is slated to make $25 million this season, more than any other player in the NBA, and his $54 million over the past two seasons is by far the most of any player. We take a look at why Bryant has fallen so far:

Recent production

In the 41 games Bryant’s played over the last two seasons, he has averaged 21.1 points per game and shot under 38 percent from the field. That’s the worst field goal percentage over any two-year stretch in the shot-clock era in which a player averaged at least 20 points per game.

There were 18 games last season in which Bryant took at least 20 shots. He did not make half of them in any of those 18 games.

So why has his shooting percentage dropped?

Bryant is not getting as many close looks as in the past. Last season, 25 percent of his points came in the paint, the lowest mark of his career; entering last season, 34 percent of his career points came in the paint.

He is also not getting as many open looks. Last season, Bryant took 15 shots per game in which a defender was within 4 feet -- the highest average of any player in the NBA.

All this adds up to Bryant ranking 175th in half-court points per play out of the 185 players with at least 500 plays in the half court last season.

Less efficient

ESPN’s real plus-minus measures a player’s impact on team performance per 100 possessions. In general, it passes the smell test. The top five from a year ago? Stephen Curry, Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, LeBron James and Anthony Davis. There is also an offensive and defensive component.

Bryant ranked 245th in RPM last season. His rating on the defensive end ranked among the 20 worst in the NBA.

Though Bryant has been less efficient, the on-the-surface numbers are still there for him. Last season, he was one of five players to average 20 points, five rebounds and five assists. The others? James, Harden, Russell Westbrook and Blake Griffin.

What to expect

The 2015-16 season will be Bryant’s 20th in the NBA; he will break a tie with John Stockton for the most seasons played for one team in NBA history. Bryant will also become the first guard in NBA history to play a 20th season.

Can he stay healthy? There’s not much to go on historically to project health. Only five other players -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Kevin Garnett, Moses Malone, Robert Parish and Kevin Willis -- stuck around long enough to play a 20th season. Only Abdul-Jabbar and Parish managed to play in 60 games that season.

This will be Bryant's age-37 season. Out of the 72 NBA seasons by guards age 37 or older, two averaged 20 points per game (both of Michael Jordan’s Wizards seasons), 18 averaged double figures in points per game, and 23 played in at least 70 games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/110204/kobe-bryant-ranked-93rd-in-nbarank-countdown

si michael jordan. some people are overrating him as the greatest basketball player ever. the flashiest and the most flamboyant, no argument there. but as the greatest of al time?!? he is ONE of the greatest, NOT the greatest.

If he's one of the greatest, perhaps calling him the greatest is not too far of a stretch, right? Therefore NOT overrated. ;)

an overrated player for me that's currently playing now is rondo. can't even develop a reliable jump shot. his short comings were often covered up by KG, ray allen and pierce. sure he can penetrate the D and make plays for the team but with the way defenses are being played, they tend to favor guards who can score and Rondo is being left open by opposing guards because they know he can't hit the side of the backboard with his jumpshot. not to mention he is a very bad free throw shooter for a guard that's embarrassing and yet they still rate him as a top guard of the league.

an overrated player for me that's currently playing now is rondo. can't even develop a reliable jump shot. his short comings were often covered up by KG, ray allen and pierce. sure he can penetrate the D and make plays for the team but with the way defenses are being played, they tend to favor guards who can score and Rondo is being left open by opposing guards because they know he can't hit the side of the backboard with his jumpshot. not to mention he is a very bad free throw shooter for a guard that's embarrassing and yet they still rate him as a top guard of the league.

I'm convinced. Pero may konting bias ako dahil hindi siya naging professional nung nasa Dallas sya. :lol:

I'm convinced. Pero may konting bias ako dahil hindi siya naging professional nung nasa Dallas sya. :lol:

that pitstop was a Diva moment for him, he tried to sabotage the team when he didnt get what he want from the coach so he tried to be a prima donna about it. besides their offense suffers when he is on the floor. good thing carlisle benched him for the remainder of his stay. unril they decided to get rid of him.

speaking of dallas, i remember the first time Odom was traded to the team. you could see it on his play. he didn't want to be in Dallas although cuban was happy when they got him. he found out later that odom wasn't happy being in Dallas away from the team he didn't want to leave but didnt want him. the lakers.

and now when Jordan didn't flip flopped to the clippers after agreeing to sign with dallas. kind of feel for cuban, i mean he is trying to get really good players to make the team competitive but some of them don't want to be there.

Edited by hahnz

i just stumbled upon this player who i read is getting 70 million over five years. Khris Middleton of the bucks. Do you think he is worth this much money? I think guys like Tristan Thompson are pretty common in players being paid this much money. It's not just Tristan Thompson theres a player on each team getting this much money, the question is, are they worth the money being paid to them? or is it just good strategy on the player's part to negotiate that type of amount because down the road they don't know how good they will still be, getting injured or having a bad season in the future.

Each team has their players' salary listed so you can find out how much money the player on that team is being paid. The only advantage a team has over the player is if the player has a guaranteed contract each season. Regardless if the player gets injured and doesn't play if he has a guaranteed contract he still gets paid. A non guaranteed contract like Anderson Varejao is an advantage for the team. Because if he gets injured and doesn't play, he doesn't get paid.

this is the link for all nba teams' player salaries

http://en.hispanosnba.com/salaries/teams/