The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

The Interpreter is not your ordinary suspense thriller. Instead of bombarding our senses with car chases, exploding buildings and bullet exchanges, Sydney Pollack's new film appeals to our intelligence.

Nicole Kidman plays the role of Silvia Broom, a United Nations interpreter who overhears a death threat against African dictator Zuwanie (Earl Cameron). Tobin Keller (Sean Penn), a Secret Service agent, is assigned to Broom. After a preliminary investigation, Keller begins to doubt the veracity of Broom's statement. It appears that Broom herself has a motive to k*ll Zuwanie. Keller is hell-bent to find out the truth behind the death threats. If Broom is telling the truth, he will protect her from the people behind the assassination plot.

While the dramatic voice (plot) of The Interpreter is interesting and exciting, it is the film's narrative voice (subtext) that remains with us long after we have left the cinema. Pollack has painted a picture of Africa where race isn't an issue anymore. Everyone, either black or white, suffers the same fate in the hands of a tyrannical dictator. Zuwanie, the president of the fictional Matobo country, is representative of liberators turned dictators found in most third-world countries. Power corrupts - this is the inevitable truth expressed in Pollack's film.

Sean Penn's performance is highly commendable. Once again, he proves to us that he is a great actor. Penn effortlessly expresses the nuances of his character, so much so that Keller becomes a real human being. Even in situations where he has to keep a clear, logical mind, Penn subtly expresses his character's emotional baggage. We understand why he reacts that way, and we sympathize with him.

The same could not be said of Nicole Kidman. While she is beautifully photographed in this movie, her approach to her character is cold and unnatural. Her reactions are so repressed that she comes off as a cold-hearted woman. Thus, I wasn't able to sympathize with her when she turned the tables on Keller and Zuwanie.

I would also like to commend the film's musical director for his modern yet restrained musical score. It gives the movie a certain edge that pushes the movie's narrative voice.

The Interpreter raises a lot of issues, but it also offers a solution. The crimes against humanity committed by corrupt leaders like Zuwanie could be prevented and given justice if all countries, through the United Nations, would work towards diplomatic resolutions instead of aggression. There are peaceful solutions to violent situations. "Vengeance is a lazy form of grief," Broom tells Keller. It will not help us process our "grief" and move on towards a peaceful life.

Title: XXX2 the next level/state of the union

Cast: Ice Cube, Samule L. Jackson, Willem Defoe

Director: Lee Tamahori

There has been an attack on the NSA head quarters in Langley Virginia. Whoever did it is loaded for war and might be making a move on the U.S. Capital. Now agent Agustus Gibbons (Jackson) must find a new XXX agent that is deadlier, more dangerous and more attitude. Enter Darius Stone (Ice Cube), an ex navy seal jailed in a military prison for insubordination. They break him out of prison, then its all guns blazing galore. Can the new XXX save the day?

First of I can't help but compare this semi-sequel to the original. The original was entertaining in a dumb minded kinda way, but it delivered what it had to and it catapoulted Diesel's carreer into unimaginable heights. It changed the way at how we looked at secret agents. We got to see suave secret agents who never mess up thier hair or tuxedo after fist fighting with six men and getting out of a car explosion. But in XXX we got to see a bald, tatooed, uncivilized, buffed up and attitude ridden secret agent who's just out there to kick ass! And surprisingly it worked. Now if you liked Vin Diesel in XXX1 you will hate this movie!

Acting: The first mistake that this movie did was replace diesel with Ice cube. Ice Cube? No way! I was willing to give the premise a chance that a new criminal-turned-secret-agent will be featured in each series, but not with Ice Cube hell no! Why does he always have to be a ghetto hood in all of his films? Even tupac shakur played Janet Jackson's love interest, and Eminem did a quite convincing heavy drama. But Ice Cube really needs a complete idiots guide manual on how to act. he became a ghetto hood bum (Friday), a ghetto hood bounty hunter (All about the benjimens), a ghetto hood biker (Torque), A ghetto hood in outer space (ghost of mars) and of course a ghetto hood in the hood (Boyz n d hood). Ok maybe diesel is not an oscar worthy actor, but the reason why we all loved him in the first triple XXX was that he effectively fits his character, and we adored him with that attitude. Who could forget lines like "Ah the things I have to do for my country"! Ice cube delivered the same line in this movie, the only difference was that it sounded really cheesey and stupid. He couldn't even sound appealing when he was doing all that trash talking. Oh well at least Defeo was great as the villain, and Jackson undeniably is such a charismatic actor.

Story: Unoriginal! Boring! And too straightforward sometimes it didn't make a lot of sense. It didn't even make me wan't to empathize with the hero of this movie. The dialouges were verrrrrry lame and inept. But for those of you seeking explosions and all guns balzing kinda script, you will get it.

Direction: A lot of action scences enough to make a great eye candy. But! if you have been inside a bullet train running about 250 mph, you should know that the inside should be entirely sealed. Because that speed causes enough air friction or pressure to catapult a cow 50 to a hundred feet up. Yet we see them blowing holes in that train and still being able to coreograph a good fight scenes. Nobody can jump of a bridge that is a hundred feet tall, and swim out of the water without worrying about any concusions. But not only were the stunts not cool, they were also dumb. It kinda reminded me with the unforgettable movie Torque

I never thought I would have to say this, but here it goes! I missed Vin Diesel the whole time. Why oh why did he refuse this project? Why did I have to see him in the pacifier insetead of him returning as Xander Cage. And why was he killed in this sequel (They mentioned that he was killed), and ruining the possibility of him returning?

This movie does not live up to its subtitle "The Next Level" it should have been "the beginners level" instead. This is the diet coke of the old XXX

SHUTTER

Cast: Ananda Everingham and Natthaweeranuch Thongmee

Director: Banjong Pisanthanakun, Parkpoom Wongpoom

Plot: The horror begins when Thun (Ananda Everingham), a young photographer and his girlfriend, Jane (Natthaweeranuch Thongmee) accidentally crash into a woman by the street while driving a car. They decide to leave the dead woman and drive away. Later, Thun discovers an unexplained event when he finds a mysterious shadow appears on his photo. He thinks that's just a bad picture, but then he realizes there's something more behind the shadow -- the shadow shows as the shape of the face that's familiar to the dead woman. Now, the couple gradually finds out a terrible connection between the shadow and the photo.

Review: I was surprised, because this movie was actually pretty good, especially for a Thai movie. I have seen a lot of Asian horror, mostly Japanese and Korean, and lately they kinda bore, because they all look the same, and all have the same concept, a long black haired girl chasing people to their deaths. Yes, this film is extremely derivative of the genre, but everything Shutter does it does stylishly and effortlessly. Not only is it scary as hell, it has a wonderful and original plot line. This movie gets you in the right atmosphere right from the start, and it has almost every type of scene a horror fan can ask for. Most of the scare effect are things not seen in any movies and will really get a jump reaction. The storyline also has some really good twists that just make the movie even creepier. As well as the scares you've got good acting, a well structured plot and a really great ending - I didn't see it coming at all. What a fantastically well-made horror film. If you like a good scare, this film is not to be missed! This is a definite must see for all horror/thriller fans!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Edited by sickness

Title: Kingdom of Heaven

Cast: Orlando Bloom, Jeremy Irons, Liam Neeson and Eva Green.

