• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Engine Oil - All About It

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

as an ex shell guy ... your regular multigrade diesel or gasoline engine oil is more than enough to give your car's engine the protection it needs. the main advantage of synthetic oil is it protects longer over time . i guarantee you if you change your regular oil every 5 k then you're more than protected. as a rule of thumb ...if you use synthetic oil you can extend your change oil from 5 thousand to 10 thousand.even more if you can have your oil quality tested and monitored.

fact is motor oils have a very looooooong usable life. here's a real life story. when i was with shell , i changed oil in january using synthetic oil. every month , i would draw out a 20 ML sample of oil from the engine. I would put in an equal amt of oil back to ensure adequate lubrication.

As a shell field staff ... i have the luxury of being able to send oil samples from my car to the shell lab. they would send me back a report that would advise me if the oil from the engine was still good enough to use.

To make the long story short , it took 12 months before the lab advised me to change the oil. My car ran over 20,00 Km over that span.

Edited by FF

diesel oil won't damage your engine but it will damage your catalytic converter.

the catalytic converter ? why so ? how does using a diesel engine oil in a gas engine affect the catalytic converter ? hmmmm. are you takling about diesel fuels or diesel engine oils?

as an ex shell guy ... your regular multigrade diesel or gasoline engine oil is more than enough to give your car's engine the protection it needs. the main advantage of synthetic oil is it protects longer over time . i guarantee you if you change your regular oil every 5 k then you're more than protected. as a rule of thumb ...if you use synthetic oil you can extend your change oil from 5 thousand to 10 thousand.even more if you can have your oil quality tested and monitored.

fact is motor oils have a very looooooong usable life. here's a real life story. when i was with shell , i changed oil in january using synthetic oil. every month , i would draw out a 20 ML sample of oil from the engine. I would put in an equal amt of oil back to ensure adequate lubrication.

As a shell field staff ... i have the luxury of being able to send oil samples from my car to the shell lab. they would send me back a report that would advise me if the oil from the engine was still good enough to use.

To make the long story short , it took 12 months before the lab advised me to change the oil. My car ran over 20,00 Km over that span.

I agree with you FF. I only change oil every 12 months with my accord using fully synthetic oil.