• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Leviticus

I've been conducting interviews for my company, looking to fill job positions for a startup BPO company. There were plenty of applicants (mostly nurses).

It was a good experience, me as an interviewer. I have been an employee for a number of years, with experience being the interviewee. Now that I am the interviewer it made me wonder if I was like them. In retrospect, maybe I was in some aspects.

There are plenty of tips, howtos, advises on WHAT to do during an interview. I think it would be better if there was also a WHAT NOT TO DO/SAY at interviews. There were plenty of instances where the applicant had good credentials but these are immaterial when it comes to the interview part, moreso when you do a no-no.

Here's a partial list/things not to say that I can recall now:

When asked why they took up (nursing) the course, don't say..

*My parents/relative told me to

*During enrollment for 1st year college I did not know the procedure for enrollment. However, my "kaberks" knew so I followed and copied their registration form."

*Kasi usong course

*Because I want to spend money and to render care

There were three job openings. During the initial interview I asked what job they were applying for. Never, ever, answer with ANY POSITION.

There is a second interview immediately after testing and examination. They were tested for: grammar, listening skill, and typing speed. Don't say..

*(Applicant failed all three tests) "It's great!" I was confused with his answer so I asked him to elaborate on why he considers it great, to which he replied "Sir, it's medium!"

*Slight

*It was so difficult. The tests should have been easy for me to pass it

*Sir, namental block ako

Share your interview horrors and experiences here on what not to do/say

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Leviticus

regarding attire:

even though it's "Uso" or "In" don't:

*come in flip-flops (slippers)

*even though you're wearing a blazer on top of it, NEVER go to an interview wearing something with a plunging neckline

-there was this applicant that did arrive for interview wearing the most revealing plunging neckline. ayun tuloy, hindi siya ang tinitignan ko, I was looking the other way (honest). ayaw ko macharge ng harassment, ni hindi pa siya empleyado

*jeans and appropriate polo is fine, but jeans and shirt is not

*remember to REMOVE your backpack and/or shoulder bags during the interview. put them down on the floor away from the view of the interviewer. don't put it on your lap.

-first impression matters in interviews. put yourself in the position of the interviewer. first thing that pops up in my head when I see someone HUGGING his/her bag is "insecure"

*if you know you are dressed inappropriately, be honest enough to acknowledge that you know you are, then explain why you. don't wait for the interviewer to point it out to you

• 4 weeks later...

HR gurus, I'd like to ask a couple of questions about sss, taxes etc.

Who files the itr? how can we file? what is the procedure in filing itr? what are the things needed to file? its been two years and our company seemed not informing us anything about income taxes.

How about the medicard? is this similar to other healthcare cards? I have not recieved any card from that institution yet my salary is being deducted

• 2 weeks later...
Sirs,

What executive search outfits can you recommend? How much do they charge?

Thanks.

Try this firm ... they are aggressive and quick in getting candidates placed

The PACSouth Company For Organizational Development & Executive Search

Unit 201 ERECHEM Building, Salcedo cor. Rufino Street, Legaspi Village, Makati City

E-mail: pacsouth@gmail.com

We would like to invite everybody working with any company, both private and government to give us information if your company is providing office uniforms to its male and female employees. These items are usually blouse, skirt, pants and blazer for female employees while it is barong or polo shirt with pants for male employees. Anyone interested to make additional income. Please PM your contact details. Referrals will be treated with utmost confidentiality. Thanks. :thumbsupsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...

question, humihingi ako ng certificate of employment sa dati ko na company and ayaw nila magbigay. certificate of clearance lang daw ang maibibigay nila at ang certificate of employment daw ay para lang sa mga active employee. is this true? kasi both COE and COC ang hinihingi sakin ng new employer ko. hindi ko po ma provide yung COE.

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone have an idea on the prevailing rates of experienced programmers in PHP/Mysql/javascript/ajax? or is there any company that offers this kind of service?

just need some info on the rates per project (update/development/etc)

tnx :thumbsupsmiley:

depending on experience, it ranges from 22-30k.

our company offers such kind of service. just PM me if you want more information.

Guest Leviticus

I once worked in a call center. Malaking issue at that time ang night differential ng mga employees. Luckily may night diff naman at that time when I was still at the company. Pati ang HR office agree sa amin na dapat lang na may night diff, and pinagtanggol pa kami sa management. Ang main reason namin was "nasa Labor Code". So we (employees) enjoyed our night diff.

According to the government website, night differential pay is described as:

B. Minimum Night Shift Pay

* Every employee is entitled to a night shift differential or night shift pay of not less than ten percent (10%) of his regular wage for each hour of work performed between 10:00 o'clock in the evening and 6:00 o'clock in the morning.

* If overtime work or work in excess of eight (8) hours falls within the aforesaid period, premiums for overtime work should first be integrated into the regular hourly rate of the employee before computing night shift pay.

however..

Now that I am running a BPO company problema na ang night diff na yan. Gusto ko tangalin ang night differential na yan since ang regular work hours ng mga personnel ko is during our client's working hours, particularly at night. tindi kasi ng percentage para salary eh.. +10%.

I know the side of the employee and know the main reason that it is in the Labor code. However, the labor code was not designed with BPO graveyard shifts in mind. malulugi ang BPO companies dahil sa night diff na yan. Aside from the night diff ay ang holiday pay, since ang work ng BPO industry follows the client's calendar. Mahirap ang magpa force leave; also another issue in my previous company.

question ko ay what other compensation can I give my employees instead of the night diff, or how do I circumvent this night diff altogether?

*to the moderators, I don't know if I should have posted this in the Politics and Current Events section since this involves a debate of the Labor Law. If I was mistaken in posting it here at the HR thread please transfer this accordingly. Thank you.

Guest Leviticus
hi folks,

is it an absolute rule to file a 30-day notice when resigning?

what are the implications of not doing so.

thanks and great thread!

not 30-day notice.. minimum ay 15 days or 2-weeks' notice.

implications?

no clearance

no clearance = no final paycheck

bihira ang 1 day resignation, which is bad because it may reflect that instead of being fired you just opted for immediate resignation or may ginawa kang kalokohan kaya ka umalis agad.

you want ang example? yung hinayupak na Benjamin Abalos!!!

hi folks,

is it an absolute rule to file a 30-day notice when resigning?

what are the implications of not doing so.

thanks and great thread!

Strictly speaking, yes it is an absolute rule.... unless the employer waives its right to insist on it.

As per LC:

ART. 285. Termination by employee. - (a) An employee may terminate without just cause the employee-employer relationship by serving a written notice on the employer at least one (1) month in advance. The employer upon whom no such notice was served may hold the employee liable for damages.

question lang mga HR peeps:

"Are consultants/contractual employees subject to overtime pay? "

Work of all employees (including contractuals) are subject to overtime pay, except for those explicitly mentioned below. (Consultants are strictly not employees though. Best to check with your lawyer for better definition)

ART. 82. Coverage. - The provisions of this Title shall apply to employees in all establishments and undertakings whether for profit or not, but not to government employees, managerial employees, field personnel, members of the family of the employer who are dependent on him for support, domestic helpers, persons in the personal service of another, and workers who are paid by results as determined by the Secretary of Labor in appropriate regulations.

As used herein, "managerial employees" refer to those whose primary duty consists of the management of the establishment in which they are employed or of a department or subdivision thereof, and to other officers or members of the managerial staff.

"Field personnel" shall refer to non-agricultural employees who regularly perform their duties away from the principal place of business or branch office of the employer and whose actual hours of work in the field cannot be determined with reasonable certainty.