Director: Ridely Scott

PLOT: When a widowed young blacksmith (bloom) meets his long lost father (neeson), who happens to be a knight serving the king of jerusalem, he joins him on his crusade to jerusalem to seek forgiveness for his wife's suicide and the murder he commited. But on the way, his father becomes gravely injured, defending his son from an attack of marshalls that were there to arrest him for the murder he commited. Eventually, his father's last wishes was for him to become a knight and serve the King of jerusalem. The blacksmiths journey takes hum to jerusalem, where he must rise to knighthood, and defend the kingdom of jerusalem against an overwhelming army of muslims.

Ridely scott is such an amazing director, and he did what oliver stone failed to do in Alexander. Simply putting it, Alexander was the wrong way of doing an epic time piece, Kingdom of heaven is the right way to do it. The script and some of the dialougues however are at times too complicated to make the story sensible. Little flaws in the script here and there nonetheless still made a good epic movie.......but not a great one.

Acting: The casting of this movie was perfect. It seems that time period-based films is becoming Orlando bloom's forte. Liam neeson and Jeremy Irons' presence, are short-lived in the entire film, but nonetheless memorable as loyal knights. Eva green's portrayal as the queen was simply outstanding.

Direction: The direction was good but not that great. Battle scenes are not that exciting but are decent enough to create eye candy. Its still however a notch down as compared to Scotts previous film gladitator.

Story: The story had promise as much as it had flaws. The premise itself had that promise to create a good story, but inconsistencies here and there made the whole movie flaw itself. For instance, a blacksmith who only had weeks of sword training suddenly becomes not only an expert swordsman but a genius military tacticioner. There are also time when the story could be a bit dragging.

All in all, its a good movie......just not great.

It's still a mystery to me why Ridley Scott's Gladiator won the Oscar for Best Picture. In the hopes of being enlightened, I decided to watch Scott's new film, Kingdom of Heaven.

The first time I watched it, I slept through half of the film. Maybe it wasn't the film's entire fault that I fell asleep. Maybe I was too tired. Maybe I ate too much. Whatever the reason may be, I decided to watch the film again to give it a fair review.

The second time I watched it, I nearly fell asleep. Now, I know the film is to be blamed entirely for altering my body clock.

In a nutshell, Kingdom of Heaven follows the story of Balian (Orlando Bloom), a blacksmith who went to Jerusalem to seek redemption for himself and his damned wife. On his way to Jerusalem, Balian meets his long-lost father (Liam Neeson), becomes a knight, falls in love with the sister (Eva Green) of the king (Edward Norton) of Jerusalem, and ultimately becomes the defender of the city against the Muslims.

Sounds simple and easy-to-follow, right? Well, Scott "unfortunately" succeeded in making it confusing and boring. The script's primary problem is its lack of interesting and well-defined characters. Balian's primary objective is to seek redemption. After the first 1/3 of the film, this objective was abandoned in favor of Balian playing the hero. When Balian returns to his hometown and visits the grave of his wife, we do not know if he was able to get the redemption he desperately wanted.

At the end of the film, you cannot sympathize with any of the characters because you are not given the opportunity to know them better. That is the reason why characters are given back stories, so that the audience will understand the characters beliefs, values and decision-making processes. Devoid of the characters' back stories, we do not understand why the Templar Knights are so blood-thirsty or why Tiberias (Jeremy Irons), the king's adviser, is so open to the Muslims.

The film also suffers from logical lapses. For example, where did Balian get his training for being such an intelligent and highly-skilled warrior? Is it really possible for a blacksmith to become a great knight in such a short span of time?

Kingdom of Heaven aims to launch Orlando Bloom as an action hero in the footsteps of Russell Crowe. Well, Bloom still has a lot to prove. He drowns under the performances of experienced actors like Norton and Irons. Among all the actors, Norton was the best as the leper-king of Jerusalem. He gave life to the film's only interesting character, and he did it without removing his character's mask. Norton's commanding presence was more effective than Bloom's uninspired speech to his men.

Given that this was directed by the director of Gladiator , the film fulfilled its promise of grand battle scenes. However, they failed to impress. We've seen better battle scenes in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The reason I'm giving this film two stars is its noble intentions. Kingdom of Heaven intends to give the present-day Jerusalem conflict an historical perspective. A holy city for three of the world's biggest religions, Jerusalem has been a witness to countless armed conflicts. It's as if who ever controls Jerusalem controls heaven as well. However, we have to bear in mind that good intentions are not enough to make a good film.

What a waste of talent! What a waste of money! And I still don't understand why Gladiator won the Oscar for Best Picture!

It's still a mystery to me why Ridley Scott's Gladiator won the Oscar for Best Picture. In the hopes of being enlightened, I decided to watch Scott's new film, Kingdom of Heaven.

The first time I watched it, I slept through half of the film. Maybe it wasn't the film's entire fault that I fell asleep. Maybe I was too tired. Maybe I ate too much. Whatever the reason may be, I decided to watch the film again to give it a fair review.

The second time I watched it, I nearly fell asleep. Now, I know the film is to be blamed entirely for altering my body clock.

In a nutshell, Kingdom of Heaven follows the story of Balian (Orlando Bloom), a blacksmith who went to Jerusalem to seek redemption for himself and his damned wife. On his way to Jerusalem, Balian meets his long-lost father (Liam Neeson), becomes a knight, falls in love with the sister (Eva Green) of the king (Edward Norton) of Jerusalem, and ultimately becomes the defender of the city against the Muslims.

Sounds simple and easy-to-follow, right? Well, Scott "unfortunately" succeeded in making it confusing and boring. The script's primary problem is its lack of interesting and well-defined characters. Balian's primary objective is to seek redemption. After the first 1/3 of the film, this objective was abandoned in favor of Balian playing the hero. When Balian returns to his hometown and visits the grave of his wife, we do not know if he was able to get the redemption he desperately wanted.

At the end of the film, you cannot sympathize with any of the characters because you are not given the opportunity to know them better. That is the reason why characters are given back stories, so that the audience will understand the characters beliefs, values and decision-making processes. Devoid of the characters' back stories, we do not understand why the Templar Knights are so blood-thirsty or why Tiberias (Jeremy Irons), the king's adviser, is so open to the Muslims.

The film also suffers from logical lapses. For example, where did Balian get his training for being such an intelligent and highly-skilled warrior? Is it really possible for a blacksmith to become a great knight in such a short span of time?

Kingdom of Heaven aims to launch Orlando Bloom as an action hero in the footsteps of Russell Crowe. Well, Bloom still has a lot to prove. He drowns under the performances of experienced actors like Norton and Irons. Among all the actors, Norton was the best as the leper-king of Jerusalem. He gave life to the film's only interesting character, and he did it without removing his character's mask. Norton's commanding presence was more effective than Bloom's uninspired speech to his men.

