The Football Thread

Labuyo

yep Derby sucks especially when they didnt even bother signing more players to help them improve the team, i mean they were just barely good in the championship.

what can i say United still look nervous out there, it seems like alex ferguson hasnt got the right balance yet with the squad. Tevez, Anderson, Scholes and Rooney play a similar role, while Saha seems like the only true striker for United.

derby welcome to the epl...haha

chelsea lost 2-0?!

redshirt lumalaki na lamang mo sa fantasy league ha....galing!

haha. thanks. last season lagi me top 10 sa Philippines... Ngayon lang nagka aberya dahil na suspend si rooney and nag kakalat ang united and chelsea...

Masyado kasi ako umasa sa Old boys this season... Natuugan ko na yan si Anelka,Richards,Utaka.... Sayang

weeeeeeee! Chelsea has lost... Chelsea has lost....

Dapat matalo ng United ang Everton next week. I have a bad feeling about LIV.... Iba talaga ang may F. Torres factor.

Edited by redshirt

although i support liverpool in the epl (kase yun na talaga team ko before), i must commend arsene wenger and arsenal:

first, because along with barcelona (shempre i had to mention my fave team hehe), they play the most attractive football in europe. funny how before wenger came along, arsenal were dubbed the most boring team in england.

second, they built the team without spending an outrageous amount of money in the transfer market. they spend wisely, bringing in youth players and developing them. just look at fabregas (free transfer from barcelona), van persie (just $5m from feyenoord) and denilson ($6.5m from Sao Paolo). all future world class players...

Edited by damaso
although i support liverpool in the epl (kase yun na talaga team ko before), i must commend arsene wenger and arsenal:

first, because along with barcelona (shempre i had to mention my fave team hehe), they play the most attractive football in europe. funny how before wenger came along, arsenal were dubbed the most boring team in england.

second, they built the team without spending an outrageous amount of money in the transfer market. they spend wisely, bringing in youth players and developing them. just look at fabregas (free transfer from barcelona), van persie (just $5m from feyenoord) and denilson ($6.5m from Sao Paolo). all future world class players...

For me I find LIV attractive eventhough I dislike the club. Real is now playing like they should be again.

http://www.footytube.com/category/videos/s...h-primera-liga/ VIL 0-5 RMAD

I agree with you damaso... I am an Arsenal supporter ever since... Although they lost the face of the franchise (in my opinion) Henry, Wenger didn't do bad in getting quality players without spending much. He believed in buying cheaper "potential" than the more costly "developed" talent. So far they are having a good start... Go Gunners!

I agree with you damaso... I am an Arsenal supporter ever since... Although they lost the face of the franchise (in my opinion) Henry, Wenger didn't do bad in getting quality players without spending much. He believed in buying cheaper "potential" than the more costly "developed" talent. So far they are having a good start... Go Gunners!

At last may fellow Gooner na ko dito....hehe

this except has been lifted from Arsenal website:

Wenger - We don’t need to buy stars, we can make them

By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger admits that he prefers to make stars rather than buy them.

The transfer window slammed shut last Friday and, yet again, the Arsenal manager did not attempt to bolster his squad with a big name. All of his four signings over the summer — Eduardo, Bacary Sagna, Lukasz Fabianski and Lassana Diarra - can be labelled as ‘talented and upcoming’ rather than ‘established and world famous’. But, Wenger argues, his policy of buying young and integrating early will bring dividends soon.

“We want to be faithful to the policy in the Club,” he said. "We have a team that can develop in the next four or five years.

“I feel we are in the process of turning Cesc Fabregas, Denilson and Abou Diaby into world-class players.

“It may not be so long before we are on top again. If you ask me if we have the potential to achieve success this year then I say ‘yes without a doubt’. It is important not to relate only success with money.

"I feel we make superstars. We have a feel for the game and the way we want to play football is linked to development and therefore you have to take your time a little bit. If you find an extra special player then OK.

“But I have not seen a number of what you might call world class players. World class prices maybe but not world class players.”

Wenger pointed out that he had funds to buy bigger this summer and chose not to. He argues his side’s start to the season is justification in itself of his policy.

"We are not short of money,” said the Frenchman. “We have done very well and our [financial] results will come out soon, you will see.

“I really don't know why everybody wants us to buy. We have started the season well, qualified for the Champions League and are playing in a convincing way.

"I am not scared to spend money. If it’s for a player I feel who is what I need, of course I will do it. But [the number of] really world class players are really small. And then you have to get to a level of players who are better than you have already.

“And I think the players we have are stars.”

true, the best thing about arsenal is its ability to identify and develop future stars. its a bit sad though that for supposedly an english team, there arent plenty of english stars on the team which i believe is important for english football in general. however, the evolution of a community driven football to a modern corporate football has also transformed how english teams are managed particularly in its dealings with english players.

ferguson once remarked that he before he only had to deal with players themselves regarding their contracts. now he has to go through agents who can be barriers during negotiations. whether it is a good thing or not, depends on how you would look at it. take a look at the case of heinze.

so how things are at with the new season. i know that man u is having a sputtering start. and liverpool is now finding its cutting edge through fernando torres. and real madrid is getting plaudits for the way theyre playing, surprisingly through sneijder (tama ba spelling?) instead of robben- who i think spends more time injured than playing. sad.