Given that this was directed by the director of Gladiator , the film fulfilled its promise of grand battle scenes. However, they failed to impress. We've seen better battle scenes in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The reason I'm giving this film two stars is its noble intentions. Kingdom of Heaven intends to give the present-day Jerusalem conflict an historical perspective. A holy city for three of the world's biggest religions, Jerusalem has been a witness to countless armed conflicts. It's as if who ever controls Jerusalem controls heaven as well. However, we have to bear in mind that good intentions are not enough to make a good film.

What a waste of talent! What a waste of money! And I still don't understand why Gladiator won the Oscar for Best Picture!

excellent review!

actually its really difficult for Orlando Bloom to assume such a lead role.. such casting i believe shortchanged the Crusades' story..

I still hav a very high respect for Ridley Scott as a director.. i want them to have the credit of portraying a very very challenging story considering the heightening rift between Christians and Moslems today.. actually, it's the Moslems who were lifted in this film.. thanks to the "dignified and gentleman" character of the Moslem conqueror Salahadin.. i believe that the production became extra sensitive.. that for me exemplifies social responsibility..

A. Caption

Title of the Film Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Director George Lucas

Lead Actors/Actresses Hayden Christensen, Natalie Portman, Ewan Mcgregor, Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Daniels, Jimmy Smits, Ian McDiarmid

Remarks Saw the film at Greenhills Cinema 2 May 18, 2005 10:25pm premiere showing of Episode III. Regular showing – May 19, 2005

B. Synopsis of the Movie War still rages on between the clone army and the trade federation. Chancellor Palpatine has been kidnapped by the trade federation army led by Count Dooku. Jedis Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi came to the rescue of Palpatine. Palpatine sense a new and powerful apprentice in the guise of Anakin Skywalker. Anakin was seduced by the dark side of the force because of his weakness on dealings with failure. He dreamt of his wife Padme Amidala of pain and suffering. He was conditioned by Palpatine on the belief that in order to save Padme from sure death he must learn the ways of the Dark side of the force.

C. Review/Criticism I just came home from watching Episode III…It’s 2:00am and I just have to get this off my chest. Being a fan and an avid follower of the Star Wars saga since 1977, I must say that this is the best Star Wars episode directed by George Lucas (he directed Episodes IV, I and II). The story is now in full circle. We finally came to understand why Anakin Skywalker was seduced into the dark side of the force. Personally, I already knew the story of Episode III before watching the movie but what I didn’t know how amazing George Lucas has translated it. Fans (myself included) have been criticizing Episodes I and II, but after watching Episode III, I would say Episodes I and II has been made better because of Episode III. Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine is the heart of the film in terms of acting. You could sense his deception of Anakin in terms of his facial expression. The love scenes between Anakin and Padme now felt real, you could feel Anakin’s love for Padme this time (in Episode II their love for each other seems forceful….sabi kasi ng director eh). In terms of special effects…who could argue against it? The special effects wizadry by Industrial Light and Magic has matured over the years since their training ground on Star Wars (1977). I wouldn’t want to be a spoiler so I won’t recount the story in details. My affection for Star Wars was somewhat diminished because of the lamed Episode II and the riduculous Episode I. Episode III changed my previous impression of the saga for the better. Episode III is a grand finale for the Star Wars saga and for Lucas himself (redeeming himself after the silly Episodes I and II) and it’s also a sad thing for me personally because there won’t be any Episodes VII, VIII and IX

D. Rating 5 out of 5 :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

STAR WARS EPISODE 3: REVENGE OF THE SITH

Cast: Hayden Christensen, Natalie Portman, and Ewan McGregor

Director: George Lucas

Plot: In this third and final episode, Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker will make a fateful decision. Having to choose between losing the one he loves or giving up his soul to gain the power to save her, Anakin will be seduced by the dark side of the Force.

Review: The Revenge of the Sith is the movie which completes the trilogy of prequels of Star Wars, the rise of the Empire and the transformation of Anakin to Darth Vader. We now know why. Why Anakin fell to the dark side, how the Jedi were destroyed, how the Skywalker twins were hidden- and how the empire was born.

I loved this film purely because it finished off what was started nearly 30 years ago, and it ends the Star Wars beautifully. This film soars as an achievement in storytelling and as a bridge to the original Star Wars trilogy. This film unlike both previous prequels does not suffer from the fatal flaw of bad pacing. The story is amazing. The acting is good overall. Hayden Christiansen is greatly improved, taking on a brooding style that slowly evolves into rage and menace that is, for the most part, entirely convincing. Ewan McGregor is also much improved, he takes on the character with an air of wisdom and dignity which shines through in the performance. The main weak link for me was Portman who still seems wooden and uncomfortable, especially in comparison to the improved cast.

The battle scenes are amazing. The light saber combat is the best of the series, from the first battle against droids, to General Grievous' 4-way saber wielding, to the spectacular fight above the lava. Even the Yoda is impressive this time, taking place in the Senate chambers, as the green guy faces up to Palpatine. They effects and the CGI work is truly stunning, and Lucas and his team have really excelled here. The huge swooping scenes, scale of battles and ships, camera movement through the CGI, etc. it's a wonderful sight to behold, and this time it doesn't overtake the story. Even the Jedi fighting scenes are a huge improvement, there are more, they seem slicker and involve the use of more powers.

It was wonderful to see the concept of what was good and what was evil from different perspectives, and how cheap the dark side really was. My favorite scene is when Anakin is defeated and almost burns to death, with just his hatred keeping him alive!

Episodes I and II do not even totally compare to this movie. I am completely satisfied by this film's ability to tie up the saga for me. The saga is now complete. Everyone can see this and enjoy its pure storytelling essence.

Revenge of the Sith.....or is it?

Yup, just saw episode 3 and it was just ok. I guess the original trilogy set a really high bar that the new set of Star Wars movies seem to struggle plot-wise.

The effects were downright awesome and so was the sound (Hail THX!). Its story is the darkest of the three but it seems to feel like they tried to jam so much in so little time that the plot sometimes went rediculously fast. It felt like being "force"(excuse me for the pun) fed at times and they tried to tie some lose ends with regards to the lore, with different results.

Overall, a good bit of entertainment for the 2.5 hours or so it runs. Word to the would be watcher try watching both volumes of the mini-cartoon series "Clone Wars" so you can better understand what happens in the movie including the beginning and a lot of subtle nuances.

3.5 out of 5 stars

BIKINI OPEN

If you're looking for a good alternative to Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, watch Jeffrey Jeturian's new movie, Bikini Open. Surprisingly, it is the best Filipino movie I have seen this year. (Not counting Dreamboy, of course.)

Everything about the film is "alternative" - from the screenplay's structure to the director's treatment. Even the medium used (HD video) is "alternative."

Bikini Open is a "mock-cumentary" on the Filipinos latest star-search shows. Cherry Pie Picache plays the role of an investigative reporter who is forced to cater to her viewers' demands (for purposes of higher ratings, of course). She covers a bikini open being held in one of Manila's cheap comedy bars. Throughout the movie, Picache interviews the contestants and investigates their private lives. She presents to us a batch of young Filipinos who would do anything to win the contest. Their reasons range from extreme poverty to extreme narcissism. That doesn't mean that Picache's character is noble. In fact, she resorts to "reality TV" to cater to her viewers' voyeuristic demands.

Bikini Open is a well-made satire on Philippine media and pop culture. It succeeds in making fun of the Filipinos' interest in beauty contests and star-search shows without forcing its theme down the viewers' throats. Jeturian and his writer, Chris Martinez, certainly know how to use comedy to bring their message across.

The cast is highly commendable, especially Picache. She easily shifts from nice to nasty in a beat. The use of new actors and actresses enhanced the "mock-cumentary" feel of the movie. Most of them acted so natural that you begin to doubt if they're acting or not. However, Jeturian could have spared Ricky Davao and Michael De Mesa from reprising gay roles that they have done before.

The HD video allowed Jeturian so much creative flexibility that his visuals looked fresh and innovative. Computer-generated graphics and visual effects spiced up most of the scenes. The sharp colors might jar the viewers at first, but they will eventually adjust to it.

The same could not be said about the audio, which is often out-of-synch and incomprehensible. Be sure to watch the movie in a cinema with a good sound system.

With the summer heat still going up, it's nice to know that there's a refreshing Filipino film to cool you down.

Title: Unleashead

Cast: Jet Li, Bob Hoskins, and Morgan Freeman

Director: Louis Letterier

Plot: Jet Li plays Danny, a man who literally has been raised to live like a dog. He has no normal human education, and has a peronality like that of a child. He even wears a colar just like a regular dog. Danny has nothing except his intincts to fight and k*ll upon the command of his owner Bart (Bob Hoskins). Once unleashed from his colar, Danny becomes a lethal weapon against any formidable adversary. He has also been used to fight in a gladiator-style showdown, in illegal fight clubs, where he makes money for his master. After a car shootout sends his master into a comma, Danny escapes and meets a blind piano tuner named Sam (Morgan Freeman). Sam and his step daughter, takes the wounded Danny into thier home, clothes him, feeds him, and used music to teach him about the essentials of being human. Then Danny eventually becomes reborn into a man. But when Bart and Dannys paths cross once more, Danny must use his figthing skills to protect his newly found family and uncover the truth about his past.

Review:

What do you get when you have dynamite action producer Luc Besson to produce a good script, martial arts superstar Jet Li in the lead role, Matrix and Crouching tiger fight coreographer Yuen Wo Ping, A-class actors Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freeman in the supporting cast, and to top it off, Europe as a location, and massive attack doing the music? An excting slam-bam asskickin martial arts flick....... with a heart! Who says action movies can't be heart warming?

I really enjoyed this movie, and I wondered why this film was so underated in the U.S. When I heard Jet Li was going to play a retard in this movie, I was like "Oh Boy, please don't let this be like Van Damme's forgettable The Replicant". But relax if you hated that Van Damme flick your going to love this one. Van Damme's Replicant, was the wrong way to make a martial arts hero play a retard, Jet Li's Unleashed is the right one. Definetly Jet Li can act as much as he can fight. Although he could use a little work with his english, It really did not matter for his character anyway. I always said that a good actor is the one who can create a character you'd wanna emphatize with. And sure enough from start to finish Jet Li delivers. I also kinda realized how difficult this must have been for Li since he had to perfectly portray the transition form Dog to Man. You also get to feel how Danny's character is reawakened, and how he learns the essence of being human.

Morgan Freeman's role as sam was nothing short of perfect. In fact I couldn't find a better actor to portray that role. He becomes Dannys father figure in this movie, and I could really feel thier affection for each other when Li and Freeman are put together onscreen. It was so real, that I could have been convinced That Sam might turn out to be Dannys biological father. Bob Hoskins should have played "The Kingpin" in that dare devil movie. His portrayal of a greedy, unmerciful, unhumane, and perverted Kingpin was simply chilling. This movie definetly found its perfect villain.

The script and dialougues of this movie was so good, that there were times I completely forgot I was watching a martial arts flick. But for those of you looking for great fights, you won't be disappointed in this one. Yuen Wo Pings magic definetly works on this one. Those cheesey Wire effrects and CGIs were minimized here, and the essentials of close contact combat is stripped to its purity and makes it really feel real. There are a lot of good fights scenes here. Spercifically, the one at the climactic showdown between lee and a bald guy, in a tight spaced bathroom cubicle. That was absolutely slick! And of course with massive attack working on the score/background music, it only made the fights more exciting.

But If I would get to choose among other Li's previous fight scenes. I don't think this was the best so far. But acting wise he does nail the Job. In the season where there is a lot of eye candy films competing for the general audience market, Im not sure if this movie will keep up. Obviously the story was not too original, and very predictable thus it lacked the element of suspense, which could have made this movie better.

Nonetheless a pop corn flick for all you Jet Li fans... with a heart

B+

MADAGASCAR

What would you choose: friendship or survival?

This is the central question of Madagascar, Dreamworks' latest animated film. It tells the story of four friends - Marty the Zebra, Alex the Lion, Gloria the Hippo and Melman the Giraffe - who are animal attractions at the Central Park Zoo in New York City. Pampered by zoo employees and adored by zoo visitors, these animals have no reason to leave New York...except for Marty. Marty dreams of breaking free from the confines of the zoo and spending his days galloping through the wild grasslands. His escape from the zoo leads to a chase that eventually puts him and his friends on their way to an animal reserve in Africa. Unfortunately, a bunch of "rebel" penguins takes hostage of the ship carrying the four friends, and they are swept away to the island of Madagascar. With the assistance of a kingdom of lemurs, the four friends think they could survive in Madagascar. For the herbivores, Madagascar is paradise, but for the carnivorous Alex, it is hell. He longs for the steaks served fresh daily by the zoo employees. In Madagascar, the only food he can eat is his friends. Driven by hunger, Alex' real nature emerges. Now, he has to make a choice: will he eat his friends or will he die of hunger?

I have to admire the creative team for posing such a brave question in an animated movie. This is a reality that everyone, including children, have to face. Life is full of such "survivor" questions. Had Madagascar fully explored this dilemma, it might have become the most intelligent movie of all time.

What separates animals from humans is our ability to think. In transcending the basic needs of survival, we are able devote time and attention in exploring our humanity. We develop social skills that enable us to work with fellow humans and establish a self-sustaining community. We use our imagination to express our innermost thoughts and emotions through works of arts. We are able to understand the world around us by studying science, and transform this knowledge into technological breakthroughs that make living easier. If you take away these layers of humanity, we remain as savage animals whose basic objective is survival. This is best exemplified by William Golding's novel, Lord of the Flies.

I thought Madagascar would go as far as Lord of the Flies. Why not? The anthropomorphic animals could have even discussed more complex questions: What is our definition of freedom? Why did we land in Madagascar? Why did our animators give us human qualities?

Alas, the movie did not pursue its central question. Perhaps the creative team was too afraid that they will alienate their target audience, the kids; thus, they opted for a safe and conventional resolution. While this has to be considered, it still isn't right for them to alienate their "paying" audience, the adults. Why pose a question that you cannot answer satisfyingly? Sure, others might say that posing the question is sufficient. The movie need not answer all of its questions. That is true, but the movie should have at least explored the question. It should have have presented to its audience all the possibilities and limitations in answering the question.

While it did not rise above the standards of an average animated film, Madagascar is still an amusing movie. The kids might love it, but the adults can find better movies to watch.

SIN CITY

Cast: Bruce Willis, Clive Owens, Mickey Rourke, Elijah Wood, Brittany Murphy

Director: Robert Rodriguez

Plot: A collection of interweaving stories all based in the corrupt, crime infested hell-hole that is Basin City. Heavily influenced by film-noir, the main storylines concern a hulking brute called Marv, who is seeking the murderer of a beautiful woman who was killed while asleep in bed with him (along with the help of her twin sister); a photographer called Dwight who is callously used by a manipulative woman and seeks revenge, only later accidentally killing a hero cop and having to cover it up; and a soon-to-be-retiring policeman called Hartigan who is incarcerated for a crime he didn't commit only to find, on his release, the girl he was protecting when he was framed is under threat from a sinister psychopath. All based on the brilliant graphic novels "Sin City" "A Dame To k*ll For", "The Big Fat k*ll" and "That Yellow Bastard", written and illustrated by Frank Miller.

Review: Sin City is a modern masterpiece and rightfully treated as an instant classic by today's media. Director Rodriguez brilliantly captures the deception, crime, and sin of Frank Miller's graphic novels. The film is extremely violent, but done in comic-book fashion rather than just gore. The film is shot in black-and-white with certain objects in color. Colors come in and out of the film to emphasize certain aspects of the story.

The movie is also very intriguing and fast-paced with some excellent direction and music. This movie has everything: cops and robbers grunt brawlers, sexy warrior women, Nazis, ninja wolf boys, corrupt politicians, hit men, talking dead men and yellow bastards. Violence is a constant theme in 'Sin City', it is stylish and brutal, and there is no mistaking its comic book roots. Acting is superb as you would expect from such an outstanding cast and the directing is amazing. The story moved at an enjoyable and action-filled pace. It' nice to see that there are different stories here, all representing different aspects of Sin City, and they transition and blend seamlessly. I liked all the stories and characters, but Marv (played brilliantly by Mickey Rourke) was the man.

One thing about this movie is that people tend to love it or hate it. People who hate the movie can't follow the unusual plot, can't sympathize with the cast of hit men and prostitutes and abhor the violence. This film is not your standard comic book movie. This is a comic book in its truest form, taken from the pages and thrown on a big screen. Check it out if you want some juicy, stylish entertainment.

HAPPILY EVER AFTER

The opening film for this year's French Film Festival in Manila is Yvan Attal's Happily Ever After (Ils se marierent et eurent beacoup d'enfants).

The story revolves around the friendship of three men. Georges (Alain Chabat) is unhappily married to a wife who complains that women are always being discriminated. Fred (Alain Cohen) is a Casanova who can't have a lasting relationship. On the outside, Vincent (Yvan Attal) seems to be the luckiest of them all. He has a beautiful wife, Gabrielle (Charlotte Gainsbourg), who is devoted to him. Thus, it came as a surprise when Vincent has an affair with a masseuse (Angie David). Even Vincent himself isn't sure why he's having an affair. Though no one tells Gabrielle about it, she feels that her husband is cheating on her and it breaks her heart. Since she has no poof, she couldn't confront him about it. She holds on to the marriage, hoping that her fears will dissipate. Slowly, Vincent begins to weigh the two women in his lives. The question is will Gabrielle be strong enough to hold on until he makes his final decision.

Written and directed by Yvan Attal, Happily Ever After treats a rather sensitive subject in a light and charming manner. Instead of following a strong narrative, this film works by presenting a series of character moments. It doesn't "tell" the audience the story. Rather, it allows the audience to "feel" the characters. That way, the characters become more real and sympathetic. In fact, there is no clear protagonist or antagonist in this film. Everyone, including the mistress, is a victim to human emotions that cannot be rationalized.

Supported by brilliant editing and a selection of well-chosen songs, most of Attal's scenes come off as fresh and charming. The food fight montage between Vincent and Gabrielle is the height of romantic comedy. So is the scene where their 6-year old son courts a high school student. The best scene, however, is the part when the mistress meets Gabrielle for the first time. The brilliant sequencing of shots and dialogues of the discovery is capped off by a heart-wrenching moment between the mistress and her mother.

Though it is full of wonderful elements, Happily Ever After is far from being a great film. The downside of not having a strong narrative is that nagging feeling of the film stretching its premise. Halfway through it, I feel that the director is running around the bush. I get the feeling that he doesn't know how to end the film. In the end, Attal did leave the film open-ended.

However, the ending is not as bad as it seems. In the film's most ironic moment, Gabrielle gets her revenge. This non-compromising resolution further stresses the point that in a moral dilemma such as adultery, there is no clear-cut answer.

Fairy tales end with "happily ever after" marriages. In real life, though, it is the start of an emotional roller-coaster ride.

Shutter

Challenging South Korea and Japan's dominance over the Asian horror genre, Thailand has produced several horror films in the last few years. The latest to hit the Philippine shores is Shutter, a surprisingly better-than-average horror movie.

Shutter is about two photographers-lovers, Tun (Ananda Everingham) and Jane (Natthaweeranuch Thongmee), who are haunted by the ghost of a woman (Achita Sikamana) they ran over and left dying on the road. At first, the woman haunts them through ghostly photographs only. Things get worse when the woman starts appearing in their apartment. During their investigation, the two are shocked when they learn that no one has been reported hurt or killed on the night of the road incident. Then, Tun's three male buddies commit suicide. Jane realizes that the woman is after them for another reason. Pressured by Jane, Tun reveals that the woman haunting them is actually Natre, his ex-girlfriend. The problem is he can't reveal to Jane why Natre's spirit is after him.

Yes, Shutter borrows heavily from previous Asian horror movies. There is nothing fresh about the narrative. In fact, it is utterly predictable and full of loopholes. Once you stop thinking about that, however, Shutter becomes a truly terrifying movie.

Aided by brilliant editing, the horror scenes will truly make you jump out of your seat. My favorite scene is the one where Tun is left alone in the darkness of his studio. I couldn't see anything, but I could hear a lot of sounds that shouldn't be there. In the darkness, I could feel Tun's terror. No matter how much I prepare myself for the horror scenes, I still get scared.

The directors, Banjong Pisanthanakun and Parkpoom Wongpoom, successfully balance horror and comedy with this film. Just when you think that you're about to scream again, the scene turns out to be a big joke and a really funny one at that.

Though the narrative is derivative, the film's final pay-off (Tun's neck pains) is completely original. It is so effective that it still gives me the creeps. It is also an ironic statement of love and hate transcending death.

With Shutter, Thailand proves that it is capable of producing effective horror films. I just hope that the Philippines is not far behind.

STAR WARS: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Due to work-related problems, it took me several weeks to bring myself to the cinema and watch Revenge of the Sith, the third episode of the Star Wars saga. Ever since it opened, people have been giving me conflicting reviews. The die-hard Star Wars fanatics cursed Lucas for giving them another episode that threatens to destroy the legacy of the original trilogy (Episodes IV-VI). The first-time Star Wars viewers enjoyed the movie's emotional sweep and special effects. The only thing they agreed on was that the dialogues, especially the romantic ones, sucked big time.

So, when I finally watched Revenge of the Sith, I made sure that I had no expectations. Quite surprisingly, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie...bad dialogues and all. Needless to say, it is my favorite episode after The Empire Strikes Back.

Before I watched the film, my general concern was how Revenge of the Sith would connect with A New Hope. The first two episodes were visually worlds apart from the last three episodes. I wasn't sure if George Lucas could bridge the two trilogies. More importantly, would Episode III make me feel excited to watch Episodes IV-VI, given that I already know its outcome? The answer is a resounding "yes."

Revenge of the Sith is probably the darkest and most serious of the six episodes. Bad acting and bad writing not withstanding, George Lucas adeptly presented Anakin Skywalker's descent into the Dark Side of The Force. My friends tell me that they found Anakin's descent too swift and his reasons too shallow. Although I am not a Star Wars expert, I beg to disagree.

One thing that has to be considered is Anakin's youth. He is a young man whose great potential is both a blessing and a curse. He hasn't yet come-of-age when all these great events unfold before him. Thus, his decisions were dictated by his own emotions. That is his character flaw, and it is what Palpatine uses to manipulate him. Thus, it was understandable when he feared for Padme's life. A young man who has no control over life and death would cling on to every possible solution. In a society where no one trusts him, not even his Jedi mentors, the young Anakin sought security in the arms of the most powerful man in the Republic, a man who became the father he never had.

The film has an emotional sweep that was missing in the first two episodes. As one betrayal leads to another, we see how the greed for power of one man can destroy the balance of an entire Republic, even turning friends into foes. The scenes where Anakin and the soldiers of the Republic killed most of the Jedi knights, even the young ones in training, are the most painful to watch. Yet when the movie ended with Obi Wan handing baby Luke over to his relatives, hope was re-instilled in my heart. There is a new hope after all.

That isn't to say that I saw nothing wrong with the film. For one thing, the fight scenes were too long and repetitive. Lucas could have shortened the screen time of the light-saber duels and devoted it to development of the narrative. Another thing that I could not accept was Padme's death. "She has simply lost the will to live" is totally unbelievable and unacceptable. It belongs to a soap opera, not a movie.

But more than anything else, Revenge of the Sith restored my faith in the Star Wars saga. It transported me back to my childhood days when I dreamt of becoming a Jedi Master. It made me believe once again that there are other worlds beyond the stars. That, my friends, is the magic of cinema, and that makes Lucas, at least with this film, one of its best magicians.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

cast: angelina jolie and brad pitt

director: doug liman

plot: two top notch assassins who are married whose real identity is secret from each other are tasked to k*ll each other

warning!! spoilers ahead

IMHO: SUCKED!!! big time... when the movie ended, i sat up from my seat and shouted "putsa... yun na yun??!!???" the only cool scenes from the movie were 1) angeline jolie falling cooly off the building after a job, using her chin link purse as a dropline, and she's wearing a black leather dominatrix outfit. 2) the car chase. wasnt that trilling but compared to the other parts of the movie, it's one of the only two things that sucked the least. music is a bore.. it failed to rev me up in the actions scenes. also the fight scenes were a bit too cliche, nothing new, nothing special. no really cool gadgets too... ending is so anticlimactic, and it sucks!!!!!

the movie in a nutshell: starts off with the couple ina sort of a couples therapy session, recounting how they met. fast forward to five or six years after they met, each was tasked by his/her outfit to k*ll the same guy. both failed and both assumes the other may be able to identify him/her, so he/she has to eliminate the other. each one identifies the other and starts to try to k*ll each other in their house. they end up pointing a gun to each other's face. pitt refuses to k*ll jolie cos, well, he fell in love with her. jolie cant pull the trigger either so they just end up having sex. then both their outfits send teams to dipatch them so what they do is grab the the guy they were originally told to k*ll and interrogate him on why he was so important. it turns out the guy is bait. both of pitt and joilie's employers found out they were married and they think its bad for business. pitt and jolie escape, go to a mall, and for the ending, they k*ll 20 or so other armed men. thats it.

• 3 weeks later...

HIGH TENSION (HAUTE TENSION)

Cast: Cécile De France, Maïwenn Le Besco, Philippe Nahon

Director: Alexandre Aja

Synopsis: In High Tension, Marie and Alex are schoolmates and best friends. Hoping to prepare for their college exams in peace and quiet, they decide to spend a weekend in the country at Alex's parents' secluded farmhouse. But in the dead of night, a stranger knocks on the front door. And with the first swing of his knife, the girls' idyllic weekend turns into an endless night of terror.

Review: "High Tension" for the last year has been one of the most hyped foreign horror films to come out of a foreign land; it is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of film. Haute Tension marks the return of the great slasher genre which has long been dead for a good number of years now. This French movie is well done visually and sound-wise. Minimal plot, but profound storytelling is not the goal of this movie, but to keep the viewers on edge, and does so successfully throughout. Technically it is made very well but the plot holes could get on anyone's nerves, but you don't really realize and think about them until after the movie has finished. The sound, directing, cinematography, and atmosphere are all very well set-up and the execution of all of them is very well done. The one very enjoyable aspect of the film was that is was entertaining! The gore effects were top notch, very old school and no CGI enhancements. Haven't seen anything this brutal in years!

I have a read a lot of discussions about the movie's TWIST ending and how different people have different views on it. Everything in the movie is open to interpretation. The ending initially didn't make much sense... but I think becomes clearer in your mind after repeated viewing. But if you give it another try, you will understand it more. It only makes more sense to watch it the second time. That’s what made it different and more impressive then the other slasher flicks. Still, a lot of people have the right to be disappointed but in a way, many perspectives may be drawn with regard to what the underlying meanings of the film are. This movie is messed up, but I liked it, in a weird way.

It’s still definitely worth watching for all the brutality and general nastiness but just don’t go into it expecting this great plot. It's a relentless, bloody, in your face, no holds barred, unnerving experience, which knows no limits or boundaries. If you let a twisty ending mess up your experience, then you have no business watching horror movies. While the ending left some apparent plot holes, I still enjoyed the film very much. It gives you more to think about than the average slasher movie. The movie is absolutely brilliant because it makes you think what you are seeing is the true story, but it is absolutely not. If you are immune to being grossed out to the max and have a cast-iron stomach, and like scary horror movies, you're gonna love this. . . . . Haute Tension will have horror fans screaming for more, while having them scratch their heads, wondering what it all means.

THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY

When my friends told me that we were going to watch The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (HG2G), I had no idea what the movie was all about. I didn't know that it was based on a book written by Douglas Adams, nor did I know that its later incarnations, as radio and TV shows, have achieved cult-classic status in the United Kingdom. I was simply prepared for a space-comedy, as compared to The Revenge of the Sith, which has been called by some people as a space-opera.

In a nutshell, HG2G tells the story of Arthur Dent (Martin Freeman), whose house is going to be demolished to build a freeway. As it turns out, there are other creatures, the Vogons to be exact, who want to destroy his "bigger house," planet Earth, to build an intergalactic freeway. Dent escapes the destruction of Earth with the help of his friend, Ford Prefect (Mos Def), who turns to be an alien temporarily living on Earth. Together they journey across the galaxy, eventually ending up in the Heart of Gold spaceship of Zaphod Beeblebrox (Sam Rockwell), the Galaxy's president, and Trillian (Zooey Deschanel), the only other survivor from Earth. A love triangle ensues between Dent, Beeblebrox and Trillian, but they have to put this aside when the Vogons once again attack the newly-reconstructed Earth.

HG2G is more like a British comedy show rather than a movie. Instead of having a plot to tie up the scenes, it relies on a series of witty one-liners and visual gags to keep it going. I particularly enjoyed the opening sequence about dolphins being doomsayers, and the character of Marvin, a perpetually-depressed android. It also offers some interesting ideas, e.g. planet Earth is actually a laboratory controlled by mice, who are using human beings as specimens.

However, I have to point out that this is a British movie. As such, I found it difficult to appreciate the British sense of humor, which can be very dry. Add to that my lack of knowledge of the original material, I did not get most of the jokes. I even slept through most parts of the movie because it seems nonsensical.

When I watched it again though, it began making sense. Maybe it is one of those movies that you have to watch again and again before you enjoy it. Until then, I might need a guide to fully understand and appreciate The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

War of the Worlds

Speilberg, once again, delivers. War of the Worlds not only entertains, it rivets you to your seat in anticipation. Sure, anyone who's heard about the book will know how the invasion ends, but that's besides the point. The real story isn't about the how the aliens are defeated, its about survival. Its about how ugly things can become when everyone's only concerned about themselves instead of looking at the big picture (ie the human race). If you want to see humans kick alien ass, go watch Independence Day. If you want to see an alien invasion from the POV of a normal guy, watch this.

Like many Speilberg movies, you can expect that special effects come only second to the story. I was kinda annoyed at a very pivotal scene where the US army was blasting the crap out of the alien tripods mainly because you never got to see the real battle taking place. You'd see shots of gunships and tanks firing in the background, but you never really see the battle taking place. But after watching the entire film, I understood why speilberg didn't put the battle scene. The point of the movie wasn't about the war itself, but the effect the war had on Ray and his family. (still, I can't help but wish there was a big battle scene)

War of the Worlds is definitely worth the price of a movie ticket. Pay the extra money and go to the smaller movie houses with the good sound system, because it's worth it. Most films lose a certain energy and edge when they aren't experienced in a good movie house. WOTW is one of those films which goes down several notches when you watch it at home.

Guest Leviticus

I too have watched War of the Worlds.

After watching I kinda got the feeling that this movie was influenced by SIGNS starring Mel Gibson. It's about a family surviving through an extraordinary circumstance. Through sheer luck and perseverance the characters somehow pull through in the end; aside from the other people who got disintergrated.

I think there's a parallel with WotW with Signs because:

1. There are many basement scenes

2. The theme about a family; single dad with his children

3. The actual aliens only get a few minutes' worth of movie time

4. It's because of simple reasons why the aliens are defeated (signs=water; WotW=bacteria/protozoa)

Review: 'Dark Water' spooky from start

By Christy Lemire

The Associated Press

Just when you thought it was safe to turn on the faucet comes "Dark Water," a thriller brave enough to tackle a subject that plagues every New Yorker at some time or another: bad plumbing.

We kid. It's actually better than it sounds. In the canon of recent scary movies of Japanese origin -- or J-horror flicks, for those of you in the know -- "Dark Water" is more deeply disturbing than the laughable remake of "The Ring" or "The Grudge," which was oddly antiseptic.

"Dark Water" falls into this category since it's based on a hit Japanese film directed by "Ringu" director Hideo Nakata, which itself was based on a short story by Koji Suzuki, who also wrote the novel "The Ring." And if you're a fan of the genre, you'll be happy to see that all the requisite ideas and images are represented. Water as a symbol of death. Cold, gray surroundings. A creepy little girl with long, dark hair.

The difference here is the pedigree: It's flawless from top to bottom. Jennifer Connelly, John C. Reilly and Tim Roth are among its stars. Brazil's Walter Salles ("The Motorcycle Diaries") is the director. Affonso Beato ("All About My Mother") is the cinematographer. Longtime David Lynch collaborator Angelo Badalamenti composed the score.

These are people who know how to create a mood, one that's inescapably spooky from the first frame. No big, fast scares here. Just a slow, steady boil.

But there's also nothing you haven't seen before. Glimmers of iconic horror movies like "The Shining" and "The Sixth Sense" are evident, as well as the far less effective "Hide and Seek" with Robert De Niro and Dakota Fanning.

"Do you have an invisible friend only you can see?" Connelly's character, Dahlia Williams, asks her daughter, Ceci (6-year-old Ariel Gade, whose dark hair and almond-shaped eyes could make her Connelly's daughter in real life, and whose poise makes her Connelly's equal on screen).

Dahlia and Ceci have moved into a cheap apartment on Roosevelt Island in a complex that could be a converted psychiatric hospital, with its bleak lighting, cinderblock walls and rumbling elevator. (Reilly, perfect as the falsely perky real estate broker, euphemistically describes their unit as being on the "lower penthouse level.")

And then there's the dripping water -- nearly constant and all over the building, but mostly in the bedroom Dahlia and Ceci share, plopping in gloopy puddles from apartment 10F above them. It's shot so viscerally, you can almost smell the musty, moldy odor.

All this is happening as Dahlia is in the midst of a bitter divorce and custody battle with Ceci's father (Dougray Scott). So when Dahlia learns from Ceci's teacher (Camryn Manheim) that her daughter has been talking to an imaginary friend named Natasha instead of playing with real kids at her new school, it seems normal. Children seek such methods of escape during times of crisis. No biggie.

But then the water becomes more insistent, as does the voice in Ceci's head, and eventually Dahlia starts hearing and seeing things, too. Is she going mad? Is she reliving abandonment issues from her own childhood? Did something horrible happen in 10F? Or is it just old, faulty plumbing? (Roth is nearly unrecognizable and dryly funny as Dahlia's lawyer, who helps her learn the truth about the building, even though he has secrets of his own.)

J-horror fans will figure out pretty quickly what's really happening here. For everyone else, there is a palpable sense of suspense as the film reaches its climactic revelations.

Connelly, an Oscar winner for "A Beautiful Mind," adds weight and realism to a role that could have been just another wide-eyed, shrieking damsel in distress. Every emotion -- from fear to determination -- flashes vividly across her strikingly clear features.

Too bad Hitchcock liked those icy blondes. If she'd been around 40 years ago, you could imagine Connelly ducking deadly birds instead of menacing drops of water.

FANTASTIC FOUR

I have to admit that the trailer of Fantastic Four was truly fantastic. It was so action-packed that I held my breath for the entire duration of the trailer. It made me forget about all the other superhero movies that I planned to watch this year. I told myself, "This will be a fantastic movie!"

Seems like I spoke too soon. After more than two years in the film industry, I should have known better than to trust trailers. The movie itself was a far cry from its trailers. It's just like watching an episode of Friends, only this time they are playing superheroes.

The movie simply presents the origin of the superhero group, which most of us are familiar with. I told my friend, Chicoy, that I didn't have to watch the film to know the story. The entire story could have served as the prologue or back story of the sequel, if there would be a sequel.

What the movie lacked was action...a whole lot of action. There were so few action scenes that it makes you question if you are watching a superhero movie. During the entire duration of the film, I never felt that the world was at risk and that it needed superheroes. Dr. Doom (Julian McMahon) was simply too preoccupied with his personal issues against Mr. Fantastic (Ioan Gruffudd) that he didn't care to destroy the world. The movie just feels so contained, so claustrophobic.

In place of action, the movie focused on the dynamics of the characters, which isn't much. There is a cheesy and predictable love triangle between Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman (Jessica Alba) and Dr. Doom. Who wants to know about that? The only interesting characters are Human Torch (Chris Evans) and Thing (Michael Chiklis). Unlike most reluctant superheroes, Human Torch relishes his popularity. He basks in it, and this makes him real and "human." On the other hand, Thing is a reluctant superhero simply because it gave him "real" problems. His physical appearance drives away the people that he loves. Being a hero becomes a real burden for him. He is not admired. He is feared. In the end, he finds true love in the eyes of a blind woman.

Among the cast, Michael Chiklis deserves some applause. Despite the tons of prosthetics on his body, he was the only one who gave an emotional, affecting performance. Chris Evans looked and played his part to the hilt. Ioan Gruffudd was just okay, nothing impressive. Julian McMahon looked sexy and dangerous at the same time, but that's just it. Jessica Alba could have stayed invisible throughout the movie, and no one could care. Not only does she not look like a scientist, she also does not act like a scientist. She wasn't good as a superhero either.

Fantastic Four is truly disappointing. It has some promise, but it never achieved its potential. Ho-hum. Wake me up when the sequel arrives.

HERBIE: FULLY LOADED

I remember watching the original Herbie on Betamax. I was still in grade school then. I believed in it so much that I thought our own car, a 1980 Mitsubishi Colt Mirage, was alive as well. For years, I was constantly talking to "Mirage," asking him to slow down every time my dad chases another car on the road or asking him to speed up whenever I feel that I'm going to be late for class. Scary, huh? Well, this went on until I found real, alive, human beings to serve as my friends. When that happened, "Mirage" just died. It simply became a car.

My point is I was hoping to recapture the magic of the original Herbie movie when my friends and I watched Herbie: Fully Loaded last night. Once again, I hoped for too much.

Herbie: Fully Loaded starts with Herbie, the Love Bug, in a dump heap. After a series of victories on and off the race track, Herbie's luck runs out. Failing to win a single race for years, Herbie was sent to the dump heap to be transformed into scrap metal. Enter Maggie (Lindsay Lohan), who just graduated from college and is looking for a second-hand car. After buying Herbie, Maggie gets into a series of trouble, culminating in a clash with an egocentric racing champion, Trip (Matt Dillon). Maggie is forced to race against Trip despite her father's (Michael Keaton) objections. Against all odds, Maggie and Herbie win.

This movie is as formulaic as it could be. Kids might love the underdog-turned-hero story, but adults will simply find it corny. Even Herbie's special effects scenes are meant to impress the kids only. Being an adult, I found the entire movie boring and predictable. The only interesting part for me was the opening credits, which showed the rise and fall of Herbie's career. I would have slept through the whole film, if not for the cheering kids behind me. Ah well, this is a children's movie after all.

Sadly, Herbie's magic has no effect on me anymore, and that dashes any hope for me and "Mirage" to rekindle our friendship.

P.S. Watching the movie as an adult, I got scared of Herbie for a moment. I mean, if I have a car that's "alive," it would totally freak me out. I would immediately assume that a demon has possessed my car. Who knows, Herbie might be a relative of Stephen King's Christine!

SARONG BANGGI

Yesterday, Star Cinema had a private preview of two Cinemalaya entries: Sarong Banggi and Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros. Both movies were produced by Raymond Lee's UFO Pictures.

Sarong Banggi (English translation: "one night") was written and directed by Emman Dela Cruz, a former Creative Consultant of Star Cinema. It tells the story of young boy (Angela Ilagan) and an aging prostitute (Jaclyn Jose) as they spend one night together. As they delve into each other's lives throughout the night, the prostitute uncovers a secret that changes both of their lives forever.

Sarong Banggi boasts of beautiful shots. I am tempted to hail Emman as the Philippines' Wong Kar Wai. His shots are artistically framed, filling the screen with a profusion of colors and memorable images.

The music is also great. It enhances the mood and tone of the film. However, the repetitive renditions of the theme song drew snickers from some of the viewers.

The concept in itself is very interesting. However, I feel that it is only apt as a material for a short film. Stretched to feature-length, the story loses its impact. It becomes loose, lumbering...as if it doesn't know when to end. There are certain sequences that could have been edited out to make the story tighter. As it is, the pacing doesn't help to get you hooked on the movie.

The script itself relies heavily on voice-overs and dialogues. While some of the dialogues are witty, most of it sound too literary to be used in a movie. I get the feeling that I would appreciate the material more had I read it rather than seen it.

Since the movie works on the premise that the entire story happened in one night only, the characters' were not fully explored, especially that of the young boy. I would have wanted to know more about his issues with his family and friends. It would have also helped if I knew more about the prostitute's past and present story.

It is a good thing that Jaclyn Jose portrayed the lead female role. Her effective performance makes her character interesting and sympathetic. The only problem is her great acting shows how amateur her co-actor is. Angelo Ilagan looks good onscreen but his performance is so wooden, stilted that you don't care about his character. On the other hand, this is his first movie. I hope he'll become a better actor as he gains more experience.

Sarong Banggi is a good first effort from the writer-director. Knowing how creative Emman can be, I am sure that he will be able to come up with a great film to follow this one. That is something that everyone can look forward to.